Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
And a little WWYD in this situation: DS is very, very good at math. They play a game in his classroom called around the world where they race against each other to answer addition/subtraction problems in their heads. Anyway, DS always wins the game. But yesterday, another kid actually won, and the entire class applauded the other kid for quite a while because they were thrilled that Jacob finally lost. Finally, their teacher called them on it, but now DS is feeling like a) his classmates don't like him to win, and therefore b) he needs to "throw" the game for his classmates to like him . So, how would you address this?
Sorry, this was sitting in my reply window from Friday.

What would I do? I would go to the school board meeting and ask them to ditch Everyday Math. I spit nails every time I hear DD's room is playing this game, and they play it at least once a week.

My dislikes:
*It gives those kids who know the facts the best and fastest the most practice.
*It makes errors very public.
*It leads to competition between kids in a curriculum that is otherwise somewhat cooperative.
*It singles out those that are best and worst at this skill, leading kids to extrapolate to thinking they are good/bad at math in general.
*It leads to mocking of those who are generally quite good but occasionally falter.

My biggest complaint is actually the first, but it's the last one that has lead to misery in my house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
bec

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
Zub--I have a BlendTec,
Ok, can't read about a BlendTec without posting Will It Blend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
and I have a black fleece to learn to card and maybe spin or felt into something. Don't know what, and have no idea how to begin, but still.
Jo - My mom teaches spinning, dying, etc. Here's her Teaching Schedule and website. I could put you in touch with her by email, if you are interested!

Tri class tonight. I've been on again off again about whether to to do some strength training before hand. I'm leaning towards not. It's been over a week since my last rest day, and I'm not getting one until Thursday (I think), so we'll have to see.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Sorry, this was sitting in my reply window from Friday.

What would I do? I would go to the school board meeting and ask them to ditch Everyday Math. I spit nails every time I hear DD's room is playing this game, and they play it at least once a week.

My dislikes:
*It leads to competition between kids in a curriculum that is otherwise somewhat cooperative.
*It singles out those that are best and worst at this skill, leading kids to extrapolate to thinking they are good/bad at math in general.
*It leads to mocking of those who are generally quite good but occasionally falter.

My biggest complaint is actually the first, but it's the last one that has lead to misery in my house.
Thank you Wendy, for articulating so WELL my anxiety surrounding this kind of game. Katie is on the other end of the spectrum as far as math facts goes, and she would deal with this sort of game by simply not participating. She would simply not try, and then would be upset and disheartened by not being able to perform under pressure. With Emily knowing her facts better than her big sister, part of the reason that there is harmony in the house, and Katie doesn't feel pressured or anxious about it is by not doing activities that highlight these differences. Katie asked me not to give both of them timed tests together (yes, they both enjoy doing them, just not at the same time) or contests where I give a problem and they "race" to get the answer. The result is that Katie is starting to gain confidence as she internalizes those facts. But, every tiny step take such an effort on her part. Anything that undermines that confidence and those accomplishments just make me and for her. This is one of the reasons I adore her teacher this year. She is so positive and supportive of Katie. She spends her energy supporting her learning of the areas that are difficult for her, while really focusing and highlighting her strengths. It has made for a very good year, even with some very difficult concepts introduced to her.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Thank you Geo and Bec. Geo, I wholeheartedly agree with your entire assessment of this game. It doesn't seem to do much of anything for the majority of the children in the classroom. Jacob seems to have "gotten over it" (he's like that), but I can see Kay totally falling apart when put in this kind of competitive situation. I'm not thrilled in general with Everyday Math, to be honest. Thank you both .

DH dropped me off at Kohl's yesterday and took all the 3 kids to Lowe's so I could shop for bras in peace (recall the "Wow! These boobies are huge!" episode with both DDs from a few weeks ago ). Well, whouldn't you know that Kohl's has stopped carrying the Playtex Almost-A bras and the saleslady suggested I try the teen department . Here I am, 42 years old on Wednesday, shopping for bras in the teen department ! I did find one nice 34A that wasn't baggy or overly padded (what is up with that gel stuff????) plus a pair of pants and 3 shirt . Only FM yesterday was a family bike ride through the neighborhood. Tonight I'm getting out on my road bike as soon as DH walks in the door. This weather is too perfect not to ride!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

yay for mr jaygee! 3 kids in Lowes is almost as bad as kohls.

On the bras in the teen dept. Here's the deal: when I was 14 there was no "teen" bra dept. You went right over to the regular women's underwear area. I think they recently decided they could put them in the teen/girl section.

And I also say if you can wear a teen sized anything: good for you!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
My dislikes:
Add to the above a biggie (bec's comment made me remember):

*It shifts the emphasis from improving relative to your own abilities to improving relative to a classmates.

Really, the importance is to improve these skills, not to be better than classmates.

Jaygee, I can go on and on and on and on about the problems with EM. What's too bad about it is that I actually like the way it teaches kids to understand mathematical principles. It's the implementation that is a horror show.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Jay, I recently found myself swiping a bra from DD's underwear drawer. I was also once told by a VS employee that "they don't make that size in bras" (even though, at the time, I was wearing a VS 34AA). I don't know what's up with the gel stuff, and I'm a bit irritated that all the bras in the teen department are either solid cups (which don't work for my saggy girls, I end up with empty space up top) or ultra thin (which doesn't work for the very reason I need a bra...hello, nipples!). To add insult to injury, Costco no longer sells my beloved shelf camis, they have been replaced by these whisper thin jobs that really sere no purpose in my world. Sigh. I'm glad you found something that works for you, it gives me hope.

Everyday Math is the bane of my existence for a variety of reasons. Courtney NEEDS mastery before moving on to another skill. Knowing Ellie, any of the games that make her perform in public are going to be an issue. And for me....why can't they just teach them to divide? Why 14 methods to learn the same skill?

Carpool this morning, then off to do a fairly flat 4'ish miles in town.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Everyday Math is the bane of my existence for a variety of reasons. Courtney NEEDS mastery before moving on to another skill. Knowing Ellie, any of the games that make her perform in public are going to be an issue. And for me....why can't they just teach them to divide? Why 14 methods to learn the same skill?
: This is exactly the kind of thing I like about EM. There are a lot of different ways I divide, depending on the problem. To use EM-speak, if I only know the one algorithm I learned in school, this can become rather cumbersome and lead me to only be able to figure out the exact answer. Sometimes I just need and approximation. Sometimes I can use a different method for a more elegant solution when doing something more complicated. I can calculate my running pace on long runs with my RPs in situations in which my RPs cannot. They don't have the variety of heuristics on hand to be able to do it quickly and accurately without a calculator. I suspect that the method I use (dividing the minutes evenly into the miles run, multiplying remaining minutes to seconds, add to second remaining, then dividing for seconds per mile...) is something that is similar to one of the EM division algorithms.

Disclaimer: I've only read about the 14 methods of division on EM because DD has not been aloud to move ahead on division despite being ready and begging her teachers to do it. The teachers do not have the tools to allow one child to compact the curriculum. <- One my my main complaints.

The real problem comes when the teachers don't really understand it themselves. They understand the algorithms, but not the underlying number theory. Most of the teachers are reading a script to the kids. Word for word. They have to read the script because it doesn't make intuitive sense to them.

The next major problem is that the kids don't get decent examples of the situations in which one algorithm is better than another. They're taught that they're all the same. They're not, of course. This leads to significant confusion amongst everyone involved.

OK, enough EM ranting. Gorgeous weather today. Looking forward to a run tonight.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM

You just hit the nail on the head, actually. If I felt like the kids were being taught a true understanding of the different methods and when they were appropriate it would be a different story. Instead it seems that the teachers teach the few that they really understand well in an engaging fashion, then go through the motions with others. DD's 5th grade teacher this year is an exception, but he was a CPA in another life and numbers are his thing.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
ITA with Geofizz. My kids are not school age yet, but I was a middle school math teacher before I had Ruby. Kids are either fast and accurate at those minute math things, or slower and accurate, or fast and inaccurate, or cannot do them. Either which way, it is not an educational tool in any way. Just emphasizes the different learning styles kids have, and in a competitive and pointless way.

jaygee-yay for bra shopping in peace! I was just in Kohl's on Saturday alone and thought about trying on bras. I am so out of the bra loop! I have only worn nursing bras for four years now, which I buy at my sister's store. Soon I will need to buy a regular one without snaps and clips. Enjoy your new bra and clothes. Nothing better than cute clothes that fit and feel good, especially when you can pick them out without pressure from your kids crawling under the dressing room walls and freaking out the woman next to you!

FM, I appreciate all the positive stories about LeCreuset. I think I am gonna buy the dutch oven and use it for ALL pan needs from now on. I cook a lot, and I just can't justify spending less for something I will need to replace again, like my silly Emeril non-stick pans I inherited with my husband six years ago. They were never used before I moved in, and now they are shot!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Just got caught up and wanted to quickly post about my race on Sat. There were over 400 people in the 5K which for a race in a park on one lane of a two lane road or a greenway/bike path seemed like a lot. Maybe I have forgotten but it seemed like it took longer than usual to get spread out. I totally missed the start line and never saw the mile 1 marker so timing with my watch was a mess. I felt pretty good during, and with about .25 left I tried to push the pace and got that "I'm gonna hurl" feeling pretty quickly, so I had to back off. Finished in 33:05 which was kind of disappointing. My (adult) 5K PR is 25:43... so I have a lot of work to do to get back to where I used to be. I had major GI distress the rest of the day... never had that happen to that degree after a race. At least I felt good during!

One funny thing, DD apparently asked DH the night before if I was going to be running in the race or driving a racecar! DH and kids didn't come to the race - the logistics were just too hard, but hopefully another one this summer.

Geo, thanks for the plan for adding a 4th run. It sounds perfect.

I'm looking at another 5K in May (that also has a children's race and a toddler trot) and then I need a 10K to submit proof of time for Disney. I only have 2 local options - one is at the end of May, so probably too soon, and the other is August 14. I need to put together a training plan.

Going to get out for 3 miles today.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 PM

JayGee: I can't bra-shop at Victoria's Secret or similar stores because even on their smallest size the cups are huge and widely spaced like a couple of saucers. I've shopped at specialty bra stores since I was 16 (the kind of place where they fit you for a bra). They cost a lot more, but they also last and I wear them every. single. day. I bought 2 bras at VS when I was in Vegas (no VS in Canada), they weren't cheap either and they didn't last a year.

GeoFizz: I am not a math person and that post made my head spin a little LOL I wish they would have taught us math in a way that made it easier to remember and more applicable to everyday life. TBH I barely remember a single thing that I ever learned in math class, and I feel like my brain actually shuts down when confronted with numbers of any kind.

I'm starting to feel anxious about my half marathon. I feel like I'm not where I wanted to be by now, and I'm worried that I won't be ready

I have to register by the end of April, and I really don't want to back down, so I'd better get my tush into gear.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I can calculate my running pace on long runs with my RPs in situations in which my RPs cannot. They don't have the variety of heuristics on hand to be able to do it quickly and accurately without a calculator. I suspect that the method I use (dividing the minutes evenly into the miles run, multiplying remaining minutes to seconds, add to second remaining, then dividing for seconds per mile...) is something that is similar to one of the EM division algorithms.
Woah, I have such diminished mental capacity when I'm running that it's a pretty big accomplishment if I can correctly figure out how many miles I have left to run.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
: I can calculate my running pace on long runs with my RPs in situations in which my RPs cannot. They don't have the variety of heuristics on hand to be able to do it quickly and accurately without a calculator. I suspect that the method I use (dividing the minutes evenly into the miles run, multiplying remaining minutes to seconds, add to second remaining, then dividing for seconds per mile...) is something that is similar to one of the EM division algorithms.
Geo, this is how I pass the time on my long runs. I do it while swimming too. I'm perpetually calculating pace . Goofy, I know. By the way, I wished you were with me today when I took DD to the river by our favorite playground. There are a million geodes and fossils there and I was trying in vain to explain exactly what they were (in a way a 3 year old could understand). Seriously, the first thought to go through my mind when she started asking questions was, "Man, I wish Wendy was here to explain this stuff!"

DD2 and I had the most fabulous time at the park today collecting geodes, skipping rocks, picking wildflowers and having a picnic. It found it absolutely mind-boggling that we were the ONLY ones there for over 2 hours on a 75 degree afternoon. Where ARE all the people???

Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM

To add to the general bra rant..... At some point, people, you DON'T need the padding anymore...HELLO...................

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Hey ladies. To begin w/ I want to apologize for not keeping up w/ the personal stuff on this thread. You ladies post so much so fast and I'm the type that feels if I'm going to reply to anyone I should read every post. So I feel like I'm thread crashing when I post on here

My first race yesterday went well. My unofficial time is 1:11:23 , which is not what the clock above the finish said I'm disappointed cause I thought I finished under 1:10 and was so excited about it. Is that normal for the clock to be wrong? Should I just expect that every race? I was the only person I saw in VFFs and I ended up trying to hide before line up cause people kept staring at me BEfore I finished tho one guy ran up to me and said he had seen one guy wearing them to, but he was way ahead apparently.

Picked up some socks for my VFFs today - hoping it will solve my heel blistering problem they are giving me on my left foot. Experience/Opinions? I ended up running the last half mile yesterday barefoot cause my heel hurting so much.

Bikeriders - I know a lot of you dingos also ride. I was thinking of pulling out my old bike and giving it a try, but after pricing new tires, seat, and chain it's gonna cost about $70 to fix. So wwyd? fix my old schwinn or buy a new bike? What are the outs and ends of bike shopping? Keeping in mind I'm not looking to buy something professional, just something that would work well for lots of miles

Thanks for being so helpful ladies!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Oh trust me, I really do need padding in my bras! Actually, that's the only reason I even wear a bra.

OE- great job on your race! I'm thinking the race wasn't chip timed and you spent some time just getting to the start line. I'm sure you did break 1:10. Generally, I don't like socks with my VFFs unless I need the warmth, but then I've never had blister issues in them either. Can't hurt to try it. I'm sure a "real" barefooter would just advise you to ditch the VFFs altogether.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM

it was chipped. That's why I'm sad. The clock above was just under 1:10 and I was literally at the back of the pack at gunfire so I just knew my chip time would be closer to 1:05. posted: guntime 1:13 and chip time 1:11

well thats what I did and my feet did not appreciate the hot pavement but they did it

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM

DrJen, can you put me down for NARAL Run for Your Rights?

FM today: 4.01 miles in 40:50. Had it not been for mile 3, otherwise known as the hill that will never end, I would have been sub-10. That makes me smile.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM

No running today for me. The weather is cold and rainy/windy. I am going to bed early and aiming for an early run tomorrow. DH is out of town the rest of the week, then the rest of next week after a day home.

I wish I could figure out an easier way to run with the kids, but I am going to try and take advantage of the warmer weather and maybe find a field I can run around.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 PM

I know a lot of you are fighting to get back to what you were doing in HS track. Me? I was running 10 minute miles on a good day -- that is, days I only had to run a mile.

Tonight:

5 miles, 42:50.

First 5k was 25:44 (8:18 pace), so I blew that goal for 2010 out of the water. The 4th mile hurt, 5th felt good again but was HARD. Lovely chat with RP who I'll now call the chipper gazelle.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Oh trust me, I really do need padding in my bras! Actually, that's the only reason I even wear a bra.
Me too. Even while nursing I mostly need a bra because something needs to hold the nursing pads.

DrJen, can you put me down for the Rendezvous Run for Independence on July 3? http://www.winterpark-info.com/index...s&eventID=2681

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 PM

I ran 3.5 on the TM before work this AM and followed the run with some weights and ab work. My back is bugging from all the bent-over-clutching-animals jobs and I feel like I am holding my discs in place by sheer force of will. So I am doing what I can to keep that low back moving. Also getting a visit from AF, so at least I'm on the positive side of my dysmorphia today.

I set up my second batch of yogurt this AM before I left...and now I want a good (read:easy) granola recipe so I can make parfaits to pack for lunches. How awesome does that sound? I just went grocery shopping, too, so the house is loaded with produce.

Want to try for 5 tomorrow morning, but to do that I am going to have to get better with the waking up and getting stuff done. Had too much trouble getting out of bed this morning and it was 7 before I got out to milk. No good. I need to be done in the barn by 7. So off I go to bed.

OE, we're just glad you're joining us for the thread, the chats and the running.

Wendy, holy f@$%mole! Send some of that fast this way.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 AM

Wow Geo! Great run!

I finally got out on my bike tonight and rode for an hour. It was wonderful, but I'm beginning to wonder if I've done something bad (read: stress fracture) to my foot from my messed up gait. The bone leading to my big toe is THROBBING!

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting a friend to walk. We'll see how the ol' foot feels about that...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 AM

Bras....ugg due to weight loss from running and going off the pill I am now way down--I have passed my now too large ones on to my 13 y.o. dd.

Oh well.

Great run today. Looking forward to doing another 8-9 miler this week,

Dh has been invited back for a 2nd interview on Thurs. Prayers, well wishes, and good vibes are much appreciated.

I have to say I miss my old bra size
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 AM

I will never catch up but I came here for the dingo hug.

La4 your mom-crush is making me

Geo, you are really smokin!

my 8 9? yo neighbor girl wears a bigger bra than I do.

I like my le creuset and my vitamix but for different purposes.

I perpetually calculate anything when I am running (or any other workout) also. If nothing else I will count my steps.

I had my last day of this class and it went amazingly well except she lost some of my project hours in her email inbox whatever that means. I want this to be over. I swear I will track my CEU/CERPS much better from now on. (I still say the biggest thing I learned was that my family still needs me here. I have no idea why I am putting us all through this.) I ate for doo-doo while I was gone and am feeling it. Tomorrow will be a horrendous day of catch up and I am going to bed before it is time to run the roads and run the day. I'll try to be more personable soon.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I did find one nice 34A that wasn't baggy or overly padded (what is up with that gel stuff????) plus a pair of pants and 3 shirt . Only FM yesterday was a family bike ride through the neighborhood. Tonight I'm getting out on my road bike as soon as DH walks in the door. This weather is too perfect not to ride!
fyi, i went totally out on a limb and ordered a 34AA from macys.com (had a g.c. and needed bras) - they had one style so i figured wth! it rocks - if you go to their "bra finder" tool, you can selected by size, and then this one pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Woah, I have such diminished mental capacity when I'm running that it's a pretty big accomplishment if I can correctly figure out how many miles I have left to run.
yeah, but *trying to do math while i run keeps my brain really occupied!

no fm today - home with ds (tonsilectomy on friday - really he is f.i.n.e. but why not take some quiet time?), dr. appt., garden store, and a solo trip to ikea. whee!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 AM

Ok, I swear, I will be back to personals starting tomorrow when I don't have to spend 2+ hrs in the car and/or 3+ hrs on a plane.

I did catch Geo's smokin' fast 5 miler though. and

I ran today! Only a little over 3.5 miles, first run in a week. It actually felt pretty good, leg-wise, but my cardio definitely plummeted during my little lull. Oh well. Time to start building back up!

And we're home. Ahhh, home. Not unpacked, and the house is a disaster, but we're home. I have a list of things to do tomorrow that's as long as my arm. Lots of phone calls, need to find the form to file an extension for taxes, start working on the immunization stuff for school, etc. Fun stuff...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Geo, that is totally fast! I'm impressed!

Modmom, fingers crossed for your dh. The job hunting, it is a journey.

I meant to run yesterday but drank gin instead. So I'm going to drag my sorry self out and run 4 outside in the muggy dark.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM

OMG, I got out my schedule for soccer this summer... I've got both kids playing the same night, same time, two different parks in town. Plus ds has practice another night of the week...and all of this takes place during the time when I am now milking goats. If I move up milking time, this will mean getting to the barn by 5AM. Hm. And the coach I am assisting has not yet called me. wtf? I don't feel ready to have non-preschoolers...and yet here I am with kids who are getting their own schedules. Crumps.

Also, both kids need new passports...and we're embarking on the adventure of regular orthodontist visits. And dh will be gone for the month. And I feel like I need to keep going to work through the month of May just to help out with the finances...I'm freaking out a little and am not sure who to discuss this with so I can find good solutions.

mommajb, I get what you're feeling about putting the family through this...here's a big Dingo hug.

tjs, enjoy being home for a bit before jumping on the list. I've got mine here, too. I am not a list-maker, and I am not good with keeping the planner up-to-date, but I am feeling that all that has to change now.

User Tag List