Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
This is a class where I had to say really gently last week, "You don't have to be poor or stupid to have an unplanned pregancy. Half of pregnancies in this country are unplanned." So. It has been a challenge to get college-age students to shake some of their preconceptions!
If you like, you can share with them that your friend, a happily married, PhD in science, has two children. Both of them were unplanned. It would be *so* fun to have unprotected sex huh?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#362 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Serial posting to add: I bow to you P. for teaching these tough subjects. I thought evolution was bad enough (in a dept. with a bio prof who actively does not believe in evolution). Regardless of where you fall on these rather touchy subjects, thinking around them IMO lets you strengthen your decisions on how you feel about them.

To add to the discussion re: unplanned pregnancies, choices people make surrounding them -- it might be worth considering how although the act of creating the baby requires both partners, the woman really has to deal with the consequences. Why is it socially a stigma for a woman to choose to abort/give up for adoption their child, but a man who doesn't support said child isn't socially penalized?

#363 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Happy Birthday JayGee! Enjoy your day no matter how you spend it and for your dh.

We are going to work on bicycle riding today. Charlotte still stops to turn corners and Linus thinks he is too small for the skuut all of a sudden.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#364 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another aspect is that college students tend to view the world in black and white, amplified by living amongst other college students who often share their views, and not softened by having experienced any real life.

I almost think climate and evolution are easier to teach than these political issues. In a science class, I can clearly establish the scientific method and show what is consistent and inconsistent with it.
#365 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I almost think climate and evolution are easier to teach than these political issues. In a science class, I can clearly establish the scientific method and show what is consistent and inconsistent with it.

#366 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Jaygee! And for DH!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#367 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
bec

Happy Birthday, JayGee!

Penelope - I so respect and admire you for trying to open these kids' eyes, while respecting their values. To make them think of a deeper issue, rather than just repeating a party line. That's tough!

Jen - On my 5k, I got a 35:10 and DH got a 35:04 for our times!

FM: I got into the pool today. Did a bunch of drills for about an hour, until I gave up. It felt forced today. I'm tired (time for a rest day!), and I didn't have time for coffee this morning, so I'm way under caffeinated! Time to fix that. The leg is feeling better, but really not where I want it to be yet. The knee is starting to heal, too. I'm tired of being wounded.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#368 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Happy birthday, JayGee!

FM: 4.25 on the TM @ 9:33 pace followed by 2mi on the elliptical in 18 min.

Gorgeous weather, hoping I can leave work early and somehow squeeze in some outdoor FM this PM.
#369 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Well, I survived track. It wasn't pretty, but I did it. 4 x 600 (400 strong, 200 hard) with 200 recoveries. The first one felt great, and then I totally died on the next 3, and the splits show it! Oh well, it's a start, right?

Grocery store and cleaning are on today's agenda, then X is coming to pick up DS this afternoon and keep him until bedtime tomorrow. Aaaah. I get to sleep in the morning!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#370 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Happy birthday, Jaygee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#371 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Happy Birthday Jaygee!!!!

Penelope, my mom talks about having these issues with her college students all the time. Also, that they seem to have "skipped" feminism and have no idea how great they have it, etc! I know there's more to it than that, but I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job, if hard. (and I am also the Masters Degree holding mother of a four and a half year old "spontaneous moment")

I haven't been running; sick with this bronchial nasty. But GET THIS: dh asked if I was going to run this Friday and I said that it's my plan if I continue to get better....he had a weird look on his face and I said, "what?" OMG he wants to run WITH me for the first few miles! this hasn't happened since grad school. I'm SO glad bc he is generally healthy and very thin (looks like he runs, but doesn't) but has no cardio fitness and I worry about him, and so this is kind of cool!

Also, he's running barefoot.

take care mamas, hope all is well and I should have caught up on Monday when I was home sick in a haze but all I did was surf vacation sites
#372 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM

OK, so I survived the day with just two "D'oh" moments at work. Yes, this is what happens when I start stretching too thin. Just dumb stuff, but easy mistakes to make, and luckily easy to fix. Unlike forgetting my underwear as happened yesterday.

I have a sinking feeling dh is going to insist on working the garden until sundown tonight, which sucks because I need to milk the goats and 5 is just too early. We'll see. He has been leaving early for work because of bridge and ramp closings on the highway, so I want to cut him slack...but at the same time, he absolutely doesn't fathom the chaos I tame and the running from point to point that I do in a day, all out of his sight so he has a serene (if demanding) life.

I was just thinking about last summer and how was my smilie of choice. I am beginning to be drawn to it again, and I see that as a warning sign. Funny, I know.

Sorry it's so all about me. I'm going to do everything I can to take this Friday off work. I have ds's friend coming home with him, then dinner with dh's boss, and Saturday I am picking up bee supplies and helping friends slaughter. I need some weekend, so I'll have to sneak it in on Friday.
#373 of 815 Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Wow. What an active thread! I'd like to jump in.
I've always run to maintain weight and beat stress. Some years I've run more and some less.
I truly discovered the value of running in chiro school when I was broke, kind of alone and taking 32 hours a quarter! I work for a chiropractic seminar company doing student outreach and plan to transition back into private practice this summer or fall.
I have 3 kids...15yo DD, 13yo DS1 and 8yo DS2. DH isn't much of a runner but he'll come out with me on weekends.
I prefer to run alone anyway. Just me, the sunrise and the Greatful Dead on my iPod.
So I run to get rid of the 45 year old spread.
Shessh. It used to be all I had to do was run. Now I have to seriously watch what I eat and lift weights too.
Nevertheless, running is and always has been the mainstay of my mental and physical fitness regimen.
Two races coming up...Mother's Day Title 9K and Bolder Boulder 10K. I'm right on track with my longest runs being 5 miles. I'm trying to work in some speed training so I can kick it in a bit this year. I just found out about an Earth Day 5K that might be fun to do timed.
I have short semi-speed run planned for tomorrow. Gotta get up at 5 to squeeze it all in. Good thing I'm a morning person!
#374 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 AM

chiromamma. Welcome! I'm also planning to do Bolder Boulder, if I can scrounge up the entry fee.

I just got back from a fantastic spur-of-the-moment girls' night out with my best friend. We hadn't talked in several days, and when we talked this afternoon, we both realized that we were kid-free for the evening, so we met up at restaurant to sit in the bar and have drinks and apps. It was soooo wonderful to get caught up and just relax and have grown-up conversation. I can't remember the last time we were able to get together without any kids!

#375 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 AM

Oh, Dingoes. Today was the BEST BIRTH EVER.

Of course, I got the call just as I was about to head out for my run, but let's just say it was worth it. The day ended with a massage and adjustment, then a gorgeous sunny soccer practice. Will try to run during DD's practice tomorrow...or not.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#376 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM

Good Morning!

memiles ~ you cannot tease like that and not give at least a few birth details !

tjsmama ~ sounds like a great night out. I meant to ask you if you've ever gotten individualized stroke coaching for swimming? I found that the only way I got faster was by fixing tiny little things that only a coach on deck/underwater could see. Little things like my elbows not being high enough, or the way my hand enters the water, or having too much crossover on entry. When I fixed those things, I automatically cut :15 from my 100m times. Just an idea...

chiromomma

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes here and on Facebook. I had a GREAT day starting with 2200m in the pool, lunch and the library with my little DD, and my most favorite GF pizza for dinner !

This morning I'm walking another 8 with my friend while DD2 is at preschool. Oh, how I want to run!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#377 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM

Welcome chiromama! It sounds likeyou have quite a few races coming up and are great about getting out there consistently.

Gaye, a mature night out sounds divine.

Megan, since you missed your run and all it is a good thing it was such a great birth.

Thanks for the hugs dingos. Why am I struggling so much now? I made it through winter (with some hard work) and now I am falling apart. I always run at 5:00 and I ran late last Thursday and now I **** need to run today. I don't get it. I'll report back in, maybe with more personals, after I do some hair for the girls, walk them to school and RUN.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#378 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Me: Hi I'm Kristin. I have a problem with change.
Ya'll: Hi Kristin, welcome to the group.

Mommajb I'm struggling too. Any major change is really really hard for me and even worse: not knowing what might happen in the future. Add in a colleague who is in charge of the job search I'm in right now and I'm completely . Unable to work, unable to function at home. Blech. I just keep on and know that this too will pass: either I will get the job or I will not. Life will proceed.

I managed 2 miles yesterday on the treadmill: late getting there, then had to be home for dinner on time (because I rant about dh being late when he says he'll be home 2 minutes before I say we're eating). So I cut my run short, get home and could have easily had 20 more minutes.

I'm all about me today too. I'm back at the "I hold a phd in science and I think I might really want to be a nursery school teacher". If only you could make money doing preschool.....

#379 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Jaygee~I sooooo know your feeling of wanting to run. mama

RR: worked out on monday, killer work out, but then have been fighting some sort of cold this week. ds2 has bronchitis, ds1 feels "bad" (probably the cold we have), ds3 has yucky snot only occasionally, but in a bucket each time (I've taken to blowing his nose with a super soft paper towel!) and he even took an hour nap the other day (hasn't napped in years) and still fell asleep at bed time.

I work six days this week, long hours, so I have been sneaking in naps and going to bed after work each night.

did I tell you about step daughters drugs? if not I'll fill you in.

Okay, need to get kids ready for school, I'll check back in later this morning after a much needed shower.

Memiles~did you receive any package yet??
#380 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
bec

Kerc - Having just gone through the job search and wait (by proxy through DH), I can assure you that it will pass. I have been thinking about you and hoping for the best, and sending you good vibes!!!

JayGee, RM - I am with you on the SOOOO wanting to run. This is the first rest day I've had in almost 2 weeks, but it seems like I haven't been doing anything, because I haven't been running. Nothing cuts it like running. Nothing. Here's to all of us getting some good, healthy, injury and stress free runs soon!

Rest day today! Abby's class is having a field trip. It's only going to be for an hour and a half, so the moms in the class are going to have breakfast nearby! I'm excited to have some childless mama time!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#381 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Kerc--I'm so sorry that things are still in limbo and you're still feeling so stressed about it. I hope you hear something soon.

mommajb--Sometimes it's something very small that marks the breaking point for me, too. I'm sorry you've been feeling overwhelmed and underappreciated. I've been there.

tjsmama--Hooray for a night out without kids!

memiles--Hooray for a great birth!

chiromamma--Welcome to the thread! It's good to have some new folks here.

1jooj--I hope you can find some down time at some point. You've been working so hard lately!

Penelope--It sounds like a tough class you're teaching. It's hard when people choose not to try to see different sides of an argument, especially if you job is to help open minds.

Zubeldia--I know it was a little while ago, but I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope things work out in her favor.

Hello, folks! It's been a few days, since I took a couple of days off from running and it makes me feel like a bit of a slacker when I come here and post but I haven't been running. It's an aspect of my personality I'm working on, convincing myself that I can still be a runner even if I don't run every day. I recently read a book, a memoir, and one of the pieces of advice the woman gives herself is "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I tend to be that way, such a perfectionist that I think if I can't do it all, why bother doing anything? Recognizing it is the first step in stopping it, right?

Anyway, yesterday and this morning I did run, which felt good. I've upped my mileage just slightly, to 3.7 every morning, and I'm scouting out a way to add that last .3 miles for an even 4. The weather here is finally getting tolerable; I think I may, in fact, have survived the winter.

DD managed to get her first tick the other day, a development which she found enthralling. I was the bad mom who didn't notice the bloodsucker attached to her back before she skipped off to kindergarten. The school nurse picked at it and got its body but not its head, so we went to the pediatrician, who advised us to just leave it alone and it will fall out on its own. Gross. DD was happy not to have anyone else poke at her, and still managed to convince me I owed her and her brother the bribes I'd offered before leaving the house, thinking we'd have a traumatic visit.

I've given up on DS ever being toilet trained. He's four years and two months, and just CANNOT do it. I'm unbelievably frustrated and embarrassed, but I'm finally following advice from all different directions to just stop trying for awhile and let him figure it out. He is somehow wired differently and can't feel it and I need to respect that and let him learn how his body works. And if he's not there in September, I guess he won't go to preschool. Ugh. I need to step back and tell myself that this is in no way about me, but I find myself thinking people are going to think I'm a bad mother because I can't make this happen. In truth, trying to push it to happen is turning me into a bad mother. It's not about me, it's not about me, it's not about me.....

Right this moment, said DS is also refusing my offer to go to Starbuck's, where if you bring in a reusable mug today, they'll fill it with free coffee. No dice for DS, who doesn't care if his poor undercaffeinated mother gets to have coffee. I'll have to find a way to sneak us to Starbuck's later, after a visit from my mom, grandmother, brother, sister-in-law, and niece. It will be a regular party here this afternoon. Better do some spot-cleaning.
#382 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Consider this a drive-by posting.

Zub: thinking of you and your friend this week.

LaLa: ticks. ISH! I hate those suckers. Although I will say it's bound to be a banner year for bigs here in Northern Minnesota.

Lisa did you say drugs? Stepdaughter? what?!

I've been asked to interview (on campus) finally. Whew.
And just last night I decided to go for the preschool teaching job that's open locally. Hopefully what is meant to be will happen.

#383 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM

La4 - ooohh ticks! living in tennessee, my kids were always full of them. i remember our first as well - i went running to my neighbors with 'what IS this?' freak out and she calmly got it off and the limbs were still in there and all. it did resolve on its own. the WORST was when my ds had about 7 of them all around his privates. i feel like fainting just remembering it. he was so brave.

jaygee - happy (belated) birthday!

kerc- ugh i feel your pain. i had a job interview for a relatively high position at a local outerwear company and they keep dragging out the decision process. it's taken me a few weeks to get to 'if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't' place but i don't have the weight of sole provider on my shoulders either. . hang in there.

welcome to all new dingoes!

tax day. being self employed SUCKS sometimes. huge chunk. i knew it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier to hand it over.

i have not run since my half on march 28 and i have to say, it's been a nice break. my legs feel rested and i kind of don't care that i have to start over again - not completely over, but obviously this break will cost me some mileage. i did run last night- a fun workout at the track where i ran (hard) the straights and walked the curves - over and over and over....i like sprinting and can't do it for very long anyway, so it was a good workout for me.

so.....a friend here who is a serious century-riding road cyclist is trying to talk me into doing a sprint tri this summer - it's called tri-4-fun and is specifically geared for newbies. the problem is i can't swim. at all. i mean, i can NOT drown and i can make like i am doing freestyle but i really can't do it properly.

so my question is this: i don't need adult swim classes for those that are afraid of the water or literally never learned to swim but i also can't do more than maybe two laps. i don't belong to a gym and won't anytime in the near future. our local Y does not allow non-members to take aquatics. i have found a few local parks-rec associated swim program that says 'masters' but i can't figure it out. is that just a group that gets together and does lap swims generally? or could i get stroke technique there?

back to doing my treasure map....suppose i'll put a swim image on there somewhere!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#384 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 PM

For you. DH has an interview this afternoon. Hopefully good news for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Consider this a drive-by posting.

Zub: thinking of you and your friend this week.

LaLa: ticks. ISH! I hate those suckers. Although I will say it's bound to be a banner year for bigs here in Northern Minnesota.

Lisa did you say drugs? Stepdaughter? what?!

I've been asked to interview (on campus) finally. Whew.
And just last night I decided to go for the preschool teaching job that's open locally. Hopefully what is meant to be will happen.
#385 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 PM

poppy, I took adult swim lessons at the YMCA. That's too bad they don't allow non-members, because ours does. I would call and double-check or see if you can just pay for a monthly/whatever membership.

I'm not counting on a run today. I'm trying not to be bummed about missing so much with DH gone. I might figure something out for today, but it's so windy I know the kids won't want to be out.
#386 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM

LaLa,

My ds was not 100% trained at 4, either. We moved that summer, and during the 8 hour drive trucked along the potty chair in the car (for when we stopped, of course!) He'd pee outside sometimes against a tree, but in a toilet at a rest stop? No way. He held it at preschool; he holds it at kindy, but only about 3 or 4 accidents this whole year.

Don't give up. It's nothing you can force. He'll figure it out. I would initiate a conversation now with the preschool; my guess is that he won't be the first kid who needed some help in this arena. Hang in there.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#387 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Nemisis - I know, I was surprised. I thought I could do it but this is what their website says. It's the closest one to me, the others might, but they are not reasonably close by.

Quote:
Q: Do I need a membership for swim lessons?
A: Yes. All participants need to have a level of membership to take swim lessons.
Q: Can I pay a day pass fee to use the pool or take a water aerobics class?
A: We are a membership base only facility and do not offer day passes.
It goes on to say that while they allow kids to pay for a basic program 'membership' for $40 all adults need to sign up for the whole deal. Anyway I think I found an adult swim class at UC Berkeley but am waiting to see if they offer it in the summer. The one they have up now already started and I wanted to wait a bit longer anyway so I can see if I have funds to pay for it.

Did you like the adult class you took? I think a class is what I need, versus some help for novices at a masters swim league

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#388 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM

poppy ~ that's a bummer about the Y. Our Y expressly allows swim lessons for non-members, just at a higher rate. I've been to Masters Swim at a few places. It's usually divided into lanes based on ability/speed with a coach on deck. Most of the people there seem to have some competitive swimming in their past (even if it's just summer swim team from ages 9-14, like me ). My sister's Master's club is uncoached, but one of the members brings the workout each time. You definitely want to find one that is coached if that's the direction you plan to go. Do you go to a city pool? Ours offers private adult lessons there, but of course not until after Memorial Day!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#389 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM

step daughter brought drugs home (some one else's prescrip) and took them. We found out and confronted, she lied to us, we confronted more letting her know we know already! She apologized, then acted like everything was all fine. One of the consequences was to move curfew back up to 10pm, also be open to random checks of purse, room, car for drugs. Next time, there will be no discussion, it will be "pack your things and leave".

So last night, she comes home and asks dh if she can have a later curfew!!!!! Who the he!! does she think she is???? wth???!! so dh txt her this morning about how he can't believe that she would even think of asking that after what happened, and she stomped out of here all angry, for work at noon.

Just got call from my DIL, that step daughter had called her, called my step son, then txt DIL again all right around noon and did I know what it was about. I told her that she is probably going to ask to live with you and here is why, laying it out (remember they just had our gandbaby in December). DIL said that step son would probably say heck no, no matter what, but add drugs into the equation, nope.

geez. geez. geez.

kerc~ mama, this job thing is h.a.r.d.
#390 of 815 Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Kerc,

As another academic who is not doing 'what she trained for' but *is* doing something that is satisfying and makes me happy, I understand the tension you feel. Whatever it is, I'm blessing you that it should be the right thing at the right time, be rewarding for you financially, professionally, emotionally, & spiritually, and give you lots of satisfaction.

La*4, Tick, EEEUUUWWW s. And Poppy the story about your son, OMG makes me want to run crying into the bathroom just imagining. WRT La's son and potty training, my nephew went through this and he is 8 now, and completely fine. He did not train with #2 until well into 5 1/2 years old although he did it only at home, took a diaper into the bathroom, etc. He hated the feeling of being 'open' over the toilet, I guess. You are right of course, and my SIL went through the same thing -- forcing the issue isn't a good idea, and being the 'good mom' means listening to his cues and helping him gently, just as you did when he was an infant. She also took a lot of flack (not the least of which from my parents ) but she is a strong mama and she did/does what's right for her kids. Hang in there.

FM; 4.5 this morning, which was lovely except that I was chasing the garbage truck the last mile which was, in the inimitable words of my son, DEEEEEESGUSTING.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page