Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RR: wah.

The Garmin held up through about 7.5m, and the run generally was pretty good for about 10m, and then I totally crashed. I forgot about bringing a gel or some candy or something () and just ran out of steam. So I walked the last 2m.

The upside: I totally will have a better long run between now and my half; I'll stock back up on gels and stuff; I did finish it out (of course, the alternative was finding a new family to live with at the point where I stopped walking back toward my house.)

And my various leg/knee/whatever bits all held up.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#422 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Hey, penelope, you got it done.

kerc, good luck on the interview.
#423 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Oh, and meant to add, JayGee, kerc, and all yall are totally welcome to visit, should you make it to my lovely state...and if you can't make the farm, let me know where you'll be and maybe we can do a meetup.

Got my much-needed bee supplies. Going to do some bee work tomorrow.
#424 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 PM

If *someone* asks me again to go up to the attic and get her sandals I just might loose it. How many times does one have to tell a 4.5 yr old that you don't have any sandals (other than keens) in her size.

3.5 miles on the treadmill with no ipod. It was a looooong 3.5 miles. Long. But done, eh?

Now I'm crankypants and dealing with 2 tired kids, one of whom is out playing with the 10 yr old neighbor girl. Err, not really playing with. More like the big girls are on the scene, changing up the dynamic of the play, not for the better.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#425 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Off to tryouts, day two. This time I'm packing rescue remedy, some Gu and some sports beans since they have magical powers

Go, Courtney, GO!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#426 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM

memiles ~ good luck with the soccer tryouts today!

Kerc ~ what is it about the attic??? I was just up in mine fetching stuff they "had" to have (ie. ancient scooter, etc.) Glad you got your run in.

Penelope ~ glad you got YOUR run in too! Even if it was cut short by lack of tunes/energy.

I ended up having a GREAT day with my kids. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, some weights, and 20 more minutes on the TM with huge incline this morning. The annual spring 5K/10K was this morning and I felt a pang of jealousy watching all my friends run . This is the first YMCA spring race I've missed since we've lived here. This afternoon we packed a picnic and drove out to Brown County SP (the BEST SP in all of Indiana and only 20 minutes from my house ). The girls rode ponies, we explored several playground areas and finally hiked a 1.2 mile loop around the lake there. We found so many cool wildflowers, ferns, and the best beaver dam! My kids were rockstars on the hike ~ no complaints, no "carry me's", no issues at all ! I am SO glad my kids love this kind of outdoor stuff because it was a huge part of my relationship with DH before we had children and we're champing at the bit to get back out there when the kids are old enough. Looks like they're just about there !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#427 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Well, no fm here again today. It's a rainy and dull gray day and I just could not get motivated at all. Especially since it would have been either pushing the stroller or going to the Y for the hamster wheel. Instead, I got semi-motivated to do some housecleaning. Bathrooms and my bedrooms are cleaned, dusted, and vacuumed. The kitchen and the office are still a disaster, but it's a start. DS has been quite "helpful". Ok, seriously, the kid *wants* to help, but I'm a control freak and have a hard time letting him do anything besides dust. What are some kid-friendly jobs that might actually be kind of useful? Anyone? I currently have him gently dusting the leaves of my jade plant...

I have an interview set up tomorrow with a high school girl to potentially nanny DS this summer. She put a flyer up at DS's preschool, so I called, and everything sounds great. She's 17, is an alumna of the preschool, goes to a very good private school, is a certified lifeguard, has her own car, etc. I talked to a family that she's been babysitting for for 6 years, and the mom pretty much raved about her. And they have three kids. If she can wrangle three kids, I'm pretty sure she can handle my one very mellow kid. So, keep your fingers crossed that it works out. I'm slightly worried about how much she'll want to charge, if she's used to sitting for three kids, but hopefully she's reasonable. This just seems like a good solution for the summer, while giving me a couple of months breathing room on finding a more full-time situation for the fall when school really ramps up.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#428 of 815 Old 04-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi All, reading along but busy and tired. Last night I went to bed at 7pm We're still a sick house and DS is cutting those poor little teeth. What a combination.. and of course it's the most busy time of the semester for me with grading and for DH with assignments to hand in. It's all a bit nutty and the stress if showing up in our bodies, I think. Poor DH has full on bronchitis and the Dr warned him to take it easy because it could become pneumonia

But the end is in sight! I just have to make it to May for the craziness to end a bit.

Jaygee, what a perfect day! Sounds just lovely. Any news on your DH's job situation?

kerc, thinking about you a lot right now. The limbo must feel intolerable. GOOD luck with the interview. You'll rock it, I'm sure (no pun intended). BTW, our dean is a geologist. I wonder if you know his name...

Penelope, boy, do you deserve that run.

Plady eek, woman, that's an awful lot. I hope you're managing in the aftermath. I'm looking forward to that RR

memiles, how was DD today?

Nic, Ash, and La4 I'd totally come down to Boston to hang out with you women! It's really not far, and maybe I can run that 10k. And Jaygee... hope we manage to meet up the end of July

Some FM... elliptical yesterday for 5 miles. I was meant to stay for group power but I was desperate to get back to DS and DH as DH was poorly and DS = well, I was just missing him after a long week. I rowed today for 11k, I'm loosely following a program and it feels good to erg with some intention.

Had a wonderful morning walking with a really great friend. It's like having a soul mate. I rarely see her as we're both so busy but no matter how long goes by we pick up where we left off and connect really easily. I have pretty good social skills but I so often feel a little awkward in most interactions I am really pretty much an introvert and this friend, oddly, makes me feel as though I could totally be extroverted She could be a dingo woman, such is her loveliness - but she doesn't run I actually have more social things planned for tomorrow. I'm going to a Group power class and then meeting friends for lunch!

Can you believe that we had 85 degree weather a week or so ago and it's been SNOWING all day.

to all you out there.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#429 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 12:34 AM

She made it!

We just got a call from the first team coach! He admitted that her tryout on Friday wasn't as strong as he'd hoped, but she redeemed herself today and pulled it out by the skin of her teeth. I'm just thrilled, as this coach is just amazing- he really has a heart for the kids, expects their very best but coaches with love and respect. She has some catching up to do, as she's the only kid who hasn't played at this level before, but I know she plays best when she's pushed by those around her. As she said, she'd rather be the one who's learning on a really good team instead of the star of a not-so-good team. And I figure, if I'm paying the same amount of money, I'll take the good coaching!

We just went out for celebratory ice cream, so I'm already planning my run for tomorrow. Sugar overload!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#430 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Alex, I hope you get caught up an things calm down soon. This is dh's exam week so I m excited that soon things will change up here.

Penelope, good job getting that run done. You deserve a good one now that the bad one is out of the way.

JG, it sounds like you made the best of the time your dh was gone. Brown County SP is awesome.

memiles, for your dd.

kerc, Tuesday is your day!

Plady for all that is going on in your world. Stay strong.

memiles, how was DD today?

I am gearing up for a relatively long run. I could figure out how to dress when it was always cold but with a random day thrown into a warm spring it gets confusing. I'll feel better when it is done.

Running club at the elementary club is going nicely in that they all want to run and therefore do well. The girls at Girls on the Run have some sort of odd dynamic going and it aren't always enthusiastic. I think there are a few too many girls enrolled by their parents... I am just a substitute coach there so I can't do much other than talk to my own daughter.

In other random news I sat on dd1's bed and directed the cleaning of her closet yesterday. Fun times for all.

Time to get my shoes on.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#431 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
bec

Ok, I haven't really done ANYTHING since Wednesday.

But, I had a massage yesterday, and she spent a long time on my sore leg! I am hoping it makes the difference. I am going to try a short run today, followed by a bike ride! Wish me luck today!!!

Tampons - I figured it out from the pictures. I was way too shy to ask for help.

DH went and ran with the running club yesterday morning. He ran 4 miles. While I'm thrilled that he's doing this, it's kind of hard to watch while I'm injured and can't go. It feels like he's living my life! Then, I feel guilty for feeling that.

memiles - for your DD!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#432 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Please forgive this newbie for not being on top of posting.
DH and DS1 have been in NYC on a Bar Mitzvah Food Orgy...DS1 opted for a cool trip with dad in lieu of a whoop it up party. They went to Michelin star restaurants, met some famous chefs and just had a blast. It was so good for them. DD was working late each night and I had to stay up way past my bedtimes to pick her up. So the running has not been the best.
I've been regular with my running but man it has been hard. I just did 6-6.5 miles this morning and just slogged through it. The smoothness never kicked in. Lead legs the whole run. I did stick it out although there were the occasional expletives in the middle of the big hills.
I've reached this mileage and now I'm going to work on building up my speed a bit.
The great news is the hip/hamstring issue I was having seems to have cleared up.
Thanks for this forum. Hopefully this turtle will transform into a dingo by the time my 10K rolls around.
#433 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 PM

I did my 12 miles on one of the longest uphills possible. Almost 4 miles uphill, like up a river bluff for 4 miles. Just how hilly is the Flying Pig?

bec, I hope that massage was wonderful.

chiromamma, some weeks are harder than others; it sounds like you have agood one coming to you running-wise.

#434 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM

mommajb...4 miles all uphill plus another eight! Wow.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just did an epsom salt soak and made myself do a good stretch. Rubbing in the wintergreen.
#435 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Chiromama, Mazal tov!

No fm for me either yesterday or today, due to rain and lack of childcare. Sigh.

More later. I have a major dilemma regarding one of dd1's friends and I want to ask the dingo cafe for your wisdom, but she's around right now so I have to wait...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#436 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Um memiles you win the coolest mom in the world award for helping with the tampon. I'm in the "used the picture, didn't ask for help" crowd. You rock.

Chiro .... if I recall correctly, it was in fact the tortoise who got the hare in the end. Slow and steady sometimes wins.

Lovely morning at the beach and now I'm working. I'll be running + shopping for an interview outfit at the resale shop after I get my act together. Not that they don't know me anyhow, but frankly when you're meeting with the provost for a professor job you should probably not wear jeans....limits my current choices by about 50%.

#437 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Since Nic is waiting I'll dish a little about dd2's current choice. She is a little neighbor girl that I don't know at all though I can see her house from my kitchen window. I do however know her older brother. My own ds1 decided on his own he didn't want to play with him after many times gone wrong. This boy is trouble and I initially (eight years ago) felt sorry for him as I disagreed with some of what he was living. In any event everyone knew who he was and the (legal) troubles he had already been in at that point. So... We walk over to meet this new friend because I cannot place her for the life of me. I am standing there awkwardly talking to his mother and she says something about having to go pick him up from practice. I make a small joke and ask why he can't walk the three blocks home at his age and she says that this way she knows he isn't getting into trouble on the way home. Apparently he is still making plenty of bad choices. I am not sure about any of my kids being around him but I can't say much because what I do say will be repeated by little mouths. For now, our house is a great place for them to get together even if they do have a more attractive backyard. Yuck. Hopefully dd2 will move on when neither set of parents encourages this friendship.

In better news... I found a new AP group through a friend that has regular playdays. I think I'll give it a shot.

In running news... RW had a thing about sore shoulders. It said to run with the arms in their usual swing but palms up as if you are carrying trays of food. This will help to lower and relax the shoulders according to them. Too bad you can't run that way and push a jogger.

#438 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dingo-dom is earned not through speed but in desire for forward motion only. My first 5 (!) years as a dingo was as a slower-than-10 min/mile-more-like 12 min/mil pace.

My SI joint is outta whack again. I can't figure out what I'm doing to get it misaligned. I can get it back easily enough with my pretzel position, but how annoying.

I'm looking forward to tonight's run -- cooler and the wind seems to have died away.

Lovely, compassionate, parents out there who get the misfit child: How do you coach your painfully shy child to join a group of kids on the school playground? DD is suffering from more social crap at school, and while the teacher tries, the teacher clearly doesn't "get" the part of DD's personality that has such difficulty in interjecting herself in a group. One of my friends suggested "look for the smiling face" as a way to figure out who will include her a new playmate. Any other ideas? Warning: if you suggest more 1-on-1 play dates, I'm going to scream first, then cry later. We do as much as we can in providing for play dates, but of those kids K has found the best connection, they don't go to the same school. Others go just fine, but clearly not great for the other kid -- DD is never invited over to the other kid's house.
#439 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 03:06 PM

SI joint: There are some basic inner core moves you can do to strengthen the very interior muscles that hold you together.
marching abdominals is one of them. I've learned this at yoga, but basically I can only get my heel of my foot off the ground before I'm compensating using another body part. So I do 2-3 minutes nightly of this exercise and I'm seeing improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Lovely, compassionate, parents out there who get the misfit child: How do you coach your painfully shy child to join a group of kids on the school playground? DD is suffering from more social crap at school, and while the teacher tries, the teacher clearly doesn't "get" the part of DD's personality that has such difficulty in interjecting herself in a group. One of my friends suggested "look for the smiling face" as a way to figure out who will include her a new playmate. Any other ideas?
You are always invited to playdates at our house. E would love it.

Other things that helped me as a child (and I need to remind myself of occasionally) including other adults (maybe you?) talking to me about how they dealt with social situations. Sort of like this (dinner conversation with mr geofizz):

So.... today I went to the cookies before the seminar and none of my friends were there yet. I was a little worried and thought I might leave and try to go to the bathroom, but I noticed this woman with a super cool shirt on so I decided to go over and tell her I liked her shirt (it had a pretty bird on it). When I asked her about the shirt, it turned out she's really in to birds. I was *so* glad I noticed her shirt because I was worried I would have no one to talk to and I would have to stand by myself. Someone else I knew came up and started talking to us and we had a cool conversation about birds. Luckily the seminar was starting so I was kind of off the hook for the next time, but next time I'll say hi to her for sure.

The tricky piece is that she sort of knows everyone already.

Have a goal of talking to people she doesn't know in settings where it might last more than 2 seconds. Like the library. If you run into a family there you and her might try to engage the family for a few minutes before they leave.

I love the smiling face idea. Nice visual to add to the subtleties involved.

I moved a lot as a child. A LOT. Plus I was a shy, geeky mama's girl without a Mama willing to lend me a hand to hold on to.
  • If there's another child without a playmate sometimes they are a safe person.
  • If there's a group playing a game you want to get into and they do it every day (tag for instance), then you find the person who might be friendly in class before recess and ask them if you can join.
  • Be prepared for people to say no. If they've worked out that they are playing x, y, z, then it might be a big jump for them to say yes. I don't know Karen well enough to know if she'll get that. But some coaching as to, "Ok, maybe tomorrow then." as an acceptable way to gracefully receive the rejection.
  • Frequent parks where the same kids do.
IMO: Invite the same kids who had OK times over again. Or find out if those kids are also going to science camp at COSI or something (I don't even know if that exists). Not having an immediate return date doesn't necessarily mean they had a bad time. Just that they aren't ready/available to have your kids over. Maybe the kid lives in a dump. maybe they work a lot. Maybe they are juggling a lot emotionally, who knows why the parent didn't reciprocate.

My experience suggests that talking about my interactions as an adult with people I work with helps my oldest process what's going on. "Jonah is so ANNOYING." has turned into "when Jonah sharpens his pencil and the shavings get on my desk is annoying, but he's fun to play with." I figure I have to work. I can pick code names for my coworkers and then I can discuss my interactions with my coworkers with my husband at the dinner table and my kids can learn that adults struggle too. But then again, we're a family that processes everything using words. Me via speaking, my kid via writing and reading.

#440 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Kristin has helpful ideas. I carried a book everywhere I went so I could try to read it and pretend I didn't care. I actually told my girls to always keep a book with them at school so they could read when they didn't know what else to do. It doesn't help friendships but it does remove some of the awkwardness of not knowing what do with one's self. Knitting can be substituted for some people. Taken a little further, is there any chance she could do her own thing that somebody might want to join her in? A butterfly net, sidewalk chalk, a jump rope from home, something they can't do in class but for recess? Having been a misfit child and parenting less than socially smooth children I do sympathize. As to the lack of return play dates, often my children don't have people over because it would mean I had to pick up the phone to call a parent I don't know and talk to them. I don't have the quiet for a phone call nor do I want to clean my house to my standards. Helen was beating me up about her having a friend over all day yesterday and it just makes me want to scream due to my own uncomfortableness and then having to manage one more person in my small house. Clearly I have issues.

#441 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks kerc : Lots to mull over. We do lots of modeling at home. Sometimes I wonder if I get to have genuine conversation with DH in front of my kids, I do so much modeling. We've done a few practice runs at the library and such, but those end badly. Really badly. It comes down to comparing what the kids are reading. DD's books aren't the same. Ever. Yesterday DD was excited about a stack of math books. What DD says is always reasonable and friendly ("oh yeah, I read those, I liked them a lot") but the comparison is generally there.

On the play date thing -- these are kids who have other kids over for play dates on a near daily basis. DD just is not high enough on the radar to be invited. The parents all seem to like DD, so we were getting play dates last year when parents were more in charge of these things. Now it's zero.

I need a way to let DD know that some of the kids she likes aren't acting like friends -- she likes a few of the non bullies, but they are now shutting her out of their play. She either needs to learn to tell them that shutting them out isn't cool (nor is it technically allowed at school, but 2 playground supervisors and 300 kids on the playground at a time does not provide much enforcement), or to find another group of nicer kids, who would likely have to come from the other program.

I also fear I'm hanging too many hopes of switching programs for next year.
#442 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
bec

Katie was having some problems finding someone to play with at recess around spring break. We were talking about ways that she could find someone to play with. She was waiting for people to ask her to play. I suggested that maybe they thought she wanted to play by herself, because she never asked. We went through some potential classmates that she could talk to and ask if she could play with. There were a few possibilities that she came up with. We role played a little bit so she could practice how to ask, and how to react if someone said no. We talked about how, if a group said no, maybe approaching someone else who was playing by themselves. If this is too much for Karen, maybe her teacher could pick one kid to help her facilitate this?

RR: I managed to run 3.3 miles today!!! I followed it up with a 12 mile bike ride! My calf was pretty tight after the run, but the bike ride loosened it up. I have foam rolled, stretched and will ice in a bit!

#443 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
What DD says is always reasonable and friendly ("oh yeah, I read those, I liked them a lot") but the comparison is generally there.
Which just begs the question, "Who is your favorite character?"

I think it would be really fun to be ____insert character____. Who would you want to be?

"Which story is your favorite so far?"

"Have you read ____? Yes? Did you like the ending?"

"I liked those crappy fairy books too. Do you know any others I might like that you've read already?"

"Do you like that Jack Frost appears in every book? I kind of think it's cool how the stories are different but yet the same."

It sounds a little like Karen's not terrible at initiating the conversation, it's just the casual follow up that's hard. Those details are tough to learn, developmentally. There are subtle queues we pick up from others that can be easy to miss.

math books. tell me more. Our current favorite: The Grapes of math. We own Math for All Seasons. We're seeking more ideas.

And I'm with mommajb: my own social phobias means I won't make a playdate for a friend if I don't have an email address. You mean you want me to call? No way. Not happening.

#444 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM

I ran 8.5 with friend/rp today! And I am officially on the "second half" of the weight I want to drop.

I don't really have good advice on the shyness issue. Just a lot of empathy. I was a shy kid, too. I had some really intuitive teachers (public school) who were great friendship facilitators, then went a couple years to private school which was a disaster for me, then back to public where things were OK again. Just really observant women with a light hand. And I guess that for me was the biggest thing--keeping solutions low-key, low-stress, low-pressure. Good luck, mama.

Now off to scrub hive bodies.
#445 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Sir Cumference Series.

Play date thing: I know all the parents casually enough, I see them every morning. We exchange pleasantries every day. DH sees them at 2:50 every afternoon. Also exchanges pleasantries. DH extends the invites in this way.

DD will only initiate a conversation in the library if I tell her to. She will otherwise avoid eye contact with the person.

I dunno. In a lot of ways I refuse to deny DD's personality and I am cautious about telling her she needs to change. The school is doing a lot to tell her she doesn't fit in, and I hate to tell her that she needs to go against her instincts to fit in.
#446 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
When can you visit?

Erin will EAT THIS UP. Perhaps I will have to give away my crown and certificate for world's meanest mom to the runner up Kathleen because I could win serious points for bringing these books home.

Can Karen come to our house for sleep away camp? Surely you can fly through MSP on your way to California and then Karen can stay here for 3-4 days and then on your way home pick her back up.

#447 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM

It's a beeyootiful day in Colorado!

I just got back from a fabulous (if butt-kicking) bike ride, life is good. Well, except the part where I have to clean my kitchen, at least tidy up the office, and take a shower in the next 2 1/2 hours.

rr~18 mile bike ride. 9 miles up, 9 miles down. The up was hard, but the down sure was fun!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#448 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

And I'm with mommajb: my own social phobias means I won't make a playdate for a friend if I don't have an email address. You mean you want me to call? No way. Not happening.
I am not alone in the world! I can email a casual acquaintance or a stranger with wreckless abandon. But I H.A.T.E calling. You are on my super close friends and family list if I call you on anything resembling a regular basis. Why is that? I hate that about myself!

Quote:
Sir Cumference Series.

I dunno. In a lot of ways I refuse to deny DD's personality and I am cautious about telling her she needs to change. The school is doing a lot to tell her she doesn't fit in, and I hate to tell her that she needs to go against her instincts to fit in.
That book series looks awesome. I am going to check those out!

So, your last paragraph makes me wonder. Is this desire to play, socially with a group of kids at school something that she is wanting? Or is it pressure that the school is putting on her? Because, I would say, if she has no problem playing on her own, and it doesn't bug her that she isn't with a group, then I would support her on that front, and look for ways to advocate her desires with the school.

I have a question to you wise dingos. Particularly, you mamas who have bike riding kiddos. All three of mine are dying to ride on two wheels. But, I seem to have missed Bike Riding 101 when it came around. I have a 9, 6, and 4 year old that are not able to ride on 2 wheels. Abby is the closest, it seems! I think Emily is having a very rare moment of timidity and isn't willing to commit. She wants to go super slow. Like slower than walking pace slow, and it's really hard to balance that way. Katie, whenever I try to hold onto her (or her bike) to get her started, she just leans totally onto me, and isn't even trying to find the balance point. I feel like I'm a failure in teaching bike riding! I would love for us all to go out for some nice family rides, but it isn't materializing. Any suggestions?

#449 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
That book series looks awesome. I am going to check those out!

So, your last paragraph makes me wonder. Is this desire to play, socially with a group of kids at school something that she is wanting? Or is it pressure that the school is putting on her? Because, I would say, if she has no problem playing on her own, and it doesn't bug her that she isn't with a group, then I would support her on that front, and look for ways to advocate her desires with the school.
Yes, this. I was wondering that too. I have more thoughts but nothing coming out coherently on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I have a question to you wise dingos. Particularly, you mamas who have bike riding kiddos. All three of mine are dying to ride on two wheels. But, I seem to have missed Bike Riding 101 when it came around. I have a 9, 6, and 4 year old that are not able to ride on 2 wheels. Abby is the closest, it seems! I think Emily is having a very rare moment of timidity and isn't willing to commit. She wants to go super slow. Like slower than walking pace slow, and it's really hard to balance that way. Katie, whenever I try to hold onto her (or her bike) to get her started, she just leans totally onto me, and isn't even trying to find the balance point. I feel like I'm a failure in teaching bike riding! I would love for us all to go out for some nice family rides, but it isn't materializing. Any suggestions?
A balance bike. Probably most appropriate size-wise for the younger 2.

A tag along does great for getting together the idea of balancing without all the pressure of having to do it yourself. My kids love riding it. My husband, not so much. He feels crazy with the tagalong. He's getting over himself since our Leah-lou LOVES it. Like begs for it.

and finally with Erin it helped immensely to have this so that she couldn't feel when we let go. I would just run alongside her and let her do it, then keep running and let go.

#450 of 815 Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 PM

oh and by the way, yes I am actually getting tasks done today. Just worked up over the interview + other s*it I need to deal with. and it helps to have something else to switch to when the apprehension gets too great. Perhaps my second career will indeed be called My Adventures in Parenting .... Your Mileage May Vary. and entail writing a book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page