Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more adorable than your goat and your cat!
Totally!

DrJen, what a great birth story.

Ummm, DrJen, could you please take me off the race list for this upcoming weekend? I'll just keep the Ragnar Relay on there for September, optimist that I am. Hopefully by summertime, I will be able to run again, but since yesterday morning, I am officially .... injured.

I went out for a 10 miler, lovely weather, everything perfect, lots of people out running and walking. Three miles into the run, I started to feel a little achy in my left knee (old injury knee), nothing terrible, and all at once it feels like a pop, and I can't take another step. I stopped right there, turned off my ipod, cursed the gods and called my in-laws to come and get me with the car. It feels like a ligament just popped off the bone or something! I can straighten my leg and even flex it pretty well, but it is painful on the medial side of my knee, feels instable, and hurts to put weight on it, move it too quickly or in certain other positions. I'm thinking medial collateral ligament (this was torn maybe 20 years ago, and maybe I re-ruptured it?) or even medial tear of the meniscus (but then why the popping sensation?).

My first worry was that I wouldn't be able to handle driving, and how would I pick up DH from the airport today. Actually, it turns out that my knee does pretty well in either a 90 degree flex or stretched out straight. Driving seems to be alright. So my next problem is that the entire medical community is on vacation until Tuesday. Actually, I don't mind waiting until the dust settles to see a doctor. I am wearing an elastic knee support for compression, icing as I can and resting my leg as much as possible.

So in the meantime, I am enjoying having DH here to talk me through all this. I'll re-post when I have some better info.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Mel. Please just keep us posted and I hope you are feeling better soon!

I am a bit bummed about this mrnings run. I was doing so well but my rp wasn't we stopped for a bit and I just couldn't get started back up when she called it quits. A shorter run is probably just what my body needed overall and maybe I can get out again tomorrow for the missed miles. It isn't the same but still good.

I need to get this family in gear and do something more with today than clean, laundry, groceries, and wii. Wait -maybe that is enough?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the nice welcome

We ran a little over 5.5 miles yesterday, in the wind, rain and hail.
We've had unseasonably warm temps this month, and I kept forgetting it was March because it feels more like May! This morning I woke up to find a blanket of snow covering the ground.

There's something going on with my knee as well. It started to hurt a couple of minutes into the run yesterday and got worse as the day progressed. I've never had knee problems, and was scared that it was caused by the running (was I doing something wrong? was it my shoes?) But then when I told DH later, he said "Does it hurt where you hit it? Or somewhere else?" YES!! I fell last week and hit my knee on the corner of a stair. I had completely forgotten, and now - although my knee still hurts - I'm happy that there's a simple explanation. I'm surprised there's no bruise though.

My friend is coming over this afternoon, and we're going to attempt 6M again. We'll see how my knee holds up.

Mel: I hope there's nothing too serious going on with your knee

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM

RR: I did a brutal work out today to make up for the week of not doing anything.

dh has been in a bad mood all morning, and it's our only time together today. Step daughter has a car to look at and possibly buy, but for some reason dh is all upset.

Okay, hungry and head ache so off to fix those!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
dh has been in a bad mood all morning, and it's our only time together today. Step daughter has a car to look at and possibly buy, but for some reason dh is all upset.
, must be something in the Indiana air because my DH is totally crab-tastic this morning too .

Mel ~ oh NO! I really hope it's nothing major, but the POP does not sound good .

Zub ~ I think you'd really enjoy training for Olympic distance. I did one (Chicago) two summers ago and LOVED it! It's still a decent training load, but none of those 60+ mile bike rides you "should" do to prep for 1/2IM distance. I think my longest bike in training for that race was about 40 miles. And trust me, racing for 3 +/- hours is still plenty difficult!

Welcome OvenSeeksBun! Enjoy your run today .

I went to the Y this morning and lifted weights, did 15 min. on the rowing erg and another 15 on the elliptical before my leg got totally numb. Oh, and my insurance won't cover the doc I am scheduled to see next Wednesday. Damn Tricare .

Formal ROTC dinner tonight with DH. I'm headed upstairs to make sure my dress still fits !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 04-03-2010, 03:24 PM

Hey, all!

I've been kind of avoiding the thread.. No running this week at all, but hopefully I'll be up for it tomorrow. I don't know.. I'm just not feeling it and having lots of emotional issues this weekend.

I hope everyone is having a happy weekend!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Hi guys, back from my LR.

Mel! Oh man, hope that knee feels better and won't need any sort of intervention....fingers crossed for you Mama.

RM, too bad you can't send DH out for a run, it would help his mood.

Welcome Ovens, this is an amazing group where you can find support, become inspired and motivated, and learn tons!

My 15 miler was good. I have been listening to books on tape on my ipod on my long runs and it has been a really good thing. It helps the miles go by. I ran the first half of the marathon route as part of my run and it was nice. The parts I thought would be really hard were easy, and the tough parts were surprises. Good info to have so I can tuck it away for later........... I think I am going to the local running shop this week and make a little wish list. My Bday is coming up and I am hoping to score some nice running related birthday booty lol. I think I need a hat for starters, and a drink belt of my own. I use DHs but he will need his for race day. Also I wonder if there are any made for women? Things to ponder.

Have a nice weekend all. I am going to shower and dye some eggs with the girls and then what I have been most excited for..... Make a rainbow Peep wreath Can't wait.

Smooch to all, ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Old 04-03-2010, 05:17 PM

jaygee~thanks for the dh chuckle, but sorry you are dealing with the same thing. Also sorry that your leg keeps getting numb and about the insurance coverage issue. Argh!!

ND~good thinking about the run for dh, too bad he can't/wouldn't.

Nemesis~

sitting here at work, just waiting.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Oh, mamas. Hoping for good outcomes for those injuries.

RR: 60 min (7mi) on the elliptical @ level 16-18, then planks and bicycle crunches, then 2mi on the TM.

PMS like crazy and parents' house tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Mel - so sorry about your knee, that sounds so painful

Hi Wendy

Even if it is the past injury, probably good to monitor your knee and make sure it isn't overuse/weak quads/old shoes/etc.... all the normal suspects of ramping up mileage/training!

Jo - your pics are just so adorable

ND - a peeps wreath??!? Sounds intriguing, do tell

We're at the ILs for the weekend and just finished dyeing eggs, Easter service tomorrow and then nephew's first birday

This is the nephew that they did a scheduled c-section for 2 weeks early and he came out at 11 pounds/22 inches. Right now, at one, he is almost as big as DD is at 4!

FM - had a nice walk/run today, about 3 mi

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Naughty Dingo--Post pictures of that wreath! Are you on Facebook? Are you already one of my Facebook friends? I'm still trying to straighten out everyone's identities.

Nemesis--I hope all is well and that this week is better than last week.

OvenSeeksBun--What a relief, to find out an injury isn't REALLY an injury. Or that it is, but not as serious an injury as you'd thought. My body almost never shows bruises, but I can feel them lurking when I've bumped something. I hope that's all it ends up being for you.

Mel--Oh, no! I'm so sorry about your injury! Popping is almost never a good thing. I'm glad you were wise enough to stop where you were and call for a ride. I tend to think I can "run through" things when it should be obvious that's a disastrous idea. I hope you can figure out what happened and how to fix it.

tjsmama--Brrr, it's too late in the season to freeze out on the slopes. And as long as DS doesn't realize he's missing the "real" day, I would totally postpone Easter. I had about half an hour in which to get stuff for my kids' baskets (holidays creep up on me these days) and ended up impulse buying and spending more than I'd wanted. Next gift-buying holiday I need to start earlier and make thoughtful decisions. Or at least spread out the buying so it doesn't seem as bad.

Oh, the chafing! The CHAFING!

About 3 miles into my run today, I started noticing that my shorts weren't doing such a good job of staying between my thighs. Shorts are a little too big, I guess. At that point into a long loop run, what can you do? I press onward, thinking about how much my legs are going to HUUUURT when I get into the shower. Yup, yup. First on the list for next week: buy spandex shorts for running.

But I did manage to do an acceptable 7 miles, and everything except my thighs felt great.

My father-in-law is here for the afternoon; we had our first meal on the grill for the season. I've become a snob about certain food; after reading "Fast Food Nation" I don't eat grocery store beef anymore, so I couldn't touch the hamburgers. I'm hoping to get to our local farm stand soon to stock up on meat that doesn't go through a huge industrialized slaughterhouse. If you haven't read the book and you value not thinking about your meat from time to time, DON'T read it.

And I bought hot dogs that were grass-fed, organic, nitrate-free. DH said they tasted funny. The past couple of times my dad has eaten a hot dog, he's had a reaction that he says is scary; it feels a bit like a heart attack. It's got me thinking that maybe the nitrates need to go. Not that we have hot dogs often, anyway. I guess when we do, it doesn't hurt to buy the ones with the smallest amount of crap. Maybe our farm stand makes its own hot dogs, too? How much am I willing to pay for hot dogs?

DD has a weird rash today. I noticed it when she was swinging on the swings; her knees have a handful of little pink circle-y things on them. A little while later, her feet had patchy circle-y things and her skin tone from her ankles downward was bright pink, like she was wearing socks. It seems to be fading.... I don't think she's had any unfamiliar foods today (she absolutely would not ever touch a hot dog or hamburger)..... I think I'm going to choose not to worry about it unless it persists into tomorrow. She's been barefoot in the yard all day; maybe it's a reaction to vegetation she touched?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM

LLLL ~ Ouch!

Jo ~ Wow, you got in lots of FM today!

ND ~ Way to go on 15! Love the Peep Wreath too!

This morning I did yoga while I heated up the water for tea (a Yoga is Yummy vid). This afternoon we hiked down by the San Pedro River for about 1.5 miles and my RunKeeper freaked out and said 8 miles. It was HOT! The van said it was 85*!! We were all ready to be home when we got here, and I'm ready for a MI summer.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 PM

A certain husband thinks I don't do anything to 'keep the family afloat' and am not pulling my weight.

(Because I don't want to be the one to call the bank and find out to whom our mortgage was sold.)

I am really pissed.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A quick question for you dingoes... Do most of you run with Garmins? When I was running a decade ago we didnt have these kinds of things and I am not really sure quite what they are. But I think I want one I never have any idea about my pace and distance... Do you dingoes have suggestions for which model?

A quick (well, slow) 4 miles this morning. I didnt get my bike ride in but it's beautiful weather here in Maine.

Jaygee, I was thinking about the Kennebunkport fire station triathlon..but now may have to look into more impressive ones.

La, don't read Meat Market... you'd never eat another animal product again!! (I'm vegan!)

Nemesis 2

ETA - Oh, Nic.. darn husbands. Lots of hugs, and a reassurance that you do a heck of a lot!!!!!! Mercy.

Be back for more personals asap.

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Nic--I'm so sorry about your DH and his crappy comments. It sounds like he's having some clueless moments recently. I hope you can set him straight. Just from reading this thread, we all know that you do tons of stuff to pull your weight in your family. Again,
Old 04-03-2010, 10:56 PM

Agh okay so I can put my foot in my mouth. He apologized big time. Sigh. We are both so frustrated and stretched to the limit.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM

ugh, I'm at my parents for the night and my dad's currently at the hospital in the emergency room since he's been having joint pain and chest pain for a few weeks. He's been there for 5 hours and was seen right away luckily, we were with him for awhile but came home to feed the dogs, eat etc ... They know it's not a heart attack at least but he's having a ton of tests done and ugh, it just sucks and I'm trying not to show that I'm freaked out because my mom is, anyway ... any thoughts would be appreciated.

update: he's home and all the tests were ok! thankfully, now he just has to meet with his pcp and figure out what it could be.

on a better note, ran 9 MP miles this morning and have 19 planned for the am hopefully. I'm dressed because I have to leave early in the am to make it to church and if I'm dressed it will be easier and trying to rest/relax until I can go to bed but mostly failing.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:09 PM

ash~Oh, no! for your dad!

nic~ on your behalf.

lala~Body glide. Spandex not necessary, just get body glide. Unless you really want the spandex for some reason.

mel~Uh oh. FWIW, it would be highly unusual to injure your MCL by running, let alone have a pop like that without any kind of "incident", kwim? Although the instability could indicate that. Meniscus is a little more likely, and the pop certainly could be meniscus. That said, sometimes a pop is just a pop and not really indicative of a "major" injury. Are you having any clicking, locking up, giving out, etc.? It's really not a horrible thing not to be able to be seen right away. RICE the heck out of it and give any swelling a chance to go down so that hopefully the doctor can get a good look that's not impeded by the inflammatory response.

alex~I have and love my Forerunner 305. It's the same as the 205, only with a HR monitor. I've heard mixed reviews on the 405. It's smaller and sleeker, but I've heard that the functionality is not as good. If I had the money and needed a new unit, I would go with the 310xt. It's designed for triathletes, waterproof and much longer battery life. That said, the "waterproof" part doesn't really mean that it WORKS in the water, just that you can wear it in the water. For some reason, the GPS doesn't work well when you're swimming and the distances are off by crazy amounts. I think the best deal out there for the money right now is the 305. You can usually find it through Amazon or Costco for less than $150. You're almost definitely looking at over $300 for the 405 or 310.

Three stores. No peeps. Not that I even LIKE peeps, or think that they're the best thing to be giving to my child, but they kind of ARE easter to me, you know? Oh well, DS will live without being introduced to the chemical marshmallowiness of peeps for another year. I remembered this morning that I have a LOT of my package remaining at the drop-in daycare near us and he hasn't been there in forever, so I dropped him there for an hour while I ran to Target. Do. Not. Recommend. Since when is shopping the day before easter like shopping on Christmas eve? Holy madhouse! And the easter aisles were totally picked over. I found a few good things, at least. Just no peeps. Oh well.

No fm today, unless you count trips to Target, the grocery store, and the ski store (to return DS's rental skis). I WILL do something tomorrow. And it will be outside to take advantage of the beautiful weather. Should I run? Have I taken enough time off? Bike ride? Hmm. Or just a killer hike? I don't know. Thoughts?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM

I read a recipe for Peeps Brulee today.

FM: nada, unless you count many hours of shopping with my mother. I'm wondering if skipping out on the fam for a good long run tomorrow would be acceptable. I figure if I go after church, before dinner preparations begin... who could care? Or, in the morning before anyone else is up, which is also a possibility.

Dh spent all of the egg-dying time upstairs, playing on the computer. He disassociates from us in a way that I find really saddening. But, you know, a problem that is not mine to fix.

We're ready for Easter, minus putting candy into plastic eggs, and had a fun community egg hunt this morning - one of our dear neighbor girls' dad was busy so she walked down with us and then I invited her and the boy across the street to come over and play outside, and the kids all just played for a couple of hours. Really nice. Plus they took a good 20 minutes to love on the 20 month old next door, who really adores big kids. It was so cute - four 6-10 yo, just doting on her. It's nice to have good neighbors.

Happy Easter, to those who celebrate.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 PM

4.2 miles. done. Not on the treadmill, as I had feared, rather after dark when I already had my pjs on. Done.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-04-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Dh spent all of the egg-dying time upstairs, playing on the computer. He disassociates from us in a way that I find really saddening. But, you know, a problem that is not mine to fix.
I keep telling myself this yet I can't stop taking it on. I have deleted more vents. I write them so I can let go and them decide that posting them makes them more permanent not more released if that makes sense.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 AM

Happy Easter to all who are celebrating!

Good thing for me, peeps are not kosher.

Kerc, I have a very funny mental image of you running in your pajamas.

ETA: Wendy, we are doing our M&M half life experiment. I printed out a chart that had columns for

Half Life Total Time #Decayed Atoms #Undecayed Atoms

etc.
We are recording the "m side up" in the # decayed atoms column. What is the total time column for (if the half life column is the iteration of the bag shake?)?

Off to give my kids breakfast and then hopefully my long run. Catch ya later!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
ETA: Wendy, we are doing our M&M half life experiment. I printed out a chart that had columns for

etc.
We are recording the "m side up" in the # decayed atoms column. What is the total time column for (if the half life column is the iteration of the bag shake?)?

LOL. Did you know my phd is working with radiogenic atoms? (I used radioactive decay to "date" fossil corals. Kind of like radiocarbon time clocks, but not using carbon). If I understand correctly the "total time" is the half life + the previous half life. You can call me if you have questions that would be easier in person. (cell number is in facebook). I'll be in the lab today minus a little dessert date with our next door neighbors.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Kristin
I will call you later if it's not too much trouble to bother you. I know this should be easy for me, by my Ph.D. is in political science and I barely passed physical anthropology for my 'hard science' in university!

Hey, want to hear something funny? I just got a check for my last freelance article (it was an online news source)...$15! Good thing for me I'll be working at a 'real' job next year.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM

ashcav- Wow, how scary! I hope his pcp can offer some solutions.

Welcome, OvenSeeksBun!

Lalalala- I usually avoid those sorts of books/documentaries for those reasons. I was raised on a farm and grew up working on farms. I feel so lucky to know people that I can buy meat from with a clean conscience. In the past few years, we have really cut the amount of meat we eat and I feel like it's more "reasonable" now.

Nic- It's hard when both partners are stressed to the max. I hope you can find some peace.

zub- I just got a Garmin a few weeks ago. It's been really fun, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. I am not much of a serious runner, though. I am hoping that as I train for more events I will figure out more ways to use it. It sure is fun, though! I am not very tech-savvy, so it has a lot of features I have yet to figure out.

We did eggs yesterday and baskets, too. I was going to get up early to hide the eggs, but forgot. Oh, well. It'll be warmer this afternoon, anyway.
My goal for today is to organize my cupboards (get the junk out!) and then run this afternoon. The wind has finally calmed down and I think it will be lovely today.
The girls are getting along this weekend, for the first time in weeks! Yesterday was beautiful- they played with their Easter toys together for hours! DH and I played Monopoly and did some art projects, I cleaned a little.. nothing crazy, but so nice to have everyone getting along again! I think all the illness we've had over the past month had everyone on edge.
I am a bit of a mess lately. DH mentioned that maybe we should think about sending DD to school. I'm not sure how I feel about it, because I don't want to but I've been so overwhelmed lately. I think it's just bad timing to talk about it, normally I feel very positively about our decision to homeschool.

Anyway, Happy Easter Dingos!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 AM

New delicious gluten/wheat free cheese"cake" recipe I made for Passover that is DELISH!!

3 blocks cream cheese, softened (1 can be low fat)
16 oz. sour cream (can be low fat but it doesn't taste as good)
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 Tbsp. potato starch
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat everything together. Pour into VERY WELL GREASED pie plate. Bake at 350 until set. This recipe makes 2 9" pies. I halved it to make one. (I used to make it in a graham cracker crust but can't for Passover, so I figured I'd just see what happened if I omitted the crust altogether. No problem!)

It is

Still waiting on dh to get back from rounds so I can

Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Zub, I love my Garmin, and I'm not a "serious" runner but I think that actually makes it more necessary to me. I can pace myself much better, and I really enjoy seeing how far I've run without having to do math in my head as I run (my trail has markers, but I can't always remember how far I've gone if I rely on them.) Plus I have clear evidence that I'm getting faster, which feels awesome.

Easter going well so far - brunch was yum, the kids are ready for church, dh managed to avoid the egg hunt and the brunch prep and cleanup. I find myself really angry that he sleeps as much as he does, which is pretty unfair of me, but it triggers all kinds of childhood stuff, as my mother is also an excessive sleeper and often uses that as a way to avoid stuff she doesn't want to do and/or make other people wait for her.

So I'm fine, the kids are happy, my parents seem to be enjoying themselves, and dh is living in his own world. Sigh.

I'm so making time for a run between church and dinner!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 04-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Happy Easter to all who are celebrating!

Good thing for me, peeps are not kosher.

Kerc, I have a very funny mental image of you running in your pajamas.

etc.

Instead make it this:

"Time" #Decayed since last time Total#Decayed Atoms #Undecayed Atoms

So "time" represents every time you stick your hand in to draw an M&M. If it is the radioactive one, put '1' in the next column and replace it with a daughter atom. Total number decayed is then the sum of all the decayed atoms so far. #undecayed + Total#Decayed should always equal the total number of atoms in the bag.

Then after you put the #undecayed on a graph versus time, you'll be able to see how many "picks" of time is one half life. If you start with 100 radioactive and no daughter, figure it will be 60-70 ish.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Mel, when my meniscus went, in grand style I might add, there was a definite pop. Loud enough that my DH heard it, right before the swearing began. I went to the ER immediately, they told me it was just a sprain and sent me home. Notsomuch (I also had a small fracture in my tibia), but I managed to make it 5 days before I got it looked at again. I wouldn't recommend that course.

Nic, I'm glad you posted an update. I'm just cranky enough to fly down there and kick some butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
A quick question for you dingoes... Do most of you run with Garmins? When I was running a decade ago we didnt have these kinds of things and I am not really sure quite what they are. But I think I want one I never have any idea about my pace and distance... Do you dingoes have suggestions for which model?
I have a 305, based on the recommendations here and dh's ability to buy the lesser of the two items presented to him. RP has the 205- from what I can tell, the difference is the HR monitor. I like having it, as I'm a geek like that and love to say "see, that hill really WAS hard!" as I sit here and stare at the graph of my run. I do love having it and can't imagine running without it any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
ugh, I'm at my parents for the night and my dad's currently at the hospital in the emergency room since he's been having joint pain and chest pain for a few weeks. He's been there for 5 hours and was seen right away luckily, we were with him for awhile but came home to feed the dogs, eat etc ... They know it's not a heart attack at least but he's having a ton of tests done and ugh, it just sucks and I'm trying not to show that I'm freaked out because my mom is, anyway ... any thoughts would be appreciated.

update: he's home and all the tests were ok! thankfully, now he just has to meet with his pcp and figure out what it could be.

So glad the tests look good. Will keep the good thoughts going that it's nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I read a recipe for Peeps Brulee today.

)
This I gotta see!

Quote:
New delicious gluten/wheat free cheese"cake" recipe I made for Passover that is DELISH!!

3 blocks cream cheese, softened (1 can be low fat)
16 oz. sour cream (can be low fat but it doesn't taste as good)
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 Tbsp. potato starch
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat everything together. Pour into VERY WELL GREASED pie plate. Bake at 350 until set. This recipe makes 2 9" pies. I halved it to make one. (I used to make it in a graham cracker crust but can't for Passover, so I figured I'd just see what happened if I omitted the crust altogether. No problem!)

It is

Still waiting on dh to get back from rounds so I can
Oh, I so wish I had had this recipe earlier this week!

Mamas, my butt is kicked but I'm having one of those "I LOVE my work" moments. Looooooong birth yesterday - she called us at 5:15 am, feeling like she needed us. What she really needed was a doula, but instead she had a friend who had never attended a birth before. To boot, she wanted to go to the birth center way across town from her home, so it took away most of the things I love about homebirth- the comfortable, familiar surroundings for mom, the easy access to the things that make her feel safe, the fridge stocked with food when both she and the birth team are flagging. She got to 9 and sat there with horrible back pain for 5 hours! For once I was incredibly thankful for my preceptor's daughter/birth assistant. For all of her annoying tenancies and ability to sleep at the most inopportune times, she is a kick ass doula and massage therapist. She came in at about 5pm after her mom called her and told her what was going on, worked on mom's back and hips, held her and whispered in her ear while she pushed. And in the end, I got to completely manage my first delivery on my own, with my preceptor doing my normal job and nodding and smiling. That baby girl, with her fingers firmly in her mouth as she was born, slipped into my hands in the water and I was filled with incredible joy to be doing exactly the work I'm called to do.

The rest of the night, however, kicked our butts. Baby was born at 9:24, I got home at 2:30am. One of the huge downsides of birth center births is all the steps you have to go through to prepare the family to travel a few hours after birth that you can avoid by just tucking them into bed and checking on them the next day. By the time her entire family showed up for a visit and pictures, then a MAJOR repair (hello, hand in the mouth, meet your mom's perineum!), then a mom who kept almost passing out every time her bladder filled up and a dad who fell asleep when I needed to do the postpartum care instructions.....oy.

Got home to find out that DH really did pull it together for me yesterday. Baskets were loaded and plastic eggs hid, dessert and salad (including homemade candied walnuts!) made and ready to take to my sisters, living area cleaned. I guess a full day with no one else in the house was inspiring.

We are heading to my sister's house to pick up the kids and have brunch so I'm chugging coffee and smelling the eggs and bacon DH seems to be making in the kitchen. Crossing my fingers that no one goes into labor today, and J comes home tomorrow so I have my cohort back for the upcoming births and clinic.

Ooh, one other great moment from yesterday.....while taking a break yesterday I was hanging out in the back room at the BC. One of the center's partner mw's, who I have doula'ed for quite a few times, came in. We got to chatting and she seemed really thrilled that I was in my apprenticeship...to the point that she said "I usually don't do this, but I like you enough and am tired enough to tell you that, if you ever need a high volume site or just some different perspective, call me. We plan a year or two out but I'd love to have you". She's a stark contrast to my current two preceptors, but she's also got amazing skills and her families love her. Something to think about if I ever want to spend some time in a practice with 8-12 births a month.

Happy Easter, all. FM is going to have to wait, although I'm pleased to announce that my leg feels far better than it has in forever. Guess a week of unplanned rest did me good!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
bec

Oh where, oh where did my mojo go? I did manage to get 3 miles in at 10:05 pace, but it felt forced, slow and painful. My leg still hurts, although it does seem to be getting better. I have 15 miles to do on Thursday, and I'm worried that it just won't happen.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

User Tag List