Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 815 Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zub - I was just wondering, have you tried swaddling Rafi down super snug for sleeping? I thought of it reading about him needing to be hugged and remembered how when dd1 was his age on nights when she was all bent out of shape for whatever reason I'd take this long sari I have and roll her up really tightly in it (obviously not in a way that could choke her but with her arms crossed in front so she was sort of hugging herself). But it would work wonders and she couldn't wiggle out of it so if I then wedged some pillows on each side of her she'd be snug and secure and asleep without me for at least a bit. Maybe?

Nemesis - Did you get out? I tend to put on the running gear thinking that will make me go and it usually does except for this week when I was in the same running clothes for 2.5 days before I actually took my first stride.

La4 - I was having a sharp pain in the front of my shoulder during my long run the other day. I have no idea what that was about.

Mommajb - Of course your work is fabulous! And just remember, if you're blowing out through your nose, no water can get in. I always have the kids practice breathing with their face in the water just standing in the shallow end breathing all out into the water and then turning the side only of their face to breathe in. It's boring but it seems to help.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#122 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 AM

I didn't have time to read through the most recent pages...but I wanted to stop by and announce that I am officially running again as of tonight!!! I had to take two weeks off to nurse my knee injury that I got when I crashed my bike 2 weeks ago. And tonight I finally was able to run! I did 2 miles!!! I'm so excited! I was seriously worried that it was going to be several more weeks until I could get a good run in. So relieved. Words can not even describe how relieved I am right now. Though I'm still not sure if my body is ready for my triathlon coming up on the 17th...I'm taking it slow the next couple of days and I'll attempt a brick (bike immediately followed by a run) on friday or saturday and that will give me an idea of whether I'm ready to race next the following week or not! I'm so excited to be back!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#123 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM

Yay Eaglevoice!!

Zub: I've nothing useful to add to the great suggestions others have given for getting Raf to sleep better. But I do want to agree with JayGee that it will get better. I promise. in the meantime.

Plady: yes, really odd. But now you will have the guest rooms all made up for the next visitors, right?

La4: hey, you are getting some miles in, too, aren't you?

OSB: Welcome and take care of that knee.

Jo & Mommajb: You guys totally made me laugh with your "nothing to read into that" comments!

But I like to hear about everyone's swimming workouts. I'm thinking that may be in my near future!

Which brings me to my knee news: Gaye and Memiles, you guys were right about the meniscus. I'm getting an MRI tomorrow early, but the orthopedic dr. thought all the ligaments feel alright. We'll know more tomorrow, but it looks like an arthroscopic procedure will be next. I'm actually relieved, cause I'm really tired of all this limping around. I won't complain much, because it is all very manageable, and mostly not too painful. I do still have to sleep flat on my back at night (not my usual position) and we can't go for any fun trips while DH is here with all the appointments and stuff. Still, it will be an outpatient procedure, which is awesome. Now I just want to get it scheduled ASAP and get on with my life, yk?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#124 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 AM

Hi all!

How is everyone doing this morning?

Mommajb, of course you are AMAZING and fabulous!

Lala, I had the same problem after Purim with all the candy and junk. It was terrible, I was eating so much cr*p. And I wanted to get it out of the house too, but seemed not to be able to. Sigh.

mel, sorry about the knee! Ouch.

EV, glad you're running again!

Zub, . Not one of my kids slept 'through' until well after a year of age, but my oldest was by far the most difficult. She did the same thing as Raf. People kept telling me to let her cry it out, and once I came very close. So tired was I.

But she was, and is, a high needs baby/kid. She is still very attached to me and has always really needed to be in close physical proximity (now of course that is less intense, as she's 9 and goes to school, but still...). She has a very intense personality -- but also highly imaginative, creative, intelligent, generous, and sensitive.

By the time she was, oh, I'd say about 18 months -- she slept in much longer stretches. We did follow a plan by Dr. Jay Gordon to help her sleep longer periods and night wean, once she was 18 months. It did involve crying, but not crying it out -- we were right there, and she was still sleeping with us. At that point she was mostly just mad that she wasn't getting her "um" (nursing). It took a few nights of pacing, patting, kissing, talking, etc. to help her settle and once she was night weaned it was Much. Easier. (Of course she was still nursing a LOT during the day).

A couple things, though -- 1) she was considerably older and could understand the verbal message "when it's dark out, the 'um' goes to sleep too." She didn't like it, but she could understand it.

2) Saying this very gently -- when a mom is working and away from her babe for part of the day, a lot of moms find that their babe really needs that closeness and reconnection of nursing during the night. Many, many working moms report that nighttime nursing is a lot more intense for them. This may or may not ease up on weekends (it's kind of irregular still) but may ease things during the summer for you, especially if you wear him a lot/are very near and nurse frequently during the day. If he's a high needs, very attached kid, then he will seek out getting those needs met.

FM: today, not yet. Yesterday, 4.5 miles in the early morning. I have a 15K race this weekend so am not doing anything too intense this week.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#125 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Zub, the homesickness is hard. From the other side I can say coming home didn't make it better for me. For one, I didn't come back to "home" because it exists only as a memory for me and two, I changed while I was gone as did my family. Not all bad, just different. Regarding sleep, I got back in shape because Linus only slept on the move. Thankfully dh usually took a few hours of stroller pushing from midnight on so I could sleep some but I walked miles and miles his first spring/summer/fall. Also, as Nic mentioned, Raf loves you and your security, he's going to want to be close to you.

La4, we just put the candy out and let everyone binge for the day on Halloween, Christmas, and Easter. I did have some and felt sick for a day but then it was gone. FWIW, I do the same with my arms - they are always the most sore after a hard-for-me run. I have no advice on how to get a massage without somebody thinking it is a come-on other than to pay a professional.

Eaglevoice, You're back!

gaye, I love your trail run description - sounds fun!

Plady, I would just say you were the hostess with the mostess and provided them with way more than they needed. I promise if I ever visit somebody will need something and might even make a mess on the sheets to make up for it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Nemesis - Did you get out? I tend to put on the running gear thinking that will make me go and it usually does except for this week when I was in the same running clothes for 2.5 days before I actually took my first stride.
2.5 days? I love it. and I'll try to remember the swim advice.

Mel, it sounds like things are moving quickly regarding your knee. May you only get good news from here on out.

I ran a 10K this morning and have school running club with the girls after school today. It is the first day and I am a wee bit anxious. RP and I are training the K-2 for a half mile run and the 3-5 for a mile run mid-May. Molly is RP's sister.

Gotta go make today happen.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#126 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I forgot to mention that I finally got some feedback in all my class projects and it was "fabulous."

Zub - Oh, mama, I have so been there with the crazy, not sleeping through the night, haze of sleep deprivation, being pressured to CIO, high needs baby. I think you have gotten some amazing advice. My eldest is very much like Nic's. Very high need, very sensitive, very intense. I am convinced that, not only would CIO with her have been traumatic, I don't think it would have worked. She was the kind of kid that would have cried for hours and hours on end if we didn't attend to her. I can't imagine the emotional state she would have needed to be in to give up on the crying. We never tried it. The one time that I missed her waking from a nap because I was vacuuming in another part of the house (think in the 3-5 minute range), she was hysterical by the time I got to her, hard to console, and was clingy, whiny, and very difficult to deal with for 2 solid days afterwards! Like, Nic, I nightweaned when she was around 2 years old. She took to it pretty easily. She understood about it being dark and going night-night. I was limiting her night time nursing anyway, by singing the alphabet song to her, and she understood that at the end of the song, nursing was done. It didn't stop the night waking, but it did make it so DH could lend a hand! And, she did start sleeping in longer stretches, and was easier to gentle back to sleep. It will pass.

mommajb - Hurray for swimming! I hope to get to the pool later today myself!

FMR - Tri class last night. It started raining and thundering, so no running up the sled hill! Instead, we had a pretty intense strength training session inside. I really need to work on strength training more. I like it, I just always feel so lost with all those weights!

mel - I hope you get your procedure scheduled soon and are on the mend quickly! I am so scared that this leg thing I have going on is

EagleVoice - Hurray to be back to running! I am worried about taking a spill on the bike, too. I just got the pedals you can clip into, but I haven't gotten on the road yet with it. I've just used it on the trainer.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#127 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Zub

I got out for some biking, but no running yet. More biking today, now that the weather's nice we'll do most of our errands by bike. Maybe a run tonight? The weather has been great.
#128 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Oh my gosh, can I just vent for a minute? Without getting into specifics (because this is not a place for politics or activism) the whole emphasis on standardized testing as a way to measure academic 'achievement' just makes me . Not only are the tests obviously biased, and a very poor mode of measurement by any standard, but they absolutely cripple real learning and crush any intellectual curiosity or development of critical analysis skills of kids/students. And making teachers' pay dependent on standardized test scores is a sure way to push a lot of teachers right out the door.

Not to mention, I'm not sure I want my kids in an environment where the only important thing is how they do on some bleepin' test. This affects them/us less now, because of the Montessori, but it certainly will as time goes on...hello homeschooling for high school.

UGH. WHAT in the world has happened to educating people to be THINKERS?! Or maybe I'll put my conspiracy theory hat on and say...that was never the point of schools. Producing drones is/was. Gah.

It just makes me so upset and sad...to see kids with real potential and innate intelligence have no desire whatsoever to delve deeply into interesting ideas; who cannot and will not write in any coherent way; whose only concern is "will this be on the test?" and who -- when they graduate high school and/or university -- are incapable of comprehending abstract, complex concepts and who cannot think critically about anything beyond what is in US News & World Report (a.k.a. McNews).

Okay, I guess that does it for Nic's Daily Rant. Carry on.

Still no run. Waiting for the landlord to come fix the toilet

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#129 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sing it, Nic.

Everything you said and more. DD is taking those tests as we speak. For her, they are the gate keepers between her and a curriculum she's begging for: challenging, at her level, and to be put with other kids who see school as a place to learn.
#130 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Amen, sisters. Ds took those tests this year and while they are an accurate reflection of his current ability in reading and math...um...so what? I see it clearly as what to take advantage of and where we need to work harder (math, lucky me), but it says nothing about whether he thinks critically, solves problems creatively, approaches others with empathy, etc.

So who wants to run for me? Just kidding, but I had some sleep problems of my own last night and overslept, and now I am behind on about everything.

So I'm here, reading about my ladies.

OK, OK, going.
#131 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Sing it, Nic.

Everything you said and more. DD is taking those tests as we speak. For her, they are the gate keepers between her and a curriculum she's begging for: challenging, at her level, and to be put with other kids who see school as a place to learn.

Yes, this Geo. Here we do have a public school entirely for Gifted & Talented. It goes from 3rd-12th grade and is ranked as one of the top ten high schools in the country (Pine View School).

To get your kid in, they have to take IQ and all kinds of other standardized tests. If you have the district do it through the kids' current school, that current school ESE (exceptional student ed) office has a strong interest in making sure gifted kids remain where they are. So most people go to an independent educational psychologist for testing. To the tune of $2500 per kid.

I have no idea if my kids would qualify or even if it's a good idea (high pressure environment). Maybe for high school we'll give it a shot, because the education at the school is supposedly first rate (although I've got to investigate this further...it seems like, on the surface, the idea for g&t ed is pushing the curriculum ahead a year, accelerating instruction, and loading as many AP courses on as possible).

I don't know. I love the Montessori thing, and I'm glad the kids are there and that I'll be teaching there. But, even there, learning can be squelched just by virtue of school as an institution and the fact that even this Montessori is beholden to the state standardized testing (since it's a charter). It's hard to watch, especially as someone who *knows* I could provide a better education. And maybe it will end up that way. But right now my kids love school and I need a job, so . Le Big Sigh.

#132 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ah, but Jo, even if they get a cognitive skills test, the school will call the results a fluke and ignore it. Useful, individualized information might suggest that an appropriate education for one child is not identical to an appropriate education for another. Duh.
#133 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Well, shoot, mel. I'm glad you're getting some answers. The good news is that if it *is* meniscus, the surgery really is relatively easy, as surgeries go.

I was all set to go for a run with a friend this morning, but woke up to this weird rain/snow/frozen crap mix, so I bailed. And of course, now the sun is coming out and the birds are singing. Oh well. I have to go pick DS up from X shortly, so I think I'll do that, we'll do some stuff around home this morning, and then I'll go to the Y for a swim while he's at school this afternoon. And then I absolutely MUST get going on laundry and packing since we're leaving in the morning. I foresee very little sleep tonight. I wish I could be one of those organized, get-it-all-done types of people, but alas, this is how I roll.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#134 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Zub - I honestly can't imagine working with how Val nurses/sleeps. She sounds much like Rafi.

I am reading along, but it's getting crazy busy around here. Today I am watching 2 girls for friends while friends and DH go for a long hike. I have to clean house, do ALL laundry, Target run, and cook for our going away party tonight.

Tomorrow is move out into the RV and cleaning. Thursday during the day we are leaving for Tucson and Friday DH will be riding up Mt. Lemmon. I'll try to keep you all updated as we go.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#135 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Education-thinking mamas, who has read Derek Jensen's Walking On Water? Totally blew my mind - I'm hoping to get special permission () to teach it to my first-year students next fall. It is just amazing.

Memiles, w00t!

Zub, Hang in there.

...back to work...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#136 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Jennie ~ good luck on the road!

Gaye ~ SOOOOO envious of your trail run today. It sounded like a blast.

Mel ~ so glad they're moving quickly. I've had menisectomies in both knees and the recovery was pretty easy (at least compared to the ACL repair which was a bitch...) Do your PT though .

Nic, Geo, Jo ~ right there with you on standardized testing, etc. DS's state testing starts tomorrow. Blork.

I just finished all my grocery shopping for this Friday's ROTC senior social. It's much smaller than the Christmas social, so I'm not too stressed about it all. Plus, I've farmed out the desserts and appetizers to the other cadre members .

I also started taking flax oil yesterday and it's working great to keep my appetite in check! When the flax oil runs out, I think I'll try coconut oil though. Might be a little tastier... I hope.

No FM today, but DH promised I could go to the Y tonight after dinner. If I go later, I can even watch Biggest Loser in peace and relative quiet .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#137 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
My eldest is very much like Nic's. Very high need, very sensitive, very intense. I am convinced that, not only would CIO with her have been traumatic, I don't think it would have worked. She was the kind of kid that would have cried for hours and hours on end if we didn't attend to her. I can't imagine the emotional state she would have needed to be in to give up on the crying. We never tried it.
It's sooooooo hard to deal with at the time, and I remember that R's sleep got progressively worse as she approached 12 months--which also coincided with the end of the fall semester. I was only working pt and it was still hard. R sounds very much like bec's oldest. We're still convinced that CIO wouldn't have worked though. For that matter, when we nightweaned at 2-1/2, it took 9 months before she stopped waking up weekly or more frequently to scream about nursing. The good news is that she started sleeping in her own bed in August, after I got pregnant, and started mostly sleeping through the night about a month before Julia arrived. She's only been up a couple of times in the middle of the night since--and she even started coming into our room rather than yelling for me to come get her! (Also, we use melatonin at night to help her get to sleep. We started after she turned 4. I wouldn't recommend it for a LO, but it seems to help R release the anxieties of the day and fall asleep when every other technique we'd tried hadn't. At least now she's no longer chronically overtired.) Anyhow, it WILL get better, hopefully sooner than later.

I dreamed that I was running last night. Partway through the dream, I realized I wasn't 6 weeks pp yet, and then thought, "well, I just won't tell the midwives."

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#138 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
, as always I'm so grateful for the advice, empathy and sharing. We've not considered CIO AT ALL, but more and more people suggest it. Mostly it's framed in terms like, 'does Raf now how to self-soothe?', with the pretext being 'you should let him cry and figure it out' It honestly breaks my heart even thinking about it. I don't really consider him to be high needs, but, frankly, I have nothing to compare him to, and probably he is quite high needs, especially around sleep.

In fact, guess where he's napping now, and why I am on MDC !

He wakes up a lot during the night, and mostly that is manageable, especially since more and more he doesn't mind snuggling with DH for at least one sleep cycle. The challenge right now is wanting him to sleep on his own before DH and I head to bed (say 7-9pm). DH takes him up and he falls asleep relatively easy, but if DH tries to move him to his crib then he'll almost certainly not want to stay there... and, like you Bec et al. if we don't get there within a minute or so he is beside himself. Poor baby. If we did let him CIO I think he would for sure cry all night and the stress for him would be unbelievably. Anyway, DH and I don't get even a minute alone and it would be nice to sit down and, you know, just chat about our days. but I have to remember that this is our reality for now and it won't last forever.

Plady, YES, that would be such a great idea as DS, especially when he's napping with DH, flails his arms around and wakes himself up constantly. I'm going to suggest that DH do that. moslty DH ends up holding DS's arms down

Nic, you are definitely right about working outside the home. It's why I love cosleeping so much because it does afford us some time to reconnect. I can live with the night nursing, though a little less might be nice. Last night DS slept quite well and I nursed him around 8:45 (when I went to bed and took over from DH), 11:30pm, 2am, 4am (and then I got up to go to the gym and DS happily snuggled with DH). Frankly I could live with that schedule, it's the every 45 minute nights which leave me exhausted.

Mommajb, you're inspiring me with your swimming... I know it's just cross-training but, you know, perhaps you could join me in signing up for a sprint triathlon!

Standardized testing It's so awful... and I dread dealing with this when DS gets older. In the UK we don't have quite so much.. thank goodness as I'd never been let into university

oh, Mel, I hope whatever it is your knee feels much better soon. Let us know, mama

umm, Jennie, i may work outside the house but, woman, that's a LOT going on today.

I did get up for my very early gym classes. 1 hour weights class followed by a 1 hour yoga class. It's my day with DS (working from home ) and we're having a snuggly sort of day.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#139 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
we're having a snuggly sort of day.
that sounds so nice!

Bec, did a part of your post get cut off... what might the leg thing be?

JayGee, I'm so glad to hear that they are easier! But yes, you are right. This time, I really need to be serious about PT. When I had my ligaments repaired 20 years ago, I was such a slacker! I am dreaming about working really, really hard at it this time around.

Oh, Nick, just vent away about that testing and all the junk that goes along with it. I'm so with you. It makes me crazy, too, and now that we are here in Germany and there is zero, zilch, no testing at all!! And somehow they manage!? Why can't we?

I really need to read up on some education stuff since we'll be back in the midst of it next year. And for DS, too, a year later.

Penelope: A very timely tip. I will look that book up and add it to my list on Amazon.

Off to knit and watch a movie on tv with DH and DD.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#140 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 04:25 PM

I'm a little behind, but just popping in to sub and say that I just registered for the 2011 Disneyworld Half. Is there a nail biting smiley? I guess this one captures it too...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#141 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Okay, mamas, I'm going to post what's going on and then catch up on your posts and then report my (very little but some) FM.

First, I need a dingo hug. I haven't cried yet, but I'm about to bawl for the first time just reporting it here. Short story, a close cousin died Easter morning. Part of the short version, her daughter - and one of my closest friends - gave birth to twins 3 days earlier and called me knowing her mom was about to die and asked if I could come hold/help watch babies so she could be with her mom. I packed to go and boom, her mom died and I didn't make it. I spent the next 24 hours holding/burping/cleaning/helping an extremely distraught new mother who admitted to me she's just beyond coping and needs to cry but can't. Long Story (skip if you'd like). Do any of you remember my Winter of Discontent :-) in upstate NY? I house/dog-sat outside of Boston for almost a month while they honeymooned in Africa. She's in her upper 30s and has been trying to get pregnant with lots of professional help in Boston but is total natural mother kind of chick. Lots of tears, injections, several miscarriages, she finally had babies that stayed in. Healthy twins. Against everyone's wishes, she planned on everything natural, no-med birth, etc. We spent last Thanksgiving together with her mom, too, and everyone was fine, though her mom had an annoying cough but was her usual awesome self. After T-giving, she had the cough checked, then mentioned a by-the-way pain in her hip. They checked it out and she had full-body cancer, as in too much to even do chemo, too much to treat, and so much they couldn't even tell her where it began. Basically, it was just: you're about to die so get your ducks in a row. So this diagnosis came in January. They thought she might live 6 months at the most. We all live in Texas but her daughter, my friend, lives in Concord, Mass. At 34 weeks pregnant, and with no one's permission, she rounded up women who flew to her side and alternated driving her down to see her mom before she died. She went straight to MDAnderson Cancer Center in Houston, saw her mom, found on ob/gyn and told her she might deliver any day. They release her mom to Hospice in Waco, Tx, giving her 3 weeks to live. Everyone believes she is holding out for the babies and people are pressuring Sus to have them by c-section so mom can go. She insists on waiting until they are ready and keeping them as long as possible and her mom waits in pain for babies to be born. March 31, at 38 weeks, she goes into labor and delivers both naturally with yet a different doctor and different doula. They are healthy, latch on and nurse beautifully. But, their twins, you know? So she's not sleeping at all. She gets the sense her mom is going to die and e-mails me to come immediately and before I can even finish packing, she's gone. Right at the beginning of Easter service. To make matters more difficult, she has had to bounce around between houses. Can you imagine moving and living out of your suitcase with a newborn? with twins? and your mom has died? She's staying in a relative's available apartment now and we come and go. I finally was able to get there and help and maybe with the peace that the babies were fine, I heard her begin to finally let it all out, screaming, in her bath. Her mom was a Director of a Children's Museum. She lived for kids and lived for the day she could be a grandmother and in the meantime had numerous children who flocked to her, mine included. She also headed up the children's activities at every gathering with huge bins of stuff for them to do. And Sus needs her mom desperately. Her (rather new) step-dad has the house and she's not comfortable there so she's returning by car, with another entourage of women helping, back to Mass this weekend. They will once again drive without stopping, I think. Relatives are enouraging her to formula feed the baby, let them cry it out at night, anything to let Sus sleep and she is trying to maintain her strength to continue nursing the 5-day-old twins in spite of it all. She probably hasn't slept since they were born for more than 1 hour and looks extremely anemic right now. She's vegetarian and there aren't good food choices around here. She's an awesome, strong woman. She ran the NY (or was it Boston) marathon not too long ago and rock climbs all over the world. She was part of a crew who went with one of our cousins to Nepal several years ago. So she's tough. But no matter how tough you, giving birth to twins 3000 miles away from your home to be with your mom as she dies requires something beyond tough, I think. How is it that this happens in life. And in a cruel twist of fate, about 3 weeks ago, her father's intestines ruptured and he got some infections and has been in a coma for 3 weeks now. Can I cry now?

I've been fitting in bits of yoga for my own sanity while I hover around without hovering too much to be available. My dh has taken off work to be totally in charge of our kids so I am free to help. I had hoped to get in a run today and still might if I don't fall asleep after my crying jag. Thanks for listening. I know you have your own stories, too. I will catch up now.

to the Dingoes!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#142 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh, Lofty, many to your friend/cousin and to you. What an unbelievably hard and sad story. Bless you for being there to help her out.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#143 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Lofty, no words. 2

Sending love, light, peace, and prayers her (and your) way.

#144 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Oh wow. Lofty...just, wow. I don't even have words.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#145 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
bec

Standardized tests, and schools not meeting kids' needs. 'nuf said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Bec, did a part of your post get cut off... what might the leg thing be?
No, not part of the post, just part of my brain. My calf has been sore, sore, sore since the half a little over a week ago, and I'm worried it will need something more than the icing, massage, stretching, icing, etc. that I've been giving it! I think I may have had a little breakthrough today, though, as a long swim and sitting in the whirl pool letting a jet beat it to a pulp seems to have made a big difference.

Lofty - Oh mama, how hard. What a way to start out motherhood! I wish her and her babes strength, peace, and each other. So sad.

FMR: I swam for over 1.75 miles! 60 laps (35 laps = 1 mile). I had certainly meant to do 70, and had it in me, but there was an aqua class that was starting, so I had to get out. A little aggravating, but there it is. I just had 500 meters to go, and I know I had that in me. It felt really good. It felt like long runs used to feel before I lost my mojo. Maybe it will be back for Thursday's 15!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#146 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 PM

lofty to you and all around you.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#147 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
oh, lofty, just heartbreaking,

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#148 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM

of lofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Molly is RP's sister.
my worst nightmare . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Oh my gosh, can I just vent for a minute? Without getting into specifics (because this is not a place for politics or activism) the whole emphasis on standardized testing as a way to measure academic 'achievement' just makes me . Not only are the tests obviously biased, and a very poor mode of measurement by any standard, but they absolutely cripple real learning and crush any intellectual curiosity or development of critical analysis skills of kids/students. And making teachers' pay dependent on standardized test scores is a sure way to push a lot of teachers right out the door.
sing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I'm a little behind, but just popping in to sub and say that I just registered for the 2011 Disneyworld Half. Is there a nail biting smiley? I guess this one captures it too...
woot!
#149 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Good For You--I am dreaming of doing the Princess 1/2--As soon as DH gets a job I want to sign up (trying to positive and not saying if dh ever gets a job)

Lofty that is a heartbreaker.

Looking forward to my run tomorrow.
#150 of 815 Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM

to both you and your friend, Lofty. I can't imagine. Make sure she's watched very closely for PPD- the exhaustion, the trauma, the multiples can all contribute.

I have had a crazy day, but one that included FM. Woke up to a text that a client of my academic preceptor's was in labor, and could I come as mom had a history of 10+ lb babies and sticky shoulders. Got the kids ready, arranged for dh to drive carpool, got another call that she was only 5. Took the kids to school myself, drove to Seattle to do a postpartum visit, drove home, went to the gym to kill time....more on this in a moment.

Finished at the gym, decided to drive home to shower, stopped at the dry cleaner to pick up my shortened new jeans, was almost home when I got the call that she was feeling pushy. Swung into the house to at least take off the super sweaty spandex, was completely nekkid when the phone rang again...in the course of 5 minutes she had gone from "feeling pushy" to "holding her baby". Eleven pound baby girl, attended by only the midwifery student left to labor sit, not a stitch required. Some women really know how to get a baby out! So, called back the doula consult client, headed to her house, stopped by the tattoo studio on the way home to discuss Friday's ink, and am now finally back. Phew!

My FM today: Started off with a planned 30 minutes of hills on the spin bike, felt so good I kept going and made it 45. Got off and my legs felt great, so I decided to jump on the treadmill for a bit........and it was effortless. My legs felt fresh, evenly balanced, fast. No calf cramp, no IT tightness, no shin splints. Just legs that felt like the could run forever. Ended up doing 25 minutes of speed work, with the resulting run coming in at an under 10 minute mile pace. Ummmm, what the hell? Does it take a full on workout on the bike to get me warmed up to run? The way this felt made me think I'd really like a tri, that's for sure! Anyhoo, I cut myself short because I want a real run tomorrow and didn't want to press my luck.

And now I'm going to attempt to make dinner.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page