Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome, sewanee! Glad you came by.

Nemesis...No end to the excitement.

I ran 3.5 on the TM, followed by 35min on the elliptical, then weights etc., then 20 min on the bike. Then whirlpool, then sauna.

And today I didn't stink. Did I mention I ate sauerkraut on stinky day? Yup.

I made an exceptionally tasty (albeit garlic-free) batch of hummus yesterday, and am having a lovely solo lunch at the cafe with yall.

Next, cleaning house a little and then off to pick up my kids. We're going to visit friends tomorrow, and next thing we know it'll be back to school.
#182 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 PM

RR: This was today's work out then some arm weights.

This was yesterday's work out but I modified it. squats for number one and one leg lunge to sides for number two.

Wowzers!

Need to clean up the house a little for the inlaws to come over for cake for my ds1's 10th bday!!
#183 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 03:46 PM

JayGee! That is weird about your getting billed for anesthesia. The SAME thing happened to me!

When I had my second daughter, I was induced (10 days postdates, high blood pressure, high risk situation -- I had lost a twin at 18 weeks into the pregnancy or so and was under observation for placental previa until 36 weeks). I refused pain medication, though. And kept refusing. And gave birth hanging over the back of the bed (which was raised up) on my knees, freaking out the entire labor ward (except for my doctor, who was actually a resident, and was the Coolest. OB. Ever.).

It was a major point of pride for me that I didn't have an epidural that time! (I had one with my first birth and it turned into a nightmare).

So we got a bill for $35X for anesthesia. I called up and said, I did not have anesthesia! They said the same thing...they had to be there just in case, so they billed. We fought it. (I mean, really...if my husband could bill every time he had to be in the hospital to check on patients, we would be very rich). Eventually we won. What a scam.

I am feeling very sick to my stomach right now, don't know why. Bleh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#184 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Dropping in to report a great 8 mile run. It felt great--I just wish the park district would turn on water fountains at the park.
#185 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
Dropping in to report a great 8 mile run. It felt great--I just wish the park district would turn on water fountains at the park.
I wish they'd unlock the flippin-flappin bathrooms before May 1!
#186 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I am feeling very sick to my stomach right now, don't know why. Bleh.
Because you're living my life: I just found out there are 4 finalists for the teaching position I want. I'm one of them. They will be cutting that number down for on campus interviews sometime next week (interviewing next week that is). I heard through the grapevine that a friend from grad school is another of the finalists. He holds a t-t position in Penn. currently but would like to move back to this area. We have multiple mutual friends and it would be truly awful to deal with if he got the position and I did not. Friends, I am a wreck. I was feeling really really good about the situation until today. Blech.

Universe: I am open to whatever the future holds. Just speed the bleeping process up because this process is killing me.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#187 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM

kerc, petitioning the universe on your behalf.

anesthesia: One local hospital requires an anesthesia consult for every. single. laboring woman. No matter if they walk in pushing, no matter if they've had 12 unmedicated births. They explain that it's because they are a teaching hospital and the baby docs are getting experience, but you guys are making me curious about how they bill for those consults. And it's incredibly annoying to have a completely clueless person barging in to talk epidural with a woman who is doing just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Guys, I had the best run ever today. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't fast, but it was 4.1 miles of joy, plus the half mile hike up my mountain. It was cold and windy and a bit rainy at times, but was so good that I was singing, and at certain points a lyric would hit me as perfect and make me cry. It was probably more hills than I should have been doing right now, and my questionable leg is talking to me a bit, but I have a massage tonight and I'm confident it will feel fine when she's done.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#188 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 PM

Kerc, I wish I could hold your hand in person. I hate the damn academic job hunt. It is demoralizing like nothing else.

Remember that it's not about your value as a researcher or a teacher or a human being; it's about fit. Just fit, and comfort, and chemistry, all of which are important but not merit-based.

Good luck, mama.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#189 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
bec

Universe! Give Kerc a break! Thanks!

So, my friend did some Google doctoring for me (I've really been avoiding it). She thinks shin splints (or close enough to it to be virtually the same). Upon reading the description, I think she's right. So, I am going to not run tomorrow, but hit the pool and bike hard for the next week and see where that leads me. I'm also going to go to a PT that my friend used to work for and get a free taping for the week. Hopefully, this will do it. I am worried that I am going to get too far behind on my long run schedule. Help me calm down, mamas! I'm still going to be able to run this marathon, right?!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#190 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Kerc,

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#191 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
kerc your way. What a horrible situation. Penelope is so wise in her words. I really am hoping you get this job. It always feels so arbitrary, especially when it comes down to the final few.

Nemesis What a week you're having...

A quick update... I took ds to the Drs and thankfully it's nothing major. He has a tummy bug but he's still nursing like a champ so he is staying hydrated. But his fever was high and I get so worried... Tylenol has brought it down, thankfully. But basically no sleep last night and I had to work this afternoon, though thank goodness for TAs who were leading a study session in class time. I ended up taking ds to class for 10 minutes while I waited for DH to collect him after his meeting. It's crazy around here. And now I've just gotten ds to bed! In his CRIB. On his own... I just need 30 minutes and I will be in a better place to handle the night and will love snuggling even more. DH has gone running, esentially leaving me with his job (putting ds to bed)

No FM... maybe a trip to the gym for an early morning weights class, though I will have to see how the little fella is doing. he's 9 months old today!

bec - take care of those shin splints

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#192 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 PM

RR: decent 4m on the 'mill this morning.

Work Report: basically done with the two conference papers to be given (each by my co-author) this weekend; not done with reading conference papers I'll be responding to (seven in all?) at conference that's six hours away; must drive there Friday, run sessions, attend conference and run sessions Saturday, then drive home (arriving midnight if I'm lucky) and then host ds's birthday party the next afternoon.

Unexpectedly found a paper I'd submitted to a journal was published, when the journal was in my mailbox today. Not a big journal, but still exciting. I think I'm going to work through every possible publishable paper I've written this summer and submit one every two weeks, and then buy myself some shoes.

I'm really tired and ready for a good run... I think I can squeeze one in Saturday morning at MIL's - they're about two miles from a great park with a really nice loop around a lake.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#193 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Dana! What a story! What a tragic/beautiful story! What a really amazing group of friends your cousin has to drive her so far and how wonderful that she could be with her mom. I'm so sorry though, it's all so painful too.

Nemesis - Oh damn that is so unfair and sad! My heart goes out to you and your children. And Sassy, you were a little dog with a big brave heart.

Zub - to R for a long long needless sleep.

Kerc - coming at you for a quick resolution to your best advantage!

Bec - that it's nothing a little rest and care won't fix right up!

Mel - Oh man! I'm glad you've got a course of action but I'm sorry that it's interfering with your dh's visit.

memiles - Belated congrats on midwifery school!

RM - I haven't checked out your links yet but I have a feeling that I should go do one of them too! I've been sooo bad about getting any strength work in recently and I can totally feel the difference!

Penelope - Congrats on the journal! And on getting a bit of a run in! How old is ds going to be? Just thinking about how dd1's favorite b'day parties have involved little more than pizza, cake and balloons.

DrJen - Another great read, thank you!

RR: I did 3 and a bit with my RP this morning. It felt fine but I HAVE TO STRETCH AND FOAM ROLL!!!! I have to! I'm ridiculously sore and that half coming up is going to kick my if I don't get a little flexibility back before then.

I'm a little stressed about my upcoming visit to my mom's so I've been mostly offline trying to stay too busy to think about it. Ah, families.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#194 of 815 Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 PM

sewanee~ Welcome!

kerc~ and

Dude. Who turned on the freaking monsoon? Sheesh. I left 4 inches of snow at home and landed in Detroit to a tropical storm! Which I then had to drive 2 hours through to get to my parents' house. On the bright side, it was raining so hard, it was too loud in the car to hear DS's constant whining for the last hour.

It was a kind of fun trip, though. A handful of other Miami hockey fans on the flight, several other people just going to the Frozen Four to watch, and I even met our former athletic director (who is now at Minnesota) in the elevator going to the rental car shuttle. I'm not looking forward to all the driving I will be doing over the next four days, but I can't wait for hockey tomorrow! I've got the fight song downloaded onto my iphone, all my Miami apparel laid out, and assorted accessories (pins, pompoms, etc) ready to go. It's hockey time!

Only bad side is that I do not foresee any fm other than jumping around and screaming at hockey games until (at a minimum) Saturday morning. Oh well. It'll be worth it!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#195 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 AM

Gaye--glad you made it there safely, even in a monsoon!

kerc--hope the universe cooperates.

nemesis--that's really awful. I'm sorry.

drjen--glad she got her vbac after all that!

Re hospital billing: we're watching the bills come in now, and our hospital tried to bill J for the nursery--which she didn't stay in at all. They took her there to weigh her and do the bili checks, but she roomed with me otherwise. (Insurance said it wasn't a billable expense, of course.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#196 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Only bad side is that I do not foresee any fm other than jumping around and screaming at hockey games until (at a minimum) Saturday morning. Oh well. It'll be worth it!
Don't lose hope, Gaye! I'm sure there will be beer as well! That's gotta count for something. Arm strength training or something?

So, I'm trying to think of a non-impact workout to replace my long run. I think I'm going to do a brick of some sort. A mile in the pool and an hour on the bike? It won't be equivalent time wise, but should be pretty good effort wise. I hope.

#197 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
So, I'm trying to think of a non-impact workout to replace my long run. I think I'm going to do a brick of some sort. A mile in the pool and an hour on the bike? It won't be equivalent time wise, but should be pretty good effort wise. I hope.
If the weather is decent, can you do a bike-swim-bike? I did a workout like that right before my olympic tri where I ran 5 miles to the Y, swam an hour, then ran 5 miles home. You could map out a 15 mile bike to the pool, swim, then bike back?

kerc ~ what a tough situation .

Gaye ~ have a blast at the game! Bec may be onto something with those 12 oz. curls !

I'm going to be extra busy today getting ready for my dinner party tomorrow night. Cleaning my house is the priority, as well as pre-cooking/preparing anything I possibly can. I wish I could swim this morning while DD is at preschool, but I don't want to waste those precious kid-free hours when I have so much prep to do for this party. Maybe I can go tonight after DH gets home...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#198 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
If the weather is decent, can you do a bike-swim-bike? I did a workout like that right before my olympic tri where I ran 5 miles to the Y, swam an hour, then ran 5 miles home. You could map out a 15 mile bike to the pool, swim, then bike back?
That is a great idea! It is under 40 degrees here, though, and there is the threat of precipitation. So, I'm thinking I will do that at the gym. 45 minutes on the spin bike (they don't have a way of determining distance), mile swim, and 45 more minutes on the bike. Or, should I brave the weather?

#199 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Kerc

Bec- I have some shin compression sleeves I could send you. They really helped when I was still running and having shin pain. I wore them while running, but a lot of people wear them afterwards only. They are zensah brand. Just let me know and I'll get them to you!

Hospital billing is a joke. I understand some of it, some of it I don't. I was billed for everything with my second DD that I was billed for with the first, except DD2 wasn't born there. She was born on the way to the hospital. I still paid for a birthing room, OB, recovery room, drugs, etc.. all things that I did not receive. I think it wouldn't have been so bad, but because we had to go across the state line to get to the hospital our insurance ended up not covering a lot of it.

We are all doing ok here. Recovering, I guess. I am hoping for some running today. Something easy, since I've been out of action for a while. I guess I am aiming for 3 miles run/walk. Hopefully the wind holds off. It has been terribly windy here all week.
#200 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM

There will definitely be libations! Preferably with an older, wealthy alum paying for them.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#201 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM

This is a chatty thread. I’ll try to keep up!

Kerc – I graduated from HS in ’97. I wasn’t a big time college swimmer, division III, and was decent for my conference, but not a national qualifier. When do you hear more about your job?

JayGee – Those first couple miles of a run or meters of a swim are the WORST! But, ahhhh the zen afterward!

Nemesis – There are a lot of free roaming dogs in my area, although not very friendly. I carry pepper spray on my runs after being bitten a few years ago on a walk. How’s your family doing today?

Bec – I have to keep my laces really loose when on an ellipitical to keep my feet from going numb. While I was training for my 1st half marathon I had a knee injury that prevented me from doing any run past the 8 mile long run. Since I’d paid for the race I wasn’t going to miss it so I did a lot of intense x-training on the elliptical, swimming (running in the pool is great!), and LOTS of weights. I was able to finish the race, but had to walk a bit because of my knee. A lot of stretching combined with icing a couple times a day is supposed to help with shin splints.

RunningMommy – happy birthday to your DS! When is the big day?

Memiles – I love those rare, but perfect runs.

Tjsmama – you are up in the area where my sister lives. Have fun at the game. Hockey is sooo much fun to watch.

Anyone know a good way to keep the hip flexors from cramping after long runs? I stretch a LOT and I try to keep as hydrated as I can on the days of long runs, but my hip is usually the area I have issues with afterward. If it were another area I would ice, but this area isn’t easy to ice.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#202 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome. Laura

Hip flexors.. before I run I do dynamic stretches. Are you familiar with crescent pose? It's like that but with the back knee on the floor, and then I move forwards and backwards holding the stretch for 2 second on the forwards... and I repeat each leg 10 times. After I run some yoga poses - like crescent and lunge poses really help with the hip. But I have ongoing issues because of a significant leg length discrepancy.

Gaye have fun!

Bec, tell those shins to behave. in the mean time the brick sounds like a good idea. I think I may do one myself this weekend.

DS is MUCH better.. thank goodness. He slept really well. He slept for 30 mins in his crib so I didn't have to go to bed at 8pm, and then only woke up twice before 4am to nurse. It was a blissful co-sleeping night. But when I woke up at 4 he was not ready for me to leave the bed and thus the gym and so I stayed and snuggled. But, oh my, I am in such a funk. My body feels depressed and I have lost my mojo in every way. DH offered to come home so I could run but I am feeling blah. I know that some energy in my body would be a very good idea but I am having serious issues with this fog I'm in. I am so far holding it together and not taking it out, erroneously, on DH, but, but, but... oh, I am on the brink of a major sob.

Oh, i also have a ton of essays to grade for tomorrow. When I will get them done is something I am trying to work out.

Thanks, Lofty and Plady for the sleepy vibes, I think it helped A LOT!

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#203 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Laura I am another that does some regular yoga for my hip flexors. If I am not careful I really feel the tightness in my lower back.

Is it yet?

Today is really shaping up to be busy and stressful for me. Yet, here I sit waiting for papers to be dropped off. Mostly lots of running people around and paying lots of money for stuff for the kids: orthodontist, swimming x 2, running shoes x 2, gymnastics x 2, and then arrange child care for the remaining 2. I feel like I am hemorrhaging money and losing all control of my time. I asked a friend who is due with her 5th any day now if she could pick up my girls at one stop. I am on stand-by to take her kids so we joked that this should push her over the edge into labor. Oh yeah, it is family fun night at the school book fair too. I had signed up for cookies so there I was at 5am baking peanut butter cookies. They turned out oddly chewy instead of crumbly but still tasty so I sent them. What a way to start the day.

I ran this morning but after I dropped some of the kiddos at school. I swear it wasn't raining when I walked them over but by the end of my run it was really raining and blowing. I was soaked and cold then sweaty when I stopped. 8.5 miles or so completed. At least it wasn't dark.

My favorite quote from Helen's recent essay: "My favorite sudjeck is spelling and math." We know it isn't grammar from her subject/verb (dis)agreement. I don't know why this makes me smile but it does.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#204 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 PM

I crammed in 2mi on the TM and some abs before taking ds to his first orthodontic consult. Way too much money. I know we can squeeze it out of somewhere, but it is going to hurt...and dh, coming from a part of the world where teeth don't get fixed, they get pulled...just ugh.

I am thinking about not going with them to Morocco.

Worst of all is that dh himself has a huge bunch of dental work being done (the long-term effects of not dealing with dental issues) this afternoon. I am looking at two payment plans adding up to more than $350 a month (for a year!) just in the dental arena. Not counting what we probably owe for xrays and preventive care (we get billed after insurance).

I guess the bright side is that we're almost done with heating season and the electrical bills will drop soon...and dh will be traveling so hopefully phone bills will drop without all the international calls he makes, and we'll spend a lot less on gas and food...I just wish I could pay in full and not look at it again. And somehow I need to get soccer cleats, socks and shin guards for both kids before the season starts. Which is like next week.

It's been a while since I've been overwhelmed by money issues. Of course it's about time...and this, too, shall pass.

I want to try to squeeze in another couple miles this afternoon, but dh will be at the dentist until after 7PM, so it will have to be at home. And I am fed up with my own kids right now, too.

Is it me? Is it just life today? Or is it the 4" of snow that fell overnight?
#205 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Jo, we cross posted but I feel your orthodontia pain. We are starting phase 2 for ds1 and dh is fighting me. Urg. That plus the money. Arg.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#206 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post
JayGee – Those first couple miles of a run or meters of a swim are the WORST! But, ahhhh the zen afterward!
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Is it me? Is it just life today?
I don't know what it is but it's not just you. I got up this morning to a gorgeous sunny day and decided I had to answer my brother's last email about how depressing it was to have to talk to me about our parents. I ended up trying to write the gentlest possible ultimatum saying that unless he could get over himself and be willing to talk about anything and everything with me then our relationship is going to be reduced to nothing more than the most superficial holiday card level. Not something I wanted to say but it was time. Big sigh.

Let's all hope we each get a satisfying sweat up today! I know I need one!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#207 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks, my sisters.

Had a good discussion with dh. I think I should be thankful this is timed with his own dental work, since he can see the value in terms of future crap we can try to avoid. Even though it will be $$-hard, there's no argument right now. It's the how, not the whether. That alone is a giant burden lifted.

I just need to wrap my brain around payment plans. Sigh.

And yes, get out and sweat if you can!
#208 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Jooj. I am sure we have major orthodontia coming along sometime soon... I did see cleats at Target and Payless this week, if that helps at all. Tons on eBay also.

I am feeling very anxious and today. The real estate agent is calling me again to hound me about our decision, telling me we're ruining our lives. I said I am no longer the intermediary here, they'll have to deal with dh -- who is basically ignoring them. It translates into significant anxiety and nausea for me.

I did get my first mammogram today. SMUSH. The technician was very nice and kept asking me if I was in pain. I had to laugh. Natural childbirth + toddlers who nurse by attempting gymnastics with one's breast/nipple are significantly more uncomfortable! I told her that and she had a good laugh.

Trying to and remember that we will be okay. I will be okay. I have my friends, my family, a decent place to live, and what I need to exist. We are okay. We will be okay. Credit score is just a number and not a moral reflection. Sigh.

#209 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM

So this morning i walk into our church mom group, set my purse/coat at our table then walk over to help set up. I come back a few minutes later and can't find my keys. I have NO idea what even prompted me to look for my keys. So then starts the search, three times into the parking lot, all over the church, announcement in front of 70+ women that I can't find my keys.

So two hours later, the lead mom next to me pulls a set of keys out of HER PURSE and said, "who's keys are these???" really perplexed. Too funny that she had picked them up and put them in her purse the whole time. She said she has done that to people more than once and jokingly been called clepto at hospital she takes her husband too.

RR: day off for me

Took dsd to get her car insurance and she is in a foul mood. I think she is getting scared to be getting closer to being on her own. Hoping her check is enough tomorrow for her to get her plates and title, so she can drive herself!!! Been driving her everywhere since November.

Off to get ready for picking up one child, taking another to work, then picking up second child, then off to work for me. Love to you ladies!!
#210 of 815 Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Perspective is good. Not always easy, though.

The universe has provided me with a way to stay busy during this tough time. We found bugs in our crackers this morning and I am disinfecting the cupboards and putting the safe things back now. It's been a long morning.

I am saddened by the amount of food I had to throw out, but I'm also pleased by how much of my food storage was still safe. I'm glad I spent the time finding food safe 3 gallon buckets. I saved several hundreds of dollars worth of food, even though a lot of the stuff in store packaging had to go.

Most of it is DH's snack foods, so I'm not so worried. I'm sure he'll miss them, though.
I also made a quick trip to the thrift store for some extra tupperware.

Oh, I did get some weight lifting in, but I'm not sure I'll be up for a run today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page