Mothering Forum banner

Dingos are all Barefoot Marathoners! April Running Thread

26K views 814 replies 43 participants last post by  Plady 
#1 ·
April Fools!

Okay, carry on!

See less See more
#402 ·
I'm back! I've even caught up a little on the thread!

I'm sure I'll get behind again right away so first of all
JayGee! I hope it was totally lovely.

RM - Dang that girl just pushes every line huh? But someday she'll thank you for being so strict.

Potty trainers - I'm in the bribing for a poop on the potty phase. It's hard to play it cool when the first one did it so easily.

Roasted-otherwise-gross-veggies - I wonder if that technique would work on lima beans? But maybe it's not worth trying when cauliflower and brussel sprouts are so dang

JenLove/Lofty meetup = totally envious.

Kerc/Mr. Modmom/Mr JayGee -
for the perfect position

Zub -
for Justice to prevail for your friend.

Jooj - 9 min miles huh? And maybe you need to pass a magnetic field over dh's cc?

Ah, I missed the cafe. It was a busy week at my mom's and I'm really glad I went. When I got there she was exhausted and overwhelmed and at that point of packing where you can't make a decision about one more freaking thing but there still has to be one made every 5 minutes. But we got her out of the house that she had bought for her and her fiancee who then turned out to be a total charlatan and which she could not afford when his promise to pay mortgage payments fell through. Now she's in a small apt and doesn't know what next. And the closing was postponed the day before because three buyers down the chain someone's mortgage isn't getting processed.
that it does all go through and soon. Between that trip, my cousin's weird visit, my dad's visit which I'm missing and my brother being all weird I'm feeling pretty overloaded on family. Oh well. Oh also, if y'all could send out
or
toward my sil Carla, she's getting results on a breast biopsy today and for my mil who is just back to her nursing home after an emergency root canal two days ago.

RR: No running since Sunday's race. It was great and felt like a real live race for the first time ever. I will do up my report on my mostly-neglected blog and then post a link for any of you hardcore race report lovers

To all those I didn't get personal with, I undoubtedly was nodding along with mommajb.
:

#403 ·
Plady!

My mammo came back normal, thank the good Lord.

Ashley and Abbey, I will be in Boston/MV the week of July 5-9th. We'll be in Boston the 3rd-5th, then down to MV for the rest of the time. Dh is doing the Foxborough Patriot 10K on the 4th so maybe we can all plan a get together!

I. Need. Lunch.

#404 ·
Ugh, Plady. You sounds like you could use a
with all that family stuff.

Nic ~ Darn, I'll just miss you in Boston. We'll be up there (Portsmouth) July 20-30ish. Glad your mam was clear

Miracle of miracles, DD2 is napping. Not sure what's up with that, but I'll take it since tonight is the Spring Carnival and DS and DD1's school and with DH out of town, I get to corral all 3 kids through the mayhem there.

No FM today, since I spent the morning baking for the bakesale/cake walk at the carnival, but tomorrow I am getting to the Y first thing. Then I want to take the kids to Brown County state park for a hike/pony ride/playground extravaganza!

DH is out of town until Sunday afternoon, but this is his LAST trip out of town for work before he retires at the end of the summer. WOOT!

#405 ·
I only have five minutes before I have to round up the kids and get to work.

Nic--I'd love to get together! I promised a friend I'd run a local race with her on the 4th, and the 5th we've already decided to take the kids to a local amusement park, since it will be our last chance for awhile. DD has surgery on the 6th.

So that kills half of your week up North.
The rest of that week, though, we should be clear. We're going to make sure that DD's anesthesiologist gives her the good drugs that have her happy and bouncing out of bed the same day, instead of the bad puking drugs.
We'll be looking for some serious distractions, since she'll not be allowed to do anything fun that might possibly bump her face or introduce bacteria. Maybe a dingo meetup field trip will be just the thing! As long as she won't scare your kids; she'll have a bandage sewn onto her face to cover her skin graft. We haven't done any skin grafts yet so I'm not sure how shocking it will be.

Let's plan on a meetup and work out details later, okay?

#406 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Plady!

My mammo came back normal, thank the good Lord.

Ashley and Abbey, I will be in Boston/MV the week of July 5-9th. We'll be in Boston the 3rd-5th, then down to MV for the rest of the time. Dh is doing the Foxborough Patriot 10K on the 4th so maybe we can all plan a get together!

I. Need. Lunch.

I'm doing that 10K too! Or planning on it at least, so we can definitely get together.

I've been very absent lately but it's almost the weekend so I'll be back! Volunteering at Boston Monday, sooooo excited!!!

Abbey, not sure I can make it tomorrow but it is tempting. We'll see. Thanks for letting me know

#407 ·
plady~
and

So, I learned today what it feels like to have a camera shoved up your nose. Even with anesthesia? Not the most fun thing ever. And of course, the ENT didn't see anything, although he said there was a part of my sinus he couldn't see. So, I get two weeks of steroids and nasal spray to see if it helps, or next stop: CT scan. I can't wait to see how much the scope costs me, although I'm sure it's way cheaper than a CT.

It's really weird having anesthesia sprayed up your nose, btw. The roof of my mouth behind my two front teeth is numb and I can't feel my nose running until it's dripping.

No fm today, figured my legs could use a break after three runs already this week, and the ENT appt ended up taking almost an hour and a half anyway. I get to go out for a free dinner at a nice restaurant (friend's DH is the manager) and a (not free) movie with girlfriends tonight, so I'm excited. That's TWO nights out this week! Woohoo!

#408 ·
Wow. Just, wow.

Monday I ran in long pants, long sleeves, fleece vest. Forty degrees'ish. Today was bare legs, bare arms, 68, and I came back with a TAN LINE!!!!! Of course, I had several moments of thinking "'I'm too hot!", but it felt so good.

I realized today, just as I hit mile 3, that this was the first time in months that I'd done a run where I hadn't thought once about my leg or my shin or my calf. And after I had that thought, it went away because a really good song came on and I had to sing again.

FM: 4.33 in 44:03, mile 3-4 was off road hills. Otherwise known as heaven. Also played a half hour of full on soccer with C's class, wearing my clunky Keen mary janes. Let's just say that those things weigh a ton, and from now on I wear running shoes on my class day.

Courtney's tryouts for next year starts in a few hours. If you could all send her some dingo-mojo it would be great. She started her period 2 days ago (OF COURSE
) and made me teach her to use a tampon yesterday
. I was so not ready for that, but it was her idea and I can see her point on how 6 hours of soccer this weekend with a pad would be a serious drag. Let me tell you, that was.......interesting. Excuse me now while I go sob in a corner.....

#409 ·
RR: 5 decent miles this morning on the treadmill; I'm hoping for a really nice long run tomorrow morning. Plus buy groceries, and buy and hopefully install a new toilet, and clean dd's room, which is a disaster... I should clearly run first.

Had an interesting and kind of stressful day at work... I gave an invocation at an event where my new boss and the governor were present.
(Which governor I disagree with mightily... but I kept to the task at hand and invoked God very nicely.
) And then it was a couple of hours of discussion on gay marriage in my New Testament class.

I need a weekend!

#410 ·
OMG, what you women have been through.

Plady...that's a lot of
Consider them sent in all directions.

JayGee, I'm still not sure what a cakewalk is. Need to go Google that...

memiles, I actually saw that tampon thing in my mind as I read, between me and dd. Not ready.

La4, good luck to you and dd.

Me? My day was...well, some might say a cakewalk.
Very good elliptical workout, weights, abs, whirlpool, sauna, then Friday prayers, ds had a friend over after school, then dinner at dh's boss, and I do believe dh may have learned a boundary setting lesson with some friends today.

I have the credit card in my possession. All is OK.

#412 ·
Ugh. Courtney had what I think was a panic attack at tryouts today. She's SO not that kid and has never had trouble breathing before.

And we do it again tomorrow unless the phone rings tonight. Good times. I'm hoping it was a fluke and tomorrow will be much, much better.

#413 ·
memiles ~ any chance it could be asthma or a pollen allergy? My DD2 has been having horrendous asthma attacks all week due to the high pollen count. Sorry it didn't go well for her
. Oh, and I vividly remember my own mother teaching me how to put in a tampon when I got my period the day of a swim meet. Mortifying. Not ready for that either.

Penelope ~ hope your Friday night was nice and relaxing after your day. Gin, anyone
?!

jooj ~ Glad you had such a pleasant day yesterday. And a cakewalk is like musical chairs, but if your chair number is called when you sit down, you get to pick a cake off a table with about 300 cakes on it. Total game of chance.

That said, my family seems to be cursed with my bad luck when it comes to games of chance. We managed to win a 2 liter bottle of pop last night. That's it. And I spent $28 in tickets, plus another $20 in raffle tickets. Jacob was so bummed that we didn't win anything, especially since one of his friends won a motorized scooter in the raffle. Still, everyone had a really good time and they all did a good job of staying with me and not running off with their friends.

We're going to the Y this morning so I can do the elliptical and then packing a picnic and driving to the state park for a hike and hopefully some pony rides for the girls. DH comes home tomorrow. Yay!

#414 ·
Happy Saturday ladies! Saturday stinks on some level in my home because my dh is gone teaching 3 hours from home. It sucks for him that he has to leave at 5am, but I'm glad he's home for dinner.

I had a super nice chat yesterday with Wendy. I know you all are just green with envy. It made my day. If only we could chat when one of us wasn't up against it work-wise.....but then I'd have to be a talk on the phone kind of girl and I'm not.

Then last night was science night. (I'm a science instructor remember) the college students put on this deal for kids. My own kids LOVE it, but I hate the chaos, I hate that it is on a friday night when I've had a busy week, and I hate that the people assigned to figure out the geology never do it. I could also complain about the fact that I'm the PT temporary person and the FT tenured prof doesn't do squat. But....back to it being a lovely saturday.

I have to write two letters of application, write a lecture, write a job talk lecture and grocery shop today, on top of run 5 miles.
Somehow it will all happen.

I dreamed last night that I road tripped to visit Dana (perhaps I have Jenlove envy, perhaps we just want to wear the sandals she sent my dd...). Two days ago I was out west at Plady's house. Ladies: Team R-C might come calling at sometime soon (given that each is about 2 days driving, probably not any time this week,
).

off to apply....may my children stay re-asleep. May my dog remain vomit free, may saturday morning cartoons suffice so i can get this stuff in the mail.

#416 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
kerc, we're going on watch tomorrow night for a JenLove sighting! Only 5 hours of driving for you to get here...Just sayin.

I would be *so* there. Except I learned Thursday afternoon of a job interview on Tuesday that lasts from ~8am to 7pm. However, I see us visiting that part of the country this summer, particularly if I'm underemployed.
--->
<---- from Erin.

#417 ·
Kerc ~ congrats on the all-day interview!!!

jo ~ I was talking with DH a few days ago and your lovely state is at the top of our "places for a family trip" this summer. I'll keep you posted
. Have a great visit with Jennie!!!!!

#418 ·
Oooh, Kerc!! Good luck on that interview!

I'm hopelessly behind, so this will be very short on personals. Just know that I'm sending love and support to all of you!

I am going to get a massage today! I'm hoping it will put to rest the last of this shin thing. I'm sick of it, and want a run!!! Ok, on that note, I just realized, I need to shave before said massage!

#419 ·
I'm finally ready to run! Garmin out of battery.
So I'm in my clothes, all ready to go, hoping that 10 minutes of charge will get me through a 12m run. So wish I'd thought of this an hour ago, but no.

At least it's a cool, sunny morning, so I'm not burning the only good running time.

#420 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
memiles, I actually saw that tampon thing in my mind as I read, between me and dd. Not ready.

Yeah but better than not showing her, I ran out of supplies one weekend when my mom was out of town and didn't want to ask my dad to run to the store for me so I tried to figure it out on my own with the instructions that come with them... I didn't know what "pushing a plunger flush" meant and ended up walking around with the applicator being very uncomfortable for an hour or so. I was always partial to OB after that

Kerc - Anytime!

Penelope - Have a good run, with or without the battery!

#421 ·
RR: wah.

The Garmin held up through about 7.5m, and the run generally was pretty good for about 10m, and then I totally crashed. I forgot about bringing a gel or some candy or something (
) and just ran out of steam. So I walked the last 2m.

The upside: I totally will have a better long run between now and my half; I'll stock back up on gels and stuff; I did finish it out (of course, the alternative was finding a new family to live with at the point where I stopped walking back toward my house.)

And my various leg/knee/whatever bits all held up.

#423 ·
Oh, and meant to add, JayGee, kerc, and all yall are totally welcome to visit, should you make it to my lovely state...and if you can't make the farm, let me know where you'll be and maybe we can do a meetup.

Got my much-needed bee supplies. Going to do some bee work tomorrow.

#424 ·
If *someone* asks me again to go up to the attic and get her sandals I just might loose it. How many times does one have to tell a 4.5 yr old that you don't have any sandals (other than keens) in her size.

3.5 miles on the treadmill with no ipod. It was a looooong 3.5 miles. Long. But done, eh?

Now I'm crankypants and dealing with 2 tired kids, one of whom is out playing with the 10 yr old neighbor girl. Err, not really playing with. More like the big girls are on the scene, changing up the dynamic of the play, not for the better.

#425 ·
Off to tryouts, day two. This time I'm packing rescue remedy, some Gu and some sports beans since they have magical powers

Go, Courtney, GO!

#426 ·
memiles ~ good luck with the soccer tryouts today!

Kerc ~ what is it about the attic??? I was just up in mine fetching stuff they "had" to have (ie. ancient scooter, etc.) Glad you got your run in.

Penelope ~ glad you got YOUR run in too! Even if it was cut short by lack of tunes/energy.

I ended up having a GREAT day with my kids. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, some weights, and 20 more minutes on the TM with huge incline this morning. The annual spring 5K/10K was this morning and I felt a pang of jealousy watching all my friends run
. This is the first YMCA spring race I've missed since we've lived here. This afternoon we packed a picnic and drove out to Brown County SP (the BEST SP in all of Indiana and only 20 minutes from my house
). The girls rode ponies, we explored several playground areas and finally hiked a 1.2 mile loop around the lake there. We found so many cool wildflowers, ferns, and the best beaver dam! My kids were rockstars on the hike ~ no complaints, no "carry me's", no issues at all
! I am SO glad my kids love this kind of outdoor stuff because it was a huge part of my relationship with DH before we had children and we're champing at the bit to get back out there when the kids are old enough. Looks like they're just about there
!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.