Support for those who overeat... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 61 Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if there is already a thread about this here. I did a search and did not come up with anything

Are there any other compulsive overeaters around? I could really use some support. The OA group in my area folded and I have never been able to get any of the OA chat sessions to work on my computer.

I struggle every day. Anyone else?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#2 of 61 Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 AM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, struggle with disordered eating, ranging from anorexia to binge eating (overeating) and purging, so some bulimic issues.

I haven't purged in a long time but swing from anorexic behavior to binging or overeating.

The primal lifestyle http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

has really helped with the binging. As long as I stay away from sugar I do really well, because it's a lot harder to mindlessly eat and overeat on foods that are fat and protein heavy.

Other things I do when feeling bingy:

Eat VERY slowly and mindfully. Even if in between each bite I have to say

something like, "this food is nourishing my body." to keep myself present. I drink a lot of water inbetween bites.

I don't keep easy to eat food in the house. So, if I'm craving something sweet, I have to make something. Some days that's enough to deter me, but if not, I still have to gather up all of the supplies, make the treat, let it cool and by that time I'm somehow calmed and lulled by the process, and eat much less than I would have if I'd just started shovelling. It really works for me. Even something as simple as sauteing pecans in butter and vanilla and a drizzle of maple syrup takes time, and the aromas and process really seem to do something...

Take a bath. I like taking a bath because then I look in the mirror and remind myself why I'm working so hard.

And finally, be kind to yourself.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#3 of 61 Old 04-26-2010, 03:26 PM
 
ellairiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back Where It All Began...Frankford Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmmmm...i have been struggling with my relationship with food for years & most recently trying to define it...is it emotional eating, boredom eating or actually compulsive eating????

I think maybe it could be all of the above-or has been one of each at different stages of my life. But one thing I know for sure is that food in my family & friendships is the focus of celebrating, socializing etc. I want it to be more about survival for me, fuel for my body, but don't know how to break out of the thinking that it is something more.

In my 20's I gained 80 lbs or so...I was a partier...drinking, smoking pot & eating late at night. But even when I did try & be good, losing weight was very difficult. By 29, a Dr identified PCOS/Insulin Res & I changed my lifestyle, started metformin & lost it all & more. So my early 30's were amazing-I felt great, looked good & most importantly felt soooo in control.

I met DH & gained 10 lbs or so just because of dating & relaxing a little about what I ate. But then I got pregnant w/ DD1 & have had an impossible time of getting back in control while being a sahm. But I want to get back to that place again soooo bad-I have 40 lbs to lose to get there, 30 lbs would be "ok" though. Losing it is half the battle-maintaining it-the other half.

Anyway-thx for posting this. I would love to hear more advice, ideas & techniques...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
ellairiesmom is offline  
#4 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 AM
 
babygrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 7,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm there. Thankfully I haven't purged in a couple of years....but I still overeat on a daily basis for the most part. Quite often I overeat to the point that I feel physically ill. No advice sinc ei Havne't conquored it yet....but I will someday!!
babygrant is offline  
#5 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
 
texmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
me, me me... want to come back and write more later.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

texmati is offline  
#6 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM
 
JayGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southwest Illinois
Posts: 4,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup. I've been bingeing on and off since I was 18. I'm now 42. I want it to end.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
JayGee is offline  
#7 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
 
nj's_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me.

Depending on the weather- my mood- my living situation- it can be manageable or out of control- but at least 50% of the time, I'm headlong into a binge of sugary carbs. And then the fog that follows- and the "plan" to make up for it.

Sometime's it's scary how little control I have.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
nj's_mom is offline  
#8 of 61 Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I could find a way to control it. Even for a short time would be nice!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#9 of 61 Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 AM
 
ithappened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking for some online support of OA for my sister. . has anyone found chat rooms or support forums?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

ithappened is offline  
#10 of 61 Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
 
melanyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: dallas, texas
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
me. no purging, just binging -- right now, in fact.
melanyh is offline  
#11 of 61 Old 05-08-2010, 02:04 AM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanyh View Post
me. no purging, just binging -- right now, in fact.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#12 of 61 Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 PM
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey we can help each other. I know I need the support.
I started overeatng when I was 9 years old and was being molested by my step father. That stopped when I was 14, but the overeating hasn't. I cannot believe I just shared that info, but it's when I remember as my downfall. I am trying to be more in tune with what goes into my body and why I am eating. I never heard of a OA meeting until someone said they had a friend who went to one here. I would love to make it to a meeting, but for now I will work it out on my own.

I have been definitely improving in my choices. I will keep checking here to see how to help myself and everyone else.

Take Care Bunnyflakes, I'm with you
Happiestever is offline  
#13 of 61 Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 PM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too am a survivor of sexual abuse.

Apparently many eating disorders stem from abuse.


I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#14 of 61 Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
 
treeoflife3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tennessee/kentucky
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a food addict. It is extremely frustrating. I've been actively trying to change it for a few months now but some hard stuff has come up for me to deal with AND I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism so I just keep eating and keep gaining. Its like the harder I try to get better, the worse it gets.
treeoflife3 is offline  
#15 of 61 Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only thing that has EVER helped me with binge eating is wellbutrin. I know it's not marketed for that, and I didn't start taking it for that reason (I needed an anti-depressant that didn't kill my sex drive), but it has really worked. I would guess it works similarly to the way it helps people quit smoking. . .and I don't know exactly how that works either . Anyhow, I've lost 60 lbs since I started taking it in September, and it's due in a large part to pretty much eliminating my binge eating. I can't remember the last time I binged.

I'm also a sexual abuse/assault survivor, and I have no doubt there's a connection for me.
eclipse is offline  
#16 of 61 Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
 
ps4624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the land of no sleep
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in the middle of a 2 week binge right now that is out of control. I know what's causing it - anxiety and fear of an upcoming event but I don't know how to stop it. I feel sick and guilty, I don't even want to eat the stuff I'm eating and I'm causing damage to myself and my nursling. It's awful.
ps4624 is offline  
#17 of 61 Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
 
nj's_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. Middle of a binge myself. I won't say what it's consisted of. Disgusting.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
nj's_mom is offline  
#18 of 61 Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
 
JayGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southwest Illinois
Posts: 4,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished reading Geneen Roth's Women Food and God and WOW! She will be on Oprah this afternoon and even though I NEVER watch Oprah, I'm definitely tuning in today. The book was amazing and insightful and really speaks to the reason we use food to numb ourselves. We can heal. I am sure of it .

I'm happy to say that I did not binge yesterday. I've been dividing the day into 4 6 hour segments and seeing if I can be binge free for a 6 hour time frame. It's not as daunting as being binge free for an entire 24 hours, and the time I'm sleeping (and not eating) is like free success! Mind games, but if it works.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
JayGee is offline  
#19 of 61 Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
 
ellairiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back Where It All Began...Frankford Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
watching oprah now here...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
ellairiesmom is offline  
#20 of 61 Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
 
texmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
s: I'm so sorry for all of you who have survived abuse.

I missed the oprah, but it sounds interesting.

I eat when I'm stressed. way more than I should, and it has to be junk. I even know I"m doing it, but in the moment, it feels like a choice between eating, and something worse, crying all night, loosing control, or even worse. I always feel better after eating-- like chatting with an old friend.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

texmati is offline  
#21 of 61 Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 AM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like detoxing off sugar has helped to free me from the binge.

Now a splurge is three squares of super dark chocolate, or a smoothie, or berries in cream.

BUT, when I'm upset or something triggers me sometimes I still go into shovel mode. Ugh. At least now I don't bored binge, and my binges are not followed by a purge. I'm healing.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#22 of 61 Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been analyzing my eating habits as of late and they aren't too horrible, at least not on a daily basis. I think that when I crave sweets I tend to go overboard. I have been trying to substitute different things- fruits, nuts, veggies- and it works to a certain extent. Don't you ever feel like only chocolate will do? I wonder how to get over this feeling. I would love to stay away from chocolate like I stay away from cheese. If only life were that simple. Anyone have any tips? Can I train my body to feel disgusted when I see sweets?
Happiestever is offline  
#23 of 61 Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 PM
 
ithappened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard taking Magnesium suppliments can help a lot when you have sugar cravings. . I found this article really helpful. . .

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

ithappened is offline  
#24 of 61 Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the link. Of to Henry's aaagainnn.
Happiestever is offline  
#25 of 61 Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
I have been analyzing my eating habits as of late and they aren't too horrible, at least not on a daily basis. I think that when I crave sweets I tend to go overboard. I have been trying to substitute different things- fruits, nuts, veggies- and it works to a certain extent. Don't you ever feel like only chocolate will do? I wonder how to get over this feeling. I would love to stay away from chocolate like I stay away from cheese. If only life were that simple. Anyone have any tips? Can I train my body to feel disgusted when I see sweets?
Eat really dark chocolate. It's a bit bitter at first, but I can't binge on it. 3 or 4 squares and I'm toast. No more chocolate craving. Start with 70% and work your way up!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#26 of 61 Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM
 
ithappened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the EU and probably US now, I buy Lindt 99% chocolate.. I find I need 3-4 squares usually to curb a chocolate binge/craving. I also found its helpful not to keep ice cream or whatever your binge food may be in the house- at all- so if I really want an ice cream- I have go to the ice cream store- order a scoop (or 2), eat it, and then leave

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

ithappened is offline  
#27 of 61 Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanyh View Post
me. no purging, just binging -- right now, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
Hey we can help each other. I know I need the support.
I started overeatng when I was 9 years old and was being molested by my step father. That stopped when I was 14, but the overeating hasn't. I cannot believe I just shared that info, but it's when I remember as my downfall. I am trying to be more in tune with what goes into my body and why I am eating. I never heard of a OA meeting until someone said they had a friend who went to one here. I would love to make it to a meeting, but for now I will work it out on my own.

I have been definitely improving in my choices. I will keep checking here to see how to help myself and everyone else.

Take Care Bunnyflakes, I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I too am a survivor of sexual abuse.

Apparently many eating disorders stem from abuse.

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
The only thing that has EVER helped me with binge eating is wellbutrin. I know it's not marketed for that, and I didn't start taking it for that reason (I needed an anti-depressant that didn't kill my sex drive), but it has really worked. I would guess it works similarly to the way it helps people quit smoking. . .and I don't know exactly how that works either . Anyhow, I've lost 60 lbs since I started taking it in September, and it's due in a large part to pretty much eliminating my binge eating. I can't remember the last time I binged.

I'm also a sexual abuse/assault survivor, and I have no doubt there's a connection for me.
Interesting! I have never heard of that helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps4624 View Post
I am in the middle of a 2 week binge right now that is out of control. I know what's causing it - anxiety and fear of an upcoming event but I don't know how to stop it. I feel sick and guilty, I don't even want to eat the stuff I'm eating and I'm causing damage to myself and my nursling. It's awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post
Yep. Middle of a binge myself. I won't say what it's consisted of. Disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I just finished reading Geneen Roth's Women Food and God and WOW! She will be on Oprah this afternoon and even though I NEVER watch Oprah, I'm definitely tuning in today. The book was amazing and insightful and really speaks to the reason we use food to numb ourselves. We can heal. I am sure of it .

I'm happy to say that I did not binge yesterday. I've been dividing the day into 4 6 hour segments and seeing if I can be binge free for a 6 hour time frame. It's not as daunting as being binge free for an entire 24 hours, and the time I'm sleeping (and not eating) is like free success! Mind games, but if it works.....
I am reading that now! I don't watch much TV so I missed the Oprah show. She has a lot of interesting things to say and it seems so in tune with how I feel/think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
s: I'm so sorry for all of you who have survived abuse.

I missed the oprah, but it sounds interesting.

I eat when I'm stressed. way more than I should, and it has to be junk. I even know I"m doing it, but in the moment, it feels like a choice between eating, and something worse, crying all night, loosing control, or even worse. I always feel better after eating-- like chatting with an old friend.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I feel like detoxing off sugar has helped to free me from the binge.

Now a splurge is three squares of super dark chocolate, or a smoothie, or berries in cream.

BUT, when I'm upset or something triggers me sometimes I still go into shovel mode. Ugh. At least now I don't bored binge, and my binges are not followed by a purge. I'm healing.


I had no idea so many people here struggled. I was very surprised to see this thread take off. I need daily help and support.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#28 of 61 Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Happiestever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a lot of us our trying to be more conscious of what we put into our bodies, no only to be greener or what have you, but kinder to ourselves. Yesterday was not a great day for me. But today is another day so time to move on. I think we all need a big hug for dealing with our issues (whatever they may be). Group hug~~~! I hope today is a great day for everyone.
Happiestever is offline  
#29 of 61 Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 PM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Realizing that I wasn't ruining anything and that I could start fresh the next meal or next day has really helped me. It's helped me not to fall into a sort of depressed fog where I stop caring for a while. Instead I focus on all of the days I have done well and know that I haven't undone that by today's actions.

My biggest trigger lately? The scale. If I see a number I don't like, even higher by just a couple of ounces, I have this insane desire to binge.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#30 of 61 Old 05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
 
ithappened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
My biggest trigger lately? The scale. If I see a number I don't like, even higher by just a couple of ounces, I have this insane desire to binge


on top of that, I am really lonely these days. I miss my family and friends.. . my DH is so wrapped up in his work, I feel invisible and drowning in diapers most days.. that only triggers the binges because food feels like the only thing I have left to comfort me. .

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

ithappened is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off