Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Bec, I am so sorry. I'm glad you have swimming, but I know how awful it can feel not to be able to do the thing you really love.

Nemesis, a doggy!!!

Mel, I think 8 press ups is pretty darn good! Glad that the knee is feeling better, too.

Honstly Mommajb, it sounds like complete overwhelm, and when I am in that cycle I find it almost impossible to get out of it without major deliberation. I do a lot of visualization of how I want the next day to be like, especially the first hour. I find it hard to reset once the day is underway, but the break of sleep usually helps, along with the visual imagery. I am so sorry, though. you have SO much to manage.

Thank you for all the comments re: friend. It is very difficult because I am not certain whether she did it or not, but she asked us to believe in her and, as a friend, I think that's my job. Lots of weird stuff is coming out now, and whatever happened, I don't think that justice has been served.

But, it's my birthday today and we are off to England tonight. I have yet to pack, the house is a nightmare, I have yet to submit my grades, and on and on!

Hopefully I'll be back to this thread more regularly once the craziness has become less crazy.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#302 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM

Alex!

for your busy day
Maybe one of these for the plane ride
And lots of this while you are visiting home

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#303 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM

Happy Birthday Zubeldia, and safe travels! I hope you get the chance to see everyone you have been missing.

mandy, I'd meant to congratulate you on your student loan freedom. My short-term memory goes by mid-PM when I solo parent more than a couple days, so I am flaky on personals.

I do a similar thing to Zub when I have the bad days. I basically write off the day, but if I can visualize and make a vague plan for the next day, I can get a grip early, before anyone can wake up and sabotage my plans. Today, for example, I am going to get the kids' smoothie made and lunches packed so I can be in the barn before 7 and get out of here to work out before 830. It's raining, again , so I'll be with the crowd in the cardio studio, but whatever.

The manure "workout" was all back, abs and upper body, and my shoulders are--wow--sore. So it's all up to the legs today.
#304 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 AM
bec

Thanks for the sympathy, Dingos. I was awoken before 5 this morning to DH asking me to help him bail water out of our sunken patio (what idiot thought of that idea!), only to have me tell him I can't (shouldn't) do that with a broken leg. He was, to his credit, understanding about that and agreed I should do something else to help stem the flood waters. That turned out to be mostly standing around watching him bail water.

Zub - Happy Birthday!!!!!! I hope you have a great trip.

Nemesis - Happy dog! I hope he settles in nicely! I have a poker collar to prevent my dog from pulling (he doesn't really need it now, but when we first got him, he'd yank our arms from our shoulders)!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#305 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM

bec, what's a poker collar?

This morning's walk was like a whole new dog was with me! He still pulled a little, but about 85% of our walk was side-by-side and even the short running portion went well! He loves to run!!

So far: He's afraid of the cats, loves the smells of peaut butter and fresh ground coffee, and wants to sleep right next to me all night (on the floor, probably to keep safe from the cats!).

I hope DH is feeling less stressed out and more understanding today. He's a puppy, but man he's learning so fast! We have an unusual evening at the museum for some of DH's art ( ) and I'm not sure how we'll handle that with the dog. Ideas? I was thinking crate in the car and trying to walk him every 30-45 minutes to make sure he's good.
#306 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM

bec, and more for the stress fracture. I hope you can let it heal and that it does so quickly. Enjoy the pool this summer - you're going to have awesome shoulders and back by the time you are cleared to run.

Alex! Have safe travels and a relaxing brek if that is at all possible on this trip.

nemesis, it sounds like your dog is quickly becoming a part of the family and learning that you are the one he needs to love. Does he have a name yet?

mandy, on the student loan payoff!

mel,I think 8 push ups is great, especially if you are doing multiple sets!

I got up and ran (slow and short) today so that is a much better start. I ate well yesterday. What will happen will happen as far as kiddos and their lives go. I hate joining the throngs fighting for an appropriate education for my off spring. I really do get easily frustrated. Dh isn't helping; he is my rock and he is crumbling.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#307 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
bec

This is the kind of Pinch collar we have for our dog. The tines point in. It looks painful, but he seems pretty comfortable, unless he pulls, in which case, it's like a poke (not a prick with something sharp, more like a finger poking at him). He has been known (in his early days) to take off at a dead sprint, and I imagine that can not feel great as he gets to the end of his leash, but he did learn quickly. I'm afraid I'm not really AP when it comes to my dog.

#308 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Ok. I've seen those on a few really big dogs. I think he is getting it, but if he doesn't figure it out I will look into one of those. He is really strong, and will only get stronger.. so I'd like to have walking figured out ASAP.

So far, he is really doing better. (and I totally googled the dog whisperer and have been using his method of stopping and calming him down before continuing, and stepping in front of him to make sure he's not ahead)
#309 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Alex - ! Have a great trip! I hope time slows down when you get there.

Nemesis - I used one of those on our dalmatian too and it didn't bother him but it did rein in the otherwise-incessant pulling. The one drawback is that on a pitbull it may look scary to other people. WHat about using a haltie? One of those head collars that snugs around their snoot? I've heard that pitbulls have gotten a bad rap too from psycho breeders that are messing up the gene pool. Yours sounds like a sweetheart though

Mandy - and and ! That's terrific!

Mommajb - Sounds like it's time for you to delegate out anything you possibly can, if that means some sub standard schooling for a while, nobody's going to die, and they aren't going to become stupid either. Same goes for whatever else they might have to do differently so you can breathe.

I did my 100s for sit-ups and pushups yesterday and I did a bunch of squats and lunges but not necessarily all 100 in tkd last night. But we did do a good interval workout that really hit every part. We were all dripping sweat and gasping for breath by the end so I don't feel like I shirked at all. Today I should run but as it's officially dh's b'day I may just spend my running time working on the floor. He planed off the gym floor finish and installed the flooring into the living room and then filled in all the gaps with wood putty. But then the putty didn't come off as well as he'd expected when he had the big sander so now we're scraping off the dried putty with a chisel. It will look gorgeous and last for 100 years when we're done but at the moment it is just a lot of work.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#310 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
bec

Caesar Milan is my hero. And soooo dreamy!

#311 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM

healing to Bec.

Zub.

Nemesis congrats and good luck with the new puppy.

Skipped my run yesterday and now it is pouring--I still hope to get out.

We are still in jobless limbo--waiting to hear. It is Killing me.

Good Day to all.
#312 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Nemesis, we've used the same type of collar as Bec. I actually put it on my arm and yanked before I would use it on my dog. It doesn't feel like it looks, and it is effective. However, another option to try would be a Gentle Leader. It puts pressure on their muzzle which is supposed to make them cooperate, kind of like a horse.

Bec, so sorry about the diagnosis, and I hope the time passes quickly.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#313 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
However, another option to try would be a Gentle Leader. It puts pressure on their muzzle which is supposed to make them cooperate, kind of like a horse.
Hi! I was going to suggest the same thing. The Gentle Leader is so effective! And maybe a little AP?!

Last night was my last night of boot camp and we did a workout in a parking garage - lots of running up 8 stories by the ramp and the stairs. Plus tons of sprints on the top deck. One of my hardest workouts ever! I am sad it is over for now so back to my own workouts. Time to get serious about running again!!
#314 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM

JenD ~ now THAT sounds like a real workout!

Nemesis ~ your doggy sounds so sweet. I'm glad he's doing well under your training. What did you name him?

mommajb ~ remember, not perfect, just amazing

Zub ~ ! Enjoy your trip .

Mel ~ to answer your question, 1000m takes me around 25 minutes or so. I did my 3000m this morning ! 2000m freestyle, 500m kicking, and 500m breaststroke to switch things up a little. My 100m times are getting shorter. My best 100m free today was 1:47. Not exactly Michael Phelps , but good for me ! Only 1500m more to meet my 10,000m goal for the week . And as a bonus, I'm actually starting to enjoy swimming .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#315 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Hmm.. I'll keep all of those suggestions in mind if we need them. Thank you!!

We named him Myles.

For those that haven't seen this on facebook:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1335/...8acbc15613.jpg
#316 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM

modmom: Sorry to hear you still don't know. The waiting is the hardest part.

Another gentle leader fan here. My husband will ONLY walk our golden retriever on a gentle leader.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#317 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM

I'm halfway done with my hundreds today, but as V is taking her first nap of the day (after a teething hurting meltdown) this mama is not spending naptime busting out the other sets. I'm sitting down with some coffee and my Dingos!

{I've been keeping up with them too... even if I do them at night before bed.}

Zubs ~ Happy Birthday!!!! Safe travels and have fun! I am holding you and your friend in my thoughts too.

Bec ~

Nemesis ~ Congrats on Myles! He's a handsome pup!

I'm reading along!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#318 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Zub--Happy Birthday! Have a lovely, very relaxing trip home. I'm thinking of your friend and hoping for the best possible result of her very bad situation. You are a good friend to stick by her and believe in her.

Bec--I'm so sorry about the diagnosis! I hope that some time in the boot will completely heal you and you'll be back faster than ever.

Nemesis--Cute puppy! My kids keep begging me for a dog, but I'm still steadily refusing. I'm just not at all a dog owner, although our neighbor has a puppy (a chocolate lab, maybe?) that runs to their fence and licks our fingers on our way to and from the bus stop every day. That's enough dog interaction for me.

Gaye--Ah, now I remember one of the reasons we decided not to move to Colorado when the opportunity presented itself a few years ago. Snow? Really? Eek!

I've been reading too late at night, so then I can't wake up in the mornings to run. A flimsy excuse, but there it is. I have been doing my hundreds, though, every day for the past four days. The push-ups are getting a bit easier, although I still mostly hate them.

Maybe tonight when DH gets home I'll run.

Once a week my mom makes the 1.5-hour drive with my grandmother to visit with me and the kids. Today she showed up with her car trunk full of plants. Our yard is hopeless and I'm so overwhelmed, and my parents are the most amazing gardeners. She brought enough plants to fill the gardens in the front of the house on each side of the porch stairs, plus the side garden. She brought potting soil and a pitchfork and got the gardens torn up and remixed and planted. She was concerned that she was "taking over" and overstepping herself. I can't even tell you how joyously happy it makes me to have things growing in those gardens. Things that an expert (my mom) said will probably grow with the amount of sunlight, things I didn't have to stand in a gardening store agonizing over or paying for. I don't know if my mom even understands how much this means to me, although I told her a lot.

She also said that my dad wants to pick a Saturday when the two of them can both come and just do yardwork with us. And they are going to buy us a lawnmower before the weeds eat our house. Ah, such a day.

Anyway, must get DD dressed for ballet. The end of the season is near....
#319 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM

hi mommas, soooo sorry to have missed out on about 2 weeks of your lives!!! i'm really looking forward to catching up soon!!! i'm going to print everything for may and then read it later. thanks for the emails and phone calls, jooj & plady! everything is great. just too busy to think. but not too busy to run! i'm managing two runs a week, about 3-4 yogas a week, and about 1 taekwondo a week. the only reason i'm getting to actually run is that the track is a half-mile away from my son's games and he has to be there about 45 min early - and if dh can meet me then i get to run! okay, off to print now and then off to two baseball games tonight. (we've had lots of company lots of ball, taekwondo testing, and violin recitals are this weekend. oh and dh has had to be out of town a lot lately!) i imagine you are all super busy with end-of-school-year stuff, too. i hope you are all well and i look forward to catching up.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#320 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Zub, hope your day is wonderful and your flight is smooth. I'll be thinking of you and sending lots of good wishes.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#321 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Bec.

I have a dilemma but don't want to post it here. Will post in the other arena. Thanks.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#322 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM

My holistic self is crying for help.

I ran 6mi this AM, on the TM, pretty fast overall but with walk breaks. Actually, I completed 5.8 before I got a stitch so bad I really had to walk. So I walked to 6.3 or some such. But before I could do that, I discovered ds had gone to school without his bottom expander, so I stopped in to drop it off, only to have a totally unnerving convo with his teacher. He has basically just decided not to do homework--hasn't brought much home, tells me he doesn't have any more, and then tells teacher he forgot. As a result, he had a test he never studied for, late assignments, behind on reading, everything. Ugh. And I can't bother dh with this because 1) his response will just add to the stress and 2) he can't do anything about it.

So we have a plan that involves a lot of direct supervision on both ends and the chance to "earn back" good graces with extra work. I just wish he had some internal motivation.

So I ran maybe a little too fast (a couple miles under 9:00, the rest ranging between 9:15 and 9:30), then did all my usual weights and abs before going to work.

There, I am having a little bit of a challenge. Nothing too terrible, and I am OK with it and sure it will all work out fine, but in the day-to-day, I am tired and irritable and curmudgeonly.

And I took a chunk out of a finger on a screw in the barn, and it hurts and is taking forever to heal, and another nail base on the same hand feels infected.

And I have lost 20 pounds. Just 10 more to get to goal. Again. *sigh*

Leftovers for dinner tonight, raining outside so no garden work, just the barn basics and the homework and my own work. And with the whole 24/7 thing, I'd as soon not have a weekend at all. I am schmegged.
#323 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Jo! 20 pounds!!!! That's amazing! Sorry about ds, how long has it been going on?

Modmom - I've really got my for you, it feels like it's close!

So as I was headed into the gym to drop my stuff before my run this morning some muscle in my butt started to spasm. Thankfully they had a foam roller (inexplicably kept in the office) so I did that for about 30 minutes before I ran. The run itself was short and felt uninspiring but I was listening to Car Talk and I kept laughing out loud and snorting because it was so funny. (It was, I didn't just think so) SO that was good. And it is the kind of day that makes you weep with joy for the beauty of Spring. So why am I inside? Hmmm. Back out I go. Oh I know, I was fussing around outside the back door with the dog's kennel and the chickens were clearly hot to try it out as a nesting spot so I thought I'd leave them to it for a bit and see if they'll lay eggs even closer to home.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#324 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks Plady and others. Kerc is right the waiting is the hardest part-hey wasn't that a song.

Jo way to go on the weight loss.

Cute dog--I've always been one of those why would you get a pit bull they'll eat your baby types but I have heard the contrary that they can be great family pets--and very cute.
#325 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM

The only pit bull I've ever met and petted was one who had lost one of his front legs to bone cancer. He was also one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. I think pit bulls get a bad name from bad owners.

DD just told me that she got a time out today because she was loud during indoor playtime. Apparently recess has been reduced to indoor playtime where the kids are supposed to whisper because the teacher is doing some type of one-on-one testing with students. Grrr. I don't think it's fair to expect kindergarteners to get through a whole day with nothing more than indoor playtime at a whisper. Especially during the squirrely last weeks of school.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#326 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
bec

Eks, that's crazy! Indoor "recess" here means parking the kids in front of a video. I'm sure that is great for getting their energy out.

Nemesis - Those are some winning ears on that dog!

Jo - You are my weight loss hero!

Modmom - I hope you get a good answer on the job front soon!

So, DD2 had her kindergarten choir concert last night. I was totally underwhelmed. It consisted of less than 10 minutes of singing, and the singing really didn't consist of songs. More like refrains. They sang a part of "Let's Fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins, but all they sang was, "Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height. Let's go fly a kite." In what world is that a song? They sang rain, rain, go away. So totally underestimating what kids can do. When Katie was in Kindy (different principal, different music teacher), they did an amazing program that lasted about 45 minutes, and had a blues song, a classical song, a folk song, and Take Me Out To The Ballgame! Oh, and an Elvis song. It was amazing, the kids did great, and it was fun. I wasn't expecting that, but I was expecting, you know, some actual songs! Needless to say, I was disappointed, but Emily was so proud of herself, and I am totally proud of her, just disappointed with the teaching. If I didn't have such bigger fish to fry, I would be tempted to say something.

#327 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM

bec- that's too bad.

Jo- Wow, 20lbs! Way to go!

eks- Ugh. Even in the rain, snow, cold, wind, etc.. my kids have to get outside at least twice a day or they drive me (and each other) up a wall. I'm one to talk! I have to get outside and run/walk even in the coldest weather to keep my spirits up.

modmom- I hope the time passes quickly. It is so hard to wait for news.

Nic- I hope everything is ok.

We took Myles with to the store today and then to the museum where some of Dh's art is showing (and selling!). I put his crate in the car for now until we get the bars that separate the back part from the seats (??) and he did ok. No barking while we were out, I sneaked up on him a few times to check and then walked him a few times.

I'm so tired. I'm officially done with my sugar detox. I had the best glass of wine ever!
#328 of 690 Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 PM

bec~ Sorry for the bad news about the boot. That just sucks. But maybe this is an opportunity in disguise? Your chance to really get some butt kicking core and upper body work done?

nemesis~I use a Gentle Leader as well and really like it. Baxter still goes nuts when he sees other dogs, but he's much easier to control (well, that and he's all of 16 pounds ) when he's on the GL than on the regular leash.

jaygee~I'm so glad to see your swim times and realize I'm not that much slower than you! I've been getting really discouraged lately with how slow my swim is (kick-a$$ friend Sonja just did her oly swim last weekend in 21 minutes...and she's "not a good swimmer" At this point, that's probably less than half of what it would take me). And I'm discouraged that no matter how hard I try or how much time I spend in the pool, I don't seem to get any faster. I think part of my problem is that I've been friended by all these much-faster people on dailymile, so I'm starting to think that's the norm!

lala~Yes, we do get snow in May on occasion, but we also get summer-like weather in the dead of winter and 300+ days of sunshine a year. Add in the lack of humidity and (even better) the lack of bugs, and you couldn't pay me to move back to the midwest or east coast!

eks~Ok, indoor recess is bad enough, but indoor recess where they have to whisper? And get in trouble if they don't? That is just NOT ok, in my opinion! The only time we ever did indoor recess was for bad weather and we went to the gym where we could run and yell all we wanted. The more I hear, the more I get depressed about the future of education.

It's been a decent day in these parts. DS and I were both pretty tired this morning, so I turned on Nick jr and we snuggled on the couch for two hours. I had planned to go run, but those darn lunges at track yesterday killed me and I could barely walk when I got out of bed this morning! No joke, and my legs/butt are STILL killing me! Apparently, these are something I should be doing MUCH more often.

Instead, I dropped DS at preschool and headed to the Y, where I swam 2500 yds, slowly (it took me about 1:07, I think). I'm taking comfort in the fact that all of my tri swims this year should be in a wetsuit and it really does speed you up a bit. Then, as a reward for eating pretty well the past few days and getting a killer swim in (and because I had a coupon!), I took DS to a local fast/casual burger place that has amazing burgers. So good. So not good for you. But so good!

I finished the invitations for DS's birthday party last night and got them mailed out today. They actually turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself, considering that I don't have a crafty or creative bone in my body. I spent at least an hour yesterday googling for a template to use and struck out, so I ended up freehanding a (very simple) fire truck that I cut out of red construction paper. Then I glued some black construction paper wheels on and used a sharpie to draw a windshield and a ladder and write "Engine No. 4". Printed out the wording and glued it on the back, voila...basically free fire truck themed invitations!

Oh, and for some reason, I am completely broken out like a teenager right now. Grrr.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#329 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 AM

tjsmama--the days when I surrendered to tired and snuggled on the couch with nick jr or pbs kids are some of the best in my memory.
#330 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 AM

Gaye - those invitations sound great! I'd say that you do indeed have a creative bone(s) in your body.

jo - 20 pounds is awesome, WTG!

nemesis - aw, he's such a cutie. I hope you'll be able to run Myles and Myles with him some day.

Indoor, whispering "recess" is crazy! That's not recess in my book.

rr: 4.5 sloooow miles, saving it all for Saturday. My legs are feeling good and ready to go. I'm spending Friday night at MILs since she lives a tiny bit closer to the race than I do and she's staying here with the dinglets since DD1 has a dance performance on Saturday ( yes, I'm missing it). She doesn't have a computer at her house so I need to finalize my strategy and paces and what not right now and make sure I don't forget to look up anything since I won't be able to get online once I'm there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page