Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1jooj--congrats on the weight loss!

Penelope--I love your new sig

mommajb--when I lived in Chicagoland, we were outdoors unless the weather was crazy cold (like -10 below cold). They definitely expected us all to dress for it.

Tara2--I don't know, but hope you feel better soon.

RM--hope the 24 hours flies by.

Big news: I bought a double jogger yesterday! It's a Baby Jogger performance series double. That brand wasn't my first pick, but I know the person who owned the stroller and she only used it for a few months. It looks brand-new, and included one of those sun/mosquito covers, and with a rain cover too. It has a flat tire, but she didn't know because she hasn't used it in a while and all the tires were low. I'm excited, not least because it means that once or twice a week I can run to R's school to pick her up from kindergarten and run back home--just like the ad! (The one with the woman with a jogger standing in the pickup line with cars ahead and before her. I'm pretty sure it was an ad for shoes, but I don't remember.)

FM: 3 miles today, solo. I was going to take J in the single jogger and run the flat wheel to the local bike shop to get it fixed, but then the clouds moved in and I didn't want her first run to be in the rain. DH is home today helping to get everything ready for J's baptism party this weekend, so he watched her while I headed out.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#362 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In need of a serious kick in the rear. Seriously, no running partners on a Friday night? What else could they be doing?
#363 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM

I'll run with ya, Geo. Wish!!!!

Ds is driving me He will Not. Be. Quiet. He is also driving his sister (and roommate) batty.

Agh. And we have to get up at oh-dark-something for dh's triathlon.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#364 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM

I went the half route. I gotta figure out how to swap the order of the run and the BM. Every night this week.
#365 of 690 Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 PM

OK so just to be fair I have to report that DD's class apparently had 2 recess periods today, one indoor and one outdoor, and the teacher is finished with the testing she was doing so maybe there will be no more whisper recess.

re: the Iowa Achievement Test. We moved around so much when I was a kid that I am pretty sure I took both the Iowa and the California at various points. I was always told they were more or less 2 different forms of the same thing, that they tested the same concepts. Do these tests still exist or have SOLs replaced them?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#366 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 AM

Geo, that's why I run in the AM. But not first thing. Glad you got the run, though.

Real, enjoy the new equipment. That will be wonderful to have.

Plady, great scores! I have been seeing rummage sale signs on my way home after work all week, but I have zero minutes to stop and look. And I could really use a couple new shirts. But really, I need job clothes. I got a new pair of cargo shorts at end of season last year. Of course, they are too big now, but they came with a belt and are men's anyway, so it's OK if they are superbaggy and I looked silly in them before, so who cares, right? They are my farming shorts.

Tara, I'd hate to recommend going out and trying and then hear that it's something bad. I had some ankle pain after a marathon that took a long time to resolve, but it did resolve. I'd be OK with giving it another week off. Heal, mama.

FM: 4mi on the elliptical and abs before work this AM.

Then work. And yeah, there is some stuff going on, but whether it's a negative development or just change ahead is (I think) subject to one's perspective and openness to change. Let's just say big opportunities for personal growth. But, IMO, all OK.

Then I picked up a bunch of chicks which I had spent the day alternating between remembering and forgetting and set them up, and then a friend stopped in and kept me company while I did barn chores, and then I had dinner plans with the kids. But before we left I checked on the chicks only to find there had been a water/chill/piling incident and all but about 12 (there were 50 total) were wet and cold and unconscious. So I ran to the house and got the blow dryer and dried them and heated them up and took away the water and got most of them standing again before taking off with the kids. A friend made dinner and her dh took my ds to a baseball game (minor league). I was certain I'd come home to a big pile of dead chicks. All told, I lost 5 so far. I could lose more overnight, but I'm frankly amazed that I got that many back on their feet. I mean these chicks were really almost dead. Sometimes I'm just not good at this.

So anyway, I relaxed a bit with friends and met some new people and came home to really quite good news, considering, and put the goats to bed (so cute, the babies all like to sleep in a wheelbarrow together to the mamas were on the floor next to it, keeping an eye on them).

I have a niece coming tonight to sleep over (I'm calling it an "internship") after she and my sister see Fiddler on the Roof, so I might steal a quick 3mi tomorrow (she babysits!), and then there will be lots of chores. Pitching manure, planting corn, weeding, vaxing goats. Hoping for a longish run Sunday AM.
#367 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
re: the Iowa Achievement Test. We moved around so much when I was a kid that I am pretty sure I took both the Iowa and the California at various points. I was always told they were more or less 2 different forms of the same thing, that they tested the same concepts. Do these tests still exist or have SOLs replaced them?
What are SOLs? I think, but am struggling to confirm, the IAT is one that can produce a grade level estimate instead of percentile score for grade level of the test. That's a positive since best practices indicates above grade level testing is what we need. I am somewhat hopeful K will be moved to 4/5 math next year, but realistic that the school does not seem to actually want to do anything to serve these kids.

Going for another "how far can we go in our time allotted run" this morning after peanut butter pancakes.
#368 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Jo- I miss living near family. I wish my neice could come and stay the night! I hope you get a nice run in this morning!

Good luck on the tri, Mr. Nic!

I was going to start running this weekend again, after taking almost two weeks off because of my back. Guess what? My back hurts again this morning. WTF? :s

I felt pretty sure it was a pulled muscle, but I haven't done anything yet that could reinjure it. All I've done is light stretching and walking the dog. Argh.

The dog is doing great and the gentle leader is working really well! Thanks for the suggestions! DH is coming around, I think. He just needs more sleep and more time to visit with Myles.
#369 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Good Morning! DH and I had a great time at the wedding last night. We even danced a little . But didn't get home until midnight.

Tara ~ as someone who is just now getting better because I ignored an injury one YEAR ago, I strongly suggest the waiting and icing route with any injury .

Geo ~ peanut butter pancakes ! Have a good run.

Jo ~ sorry about the 5 chicks, but you are an awesome farmer for saving as many as you did with the hairdryer. Enjoy your run and your babysitting niece . And a huge on the 20 pounds lost!

Nic ~ hope your DH has a good race.... and your DS can quiet down for a while !

Plady ~ great work on those thrift store finds!!!

The trigger point therapy on my hip is working ! Exactly one year since Dances With Dirt (and the start of this parade of injury), I am actually getting better! My old DWD team is out there, tearing it up in the woods today. I'm envious. I love that race more than any other I've ever done.

I'll swim my final 1500m for the week this morning while DD is at her swimming lesson.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#370 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
What are SOLs? I think, but am struggling to confirm, the IAT is one that can produce a grade level estimate instead of percentile score for grade level of the test. That's a positive since best practices indicates above grade level testing is what we need. I am somewhat hopeful K will be moved to 4/5 math next year, but realistic that the school does not seem to actually want to do anything to serve these kids.

Going for another "how far can we go in our time allotted run" this morning after peanut butter pancakes.
Have you found anything on http://www.hoagiesgifted.org on testing?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#371 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Hey Tara - Well, with Bec's recent dx fresh in my mind I'd probably err on the side of being overly cautious and take it super easy until all the pain is gone.

memiles - Isn't it insanely beautiful right now?

I did my 100s and then thought I'd swim. I had a ton of time so I thought I'd try to swim a mile, got all my little ducks in a row (to count laps, they move over every fifth lap) and got through 10 laps when the water aerobics instructor told me I had to stop for her class. So I joined the class. I figured I was already all wet and I used to enjoy water aerobics in Mexico. It was fine, lots of oldsters, lots of old guys flirting with me and anyone else under 80. and it felt good to move all those joints in different ways.
I also scored at the thrift store, I got two skirts then it occurred to me to look for tops that would match so I wouldn't do what I usually do with skirts which is not wear them because I have no appropriate tops. So I found 6 tops that matched one or both of the skirts ($1 each!)! I'm so psyched I went ahead and changed into one of my new outfits after swimming . I haven't worn skirts in a long time so I feel like a total poser today but so far nobody has called me out on it.
I also got a wetsuit for $10. I don't know anything about wetsuits but I'd like to swim more in lakes and ponds so I figured $10 was a safe bet.
Way to go at the thrift store!!! I too love to wear skirts and dresses, but run into the same issues you do. I don't have matching tops most times, and I feel like people think I am "dressing up" when really it's just comfy.

Quote:
I went the half route. I gotta figure out how to swap the order of the run and the BM. Every night this week.

so you really mean the restroom BM ? too funny, because it is so true. a few runs have had me sqeezing cheeks to get home.

I'm at work today, not sure how it's going to go. I'm 1 1/2 hours into an 8 hour shift......
#372 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Have you found anything on http://www.hoagiesgifted.org on testing?
Surprisingly little specific. I'm finding the best info in this book. However, since I still don't have specific info on what the state requires and how test results are used, we're still unable to properly prepare for our meetings to advocate for K.
#373 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quick check in with 4 miles to report! I've decided to do the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon in October. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the relay (one 5 mile leg and one 8 mile) or the whole thing myself. Wine and Dine is definitely something to motivate me. Free wine after a race-I'm SO there!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#374 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 PM
bec

So, I went to the pool today (cause that's all I got), and I am pleased to report that I'm getting faster at least. I did a mile in 34 minutes!!! I did some drills after that for a total of 2100 meters (yards? my pool confuses me).

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#375 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Speedy, bec!

DS did great at his race, but oh, the disorganization! For a relatively big race, you'd think they could get things figured out, but not so much. This is the same race that was .5 mile long in 2007, requiring times to be adjusted for Boston qualifying and then the biker leading the elites went the wrong way in 2008 and added at least .5 mile to the route. Apparently, this year they had a printing problem so the bib numbers have the wrong people's names on them...one guy I follow on Twitter has "Michelle" on his bib. I registered online so we wouldn't have to stand in line to pick up his packet, but they only HAD one line, so we still had to stand there with the people registering this morning. Then they said there weren't any shirts, then there were shirts, then there weren't (for the record, there were...but you had to go back to the registration tent AFTER the race and ask). The race time said 10:00, but that's when they started the mile race and the kids running the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile had to wait until all the milers were done, which doesn't make any sense, either. Why not get the little kids running the short distance out of the way before sending the big kids out? Oh well. He had fun and he did great. Made me run with him, of course, but at least I got some good action photos! He cracked me up at one point...I told him to keep going, go faster, and he said "I want to run slow now"!

After the race, we headed to the greenhouse to pick up plants for the balcony. DS, of course, wanted to take home everything, which I can neither afford nor have room for! We got a nice assortment, so hopefully they flourish and my thumb remains more green than black this year.

DS is now off at daddy's, and I'm trying to get motivated to go run. The original plan was to go 10, but I really don't want to. We'll see. I think if I run at all today, I might call it good. Sigh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#376 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM

All right. I did it. And it wasn't that bad. The first two miles were a little rough, as were the last two, but in between was actually pretty nice. I had a minor panic two miles in when the dog started limping, but I did a quick paw check and even though I didn't find anything, he was fine the rest of the way. All the flowers blooming and the lilacs were so beautiful (and fragrant!). I love this route...it's through some really nice neighborhoods with gorgeous (historic and architecturally interesting) houses. That I will never be able to afford, but I still like looking at them! It ended up being just over 9.5, so not too shabby.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#377 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 PM

help! my 4.5 yo has major separation anxiety. As in I was in the back yard, hanging up laundry this morning and wandered down the alley to see my friend having a yard sale (literally you can see their house from my back deck) (dh was home, so was big sister). Return home 4 minutes later to an absolutely hysterical Leah. "Mama where were you? (sob) I looked in your room, (sob) I looked in the basement, I couldn't find you anywhere." Worst part? Dh didn't even notice she was crying. Someone tell me they experienced this too. Nothing has changed (ok I guess I'm not quite as crabby as I had been while in job limbo).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#378 of 690 Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 PM

kerc--I could totally see R doing that, even now. I can tell her that I'm going to hang laundry, go in the backyard, she'll forget and 10 minutes later I hear "mommy? Mommy! MOMMY!!!"

Hoping to get some FM in today. The in-laws (DH's parents, a cousin and an aunt) arrived today for J's baptism tomorrow. Their plane was late so we changed the plan to "feed them and send them on their way," but naturally DH decided they needed to do a tour of the house and yard first. It took 30 minutes. How is that "send them on their way?" He said it was the quick tour. I wonder what the long one is like, considering that our house is all of 1500 square feet and our yard isn't all that big either.

I'm mostly annoyed because he had offered to watch J and let me run while R took her bath after his family left, but seeing as he didn't send them on their way until 8 instead of the planned 7 (heck, even 7:30 would have been fine), it now means that I'll be running or walking at 10, if at all. He said "oh, I forgot." Funny how he always forgets when his family is involved. I still need to do some spot cleaning on the floors from the spots that were always messed up after dinner, make the frosting and frost J's cake, get the diaper bag and everything packed for tomorrow morning. And I cleaned up all the dishes from dinner because he walked off and left them there. Sigh.

/end rant

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#379 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
In need of a serious kick in the rear. Seriously, no running partners on a Friday night? What else could they be doing?
Waiting tables. Come on in, I'll suggestive-sell you a margarita. Because that's my super-glamorous job. I hate working Friday nights, when all the fun things happen, but that's also the time to make the best tip money, so Fridays remain.

Worked late, didn't get to bed until 2 last night, then at 4 I had two whiny children who needed to be escorted back downstairs to their own beds. And wet clothes changed. And wet bedding changed. DH: Me:

Today was productive; our dump is open and accepting leaves, so I dragged out of bed at 7:30 to load the back of our van with leaves to dump before soccer. Then three more loads between soccer and a birthday party, and one more load afterward.

No running, but my muscles are sore from yardwork, which will have to do. I should be sleeping right now, but spent so much time procrastinating on today's hundred push-ups that I'm still awake. Hopefully tomorrow morning will dawn bright and cheery and I'll be able to get in a run before church. Then another birthday party. Birthday parties are gobbling up all of my weekend time and ruining my life and budget. Hopefully summer vacation will mark the end of these ridiculous invite-the-whole-class shindigs.

Ack, I'm grouchy. Did I mention last night's poor night sleep? Better move myself to bed now.
#380 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 AM

Getting ready to run my half today... so far, no mojo. Hmm. Wonder where it went?

I think it'll be fun, and it's basically local, and the weather should be gorgeous and on the cool side. I just haven't raced at all since my bout with IT band problems last fall, so I'm a little anxious. <breathing>

Ok. Off for coffee and to get into my race clothes...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#381 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM

penelope~ROCK OUT THAT HALF GIRL!! when you get there with all the race prep, you'll get your mojo. Run for the dingos!!!
#382 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Enjoy, Penelope! You'll be great.

RM: You surviving the crazy work schedule?

I got a lot checked off the list yesterday. Planted some corn, got the mulch about half-spread, weeded garden rows, caught up on laundry and cleaned the house. Then had a bonfire with smores for kids at night, and we hit the sack around 10. Late for me.

Today, I really should castrate lambs (going to band after all), get those goats vaxed like I keep saying, get groceries, and dh has given me another list of stuff to do/pick up. I need to call a friend to tell her NOT to come visit (to "help" me??? ) so I can get it all done AND get ds to work on all the make-up work he has been assigned as penance for last week's homework transgressions.

And get this: this week, ds has a field trip to a place I've always wanted to see, a writers' tea, a BIRTHDAY (9 *sniff*) and an invite to another bday party. I need to do an interview at work and oversee the other writer (due to quality issues we're having with that person's work ). Soccer is Monday night and Wednesday. My niece will be back again Friday night. She might save my life.

And then after that I have one more week before dh comes home again. And you all know the freakout that can be.

So, today I will do my chores and tidy the house, drop kids at Sunday school, take niece home, run with RP in next town over, pick up kids, get groceries and get on with the day. If everyone just leaves us alone, we can get it all done. And I know I sound like an ungrateful b!tc#, but there are four people who are capable of providing meaningful help, and they are all incredibly busy.
#383 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 AM

Penelope RUN!

jo, your week's plans make me dizzy. And hopeful for when dh leaves.

I should run this morning... The kids are particularly whiny. I wonder what dh is thinking about me running?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#384 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Penelope! Go, go go! You'll have a great race. It's hard to have mojo before coffee that early in the morning.

Jo ~ yikes! You are one busy Mama. May you get the peace and solitude required to get it all done today .

Lala ~ you win second place in the extra, super busy awards ! And I am so with you on the birthday thing.

Real ~ sorry you didn't get to run (unless you managed to get out at 10...). Happy Baptism to your sweet baby . Hope it all goes smoothly today.

kerc ~ DD2 does that too. No clue why. On Friday I told her, "I'm going upstairs to take a shower." She said, "Okay!" but five minutes later she was SHRIEKING all over the house, "MAMA!!!" I jumped out of the shower, soaking wet and asked her what was wrong. She replied, "I couldn't find you." Ummmmm.... not only had I told her where I was going, but the giant clue of the shower water running could have told her too. Sheesh...

We had a nice, relaxing day yesterday even though a huge rainstorm squashed our plans for a family bike ride. Both DD1 and DS had a friend over, so it was very "hands off". I didn't swim though . No mojo (ie. felt too fat and gross from the wedding on Friday to contemplate getting into the pool). Today starts a new week of epic (for me) swimming though !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#385 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Go, Penelope, go!!!

I'm off on my bike to cheer for friends in the 1/2 marathon this morning...here's hoping I actually a)find them and b)don't get lost.

#386 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Go Penelope!!!

Just back from my "long" run...a whopping 6.2. Not feeling great, AF is here. Just stressed in general.

Dh did great at his tri yesterday although it took a lot out of him. Olympic distance (1 mile swim, 26 mile bike, 6.2 mile run). It is HOT here and by the time he was running (about 9:15 am) it was pretty brutal, esp. because there is no shade on that route. He was pretty much wasted the rest of the day.

Off to shower and make pancakes for dd1, sleepover date, and dd2 and ds.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#387 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM

Good luck, Penelope!

I woke up with back pain again this morning. I don't know what is up. Any suggestions?

It's muscular, almost certainly. Sore, stiff muscles in the back and side (over my ribs) of my back. Ugh.
#388 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 10:48 AM
bec

Go, Penelope!!!! And have a great time!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#389 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 AM

GO PENELOPE!!

PSA: garmin 305 is amazon's deal of the day...for $125!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#390 of 690 Old 05-16-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Penelope - Go! Go! GO! You're probably already done but can't wait to hear all about it!

Real - and on your behalf.

Jo -

So dingos, I need some No Sugar Mojo! Today will be Day 2 of me staying away from desserts/candy/sweet non-dessert stuff like muffins etc. And it's going to be a real test today too. First there will be the post-church feast and then there's a Teddy Bear Picnic at the theatre that I'm taking the girls to. I'm going to approach it like a really hard workout that I'm determined to finish, maybe that will be a useful image? I seem to be able to rise to physical challenges of that kind, this is just a little different.
I haven't done my 100s since Friday. Yesterday was really busy and I had no energy so I don't feel bad about it. Today looks like more of the same but maybe some mojo will kick in for them after lifeguard class this evening.

Can I brag for a sec? I took the girls to see My Fair Lady last night with a running time of 3:15 including intermission and they were great! They both paid attention and were quiet and appropriate. I was so proud of them.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page