Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still working to get things straightened out for my oldest son and mostly holding my breath for the two girls at this point. Please send all the you can spare.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#482 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I am still working to get things straightened out for my oldest son and mostly holding my breath for the two girls at this point. Please send all the you can spare.
Good luck!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#483 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
coming your way .

Congrats to bec, Geo, and Nic for all the great results you've had in advocating for your childrens' educations. And you too, JenLove, for helping your sister navigate her son's IEP! Very inspiring!

We saw a smidge of sun this morning, now we're back to cloudy, cold, and drizzling. My knee HATES this kind of weather. I am SO ready for real May weather.

DD1's play is tonight and tomorrow is DD2's 4th birthday !

OT: Any other perimenopausal Mamas here? My cycles are getting shorter and shorter (23 days for this one ). Is there anything I can do to lengthen them again? I hate having my period every 3 weeks....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#484 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM

mommajb!

Tough-ish run this morning. I took the stroller and dog out from home again. The first two miles were really tough. My legs are pretty tired from my double workout yesterday, then the last two miles got better but with a headwind. Overall, not bad and I got it done.

Now it's time to get ready to go to school with DS. It's beach day (rescheduled from last week when we had snow ) and I volunteered to be one of the extra helping parents that they needed.

And then...it's girls night out! Me and 5 of my best girlfriends (hopefully, last I heard, my best friend didn't have a babysitter...why she waited until this week to start looking, I have no idea ) are heading out for sushi, sake, and dessert.

Smilies from DS:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#485 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM

mommajb-

Jen- That's great that you are able to help out your sister like that! I bet she really appreciates it!

JayGee- I hope it clears up. We've had great weather this week, but are expecting bad storms for the weekend.

I am hit or miss with my back, but I did manage to walk about 5 miles last night with the dog. 5K tomorrow, I hope it goes well with DD and MIL.
#486 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Jo, happy birthday to your DS!

Nic, congrats to your DS! FWIW, we bought a 2006 Sienna in September and we love it. I thought I wanted an Odyssey but I ended up liking the Sienna better. I'm hoping it lasts for a long, long time.

Gaye and JayGee, thanks for the info on the pelvis stuff. What do you think about my PT telling me I had to keep my legs together and act like a granny for a couple days following the maneuver she did to put my pelvis back in place? It was impossible for me to do that (1 year old, garden, job, heavy laptop bag just to name a few reasons) and I felt like if it wasn't fixed it must be because I wasn't following the directions well enough. I also got the vibe that she thought I shouldn't need her to do the manual stuff each time I went for an appointment, although she did do it 2-3 times over a period of several weeks.

to mommajb

Ran last night with DS in the stroller, so nothing today unless we can squeeze in a family walk tonight. I'm down 1.5 lbs this week. Will run tomorrow, and then Saturday we're going to Raleigh for the weekend for a reunion/concert w/ the handbell group I used to belong to (The Raleigh Ringers). It was one of those experiences where you become like family, so I really miss them and am looking forward to seeing them again!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#487 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Jaygee~I've been perimenaposal for several years now (I'm 37 and it started in my early 30's). I can't tell you how my cycles are now as I don't get a period anymore. I had uteran ablation when I had to have a D&C due to periods that were 10 days long (polyp in the uterus). I'm sorry I offer no help on your actual question, but offer support and comiseration. Hugs!

RR: none, been at school three times already for closing awards ceremonies, drop offs, and now have to return to get other son. His second grade teacher wouldn't let us take him early because they were "still having class". ??? I'm all for suporting good school habit, but it's the end of the year, he's an A student, grades are in, there is only 1 1/2 hour of class left. come on!

Okay, dishes await, then back to school for the fourth time today. I'm taking the boys for special ice cream to celebrate the begining of summer break.
#488 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Congrats to bec, Geo, and Nic for all the great results you've had in advocating for your childrens' educations. And you too, JenLove, for helping your sister navigate her son's IEP! Very inspiring!
We have no agreement in place yet, just test results and a recommendation for acceleration. I'm starting to get a tad anxious that they'll railroad us into something less than what K needs.

JenLove, there is a woman who has made a career here as a special ed advocate in the district. She works for parents to navigate the IEP process. If you've got a talent for that, you might consider such a track.

Gorgeous day. Sadly, no run tonight.
#489 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Jaygee, I think I skipped peri-menopause and jumped straight to menopause so I don't have first hand experience but you might look through the ttc forum as I know many women there are looking to adjust the length of their cycles.

#490 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
bec

JayGee - I am also facing a 23-25 day cycle, and am SICK of it! It's not fair! I used to be 28 days on the nose.

I did a little less than an hour of strength training today, and then followed that up with a 2 mile swim! It was great, except that the pull buoy chafed my legs pretty badly. I didn't notice it until I decided to try out a Nair product today in the shower. Youch!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#491 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

to ds Jo! Froz fruit bars sound celebratory to me!

Peri-menopause So that's what's going on! I've been procrastinating on googling 'shorter cycles' for a long time now.

JenLove - I agree with Geo, sounds like a lucrative ability!

Mommajb - coming at you!

I can't believe school years are ending already! We have another month and I need every day of it!

Nic - for your DH's revelation. Let's hope it spreads like a virus.

No FM for me today so far. I needed to get some script writing done so I just buckled in for the morning and actually did make some progress. I'll be in the pool later doing lifeguarding stuff though so that may be something. Then I'll do my 100s too before I take a real shower.

Okay, gotta get organized!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#492 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Hi guys,
I posted to Plady on FB but I am so sorry about your chickens, mama.

Speaking of chickens, we ordered four from my pet chicken (since we can only have a few, and only pullets) and they will be here in a few weeks. They actually DO come in them mail, at least the chicks do! So we'll see. We have hawks and stuff too, apparently it's sort of common to lose a few, but I can't imagine it will be easy. We are excited to try it though here in the burbs.

good luck with the educational stuff, mamas. it is so hard.

I am dealing with job related CRAP. Grr. That's really all I want to say about it. Nothing to do with my actual JOB, though, and a lot to do with (yawn) sexism. I mean, really, can't people be more creative than not liking a woman pastor just bc she's a woman? apparently not.

anyway, kids are done with school tomorrow and we're camping next week for the first time this season! there are trails so I might be able to do some actual trail running, too. WAY looking forward to it. take care mamas.
#493 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 PM

Oh Mamabeth, that bites. I mean, really. If I was in your church I'd be so happy to have you as my pastor!

I too am experiencing the onset of perimenopause. It also bites. I'm having irregular cycles and this really awful, terrible, nasty heavy bleeding for two days (like, my Diva doesn't hold it...an Ultra tampon plus a super pad only last maybe an hour). Then it's totally over. But the cramping and bleeding while it's happening are just, the worst.

My mom had this, then had endometrial cancer and needed a hysterectomy at 45. I don't want that. I may go get a consultation for the uterine ablation thing. Dh doesn't support that but I don't know if I can deal with this for years on end. I cannot take artificial hormones (even the Mirena IUD caused a systemic hormone reaction). Yuck.

FM -- eeked out a 4.5 mile run this evening. It didn't feel good until, like, the last half mile. It's really hot still even at 7 pm. But I powered through and got it done.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#494 of 690 Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 PM

I'm not sure about perimenopause, but I know my hormonal crazies have grown crazier over the past couple years. I'll be 37 this year. My only issues are major bloating (6 pound weight gain is common), eating like a feedlot steer, sensitivity to noise/irritability/tension, acne...I have a Mirena IUD so I occasionally get spotting when I would likely otherwise have a period.

mamabeth work issues suck. Sexism sucks, too.

Took the kids out for Chinese, my sister gave ds AWESOME presents, then I took them to a park and we had our own round of froz fruit pops (coconut, yum). Next, to finish Despereaux. Hope to squeeze in a run tomorrow morning before writers' tea at ds's school. Then work. Then weekend.
#495 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 AM

bec - as someone who sometimes gets bad chaffing from running, I was absolutely at the Nair issue. That must have been awful!!

Perimenopause - huh, I didn't realize this was so common, I guess (and since my practice is like 3/4 maternal-child health, you'd think I would!) but my cycle is shorter now, too. I always had 34-35 day cycles, from age 13 until I started cycling again after Caroline was born, and now I'm consistently 28-29 days. On the plus side, I have less bleeding and fewer days of bleeding, too, so I haven't complained too much. I have had some patients have success in lengthening their cycles with vitex, for what it's worth.

Nick - yay for school agreement! And I'd totally be a fan of endometrial ablation in your situation.

mamabeth - my oldest ds's gf has interviewed at a small private college for a director of college student activities position (I think that's the title.) It's a Lutheran affliated college - Waldorf College, in Iowa. Are you familiar with it at all? Ds has a phone interview in the area as well tomorrow.

1jooj - Happy birthday to your ds!!

eksmom - going to a reunion, etc with your former bell group sounds like so much fun! I hope the last of your week is peaceful leading up to it. And especially - congrats on the 1.5 lbs!!

RR - I did an interval work out on the treadmill tonight, and felt pretty good. I'm thinking my goal 5K pace is unrealistic, though. I seem to have gotten significantly slower in the last couple years, and I'm not entirely sure why. A little bit of it is weight gain, I think, and I'm sure the couple years older don't help, but I feel like I shouldn't have gotten this much slower?
#496 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Well, at least it's nice to know that my short periods and I are in good company ! And Jo, you reminded me of the return of acne that has started in the last few months. Not cool. Nic, a friend of mine had endometrial ablation a few months ago for the same kinds of problems and says it's made such a huge difference in her life. Why is your DH opposed?

Today is Kirsten's 4th birthday ! I can't believe my baby, my youngest, is four years old. Sniff....

Kay's kindergarten play last night was just teriffic! I swear, the music teacher at her school is truly amazing! At the party in her classroom after the play, her teacher gave us all their assessment results from the year and I'm so proud, especially with her reading. She started the year in August at a DRA level 4, and is ending the year at a DRA level 22+! Just watching he sit on the sofa, deeply involved in a book, is a wonderful thing.

I managed to swim 1500m last night, but there was no mojo. Oh well. I guess every workout can't be a winner.

#497 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Well, at least it's nice to know that my short periods and I are in good company ! And Jo, you reminded me of the return of acne that has started in the last few months. Not cool. Nic, a friend of mine had endometrial ablation a few months ago for the same kinds of problems and says it's made such a huge difference in her life. Why is your DH opposed?

Today is Kirsten's 4th birthday ! I can't believe my baby, my youngest, is four years old. Sniff....
Happy Birthday to Kirsten!

And would you believe, my husband the surgeon is opposed to endometrial ablation because...it's surgery.

He is, in general, leery of hospitals, doctors, medicine, and surgery. I guess when you know too much...you know too much.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#498 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 AM

nic, it makes sense to me. When my mother, a nurse, needed a surgery done laproscpcpically and generally considered routine she spent a good deal of time selecting her anesthesiologist because that is the riskiest part. She also researched the post op infection rates of the docs at the various hospitals in the area before having anything done.

FMR: 1 hour of lap swimming last night where I got a compliment on my stroke! and a weight lifting workout this morning.

JG, to your 4 year old.

ETA re chafing I got a pair of moving comfort compression shorts with a 7.5" inseam and it really helps.

#499 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm not supposed to be on here 'cause I've got a house to clean, kids to feed and a car to pack, but what the heck. There's also no other adult in the house to make me feel accountable.

JayGee: that would would be so cool if you guys moved to Germany! I don't know a whole lot about that area, but I've heard only good things from people stationed in Germany. Good schools, lots of family-oriented outdoor activities and groups, good beer... I could go on. Happy birthday to your DD!!
Mamabeth: I'm on your behalf for the work issues related to sexism.
Plady: So sorry about the chickens.

The last time I did any FM was my Wednesday PT class. I didn't do any sit-ups or push-ups yesterday, but I was on my feet all day for a field trip to Nuremburg with my DS's preschool. That was fun, but tiring for everyone. My knee was pretty swollen by the end of the day, and I just couldn't face moving myself any more. I feel asleep with DD, and woke up at 10 pm to the sound of DS playing with his legos!! That's what happens when he gets a nap and I don't!

So right now, I'm on pins and needles waiting for a phone call from a company who I did some freelance work for this week. This is the first time I've ever worked for them, and to make matters more tense, the one who set up the job is a friend of the family. I'll just be so embarrassed if there was something that they didn't like! I wish they would just call already and get it over with.

I think I'll go do my PT and pushups/situps to help pass the time.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#500 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Forgot to tell you ladies something cool that happened on MOnday. I ran into a lady from church at the grocery store. We were talking about wanting to get our kids together (they were in a class together and really get along). She then talked about being a track coach (we were talking about schedules) and I told her that was great, I love running. She then said she wondered if I was a runner because I "look like one". I know there are runners of all shapes and sizes, but I took it as a compliment. I am a runner at heart, even though I haven't done much lately due to injury. The best part?!! She wants to run together!! that we can work out our schedules to do so. She wants to break a 1:45 half, and I think it would be awesome to do that together.

work out planned for today, but laying in bed with two of my kiddos on the first day of summer break is pretty awesome.
#501 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM

RM, I can't believe you're on break already! Our last day was supposed to be today, but thanks to 8 snow days, my children are in school until June 1. Gotta love coming back to school for one day after Memorial Day weekend . And congrats on the runner comment !

Mel ~ take it easy on the knee. Remember, you just had surgery ! I'd love to live in Germany. We'll see...

DH told me last night that he counted and he's applied for 30 jobs in the last 3 months. Would you believe not even ONE interview..... . Only 5 more months until he stops getting his regular pay. And let me tell you that there is no way our family could actually live off of his retirement pay. I pray he gets an interview soon.

Off to Build A Bear with my birthday girl !

#502 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM
bec

Happy Birthday, Kirsten!!! I was shocked when my own youngest turned 4! And, DH had a nasty realization last night when he realized that our oldest was going to be in 4th grade next year! What's up with all these kids growing up?

I think my FM today is going to have to be housework. My house is a complete wreck.

#503 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
She then said she wondered if I was a runner because I "look like one".
What a lovely thing to say to someone! My new favorite compliment.

Bec: Wait, you swam 2 miles pulling a buoy? You =

JayGee: That's the pits about all those applications and no interviews. Maybe it just means he will be available when the right job comes along!

Our neighbors back in SC were in a similar situation, he was retiring from the Air Force, and he applied to lots of different jobs - even considered living back in DC, which the family really did not want to do. The job search was not going well, but then Boeing decided to open a big new facility in Charleston. They are really looking for people to be in from the start, before they even started building the plant - and he was a perfect fit for them! I think retired military people are a great resource for companies when they are looking for responsible, mature, resourceful people to go into some kind of managerial role. Anyway, I think it was good that nothing else had worked out, because otherwise he would have had a commitment and not been able to take advantage of that job.

Anyhoo, I finally got a call from that company I worked for, and besides having a bit of trouble opening the file I sent them, they seemed happy with the work I did. So, whew.

Oh yeah, and we are leaving tomorrow for a week's vacation in Holland! I'm excited, though it probably won't be warm enough to swim. Oh well, vacation is vacation, and we will have fun, I'm sure.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#504 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Just poppin' in while I have quick break at work... I really wish I had more time to hang out here.

jaygee~My dh went through something similar two years ago. It ended up taking him a good eight months to find something. I don't even know how many resumes he sent out; I'm sure it was a ton.

rm~Great compliment to get!

rr: I'm back up to 8 miles on my foot! I've seen yet another podiatrist (this one specializes in running injuries), but that's a looooong story and not the happiest one. In other news, I've also tried out weightlifting. We joined the Y and they have a BodyPump class in the mornings before work. I think I'm addicted and it's only been a few weeks.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#505 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 01:19 PM

I was once told by a doc listening to my heart that I had the heartbeat "of a runner." That made my week, too. I get ya!

5mi on the elliptical because TMs were full and it's raining. Then abs and off to work.
#506 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Bec: Wait, you swam 2 miles pulling a buoy? You =
It's a piece of styrofoam you put in between your legs. It gives a bit of buoyancy. This is the kind they have at my pool.

I'm thinking that a molded foam one might be better. Swimmers, thoughts?

RM - That is an awesome comment! I would be on top of the world.

#507 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Dingos, you gotta read my FB post (Lisa A.). My kids just put me on the moon!
#508 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Lisa - that is so sweet! And all true I'm sure!

So bummed here today. I just had to have C's favorite hen put out of her misery. Something caught her sometime yesterday and although she got away and into the coop for the night her intestines were hanging out when I checked her this morning. I feel terrible. I didn't know another hen had been attacked, when I checked the coop at sunset last night they were all on their roosts and everything seemed fine. Then just before dark I noticed a big pile of feathers out in the yard. I was right in the middle of bedtime and figured that the body of the hen that I didn't find the other day had been brought back and chewed up or something and I just couldn't face putting bedtime on hold to go clean it up. Then when I finally thought to look again this morning I realized the feathers were from this other hen. The poor thing, she was totally alert, all fluffed up and on her perch. If I hadn't seen how many feathers she'd lost I wouldn't have known anything was wrong. But then she turned her back to me and her guts were just hanging below her belly.
So I brought her inside and put her in a box while I tried to stop shaking and then called a local farm to see if they knew of anyone who would treat a chicken. Apparently chickens aren't worth enough to treat but we agreed that this poor girl was probably beyond help. Thankfully she suggested I bring the hen to her place where she'd get a guy to give her a quick end. I wish I could have done it myself, and maybe I would have found the courage if she hadn't offered to help, but it was just so sad. To look at her sitting in her box she looked just fine.
UGH UGH UGH!!!
So then I had to do some food shopping and I resisted the urge to buy myself sweet consolation. I did splurge on some instant starbucks (who would ever have considered instant coffee a treat?) I think what I really need is a valium though, ever since I spotted the first pile of feathers on Tuesday I think I haven't stood down from red alert. Each time I think of it I realize my shoulders are hunched up by ears.

I should run but my legs feel like jello.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#509 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Plady that is so stressful to deal with, especially with C's favorite hen.

#510 of 690 Old 05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
bec

Plady. So sad. I hope you figure out what is attacking your girls and are able to put a stop to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page