Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 690 Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
am back from my adventure in NC, and what an adventure it was. 100 teams of two started, and only 55 finished. 63 mountain bike miles. 13 hours. Finished in the dark and pouring rain. You can read about it on my blog. It's so beautiful down there, I can't wait to go back again though I don't think that I would ever do that race again. Just to ride and hang out in Pisgah would be enough.

I've got some big DH issues right now, so leaving town for a road trip was perfect timing.

Kerc - hope it's better news than you suspect, but s

Gaye - wtg on your group ride, that sounds like fun.
#62 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 AM

Mandy, that area is so gorgeous, one of my favorites! I spent some of my growing up years not far from there in Murphy. Congrats on finishing!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#63 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 AM

kerc~ Also hoping that things are better than you fear. And regardless of the outcome, I'm sending you that you find out one way or another soon so that you can move on.

mandy~Sounds like an awesome experience...can't wait to read your blog!

My social security number problem is still not fixed, and I'm a little irritated with the admissions office. I called this morning and the lady I talked to was kind of nasty about it in a defensive we-didn't-screw-it-up-you-must-have kind of way. I had to talk to another lady, but she made me send her an email, which I haven't yet gotten a response to. At least I was able to get registered for my classes.

rr~An easy 1000 yd swim, about half of it with the pull buoy for even more of a break for my legs.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#64 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM

Oh kerc. Seconding all the dingos above who are hoping what you heard was gossip and not the full, good story.

Mandy, you're amazing! and on the dh issues.

Gaye, sorry you're getting the run-around.

Memiles, I had to laugh...

No FM for me this morning, but I'm hoping to work a good run in this evening somehow. Maybe I can take dd with me on her bike.

My dinner with students went well - I had about 20 students, they totally helped set up and clean up, and took leftovers happily, and my colleague made all the technology work (involved buying a cheap DVD player, which we'll use for the big TV outside our offices by the comfy couches, and hooking the damn thing up.) The film itself (Confuscius) was pretty decent, if somewhat more historically than philosphically focused, and I'd probably use it again in another course if I had the chance. And... it's done.

Off to catch up on a zillion other things, sigh.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#65 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM

I succeeded in getting up early and going for a run! I was really looking forward to it, too. And my run sucked. I must not have been very well rested... looking at the Garmin stats, my hr was lower than normal and I was feeling winded and tired. I cut it short at around 3 miles and I am just feeling sorry for myself.

But I found some ferns and irises lined up nicely in the alley for the taking, so that's a bright spot.
#66 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM

kerc, whatever the outcome, I am hoping something truly wonderful lies directly ahead for you.

Plady, hope the goslings do well.

Mandy, that sounds brutal to me. You are tough, mama.

Memiles, I laughed too. Mine would do the same.

I am taking an out of office day today. I am a little worried about how that is going to work out, since my mom is coming later and I still have deadlines tomorrow, so I should route some drafts today. I need a good run. Took a rest day yesterday, but have not been sleeping since dh showed up with the cat. Who sleeps under beds all day and then plays/meows all night, and dd wants him to sleep with her, but then she came down with a cold, which dh is convinced is allergies to the cat (which it's not, it's a cold).

At least I survived soccer. I got dh to take ds to his game, so dd and I did hers, and then we went straight to ds's game and dh bolted to get back to his garden. While we were doing soccer, my sheep mama delivered healthy twin boys , and that's all looking great. I'll let them out this afternoon.

So I think I am going to get to the Y as soon as I can, run outdoors in town, and do some weights and stuff if I still have that in me. Then I am hoping my mom will take a nap or something while I work on some Web writing.

Enjoy the day, ladies.
#67 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I succeeded in getting up early and going for a run! I was really looking forward to it, too. And my run sucked. I must not have been very well rested... looking at the Garmin stats, my hr was lower than normal and I was feeling winded and tired. I cut it short at around 3 miles and I am just feeling sorry for myself.

But I found some ferns and irises lined up nicely in the alley for the taking, so that's a bright spot.
Good job on getting out early! Whenever I have ran early, it was a big adjustment mentally and physically. Give it some time.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#68 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Kerc ~ I really, really hope that whatever you've heard is all wrong and the job is yours.

Mandy ~ great job at the NC race! Hope things clear up with your DH.

Jooj ~ for more baby sheep!

Nemesis ~ sorry your morning run sucked. Some days are like that .

Penelope ~ that sounds like such a fun dinner. When I was a senior in college I took a great feminist theory class and our prof had us all for dinner and "consciousness raising" at her home .

tjsmama ~ I sure hope they can straighten your SS# issue out quickly. I hate that "it can't be our fault" attitude .

bec ~ really hope the doc has some answers. That leg has been bothering you for way too long.

I'm off to PT this morning after taking DD to preschool and then I plan to do some walk/run before I pick her up again at noon. It's the most perfect day ever today. I just can't NOT run . Hope I don't regret it this afternoon .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#69 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 AM

I'm here. I didn't run for a week on account of my cold, and finally got out for a slow run last night. Blech. I'm finally getting better, so hopefully tonight will go better as well.

I'm distracted by work stuff (*I* learned to play in the sandbox when I was three. Several colleagues still haven't figured such stuff out.) and DD education stuff. I got told to observe teachers, I'm clearly describing a particular teacher for K, but no one will tell me which one. This seems like a silly game. It's not like I'm saying I want K to have the pretty one, the popular one, the "best" one. I say "DD needs a quiet classroom with a teacher with significant experience differentiating instruction." My emphasis is on quiet and calm. I talked to K's former kindy teacher who was shocked by the treatment we've gotten, but she wouldn't tell me who to go look at either because of "confidentiality." That's BS.
#70 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
bec

Well, tri class kicked my butt. And I'm limping today as a consequence. Worth it? Well, it would have been a ton of fun. boot camp type stuff. Up and down the hill, up and down, up and down. Painful, and not in a good way. Under normal circumstances, exactly the kind of short, intense, interval work I love. Last night, just hurting and limping with anything that required calf/shin work. I'm starting to think stress fracture, and don't like that!

Mandy - Amazing ride! That sounds like one of those soul searching races, where it is about mental toughness as much as physical. You have both in spades!

Wendy - I wonder if the teachers are terrified about their jobs. With all the cuts around here, I know the teachers in our district are not willing to say anything about anybody! They're scared. The treatment you and K have gotten this year though is abominable, and no amount of budget fear has called for that!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#71 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Geo - That is BS, total load of it. "Confidentitality" my . I am so sorry you have to deal with this run around, it's ridiculous, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Bec - : for you today

GMM - That sounds like an incredible ride! Congrats on being one of the 55! Going to check out your blog.

Nemesis - At least you got out the door.

JayGee - : for you too.

We seem to be down a gosling this morning. I saw an eagle doing a fly-by at sunset last night. An eagle attacked our chickens last week too but they all escaped. They have been a lot more cautious about spending time out in the open ever since. Oy Nature.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#72 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Wendy ~ that just bites . I had a meeting with DS's teacher about his placement for next year as well and she also refused to give a name, just things like "a teacher who will challenge him" and "a teacher who will give him advanced work in the classroom setting". Gee, thanks.

Plady ~ darned eagle. Hope the rest of the goslings make it through the spring. Nature can be harsh.

bec ~ I've been wondering about the possibility of stress fracture for you, but didn't want to say anything . Does it hurt all the time, or just when you run? Is there a particularly tender spot on your tibia? Hope your appointment will answer the questions you have and get you on the road to recovery.

I had a good PT session today and then I went out and ran/walked 3 miles. It's too perfect today. Blue sky, 70 degrees, no humidity. I ran on a dirt path through the woods that goes beside a small stream. The air smelled of honeysuckle. I didn't want the run to end.

#73 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Dingos, I need more . My SIL was just diagnosed with breast cancer today. Apparently she's looking at a lymphectomy, chemo and radiation. We're trying to convince her that she could send us her two girls for as much of the summer as she might need to make it easier for her to deal with treatment. I don't really know anything about cancer but the treatment can feel worse than the disease right? It looks like not signing up for Ragnar was the right thing to do after all.

#74 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM

(That's code for best of both worlds: I got the job and they're hiring my friend too!)

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#75 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

(That's code for best of both worlds: I got the job and they're hiring my friend too!)
is right!!!! Way to go, kerc! I KNEW you were going to get it! Congratulations!

But on a sad note, Plady, a for your SIL. I'm so sorry.

#76 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Plady, and for your SIL.

KERC! and I think this also calls for dancing produce: So happy for you!

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#77 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
:j oy:j oy

#78 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM

Plady~I'm so sorry about the dx, I hope the tx goes by fast.

Kerc~WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!
:j oy

Bec~isn't your doc appt today?

RR: did great upper body weights work out. was going to run too, but ds3 was waiting on me to play with him, met ds2 for lunch, then returned some movies, bought dh bday present, got gas, now it's time to clean up the house for showing tonight and make some dinner before work.

Later!
#79 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Oh Dingos, I need more . My SIL was just diagnosed with breast cancer today. Apparently she's looking at a lymphectomy, chemo and radiation. We're trying to convince her that she could send us her two girls for as much of the summer as she might need to make it easier for her to deal with treatment. I don't really know anything about cancer but the treatment can feel worse than the disease right? It looks like not signing up for Ragnar was the right thing to do after all.
Sending lots of strength and healing to your SIL, her kids, and to you as well.

Quote:

That really is the best of both worlds!

My mind is a little boggled by the run I just finished. I'd resigned myself to a 31ish minute 5k this weekend. I've been holding steady at about that pace no matter what I do and I'm fine with it. However, I just went out and somehow managed to do 4.3 miles in 41.25. Yes, that's a 9:39 pace for the entire thing! Mile 3 was my slowest at 9:52...and it was literally all uphill. The fourth mile was 9:17! WHAT THE HECK? Yes, I felt like I was going to puke at the end (especially since the last .3 was a steep uphill) and I had to mentally keep talking myself out of just plain stopping, but I have no idea how I did that.

Seriously. What the heck? I just checked, last time I did that loop was a 10:13 pace.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#80 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM

! KERC!

Plady, you are just a wonderful friend and sister and daughter and person. I you and to your SIL and your mom too.

I ran about 4 this AM and now I have my mom "helping" me with some work so I can get some other work done. Sort of like I do with my 6yo.
#81 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Thinking of you and your SIL and kiddos. My Aunt had the same treatment, but she was is NC the entire time and really didn't divulge the details of how she felt during the treatment.... although I know it can be rough.

Quote:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got out for a walk this morning and I'm about 3/4 done with my 100's for the day. I'm looking forward to DH taking me out to Thai tonight.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#82 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM

KERC!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Plady, It's rough, but usually the prognosis is good. I am sending you and

FM: speedwork 3 this morning; the humidity is awful. Ick.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#83 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:

(that's code for best of both worlds: I got the job and they're hiring my friend too!)
whew
#84 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 PM

kerc! - wow that is SO SO SO awesome! what a relief, whew is right!

plady - and i am so sorry to hear that. and really hope the course of action is as painless as it possibly can be.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#85 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
bec ~ I've been wondering about the possibility of stress fracture for you, but didn't want to say anything . Does it hurt all the time, or just when you run? Is there a particularly tender spot on your tibia? Hope your appointment will answer the questions you have and get you on the road to recovery.
It does hurt all the time, and there is a particular spot on my tibia it hurts (which is why I was starting to think fracture as well). The doc thought maybe a muscle tear (am I right, a fracture would be better, right?), but he really didn't sound convinced about that. I made an appointment with the nurse practitioner at the ortho (quicker to get in with her than with the ortho) for Thursday. So, I guess I'm still at square one. I'm aggravated and depressed about it, though.

Plady - I'm so sorry about your SIL. My aunt is having to go through this right now, and I have another friend who just finished treatment. I hope it goes smoothly for her. My understanding is that the radiation is mostly just exhausting, but the chemo can make her really sick, lose her hair, etc. Your support is awesome.

Quote:

This is the BEST thing I've heard all day!!!!

FMR: given how much my leg was hurting after yesterday's hills, I swam today. I used a pull buoy for a lot of it, to take my legs completely out of the equation. I should probably get used to that.

#86 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM

YAY, KERC!!!!!!

plady~ Cancer sucks. Big time. to you and your SIL. And lots and lots of for her. If she's interested, I know my friend Amy would be happy to email and/or talk with her about her experience. She's almost done with the "cancer" part of her treatment and is heading toward reconstruction and back to "normality". LMK if she's interested.

geo~ on your behalf. Since when is a teacher's teaching style "confidential"?? That's a big old load of crapola.

It is a gorgeously sunny day here today. Only problem is the megawind. I do not get what's up with the wind so far this year. I don't remember it every being as consistently windy as it has been recently.

We went out for a run with friends. Holy cripes, I feel so out of shape running with these people any more. I don't really think it's that I've lost *that* much (although I have definitely lost a bit)...it's more that when I started running with them they were all either new to running or recently post-partum, or both. And now they're moving way past me. Which makes me happy for them that they're that good and that fast, but sad for me both that I'm not that fast and that I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep running "with" them. The stroller peanut gallery was in full effect today, too..."mommy, why are you going slow? mommy, why are you resting? mommy, why are you tired? mommy, where did your friends go?" Nonetheless, it was a good run. Probably part of the reason I was so exhausted was from holding just over a 10 minute pace for 4 miles pushing the stroller, with wind. Sheesh.

And still no word back from the lady in admissions about my SSN. I'm trying really hard not to be a pest about this, but hello...I've sent two emails, it's been almost two full business days. And this is holding up the awarding of my financial aid package, so it's kind of a big deal, in my opinion. I guess if I haven't heard anything by the time I get home from track tomorrow morning, I'll escalate it to another phone call and if need be, I'll go down to the admissions office and sit there until someone helps me.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#87 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Driving rain here. I'm glad I got my run in early!

Kerc- How awesome!

Bec- Rest, rest, rest. Do you have another tri coming up? Are you planning on doing it still? Good luck at your next appointment, I hope it is the fastest-healing problem. After about a month of good rest (all lower body) I found lots of walking to be helpful. I still try to walk on my non-run days because I get twingy if I don't...

Plady-
#88 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
bec

It's just a sprint tri, and it's June 13. In the last two weeks, I've only run a mile each week (last week was for Katie's gym thing). But, I have been doing a lot of biking and swimming and strength training.

#89 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 PM

I'm just popping in for a second; I should be making pizza dough.

Plady, I'm so sorry about your SIL. Cancer treatment is really tough. It's lucky that she has you there for her and that you're willing to take her kids if she needs help. I remember my mother-in-law just being totally wiped out; there's no way she could have taken care of small children in the midst of her treatments. I'll be thinking healing thoughts for you.

Kerc, congratulations! What fantastic news, after a long and stressful waiting period. I'm so happy you got the job and can stop being so worried about it. They would have been crazy not to hire you!

No running, lots of itching. Turns out some of my poison ivy was stealthy and showed up today on my neck, face, and midriff.

Maybe tomorrow I'll run. For now, pizza dough....
#90 of 690 Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 PM

kerc--yay!!!!

tjsmama--hopefully we can run together soon. I need a double jogger first, but I'm nice and slow now and I'm sure you're moving much faster than me.

Double jogger question: I was hoping to avoid one, but I think it's the only realistic way to run for a while. I need one with a seat that reclines at least 30 degrees like my Dreamer Design single does. I'm hoping to bid on a used Dreamer Design double, but two other people have also bid on it so who knows how that will go. In the meantime I'm browsing craigslist and ebay for doubles by BOB, Baby Jogger or Dreamer Design. Are there other brands that you would recommend? TIA!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page