Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry for your loss, Nic.

DS (and therefore I) didn't get up until 8:30 this morning. I needed that. And we just got back from an hour and half run that he spent in the stroller and he promptly laid down on the couch and said "I'm tired."

rr~8 miles with stroller and dog. It makes me really sad that I'm back to the point where 8 miles is a long run. It completely boggles my mind that I was able to run 26.2 just a few short months ago. Oh well. It was one of those runs where it felt like there was a headwind both ways, DS was backseat driving and yelled at me for failing to stop at the stop signs on the trail (Dude. Inertia. I am NOT stopping and starting that stroller when there is no cross traffic!), and I spent the last mile+ pushing a completely flat tire for a little extra resistance. It was still a pretty darn good run, though, 10:18 pace. Of course, I'd *really* like to run my 10k in 3 weeks at 9 minute pace, but somehow I doubt that's gonna happen. Debating whether to take an ice bath. I really should, but I don't wanna.

Smilies from DS:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#182 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 03:41 PM

RR: a good 8m! It was cool and windy but my pace felt pretty steady and no real pain. I need to do yoga really faithfully for the next week to stay feeling that good, but I'm excited for my half next Sunday.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#183 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
bec

Awesome, Penelope!!! You are going to have fun.

Gaye - I found that the stroller was worth at least a mile per minute added to my time. You may just get that 9:00 pace!

So, after seeing the scan, I am pretty convinced that it's a healing fracture. There was this big dark spot around the point of pain. The tech said, "Yep, there's a bunch of uptake going on there." Whatever that means. I'm assuming it means, "You broke your leg, dummy." I'll hopefully hear more on Monday.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#184 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Hiya dingoes, so behind here, but am reading along. Such a busy time of year with grading papers, meetings, etc. So glad when it's all over, though... Going to the UK on Thursday.

Bec, I have stress fractured my rib, rowing, a couple of times. I was slow to heal but it sounds as though you are doing quite well. Hope that you are near to being healed.

Jaygee - hope dh is in a better mood and that you're swimming as I type.

Nic

What has happened to my sweet baby boy??! He has turned into a little toddler overnight and he is only 10 months. In just one week he has developed this willful, though funny personality, but it's exhausting. What a time for us to flying home.

Some running and some rowing... BUT I just entered my first triathlon! It's just a sprint tri - but I am excited. It's not until September so plenty of time, right?, to improve my lousy swimming!

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#185 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Yay, Alex!!! I'm just warning you, though...you're gonna be hooked!

bec~Yep, I'd bet the farm on a fracture. Uptake means that the cells in that area are taking in a lot more blood supply than the surrounding area which is one of the signs of an inflammatory response/healing reaction. Especially given the fact that it was exactly where your pain is. Good news, I guess.

I did take the ice bath, and my legs are grateful now. Once again, kind of sad that I need an ice bath after 8 miles, but oh well. If I can just get through the marathon in October, I swear to all that's holy I will give them a good long break from running. I promise. Just stick with me for 5 more months, legs, please!

I ran about 17 bazillion errands this afternoon, including picking up my Bolder Boulder race packet (they have our names on them this year, kind of cool), attempting to rent skis for DS for tomorrow only to find out that the shop in town stops renting skis in the middle of April (oops), and hitting the tent sale at the bike shop where I picked up a new pair of tri shorts for 40% off. Now to get DS to bed so I can make rice krispie treats to take to tomorrow's ski party/picnic.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#186 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Hello Dingoes! So after about a year and a half of BFNs, I woke up to find this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_0824.jpg

Now what?? My friend and I ran 9 miles on Wednesday (a record!) in 1:20. The half marathon is on Father's Day (June 20). Do I have to stop running?

I wonder what I will tell people if I have to drop out of the marathon... they won't know about the pregnancy until the first tri is over, assuming all goes well.

(The fact that I'm training for a marathon is a *really big deal* to everyone around me, especially my coworkers. You'd think I was scaling Mt. Everest, they're so in awe of what I'm doing!)

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#187 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Congrats, OSB!!!!

Keep in mind that I personally have never run while pregnant, but others here certainly have. I would keep running, just stay really conscious of your body, slow down if you need to, walk more often if you need to. Listen to what your body says and you should be fine. I have a friend on Dailymile who just finished a full marathon a couple of weeks after finding out she was pregnant. She just slowed down and ran a 5 hour marathon instead of her normal 4 hour pace.

#188 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 PM

OMG, OSB! You must be thrilled! I have absolutely no advice. I don't think I could do it, but everyone's experience with pregnancy is unique. There are mamas here who have finished while pg...I believe even some who finished and didn't know they were. Mamabeth? Anyway, so happy for your family.

Plans to run tomorrow morning, as long as my legs will go. Have not run in two days and I am having withdrawal leg pain.

My house is clean and a dear friend made us a gorgeous dinner of homemade pizza and sweetcorn tonight. Yum. And cheesecake for dessert. So, um, yeah. Running tomorrow. *cough cough*
#189 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 PM

OSB, congratulations!!! What awesome news.

I'd call your OB/midwife and ask for advice. Mine would have said no, since I have asthma, but marathoner Paula Radcliffe ran into her second trimester, although at a slower pace than usual.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#190 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 11:49 PM
bec

Oh, OSB!!!!!! I am just jumping for joy for you!

My understanding is that, you may keep doing the exercises you are currently doing, but nothing new. You are already running, so I don't see any reason to stop. I think Gaye had great advice about listening to your body, though.

In the meantime, have a happy and healthy pregnancy!!!!!

I got my 3rd day of 100s done!

#191 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm way behind here. After cancelling the Directv several months ago, DH finally figured out how to watch shows online and now I barely get any time to use the darn thing.

kerc - so happy and relieved for you!

OSB - congratulations! You must be so excited! I ran through my 1st pregnancy. I didn't run as much then as I do now, only about 10-15 miles/week, but I felt fine keeping it up as long as I slowed down. There's no way I would have had the energy for a marathon, but everybody's different.

Gaye - wow, there's stop signs on your trail? I've never heard of that.

rr: 12 miles in full on taper mode. Completely overflowing with doubts/anxiety/aches/pains/freak outs/OMG, I need knee replacements they suddenly hurt so bad that I'm limping/etc.

What does everyone do about car boosters? Do you let DC out of it as soon as they are allowed per the law or do you keep them in until they're the recommended 4'9"?
#192 of 690 Old 05-08-2010, 11:55 PM

OSB, congrats! I haven't been pregnant yet but I just read an article about Paula Radcliffe and Kara Goucher who are both expecting and still doing pretty intense workouts. I know a lot of people keep up what they're doing as long as they're feeling ok.

kerc, congrats!!!!!!

bec, sorry to hear about the fracture

Nic, sorry about your loss

Alex, yay for signing up for your tri!

rr: Raced a 5K today. PRed (22:53) despite downpours. Ran 3 before and 4 after for 10 total on the day. My mom had a great race too, her first and she ran the whole way and finished in 32:30, I'm so proud of her! She's already signed up for another 5K and a 10K.

Last LR of marathon training tomorrow.
#193 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Thanks everyone

I actually didn't find this thread until today (I was subbing April's thread, and never looked for one for May!) so I have some catching up to do.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#194 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Ha! I was just coming to post the article about Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliffe. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/sp...9marathon.html

cfg~It's a trail that runs along an irrigation canal that goes all the way from a reservoir in the far southwest corner of the metro area to the northeast plains. So it runs diagonally through the city. So there are a lot of street crossings. He also yelled at me for not stopping at a stop sign at an intersection right near home...I convinced him that that stop sign was for cars, not people.

ashcav~Awesome PR! You're so speedy!

#195 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 12:36 AM

Wow, great article. Thanks!

#196 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 AM

OSB Such good news for you! Every woman responds differently to each pregnancy. I have tried to run during a couple of pregnancies and not been up to it over the long haul but others do. It is the morning sickness and fatigue that gets me.

jo, I had cheesecake last night too. I blame ashcav. I'll be running this morning but just a short 6 miles or so.

I'd better go find some winter running gear so I can run this morning!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#197 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 AM

OSB: We need a pregnant dingo around these parts to keep it lively. I think you can do it. My "LONGEST" run is 10 miles before the half on the 20th of June. If you dial back and do 2-3 runs + a long run before the half, I think you can make it. Why not do it and just walk if you can't run? Then again what do I know. I was running the week before Leah was born (2 mile run, not 13) and I had a VERY large belly.

Holy crapamole. We went to the mall of america yesterday. Blech. My husband works near there and drives down every weekend to teach a 3 hour class(perhaps worked! since the semester is over) . The girls and I rode along. We hit the zoo in the am, picked up Erik and did trader joes, rei and the mall. I wanted to do some shopping for specific items: sun hats for my girls, swimsuits (lands end outlet) for my girls, shoes for me, sweater for me, etc. HOLY people. We got everything we needed to for the kidlets, had a fun time at the zoo, Erin climbed the rock wall at rei for the first time, and both girls rode on a merry go round (Erin's been on one in San Francisco but has no memory). Got home late last night, I was tired to say the least. Leah wakes me up, "Mama, can we go canoeing today?"

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#198 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
bec

I was just coming here to post about the Kara Goucher/Paula Radcliff article! I love my Dingos. My friend texted it to me this morning.

So, my husband has been cooking breakfast all morning. Biscuits and bacon, but is made with so much love I am not going to be able to resist! My children have been showering me with love, too.

#199 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 AM

OSB
Bec-sounds like you are happy with what you are hearing from the Dr and will be able to keep running--did I get that right?

Tjsmama--I am so impressed with your running with the jogger.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE DINGOS

Dh 3rd interview went well--won't know till next week. Please keep the coming. This mama is tired...but hopeful.
#200 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Happy Mothers Day everyone!

OSB - congrats

cold, nasty weekend here. no forward motion to report from yesterday, and friday some technical difficulties prevented me from riding. All told, I think it's okay because i think I'm still tired from last weekend. But today I will ride. Unfortunately, it's going to be on the trainer because it's snowing outside and 40* and I am not going to freeze my poor feet again.

Yesterday I got a chicken coop for mothers day and three baby chicks. We were going to make the coop, but I realized that it just wouldn't happen and found a good price for one on craigslist - think it was a good choice.

just turned the heat back on. bring on summer!
#201 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 11:48 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
Bec-sounds like you are happy with what you are hearing from the Dr and will be able to keep running--did I get that right?
I haven't actually heard from the doc yet. This is all supposition based on a cryptic comment from the tech, and on what I saw on the screen. I think I'll be able to return to running soon, though. That's my thought. I'm going to blame pushing the pace too much on a slightly sandy surface on very old orthotics as being the final straw to that camel's back (or camel's tibia, as the case may be).

I got showered with MD poems and pictures. The breakfast was yummy, if not entirely healthy. Katie made me a picture of her and I running in the rain to the finish line of a race (one of our best runs together turned into a downpour).

#202 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Congrats OvenWithBun!

Got a M-day ride with C and DH, complete with sitter. It's chilly out there.
#203 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 PM

OSB- CONGRATS!!! I say go with how you feel for running. With my first, I was fatigued just by getting out of bed. With my second, I was pulling a 3 year old up a sledding hill a million times a day until the day I delivered. It just depends.

I think I've pulled a muscle in my back. I am still stiff, sore, and having a lot of pain when I move. Tomorrow I see my chiro just to make sure things are ok on that front and then it's gentle yoga and walking for a week or two.

I just printed out the deferral form for my 10K. I was training to finish, at best. With a week of disappointing runs and I am guessing at least another week before I get any type of run in, I just don't think I can do it. I am glad they have the option to defer until next year, but I'm sad I won't be running.

We are likely going to pick up the dog tomorrow. The shelter was closed yesterday due to an employee's wedding. I'm glad we had some time to think about what we wanted to do, and I feel good about getting this guy.

New name: Dick Tracey.
#204 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

OSB! What exciting news! I wasn't a runner at the time, but was teaching step aerobics classes pre-pregnancy and continued either teaching or taking classes until the day she was born. From a provider perspective, we encourage every single woman we work with (mind you, these are are normal, healthy women planning homebirths) to do some kind of exercise at least 5x a week as part of their preparation for birth. As your shape changes, your belly gets bigger and your joints start to get more flexible things will feel very different, but the key is listening to your body.

RR: I almost let my teammates talk me into walking with them- it was a gorgeous day, they were a fun group- but I bucked it up and ran it by myself. It was an hour drive into the city, I got there to find out that the bathrooms at the start weren't available....um, what the heck? I didn't have enough time to make it to one of the others before the start and had to pee. Badly. The good news is that their timing system was less than scientific, so I decided to go with my Garmin time and gave myself permission to take a pee break when we hit the first restrooms. Obviously, so did everyone else, because the 6 stalls were full of runners- dash in, pee, dash out I stopped the garmin while I was in the bathroom, knowing full well that was cheating but blaming the race organizers who couldn't get it together.

I tried not to look at my garmin too much, so after the pee break I paced myself with runners who looked about my speed. After about a mile of that I glanced down at the wrist and did a double take at the pace at that moment. Slowed it down a bit, but definitely pushed it the entire way. Crossed the finish with an announced time of 30:02 and a garmin time of 28:21. Considering that I went into it with the outside hope of finishing under 30, needless to say I'm incredibly pleased. As soon as I finished I turned around and walked back to meet my walking friends and finish with the group, which added about another mile to my day, but gave me a chance to give a smile to a whole bunch of runners finishing behind me.

My plan for Mother's day was to start with a run, but my legs really don't feel like it this morning, so instead I'm lazing on the couch while the girls shower and pondering what to do with a 70 degree Seattle day. Hmmmmm....

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#205 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone!

#206 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM

Having a bit of a crazy day here. Started with the loss of a lamb. Then I get an email from dh that he wants me to go see some guy about a tractor. I have neither the time nor the money for it, but I'll go and see him later this week, if he doesn't sell it before then. Note: If you are half a world away, don't kill time on your local CL and send notes to your spouse to inquire and follow up.

I ran 8mi with RP outside. It was really hard, for some reason, though by the end I was feeling OK and could have gone farther. But we were out of time anyway.

Now I realize that ds still needs some stuff for a school project this week, so I need to go back to town for poster-making supplies. Blech. And tomorrow is soccer game night, with both kids playing at the same time in two parks about a mile from each other.

No, I have not called my mom. Going to, maybe while I pull nettle.
#207 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Congratulations OSB!!!! I've "tried" to run each time I was pregnant, but the nausea was too overwhelming.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

I'm in a major league funk. DD2 keeps yelling at me. DH has been away all day for commissioning. I took the kids shopping and it was a colossal parade of "I want" and "Buy me" . And my hip pain is completely out of control (knee feels great though...) It hurts to even just hobble through my day. Back to the orthopedic surgeon, again. WTF is wrong with my body???? I just want to curl up on the couch and cry.

And I don't know why I find this so annoying, but DS just went down to his friend's house to see if she could play, but she said she was busy.... watching a Scooby Doo marathon. For Pete's sake, it's a gorgeous Sunday afternoon .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#208 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM
bec

Got my 100's in!

And, thank you Jo for reminding me to call my mom! She is out of town at a show, and I had to leave a message on my dad's cell phone, but it's the thought, right?

#209 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 PM

was it someone from here that wanted the COCONUT M-N-M'S ??
#210 of 690 Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 PM

Nic--I'm so sorry about your mentor's death. It sounds like you were very close and he really had a huge effect on your life.

OvenSeeksBun--Congrats again! I hope you'll find a way to make the running work, if that's what you decide to do. I wasn't running while pregnant, but was waiting tables, full-time during my first pregnancy, and never had any trouble being on my feet for six hours a day. In fact, it kept my weight decent and I never had swollen ankles or feet. I continued right up until my due date, two days before I actually gave birth.

Tomorrow is the day. Tomorrow I shall stop eating crap (orange cookies with orange frosting, grrr) and I shall start running again. And join the 100 club, because the peer pressure is just too intense to miss out.

Happy Mother's Day to all; I hope you had a good one. We spent the past couple of days with my parents, which I love to do. My dad, especially, misses seeing the kids so he always does fun things with them when we visit. This morning he took them on a flashlight adventure. They looked under all of the furniture and under the stove and fridge to find all of the lost cat toys, then went up into the attic to explore.

Meanwhile, I was at church with my mom and my grandmother, listening to my grandmother's increasing lack of tact and self-censoring (is this just something that happens to old people? Is there something going on in my grandmother's brain? She's being nasty to my mom, which gets my protective instincts going). And the sermon was crummy, to boot. I'm always a little edgy being at my mom's church; it's much more Bible-y and folksy than mine. Dinner out was nice, though.

Have a great evening! I'll catch up more tomorrow when I'm back to being a real running Dingo again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page