Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 690 Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, my jo. That granola sounds fabulous (except for the coconut, yuck! ). I mean, mine's pretty darn good and all, but chocolate chips and cherries?! Stupid question of the day...how do you do the coconut oil? I just bought some last week b/c it was on sale and I've heard such good things about it, but it's solid. So do you just warm it up to liquefy it before measuring and using?

On the goodie bags...I totally hear ya. Let me reassure you that I do NOT do crappy cheap toys. I did do a very small amount of candy last year (like A tootsie pop in each bag), but I try to stick to things the kids will actually use/play with like small bottles of bubbles and stickers. I hate goodie bags full of cheap crap (that in actuality probably added up to a ridiculously expensive amount). If I do anything, it'll be pretty small, trust me!

I think I've decided that I will go with the fire museum. I think you're all right that the stress of having the party at home just is not worth it. Hopefully they still have the date/time I want still available tomorrow!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#242 of 690 Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 PM

I belatedly vote for the fire museum, too, Gaye.

And Jo, the cherries are dried, right, not fresh? I suspect this will get made in my house this week.

However, I didn't run today, so I will have to get a run or two under my belt this week before making granola! I just didn't have time. Tomorrow.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#243 of 690 Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Jo--I'm sorry about the lamb; what a bummer to lose a little one.

Gaye--Fire station museum party will be awesome! It sounds like it will perfectly suit your purposes.

Plady--I'm so sorry you're having conflict over your schedule. If I were you, I'd be really reluctant to give up the TKD, too. It sounds like it's something that centers you, which I think is super-important for a parent. When I'm doing something for myself, I feel much more cheerful about the things I'm constantly doing for others.

Oh, and I totally wish I were at that awesome pirate party! I keep sort-of promising DD a party this summer, then I start getting anxiety thinking about it. We'll see if she pressures me into making it happen.

Nic--I hope you're doing okay. Will there be a memorial or anything for your mentor that you could attend?

I'm back in the club, ladies. Woke up and ran this morning, then came home and remembered to take my molasses and vitamin C. I got off of it during April vacation when I visited my parents, and for the past couple of weeks I've been absolutely useless in the afternoons and evenings. So groggy and listless. I really think the molasses help. Or maybe it's the running. Something has given me tons of energy today. I even joined club 100. Sit-ups and squats were fine, but the push-ups are going to kill me. I might not be able to move my arms tomorrow.

Okay, shutting down now in the hopes I can finish my book (Sense and Sensibility) and then crawl into bed. Just in time to do it all over again tomorrow.
#244 of 690 Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 PM

The whole booster thing only recently really started to bother DD. Ya know, now that she's 10 and feeling so worldly and mature and acting more and more puberty-ish every day. Yikes. Thankfully I don't have to fight the bike helmet since that's the law here.

We just have our parties at the park. No cleaning necessary and it's free.

jo - I missed that about your lamb earlier. So sorry to hear it.
#245 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 AM

Just skimming but,

Plady: your DH is out of line. Ditto what others have said about "babysitting," and as far as your family seeing you as leaving to have time to yourself: it's a good message for them to have. Kids need to grow up thinking that it's ok to have some time for yourself and some time working and some time being with your family.

I could write a book on that topic, but I'll save it.

OSB: congrats! I tried to run both times. I think I managed three runs with pregnant with R before I was sidelined by hyperemesis. With J, I ran 8 miles the day I suspected I was pregnant, and then she/the hyperemesis never let me take another step out the door until after she was born. Power to you if you can do it!

My good news: I got a new Garmin (305) and love it!

The rest of the day has been spent arguing with DH. And it's not over.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#246 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM

RR: 4 nice miles this morning. I'm preaching in chapel so always good to get some anxiety worked out first.

And I'm teaching my last week before finals, sigh and whew and relief.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#247 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM

I am so disappointed in dd1. And her teacher for that matter. They have a huge project due today that they were not allowed to work on at home at all. Fine, but she takes forever to do her work and her teacher knows that. The slowness is something we have been working on. I do not fully understand the issue and I have been instructed to back off (by dh). I am not a slow person but she is. She is slow at everything, She is slow at wiping her butt. She has been staying after school to work on it. Everything is done but her speech that she has to give today. She knows the information cold but the speech is unprepared. She left late for school after I got home walking dd2 to school because she was slow putting her underwear on or something equally frustrating. It was thunderstorming and I wouldn't let her take my umbrella as I need it. She had a raincoat but not her umbrella. Dh is intent on her learning from some consequences all around. I am tired of the stress she puts on us this way but I doubt she "learns her lesson" by losing her perfect attendance award, her straight A's/honor roll due to one stupid project, and sitting at school wet all day upset about it. I really don't have the time to play helicopter parent as I have a LLL meeting in one hour that isn't prepared yet plus 2 little ones to dress and feed before then. Then there is the teen I am still homeschooling. Not to mention a very messy (in so many ways) last day of running club with the k-5th graders before the big race, Girls on the Run, swim team practice, soccer, and any meals or housework I might need to attend to. I guess I should go do some of it.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#248 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM

Plady - i don't think you should give up TKD.

Gaye - the firetruck museum sounds perfect.

Small birthday parties are the secret for us. it's hard to not invite everyone, but last year we had two kiddos over and DS said it was the best birthday yet. The park is also a great idea, but the prep work is still big.

Here's something cool, yesterday we had our 'Give Back Day' at work. This is a community service day that replaced our company picnic day this year. We went and worked on the grounds of a summer camp for kids with cancer. It was really nice and way more fun and meaningful than a picnic or our old 'ski day'. And the camp is trying to move into a new facility and really needed our volunteer help. I spent all day building flower beds and was utterly exhausted when I finally got home. In bed at 8:01, slept the whole night through.

DS is slightly sick today, enough that he would probably get sent home from school so I'm just going to work from home with him today and recover from my gardening.

Having a bit of an anxiety attack (manifests in an eczema outbreak and allergic reaction type thing). I think it's because last week our new cycling clothes came in - but sized really wrong. Way too small. And then one of our team members was having some freak outs and being pretty mean to me. And now this. Good news is that the anxiety-inducing events seem to be resolving, so hopefully it'll be past soon.

First ladies mtn bike ride of the season tonight. Not sure who will be there, but i'm looking forward to riding.
#249 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM
bec

Gaye - Definitely Firestation!!!

On goody bags/birthday parties - I am still doing them for the younger two dd's, but got away with no goody bags for the 9 year old! For the little ones, their birthdays are very close together, so I combine them, and throw a large party for them. I rent a Park District building for about $50 and then come up with a bunch of games/crafts, cake and done. The goody bags usually have a mini pad of paper, crayons or a cool mini pen, stickers or a tattoo, or bubbles. I don't do plastic crap toys, and I don't do candy. For the combined party, I probably spend around $150-200, which I figure pretty reasonable, considering I'm getting both kids taken care of! Katie's party this year was $40 of bowling, and the fixings for mini-pizzas and a $15 ice cream cake. So, probably under $100. No goody bags, and many fewer kids! It was lovely!

So, I had tri class last night, and we were doing a snake swim sort of competitive thing in the pool last night. We would swim down a lane (trying to pass the people in front of us), duck under the lane marker, then swim back, duck and swim back again. We did this like 12-15 times. It turned into about 45 minutes of sprinting. Somehow, even though I was using a pool buoy and not kicking, it was aggravating to the leg. I think I was pointing my toes too much, kicking off the wall too hard, or something. I also got a snide comment from someone about how they wished they could use a pool buoy. Anyway, my arms are pretty tired this morning. I'm going to head to the pool again today, but I'm going to take it easy on the speed. Slow and steady is going to be what today is about!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#250 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

: Thank you ladies, y'all are the BEST.
And you're all right of course. Happily DH was right there with you when I suggested that I give up TKD too. He was all , "Dd is totally playing you! That would be the best thing ever in her mind, you stay home and I'm banned from TV!" And he pointed out that although one night he did eat in front of the news he also spent hours that week playing soccer and flying kites with them which is true and which is typical but which dd had carefully not mentioned. She totally plays me like this and I really hate it. It makes me feel so stupid and then I second guess everything. I feel like I'm constantly flopping back and forth from overreacting to not reacting enough. And it's a drama with anything she doesn't like, like that labor scene she did complete with seizure-style flopping and shrieking over the cut on her finger. All I can say is, THANK GOD FOR MY DINGOS!
Dh is still on the hook for use of the word 'babysitting' but he does get points for scoffing at the idea of me quitting tkd. So

Gaye - I was the "Team Captain" lift op for that kids' chair at A Basin, I remember many a spring day enviously watching those killer beach parties. And that Firetruck Museum = Perfect Idea.

GMM - Oh dear, I hope the clothes can be resized, nothing sounds worse than too small biking gear, it's small enough to begin with! to you and ds.

Mommajb - Oh my heavens mama! I can only shake my head in wonder at the level of complexity in your schedule!

Jo - I can't believe you posted that recipe so clearly!!!! How am I not going to go off and buy all the ingredients I need when they are now lodged firmly in my head that way?

I have to get myself off the sugar nip too.

I did my 100s yesterday in TKD. The instructor was feeling sick so he told us to warm up however we wanted to so I figured I might as well get it done then and there. I think it was good to feel like I was being watched because I busted out all 100 push-ups regulation style and then added kicks to the squats. After taking the whole weekend off it felt really good.

Lala - It was a fun party to go to but I'd hate to have felt the need to put it on. Whatever will they top that with next year? And they just had a baby so they'll need to throw one for each. Just nuts! But fun for innocent bystanders!

Real - Peace vibes coming to you and your dh, I'm sorry you're going through hard times.

Bec - to the commentator. Even competitive training drills should be about you vs you. You aren't taking anything away from them regardless of what tools you use for yourself.

Okay, today I need to get some sort of run in and then this evening lifeguard training begins. Does anyone know how physical that is? I'm not sure how much energy I ned to save for later. All I know is that we have to pick up the 10 lb weight from the bottom and as I could do that easily as a kid I'm assuming it'll still be easy. !

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#251 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Gee bec, maybe your commentator would like a stress fracture too ....

Plady ~ glad you and DH figured out the issue. Sounds like DD is playing the Mom v. Dad game.

No time for more. Off to PT .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#252 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Hey, Dingos. No Fm here this week, just lots of yoga. I am feeling better, I feel pretty sure it was a pulled back muscle.

We put in an application for the dog. Then last night, DH started talking about how he wasn't sure he even wants a dog.

So, that's that. We're waiting to hear from the Humane Society, and waiting for DH to make up his mind.
#253 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Plady, I am so embarrassed to admit that I can't even do a girly style pushup. If I get serious about the 100s I am going to have to start by doing them on the wall. : How sad is that? I have never had any upper body strength. Anyway, glad it all worked out with the tkd and I feel your pain with the DD issue. I didn't realize that the info on DH eating in front of the tv was coming from her and not him.

Nemesis, good luck on the dog situation.

Mommajb, hang in there, I hope the day gets easier.

Didn't run last night. Fighting a cold and feel dead on my feet today.

#254 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Hi Again! It's me - the newbie! I can't keep up with you all but I hope you don't mind me posting about my workouts. Keeps me motivated, you know!? Plus reading about your 100s and your runs is inspiration!

Last night, I had my second to last boot camp workout. We did 100s of each of 10 exercises with a sprinted lap around the track between each exercise. I couldn't finish all 10 in an hour, but I tried. I ended up doing 400 pushups (wide grip, tricep, regular, and diamond but all girly style) and 300 situps. Plus a lot of sprinting. I have scabby knees and I am so sore but it was a real challenge! Kind of discouraging that I didn't finish but I only started working out 5 weeks ago so I can't really complain.

Next week, I start to run a bit more. Not sure what my training plan will look like just yet.

Thanks for letting me share
#255 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM

RR: ran 2 on the TM, when I started teh right knee felt "iffy" but through the run it lossened up and felt fine. Upper body weights too. Hoping to get some yoga in today too, we'll see.
#256 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jend1002 View Post
Hi Again! It's me - the newbie! I can't keep up with you all but I hope you don't mind me posting about my workouts. Keeps me motivated, you know!? Plus reading about your 100s and your runs is inspiration!
That's how we all started. And now some of us know each other IRL too and some of us work in front of a computer all day long.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Plady, I am so embarrassed to admit that I can't even do a girly style pushup. If I get serious about the 100s I am going to have to start by doing them on the wall.
I'm at 40 girly pushups on day 4 of the thing. But I'm sore. really sore.

I'm coming here to b*tch about my work schedule for fall. I'm not happy. blech. I should be happy because of the professor thing and all, except that the class I just got assigned is being stuck right at the time I wanted to pick dd2 up from preschool. On the other hand: I have a job and I have a good daycare right down the street (3 houses down) from preschool. We will all survive. I just struggle with this whole work/mama balance thing, KWIM?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#257 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
bec

A mile in the pool, and I was very careful about the leg. The soreness I felt this morning is gone, so I'm hoping it keeps progressing. I have done half of my 100s. I'll do the other half later.

#258 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM

100's are done for the day. I am zapped on energy though - it's rainy and gloomy and I just want some sun!

bec ~ Glad the leg is better.

kerc ~

jend ~

nemesis ~ Good luck with the dog!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#259 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM

RR: 4mi on the elliptical between 18 & 20 resistance, followed by abs and squats with weights. Hope for bicycle crunches later, maybe some planks. Going to work early tomorrow, since my kids have early dismissal. So I hope to figure out something around noon. TM, I guess.

A colleague quit without notice this week.

Did I mention the cat is working out great? Yup.
#260 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
bec

Ok, just let me vent here for a moment, or I'm going to explode at various children! I watch a neighbor girl before and after school. It's usually not a chore. She's 8 and is my kids' best friend. I'm helping her mom out, who's recently single, and recently (as in the last 6 months) started working again after almost a year on unemployment. She has a lot on her plate, emotionally, and is not the most tuned in with her kid. Anyway, in order to ease her burden a bit, keep our family routine intact, and help her daughter, I oversee homework every day. This is usually not a problem. But, the last two days, both Katie and this girl have been driving me up a WALL with the homework! It's like they are staging a slow down on it, and just taking forever to do it, not trying, guessing, or just claiming they "don't get it." Seriously, this child just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what the number after 789 was! Counting has never been anything other than easy peasy for her. Now, she's doing the same thing with her spelling sentences. She's misspelling words that she was tested on (and got right) 2 weeks ago! My child just spent an hour splitting up 18 contractions, so I'm none to pleased with her, either.

CHILDREN - It's not my fault that there is another month of school!!!!

Ok, /vent

#261 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM

plady~I didn't know you'd worked at A-Basin! That's awesome!

bec~Um, because swimming with a pull buoy is somehow easier? All it does is transfer all the work to your upper body instead! I'd tell her to go shove it next time!

eks~I can barely do girly push-ups. I'm always embarrassed when we do push-ups at the spin/pilates class I go to and I hope that nobody's looking at me. I should really get on board this with all the rest of you...

Ok, seriously. We are forecast to get a foot or more of SNOW tomorrow! We won't have that much on the ground since it's been warm and it'll be melting off as it hits, but STILL. Are you freaking kidding me? It's the middle of May! Good thing I didn't head to the garden store as originally planned yesterday afternoon to get the stuff for my balcony garden.

I booked the fire museum. It's kind of interesting...you have to clean up after yourself and bring your own trash bag and take the trash with you...they apparently don't have any place to dispose of it. And you get 2 hours, but you can't get in until the beginning of that time, and you have to be out completely (including clean-up) by the end of it, so I guess the party itself will only be an hour and a half! Now to find a cute fire truck t-shirt for DS to wear for the party. Of course, they're usually super easy to find, but none of the usual suspects seem to have any kind of fire trucks in their spring/summer lines. I've found a few on cafe press, but they seem kind of expensive ($14) for a plain white t-shirt with an iron-on. Anybody seen anything lately?

rr~Well, run attempt number one was a no go. I went to meet friends at our usual Tuesday morning run spot, but nobody showed. I was going to go by myself, but the stroller tire was still flat (even though it has a goo tube in it and should have resealed). I ended up just walking with a friend who was going to walk while the rest of us ran. So, I ended up going for a run from home after I dropped DS off at school. It was weird...I hadn't gone that route in a long time b/c it's all grass/dirt with some obstacles (so I can't take the stroller on it) and it was torn up all last summer because they were doing irrigation work. It was a nice run, although of course there was a headwind the whole way back. And there's just something entirely wrong about having to run in long sleeves and tights and a fleece and gloves on May 11!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#262 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Is there anybody around to give me a boot or give me permission not to run? I haven't run since Friday, but I have a scratchy throat, cough, and feel like death warmed over in terms of tiredness. If I had run more recently I would definitely skip since I'm only aiming for 3x per week right now. It doesn't help that it's freaking 57 degrees outside (yes, I think that is cold, I know it's not for some of you!).

Somebody either tell me to quit whining or lie down!

#263 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Lie down!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#264 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
bec

Lie down, Eks. Don't run and then get yourself sick (er)!

#265 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Lie down. Now!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#266 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
oh dingos, what a horrible, horrible day. My friend, on trial for attempted murder, was found guilty. I was with her yesterday with my best friend whilst the jury deliberated, and this morning we went back to sit with her. The jury asked to hear the 911 call again, which was horrifying and sad. We listened to a call between her and her husband whereby he tried to extract a confession (she didn't know she was being taped). it was so sad to hear, and no evidence AT ALL, and so we're all shocked that 12 people convicted her on only circumstantial evidence. It makes no sense.

My friend and I are the only people who have stood by her. Completely despairing is how we all feel... They shacked her and away she went to await her sentencing.

Cannot believe it.

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#267 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 PM

How awful, zub.

Bec- I totally understand. Hopefully they get back on track soon!

Eks- Lie down!

As for me. Nothing yet. I'm feeling good and down a few pounds from the sugar detoxing I've been doing. I can't wait for a glass of wine on Friday, though.
Visited the dog again. Things are looking good. Now we have to go through the process with the management company and see where we are then.
#268 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Oh Zub, . That is just horrific. Praying she finds peace somehow.

Gaye, sometimes CWDkids has shirts like that but they can be pricey. It's kind of a 'grandma' present. Maybe a grandma wants to buy a present?

Wow, it's been an eventful few days. I am still very sad and unsettled over my mentor's passing. I know it sounds a little silly since we really haven't been in close contact for a decade, but we did keep in touch and he recently had sent me an email. I am hoping to go to St. Louis for his memorial whenever it is.

Saturday we went to the beach with my co-teacher and her son. It was really fun, but despite many applications of sunscreen, my dd1 got a major burn, the first of her life. Poor baby.

Saturday evening I had a really nice solo long run, 8 miles. The evening run was a lot nicer than my morning runs have been, maybe the sun had a chance to burn off some of the humidity? It wasn't cool but there was a nice breeze and no direct sunlight. The last part of the run was pitch dark but still felt nice and peaceful. I am feeling so very sluggish lately. My rp is really not running much at all, just the 3 miles we do together 3 times a week (and I usually add on another 1.5 at least two of those days) and she is super slow. I hate to say it but it really is dragging me down because I feel so bad one-stepping her. But at some point I lose my mojo entirely and just feel like quitting. Not good. It's better when I challenge myself a bit.

Sunday dh went out early and did a practice run of his triathlon (which is this Saturday) and then he came home and we went out for brunch. My kids made me lovely cards and a beaded yarn necklace and dh got us tickets to see Wicked on Broadway when we are up north this summer! I have been wanting to see that for a while so that is nice. I am going up for around 6 weeks; he'll be up the week of July 3 and that is the week we're going up to Boston, so the night we get back to NJ my parents will babysit and we can go into NYC for a nice date night out and the show.

Then the rest of Sunday I took myself to the mall and got a pedicure, with neon purple polish. I also went to JCPenney and got all my kids board shorts and rash guards with UPF. I had to buy the girls shorts made for boys because they don't make nice long ones for girls -- but at least florals are 'in' for the surfer dudes so I was able to get turquoise floral prints which is sort of girly. FYI those items are half price right now which is a good deal ($11.99/piece).

Have been really busy with work this week, and am trying to plan curriculum for next year. Monday and Tuesday both had decent runs.

That is all for now. Off to supervise homework.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#269 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Zub I can't imagine how your friend must be feeling.
#270 of 690 Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Zub, I am so sorry. Will she appeal? Did she have good counsel? Holding you, and her, and all her loved ones in prayer.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page