Dingos Run, Skip and Jump - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Spring and Welcome to the May Running, Walking, Skipping, Limping, Thinking-about-running Thread!

Quote:
Dingo n. An MDC mama (or soon-to-be mama, or mama in her heart) with the desire to move forward at a run or walk. She supports her fellow dingo in each dingo's quest to find balance and reason in her life.

Requirements to become a dingo: Posting on this thread goals for the day, week, month, year, or decade. OK if starting couch to 5k or running and ultra marathon.

Identifying features of a dingo: Posts often here, facebook, daily mile. Starts to get antsy during extended time off for injury or sickness. Found on the road, on the dreadmill, in the pool, or on a bike.
Welcome one and all, neither shirt nor shoes required!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#2 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Serial Posting while nobody has subbed in yet because, as always, I forgot to sub in myself!

This morning I'm trying to track Dh who is running the Vancouver 1/2 Mary. He's running on someone else's bib which I know some consider a big but the original runner broke her foot (and she's not as hardcore as certain dingos we know - towsonmama!) and neither of them are in any danger of winning so I think it's okay. But the live tracking either hasn't started working yet or it's glitched out and isn't going to because it hasn't picked up any of our local runners yet. Oh well.
In any case I don't see much FM in my future today. Dd is in the final throes of a sleepover and I'm debating whether or not to do church. I kind of don't feel like it but it would be a simple way to end the playdate and resume normal scheduling.

Poppy - You okay?

#3 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Hope your dh has a good race, Plady!

Good morning, I got up at 6 to run this am but ended up back in bed instead. Just too tired, ipod wasn't charged, had a headache etc ... I'll have to do it this evening when it cools down a little, luckily it's a cutback week so it's 12 miles rather than like 18 or 20. Now I'm at the mall waiting for stores to open, I already spent time at Target and spent wayyyy too much.

Have a good Sunday dingos!
#4 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Subbing!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#5 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Happy May!

I'm not sure about a run today, but we're going hiking at a state park nearby.

Next week I'm starting a Southbeach-type sugar detox for a few weeks. I just can't seem to get control of my cravings and binges. I am hoping this helps. Anyone have experience with the diet itself? I got the book in a free book swap and it really makes sense to me from a health perspective.

I think I am just fed up with the way things are. I am working out a lot and losing nothing. It's embarassing. I also kind of feel like I'm giving running a bad rap! I mean, I run (bf even!) and people are always asking me questions about it.. I feel guilty for still being so overweight! Silly, I know...
#6 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
Happy Spring and Welcome to the May Running, Walking, Skipping, Limping, Thinking-about-running Thread!
I'll be limping along!

How's everyone's Sunday going? I got to pat a week-old baby donkey today! He was so cute! Plus, baby pigs, chicks, goats... We spent the afternoon at the spring festival, although it was a gray and rainy day. Still fun, though. The kids are in the tub and I'm going to do some PT now.

Nemesis: No, I'm nowhere close to running yet. Knee is stiff and gets locked up several times a day. Arg! But I'm working that leg any way I can think of, just trying to get the muscle strength back. FWIW, running doesn't really help me lose any lbs. either. I'm flat out jealous when I hear of all the weight loss, because it just doesn't work for me. I'm curious to know how the sugar detox works for you.

Ashcav: I hope you are feeling better for a little extra sleep. That's important, too. And retail therapy!

Plady: GL to your DH!! Cool that you can track him online. I hope the site is up and running.

Now, why is it a no-no to give someone your number? I mean, if you can't go, get injured, whatev?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#7 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Happy May everyone!

We're 'living the Florida lifestyle' today. Had a good 8.5 mile run this morning (very early, and I'll have to be starting even earlier now since it's really getting hot). Kids just spent a good couple hours in the pool, we're going to have lunch. Maybe go to the library or catch a nap, then going out to a beach BBQ this evening. Gonna try and enjoy the beach before the blasted oil hits us... and thumbs way DOWN

Not much else to report...have a great Sunday!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#8 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM

I can't believe I missed the entire April thread and I have no idea what is going on! I am still running, though. I start week 5 of C25K tomorrow. It occured to me a few days ago that I might actually be ready to run a 5k by June!

Dh bought me a iPod touch for my birthday! I just need to find some great running music now. I experienced the runner's high for the first time. Way more weird than I expected. I felt tingly all day and I couldn't quit smiling. I felt so disappointed that the run was over.

Happy May everybody!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#9 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM

I just ran the wettest half marathon ever. 100% chance of thunderstorms. We were soaked before the start. I seriously thought it might be cancelled due to lightening. The start was so slow, over 10 minutes to the start I think but they didn't have a display clock at the start so who really knows. We started behind the 5:30 pace group. It probably took 17 miles with all the weaving and dodging to get up to speed. About mile 4 I gave up and took off my raincoat as it was just too heavy. The hills weren't so bad and we had a lot of fun since there was no point in worrying about time given the conditions. My running partner and I are so evenly matched right now: I would come out ahead on the up hill and she would dash ahead on the down hill. We tried to change back at the car before going for breakfast but I got stuck in with my clothes half on and needed help straightening out my bra. Then I just gave up all modesty and apologized to my friend for what her dh had to witness. Sorry about the pathetic race report.

Results: 1:55 which placed me 32/879 in my age group, 1108 overall. my half time was 1:01 so you can see it was a slow start.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#10 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Happy May, Dingo sisters!

FM: just got back from 4ish miles on my neighborhood hilly route. Everything felt really good- it was cool but not raining, no one really out, everything was green and pretty. I'm going to go take a shower and then head out for what has become my Sunday ritual, hiding in a coffee shop with my laptop and my study questions. Hoping to head to a birth today but am thinking things have petered out and it might be later in the week instead.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#11 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Hooray for May! Hooray for Dingoes!

mommajb, is it OK to laugh?

Plady, good running to your dh.

ashcav, good luck with your LR later.

I ran almost 4mi yesterday before my sister picked me up for the baby shower. I wanted to run more, and I felt great. Then just had a nice day with family, and came home to stuff that made me grumpy (uninvited visitors and a lot of work to do), so I milked the goats and left with the kids to my other sister's house. Came back late and poor dh was still out there working soil.

Then, today I had visions of a LR but dh had other ideas and I got dragged out to IHOP and then to the garden store before returning home. Dh dropped the kids at Sunday school and I ran just under 6 miles, trying not to vomit spinach omelet and hot sauce the whole time. Blech. And now it is an afternoon of yard, garden, farm and housework and a bazillion other things I could do. I'm so tired of feeling like a housekeeper around here.

Plan for tomorrow is not to run. I have a conference call in the am, and it's soccer game night, so I will need to hang onto some energy. I'm hoping to take Tuesday off.
#12 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM

been super busy (although not busy enough with work right now which, as a self employed designer, makes me ...but it all seems to work out in the end) i could still use some powerful dingo vibes that i find some meaningful work soon while i pass some on to kerc and everyone else who needs them too

plady - i can't say i am not disappointed because i was really looking forward to it, but if it is not meant to be, then no need to force it! i should probably not be spending the extra money on it right now anyway (see above) so it's all good. i might try to see if any of my pdx cronies need an extra person for the hood to coast relay end of august.

jo - our pets are family too. i have also lost a cat to traffic and was pretty destroyed for an evening. so sorry.

my potential adhesion pain is still an issue but it comes and goes, so i am ignoring for now. i have an appt with the general surgeon end of this month, so we'll see what he says.

kids and i are headed to charleston, sc next weekend for some family get-together-business. dh is staying home, which will be nice for him to get some me-time and fun for me to have the kids play with their cousins, etc.

today we're sort of celebrating my mother's day a bit early since we'll be gone. breakfast out and gorgeous day spent outside taking walks, etc.

happy may everyone!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#13 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I just ran the wettest half marathon ever. 100% chance of thunderstorms. We were soaked before the start. I seriously thought it might be cancelled due to lightening. The start was so slow, over 10 minutes to the start I think but they didn't have a display clock at the start so who really knows. We started behind the 5:30 pace group. It probably took 17 miles with all the weaving and dodging to get up to speed. About mile 4 I gave up and took off my raincoat as it was just too heavy. The hills weren't so bad and we had a lot of fun since there was no point in worrying about time given the conditions. My running partner and I are so evenly matched right now: I would come out ahead on the up hill and she would dash ahead on the down hill. We tried to change back at the car before going for breakfast but I got stuck in with my clothes half on and needed help straightening out my bra. Then I just gave up all modesty and apologized to my friend for what her dh had to witness. Sorry about the pathetic race report.

Results: 1:55 which placed me 32/879 in my age group, 1108 overall. my half time was 1:01 so you can see it was a slow start.
Not pathetic at all! It sounds like what could very well be a race report from any of the marathons held around here, it's good to hear that you survived and did so well. Rain just washes off the sweat, right?

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#14 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Happy new thread!

Mommajb, your "casual rain no-worry" half time is my "OMG I could never run that fast" half time!

No FM today, buried in grading and a little stressed and tired. I was head usher at church, which was ok, and then we had potluck, which is always fun, but I need more hours than I have to get my work done. Plus I'm making dinner for 14+ tomorrow on campus, with no stove. (I'm recruiting students to cook the pasta in their dorm kitchen, bringing cold pasta sauce that I'm prepping today, baking cupcakes tonight, and bread in the morning... they'd better show, is all I'm saying!)

Ok. Let the grading and class prep begin.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#15 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM

mommajb!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#16 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Congrats! at the part about getting caught in your bra! I do that after nearly every swimming lesson because then I change for TKD and I can never seem to get quite dry enough .

Dh had a good race it looks like, he finished in 1:57 which is 14 minutes faster than his Whidbey time! for him!

Penelope - No wonder you're their favorite!

Poppy - Sorry! Again! Maybe you and some of your PDX friends might want to road trip for the October Girls' Half?? Maybe?

Jo - IHOP vs Long Run ~ Bummer that IHOP won out.

Spending the day cleaning up while girls sing karaoke on the PS3. Every now and then I pop in for a song myself and I admit I get a big kick out of it. Gosh, what would have become of me had I had this toy when I was a chorus geek in HS? I totally get a kick out of singing along to Weezer since Rivers was in my chorus too - it's like a weird flashback.

#17 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 PM

(self-diagnosed) sinus infection here. Blech. So much for a long run today.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#18 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Kerc, feel better!

Mommajb, way to go! Wow, that's fast!

uh oh world war 3 is brewing gotta dash.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#19 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Way to go, mommajb! I'm giggling a little, too, at the mental image of getting stuck in your bra. Just one of the reasons I wear one that fastens in the back instead of having to pull over the head...I was always getting stuck with arms in awkward positions!

Happy May, everyone! Seriously, how is it May already? DS turns 4 at the end of the month, and then I start school.

Yesterday's school carnival was phenomenal. I have to say, I LOVE DS's preschool, but they really could work on their communication to new families about the events they hold. I honestly had no idea what to expect for either the silent auction or the carnival, and they were both just completely amazing. I had to work the first shift at the cakewalk, so we were there at the start, but we ended up staying almost to the very end, nearly 4 hours! They had a train to ride, a mule-pulled wagon, bounce houses, vendors, a puppet show, lots of carnival games for the kids to win prizes (beanbag toss, putt-putt, etc), and of course, the cakewalk. I am an evil mom. There were a few moms who brought actual bakery cupcakes (each family had to bring two sets of 6 cupcakes for the cakewalk), so when my kid had his turn and "won" at the cakewalk and I was still working, I um...may have...put the ones he picked back on the table and grabbed a bakery box instead. The ones he picked didn't look that bad (at least compared to some of the efforts and the many grocery store cupcakes ), but come on...bakery cupcakes, people. And then I spent the last 10 miles of my ride today fantasizing about said cupcakes and the mound of buttercream frosting on top of them....

rr~I went out for a group ride with friends today. Yeah, with the A team. You know, my elite age-group friend Sonja and her kick-ass friends. Yikes. It was a "mellow" ride for them, which meant I worked my butt off just to keep up. And I tried really hard to get dropped after we made the turn, but one of the guys wouldn't let me. Seriously, I told him I was fine, just to go, but nope, he wasn't having it. He literally put a hand on my back and pushed me back up to the group until I could hold on again. I'm not sure whether I'm more or about that. There was about 10 miles where I really didn't think I was going to finish the ride with them, but then they chilled out a little again, and I managed to stick with 'em for the rest of the ride. It was cool to do an actual "group" ride and learn about all the strategery involved in drafting and stuff. Totals: just a smidge under 50 miles in just a hair over 3 hours. Longest ride of the year so far, by a lot! And then I got home and immediately ate a cupcake. And now I think I might have another one...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#20 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 PM

subbing....more later
#21 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Gaye, "50 mile bike ride" pretty much mandates another cupcake. Go. Eat.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#22 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Gaye, "50 mile bike ride" pretty much mandates another cupcake. Go. Eat.
Great ride, Gaye! I'm officially very jealous .

We had a fantastic party on Friday night for the cadets. There were about 65 people here, and luckily the rain held off and most everyone was outside. I'm so glad my last mandatory entertaining is done though. Talk about stressful.

Time to get back to my real life of exercising regularly, eating healthy food, and hanging out with my family. These last few weeks have been way too tough.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#23 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
bec

South Beach - I was on it a little over a year ago. It was great! I lost about 30 pounds (which I now need to re-lose due to not staying on SB ). I have definitely taken some great things from the diet. I am mostly whole grain in my diet. The problems I have is that I have let sugar creep back in, my portions have crept up, and I have slacked off on the amount of required veggies (they ask for a lot, 4.5 cups at the minimum per day). I hear you on being embarrassed about weight, though. I am working out, HARD 6 days a week, if not more, and I just don't think it's fair that I have to continue to be SO freaking vigilant about every last thing that I eat!

And, I am so frustrated with this leg. I just want to run!

But, I did get a decent swim in. I did a mile in 45 minutes, including a couple of rests. I have figured out how to breathe every 3 strokes, instead of every other, so that's progress. I also biked to and from the pool.

OH, and big news! I took your advice and took Emily to a parking lot, and let her loose on her bike. She finally got it! Of course, she had some problems when we went back onto the sidewalk, but I feel like she has really gotten the hang of it! Now, onto Katie!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#24 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Way to go, Emily! Two wheeling is such an accomplishment!

Bec, I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with SB. I know my problem is sugar, more than any other processed carb stuff. We are pretty good about whole grain, from scratch stuff most of the time, but I love love love beer and sweets! For shame.
I just went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a ton of fruit that was on sale. So.. I am thinking I'll start the SB detox mid week or maybe even the weekend. Dh is even doing it with me, which will make things so much easier I think.
#25 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Way to go Emily! We are working on this with dd2 and ds. Ds is definitely ready, just scared to do it. Dd2 is not interested at all, she prefers her scooter

Gaye, you ROCK. I am in awe of you . And what nice friends too. I say, GO FOR THE CUPCAKE(S). Yummy. Even after taking a cake decorating course and knowing *precisely* what is in that frosting, I still drool at the thought of a real bakery cupcake.

Just back from the beach BBQ. My kids were COVEREd in sand. This is a really nice beach with powdery white sand which is lovely to play in and absolutely the devil to get off. They always cry in the shower because I have to scrub to get it off. The two littles are already out cold and even dd1 is dozing on the couch.

I just had a diet coke float with chocolate ice cream though, so I may be on a bit of a caffeine buzz.

#26 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM

I want to join you guys!

I did w2d1 of c25k today, then walked the rest of the 5 mile loop back to my house....

I am pretty out of shape at this point in my life, but even when I was in the best shape ever, I couldn't run. So that's what makes running seem so very very cool to me. That and the convenience factor. So I'm doing c25k, and hoping it works for me. So far, so good. I feel great
#27 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Good evening!

I'm limping along with the Dingos this month! Really, my knee is still kind of hurting from my stupidity the other day so I'm trying to be patient with it.

Gaye, yum yum cupcakes! Totally eat one! Save one for DS, but then you deserve the rest. I mean, really, who did all of the carnival work and then rode a ridiculous distance on her bike?

Nic, around here where the sand is gritty, we use baby powder to get it off. Sometimes we sprinkle it on feet and legs before going to the beach, and sometimes sprinkle it on afterward, to unstick the sand. I don't know if it would work as well for the fine Florida sand as it does for the coarse New England sand.

Bec, hooray for a new biker! I keep meaning to get my DD out there. Maybe next weekend.

JayGee, I'm so glad you survived your last mandatory entertainment! Your cadet parties always sound so stressful; I don't know how you do it.

Mommajb, great race! Sorry the rain put a crimp in things a bit. I love running in the rain but probably not so much for a race.

Kerc, take care of your sinuses! The sinus infection I had back in January knocked me flat for a long time. I hope to never get that bad with a sinus infection again. I hope yours is short-lived and manageable.

Ashcav, I didn't realize until I turned on the TV to watch The Amazing Race that there's a major water problem in Boston. Are you okay? I'm so sorry; let me know if you need a place to shower and want to drive out to Littleton.

All is decent here. I'm not running; I think if I give my legs two or three more days I'll be okay.

Today DH was grouchy, he said mostly from the heat. It was, like, under ninety degrees. Or maybe right around that, which is not unreasonable. "Oh, but so humid!" The kids were having a problem finding their bat so he could play baseball with them. Then all of a sudden he was all pissy, sitting inside mad. Because he's so tired of them always leaving their things around and never being able to find anything. Um, says the guy who has clothes piled up all over the bedroom floor? Says the guy whose computer desk is covered in used plates and glasses? Whose belt is in the middle of the living-room floor? Who takes off his gross socks at the end of the day and just leaves them wherever he happened to be sitting?

He, of course, says that's not the same thing. Why? Because the kids' mess annoys him (suddenly), while his mess only annoys me? I pointed out several times that kids learn by modeling and if he wants them to pick up their stuff, he'd best start picking up his stuff. He just got all huffy.

It was after that, at dinnertime, that he complained about the heat and apologized for being all grouchy. He just thinks the kids should start putting one thing away before they take something new out. And who, do you think, will be facilitating that on a day-to-day basis?

Okay, enough whining. I did have a super-productive day, clearing out more poison ivy. I have seven trash bags' full of rolled-up vines to go to the dump, and still have a huge tumbleweed of the stuff I've pulled out of the ground and haven't bagged yet. I can feel that telltale tingling all up and down my arms, and on the tops of my feet, and between all of my fingers. I'm not feeling it brewing anywhere else yet, which I consider lucky. Funny how my interpretation of a lucky interaction with poison ivy has changed over the past two years.
#28 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM

mommajb, I forgot to add... to your time.

I have my first sunburn of the season. More surprise visitors today, and my legs are sore. Not from running, from being on my feet all day. And I feel like I got nothing done, anyway. I did clean out dd's closet and drawers for summer, and I did 3 loads of laundry (which are now waiting to be folded) and scrubbed the upstairs bathroom floor, yuck. Dh, always looking out for my interests, brought home a newly adopted cat, who is now hiding under ds's bed. I hope he can find the box in the bathroom when he needs it. Anyway, strawberries are in, asparagus should go in tomorrow afternoon, and if I find a super-top-secret moment, ds's closet and drawers will also be cleaned out. Don't tell him.

LaLaLaLa, wtf is with all the poison ivy??? I mean, if I recall, last year was spent clearing it. Now here you are again. Is it like my stinging nettle problem? Or is it more like my Canada thistle issue? Or maybe more like the burdock or garlic mustard? But, seriously, what's the deal? Why so much PI?

I did snuggle a baby lamb this afternoon, though. One very fine moment. Oh. My. Lord. *sigh* He was so sleepy he just snuggled in, and didn't mind all my kisses all over him or anything. Yum. Not even a week old, they are just so delightful.
#29 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM

I finally blogged about my meetup with Lofty. Made me realize it was too short of a visit and how I want to go back so we can go for a barefoot run, or some back porch yoga, or share another coffee.

I joined the Team 100 group on facebook. 100's begin tomorrow. Anyone else in?

LLLL ~ with your day with DH

sugarmoon ~

JayGee ~ You and your parties! You are amazing!

tjsmama ~ You put on some miles today. Go get another cupcake.

kerc ~ Get better!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#30 of 690 Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

What's Team 100?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page