Thinking of joining WW...but the meetings? please advise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive been kind of following WW on my own......have the calculator and all the info from my sis who is a member in another state. But Im not getting anywhere......wondering.......do the meetings make a difference? can I go and check one out first, b4 laying out the money? Do you have to pay when you dont go?

Would love to hear from those who have gone to meetings and it made a difference. I guess Im worried about being in a small town, who will be there? I dont have ALOT of weight to lose......maybe 20lbs or so. Worried its not enough or something....I dont know....just a little nervous about going. Only 2 meeting places are listed in my area.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ssiter joined weight watchers- she had tried all kinds of stuff without results and now looks great. It really worked for her. She had about 20 lbs over her ideal weight.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 03-08-2004, 05:53 PM

I really loved WW, I lost about 45 pounds before I got pregnant and I'll be going back after the babe is born.

The meetings were helpful for me in terms of maintaining my commitment. I really wanted to see that number come down every week and have someone pat me on the back. I really liked our leader and that made a difference. I went some meetings with a different leader and didn't enjoy it as much.

WW has different specials all the time and sometimes they have an "open house" where you can go to the meeting and see what it's like without joining. Othertimes you can join for just the cost of the meeting. There are different payment plans, you can join and only pay for the meetings you go to but the per meeting price is slightly higher than if you go every week. You can switch between the different plans at any time.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:52 PM

I lost 62 pounds with Weight Watchers and my husband lost 40. We're both working for Weight Watchers now. I can't say enough about how their program has helped us. I had dieted countless times, and lost a lot of weight before. But they always turned into crazy crashes, and the weight came right back. Weight Watchers has been more of a lifestyle change and an eating plan.

Different areas run different specials. Our area currently has free enrollment, at least for the next week. Then an open house starts with $20 enrollment (it is usually $40). Our area rate is $12 per meeting. If you happen to miss a meeting, there is a $5 fee for the first two missed meetings. But there are lots of areas, and most do have different rates.

When the $40 enrollment fee is in place, the package deals are the best value. You can buy packages of 4, 8, 12 or 16 weeks. With the packages, the $40 enrollment fee is waived.

At our meetings, people can come to a meeting without joining. Then if you join, you get the materials.

The group support, combined with the incentive that came from paying every week, really helped me reach my goal. Once you become a lifetime member, you don't have to pay for meetings anymore, and that was also a big motivator.

I remember being concerned about the meetings before I went. When I mustered up enough courage to actually go, I was encouraged to see how supportive everyone is.

I hope this helps! Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-08-2004, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS YOU GUYS! I guess I just needed a little push. Theres a meeting tonight and Im going to go check it out before I sign up. I have all the materials......including the flex points stuff.

I think I was hesitant as I live in a really small town, mostly senior citizens, and I didnt know what the demographic was going to be at the meetings. But Ill go tonight and check it out.....maybe go to the other meeting too if that one doesnt seem right.

Ill let you guys know. Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM

My friend and her husband lost tons of weight on weight watchers-she works for them now. It seems to help you reevaluate your eating habits and succeed in the future. She has been all over the tv and news with her story, of course, I can't find a link-the daily news charges for back articles!!!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 PM

My dh lost over 50 lbs and I've lost over 25. It's a great program and the meetings DO help. Something about paying each week keeps you on the straight and narrow!

Jesse
Old 03-10-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

So I went the other night......just to observe. I was right.....it was 75-80% seniors....but people there were so friendly and nice! Im planning on joining next week.

One question.......how do I know where to set my goal? I looked at the weight chart......but I have a goal in my head.....and one that is realistic in bcoming a lifetime memeber.....and one that is just realistic in my mind.

So can someone tell me how I chose a weight goal? Im 5'2 + and Ill be 46 this sunday.

thanks again for your help!
Old 03-11-2004, 01:28 PM

Rainsmom ~ When you join, the Weight Watchers staff determine your 10% goal (10% of your current body mass). That would be your first goal to work towards. We usually advise people to set their goal weight after they reach this first goal.

When you join, you'll get two pamphlets - a big one called "Getting Started" and a smaller one titled "Welcome." You may already have the Welcome handout (we can give those to guests). There is a height/weight chart on Page 7.

For your height and age, your range is 109 - 136.

When you decide to set your goal, my advice would be to go for what you WANT. I went by the numbers, and set my goal at the top of my range with the plan of going a little lower after I reached lifetime status. But once I didn't have the incentive of reaching lifetime ahead of me, I lost my drive! I didn't get to where I really wanted to be. After this baby, I'll set my goal where I know I'll be satisfied.

Sorry - long answer to an easy question!

Glad you liked the meeting! The meetings were SO important to me as a member. Keep us posted!
Old 03-11-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you mean.....about the incentive to get lifetime status. I would probably be the same way......

Thanks for the info and support. Ill let you know how it goes on Monday when I join. IVe got a wedding back home the second week of May, so THATS my ReAL incentive for losing the weight.......people I know seeing me for the first time in 5-7 years! I think if I could lose 12-15lbs by then Ill be thrilled......and more Id be ecstatic!

thanks again!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:24 PM

You can sign up & do it all on line - you can go to a virtual meeting (well, sort of-they have on-line boards) if you want & never have to see any nosey neighbors!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yea.....but how do you weigh in? How much is it online??
Old 03-11-2004, 03:08 PM

I think it's $15 a month. It has on-line tools to help you track your points & exercise & water. You use your own scale & fill in the blanks and it makes a weight loss progress chart for you, too. You can join their boards for free.

Or check out - fitday.com - it's free, but a little different.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:39 AM

I lost my WW points slider (just the paper kind) and I want to start WW again (I lost a ton of weight on it post-pregnancy, some just crept back up after the holidays). I can't remember if I had to pay extra for the slider or not. Do they give it to you when you join, even when there is no registration fee? And will they give you a new one if you have been a member before?
Old 03-13-2004, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I went during the daytime with my oldest daughter who was about 2.5 at the time, and she hated it. Everytime we got there, she got antsy and noisy, I guess because I was always trying to keep her quiet. The lady at the desk came and told me I had to move to the lobby area because my daughter was too noisy. So while I was trying to gather up my stuff, she said she would help me, and picked Molly up. Whoowhee, did Molly start screeching then! Some strange woman picked her up and carried her away from mom. I was so glad she screamed like that! LOL The next time I tried to go, as soon as we got into the parking lot, she threw a fit, so I just quit going. I actually lost more weight before I joined anyway than I was losing there, so I figured I'd just stick with what I was doing.

But I agree the paying and weigh-ins help keep you motivated.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rainsmom
Ive been kind of following WW on my own......have the calculator and all the info from my sis who is a member in another state. But Im not getting anywhere......wondering.......do the meetings make a difference? can I go and check one out first, b4 laying out the money? Do you have to pay when you dont go?

Would love to hear from those who have gone to meetings and it made a difference. I guess Im worried about being in a small town, who will be there? I dont have ALOT of weight to lose......maybe 20lbs or so. Worried its not enough or something....I dont know....just a little nervous about going. Only 2 meeting places are listed in my area.

thanks!

I think the meetings help. I "only" have 19 pounds to lose and wasn't nearly as overweight as many of the ladies there. I think they sort of look at you funny if you're not obese, but who cares if it works for you, right?

I fell off the wagon and probably gained the 4 pounds I Had lost right back - I need to go back. The money is an issue for me. But I do think it helps to get to meetings.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:56 PM

ksmeadowlark ~ Every new member is given the "Getting Started" book and a points finder. Even if you have been a member before, you are considered a "new member" when you rejoin. As far as getting a replacement points finder, we can only give them out to new members. We can't separate a book from its points finder, and we can't sell any written material. (Sometimes we find "stray" pointsfinders, and we save those to give to members who need them.)

Amywillo ~ The leader in charge of one of my meetings is also a Preschool teacher. She's just great with kids, and welcomes them in her meetings. Before I reached lifetime, my son came with me to the meetings. I tried to be sensitive to the other members, and take him out when he was too rambunctious. But Sharon always made us feel welcome.

Some areas have "Moms and Tots" meetings. We have a few in our area.

I think *I* would have shrieked if someone tried to "help" by picking up my already upset child!! Sorry you and your child were treated with such disrespect.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

SO....I joined last night. The lady signing me up said bc I exercise almost everyday.......(I walk 2-4 miles pushing a stroller or go to the gym for spin class and weigh lifting 3x) that I should add points to my point limit (20pts) otherwise my body would think it was starving and I wont lose any weight.

Is that true? She was saying she couldnt handle being on only 20pts a day, but I dont have a problem with it at all!

hope someone can give me some feedback......im confused. And I wasnt planning on using my activity or 35 flexpoints.......I want to lose weight!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:58 PM

rainsmom ~ Since you are exercising, you CAN add points to your 20 pt. base. You don't necessarily have to. Be sure to eat enough food, though. The danger of not eating enough is that your body believes that it is starving, and your metabolism slows. Even though you may lose for a while that way, your weight loss eventually slows and stops.

You might want to start out with a slightly higher points range - maybe 24 points per day. (By the way, your Week 3 material is titled Be Active. There is a points booster tool included that helps you calculate the number of points you earn through physical activity.) Since you are already active, you should be able to lose weight at a higher point range. Try it for a week and see if you still lose.

While Weight Watchers does have a "system," it can be tailored to suit the individual. That's one of the program's greatest strengths.

Your leader may be better able to answer your questions. You might want to find her/him before the meeting starts, or after the meeting ends. Some leaders weigh members before the meeting, and some are available beforehand to answer questions.

Glad to hear that you joined!! Yea!!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ebethmom! I was even going to go to a second meeting tomorrow.

User Tag List