Metabolism suddenly just DIED Help! - Mothering Forums

Metabolism suddenly just DIED Help!

Lady Mayapple's Avatar Lady Mayapple (TS)
01:20 AM Liked: 0
#1 of 3
05-18-2010 | Posts: 133
I've never had a weight problem. I've always been able to eat whatever I wanted and not gain a pound. Even after having kids, I "bounced back" right away. That's all coming to an end now, and I need a gameplan. My DD who is our last child (DH got the snipperoo) will be 2 soon. I know I'm not burning as many calories from nursing as I was when she was a little baby. This, combined with little exercise and bad habits is NOT working well. The last time my weight was checked was a year ago, and I was 112lbs. I'm petite and only 5'1". I am now pushing 130lbs. I'm not totally disgusted with my body but I'm not thrilled with it either, and I'm sure not liking having to buy bigger clothing. Most of my weight is in my belly, and my red wine/blue cheese/sangria on hot nights habits aren't helping in that area. I actually LIKE the extra weight I'm carrying on my thighs and butt, but I miss my flat tummy. My face is getting chubby too, and I don't like that.

I feel so lost. I've never had to think about my weight or what I eat or having to exercise. I bought some workout clothes today to try to motivate myself. I'm calling our local YMCA tomorrow to check out prices and get a membership. I guess I am surprised that I'm dealing with this because I'm only 25 years old. I try to tell myself "You look exactly how a 25 year old married woman with three kids and a crazy job is supposed to look" but that's really just lies Seriously though-Where do I start? Help!!!
Rosemarino's Avatar Rosemarino
10:54 PM Liked: 112
#2 of 3
05-18-2010 | Posts: 2,856
Lady Mayapple, it sounds already like you're going to nip this thing. You've got 18 lbs to go until you reach your prepregnancy weight. Once you make some changes, I bet your first week you'll drop and easy 5 (or more.) It will likely slow down to about 1-2 a week which is healthy after your first week or so, and by the middle of the summer, you'll be your good weight again. Here is what I would do in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Mayapple View Post
I've never had a weight problem. I've always been able to eat whatever I wanted and not gain a pound. Even after having kids, I "bounced back" right away. That's all coming to an end now, and I need a gameplan.
This doesn't mean that your metabolism died; this means that, by your own admission, you are overeating
My DD who is our last child (DH got the snipperoo) will be 2 soon. I know I'm not burning as many calories from nursing as I was when she was a little baby. yeah, you cannot count on nursing at 2 to burn any calories. it is for comfort. I'm not saying that it doesn't burn any, but it's waaaay less than younger.This, combined with little exercise and bad habits is NOT working well list out in detail your "bad habits". Join SparkPeople or FitDay or TheDailyPlate and get a plan going that you will stick to. You will get a range of calories and if you want them, free meal plans. You stay in the range (it also calculates your exercise, and you need to get some) and you also put in a goal date; this all affects your range of daily calories. I've gotten to my goal weight doing it.. The last time my weight was checked was a year ago, and I was 112lbs. I'm petite and only 5'1". I am now pushing 130lbs.This is controversial advice, but get a scale and weigh in daily at first, or at least weekly. Don't do this if you are weight obsessed or have had an eating disorder though! I'm not totally disgusted with my body but I'm not thrilled with it either, and I'm sure not liking having to buy bigger clothing. Most of my weight is in my belly, and my red wine/blue cheese/sangria on hot nights habits aren't helping in that area Yes, alcohol is rather high in calories, but red wine isn't bad unless you're overdoing it. Putting your alcohol calories into the sparkpeople or whatever you choose will help you to see what a good amount is. And don't forget to measure everything especially at first!. I actually LIKE the extra weight I'm carrying on my thighs and butt, but I miss my flat tummy. My face is getting chubby too, and I don't like that.

I feel so lost. I've never had to think about my weight or what I eat or having to exercise. From what it sounds like, you have spent most of your adult life pregnant or nursing. I don't think your metabolism has DIED, I just think that a.) you aren't a teenager any more and b.) you have to get used to what normal, non-pregnant-lactating eating for an adult your age is. It's different than the teen years when you are still growing! I bought some workout clothes today to try to motivate myself. I'm calling our local YMCA tomorrow to check out prices and get a membership. I guess I am surprised that I'm dealing with this because I'm only 25 years old. I try to tell myself "You look exactly how a 25 year old married woman with three kids and a crazy job is supposed to look" but that's really just lies Seriously though-Where do I start? Help!!!
GOOD LUCK!!! Join one of the support groups here on MDC--they're awesome!
Lady Mayapple's Avatar Lady Mayapple (TS)
01:27 AM Liked: 0
#3 of 3
05-19-2010 | Posts: 133
Wow! Thank you SO much! I have been overeating, for sure. DH and I have decided to no longer go out to eat. We've estimated that the money we spend on that can easily cover the cost of the Y membership.

I've never had an eating disorder, and I think a scale would be a good thing to have to motivate me and also to get a more accurate idea of how much I weigh. I honestly don't really know.

I drink about one and a half glasses of red wine or sangria in the evenings after everyone is in bed. I don't know how many calories that has-the bottles don't tell you

I got married when I was 19, got pregnant three months after our wedding and had our first at 20. I had another child 11.5 months after our first-a huge surprise! And then had our third and last child a few months before DS2's 2nd birthday. I am still nursing her, but only a few times a day. She's so active and loves food and mama milk just isn't cool anymore LOL!

I've always been a heavy cream in my coffee, full fat milk, bacon for breakfast on saturdays, fat free anything is just wrong type of person. I also love pasta and bagels, carbs are just fine with me LOL!

I went grocery shopping today with a goal in mind. I bought a lot of vegetables and made some pasta salad, black bean and corn salad, and cucumber and tomato salad. Everything is in my fridge and ready to go for when I get hungry. I also only bought chicken for BBQ and chicken soup that I'll make later this week. I think portions are my biggest problem. I'm terribly hungry right now, but I know that I need to re-train my body to eat less and be satisfied by more nutritious foods.

again, thank you so much for your advice. I will check out some of those websites. I definitely need to be more organized and mindful when it comes to what I am eating, and I think those will help.
Reply Subscribe Fitness and Weight Management