Dingos Run in the Sun...Dingo Mamas June Thread! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Plady you are making me nervous...I'm starting yoga again in August and I know I have lost a lot of flexibility. yikes. but TKD just sounds awesome!

I was supersore this morning STILL from my fall on Saturday (old lady, anyone??) but glad I got out. RP was nice and we ran slow to let my body catch up, and I feel better now. Running again on Thurs and Sat and I will lift weights if I feel okay tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I bruised a rib, so I'm going to keep taking it a little easy.

The chicken excitement has reached fever pitch at our house....they should be here on Thursday at the latest! insane. But fun.
#302 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM

Oh, Jo.. I had a pretty heated discussion with DH last night where he was talking about how he does "everything" for us and I was just about to my limit. I don't mind taking care of 80% of everything, but then to have the financial needling also.. it's too much for me. Ugh. I feel your pain.

Running group tonight and I'm nervous I won't be able to keep up! It won't be as hot as it was last time, so hopefully that will help.

Ok, Dingos! The last week of the month I'll be in Minneapolis if anyone wants to try and get together. It's about halfway for a few of us.
Jen? How far is minneapolis?
Kerc- I'll be there the 28th through July 1st. Pretty much all days are open right now.
Jo?
Who else?
Dh has conferences for work and MIL wants to watch the kids. So, I am pretty much free the whole time!
#303 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Oh, Nemesis, that would be so fun! It's about a 5-hr drive from my house. Still, I'll keep it in mind. You just never know. It would be fun to meet up with kerc. Funny thing, dh was going to be going to ND next month, but that's been canceled.

I want to see if I can persuade JenLove to meet me at the cabin this summer. I think we'd have fun.

So I sent an "FYI" email to work letting folks know I will not be checking in, that they'll need to be in touch with me. Of course, I ended up with work to do. I knew it would happen, but I wish once in a while it weren't so predictable. *sigh* Conference call before I can go to the Y. It's pouring rain again.
#304 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Hi ladies! Just had a great 5 miler on the TM (as usual), I running!!!

I have some tightness that will work out with some yoga squeezed in some time today. tummy is grumbling so off for food hunt!

SHIRTS? are we doing them this year? Usually we do them March/April ish. Just wondering what the thoughts were??
#305 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Jo, it's about 5 hours for us, too. And about 5 for JenLove and kerc!

I totally understand that it's too far for just a day trip, just thought I'd throw it out there. DH has conferences for work and so I'll be pretty much alone all day, all week.

Also, I've never met up with any online friends. I think it would be great.

Ok.. softball was cancelled due to rain, so I had coffee and saltwater taffy with the kids. Run tonight, though.
I'm all for buying a shirt if it's available!
#306 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
SHIRTS? are we doing them this year? Usually we do them March/April ish. Just wondering what the thoughts were??
I'll definitely get one. There was a discussion several days (or a >week?) ago about whether to put the racers on there. I was just going to add my 2c and say, sure!

Oh, and I love the dingo-lady design that someone put up!! (sorry, I forgot, was it you Jenn?)

I loved the Nike tech shirts that we got last year. Mine fit great and looks wonderful, even after a year.

Is there anything I can do to help with the t-shirts?

No real FM - stayed home with sleepy DS after he had a fever most of last night. The worst of the coughing is over though. Whew.

Did my semi-P90x workout (DANG that is hard) and lots of push-ups. I might have to buy that DVD. Oh, and did a late afternoon run to the grocery store where I bought two different chocolate snacks. Haven't eaten them yet, but just knowing that they are in the kitchen should the urge hit me ...

Must get these kids to bed early tonight so I can sneak chocolate.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#307 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
just knowing that they are in the kitchen should the urge hit me ...
I must be a junkie because I feel better just knowing the chocolate is there should I need it.

P90X/insanity/what did I leave out? Look like a good alternative to gym workouts. From all I have heard I would look into it if the gym didn't fit in my life. Luckily dh will be back by the weekend. This has been a rough time for me and ds1, not between us but me relying on him when I can take no more. These girls have a way of wearing me out quickly, they are flaky and noisy.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#308 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Jo, it's about 5 hours for us, too. And about 5 for JenLove and kerc!
Naw....closer for me (2.5 to 3, depending upon traffic). So I'll look at my family calendar and see what I can figure out. I'd like to spend a day there myself anyhow visiting museums, doing some shopping, enjoying myself (shh, don't tell my family). I also need to deliver something to the lab at the U's campus that's easier to transport via car than mail it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#309 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Mel, do you want to volunteer to coordinate shirts? Iirc there's a great graphic already, and we could put out the call for people to update Jen w. the race list and/or add themselves on as runners even if they're not racing.

Might cafepress be a good choice, as zazzle was described by a few folks as having cheap shirts? I don't know how the ordering worked last year, but IMO if people could order their own shirts it might be simpler. I think Mandy was doing some organizing but has gotten busy (as have we all!)

My plate's too full to take responsibility for the details (although I would love to be able to volunteer) but I really want a shirt.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#310 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 05:09 PM

JayGee--glad you're ok after that wind!

tjsmama--I enjoy having someone talk my ear off and besides, I didn't exactly have a lot of oxygen to spare at the time anyhow. I can't wait until I'm back down to an average 10-something pace again.

1jooj and nemesis-- re your DH. Men!

Plady-- at your stiff-as-a-board description!

Count me in for a shirt please!

Had playgroup this morning and I have a chiro appt for J and me in about half an hour. I wonder if the dinglets would cooperate if we walked there? Hmmm....

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#311 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM

RM - i've done the shirts the past two years (mamabeth was the year before that) - i just don't think i can swing it this year every year, probably due to some miscalculation on my part, it somehow ends up costing me money, so i just decided not to offer to do it this year (cause we're tight on budget!). i did send mandy some artwork, and then she tweaked it and was going to do the race list. i think she's really busy, but maybe somebody can help her out or do the communications with the vendor or something. i wish i could tackle it, but this is just not my year. i'm here to help if there are any graphics needs, just not the coordinating/ordering/shipping part.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#312 of 541 Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 PM

jaygee~I don't think the glute is related to the shoes...real can confirm, I was complaining about it within a quarter-mile of starting our run yesterday, so I think that's a little too quick to be the shoes! I've only done 2 2-ish mile runs in them so far, so definitely building slowly. It seems to be better after some foam-rolling. I'm guessing it's related to my "hold on to the treadmill to alleviate the side stitch" 12 miler.

My first two exams of nursing school are in the books. I know I got an A on one, and I'm pretty sure I got an A or maybe a B+ on the other, depending how she grades the fill-in-the-blank questions. They were harder than I expected, even given the fact that I did well on them. Probably didn't help that I mostly blew off studying for them. I need to do some serious work tonight since I won't be home tomorrow night until late. The problem is that I have a killer headache that is NOT getting any better, and I have track in the morning so I'll be up at the crack of dawn. Blech.

rr~One of the girls from my online class and I had talked about doing a lunch run, so we met up for it today. She's a teeny bit faster than me, but that's not a terrible thing. We got in about 2.25 miles and were back in time to cram for our second exam, not bad! It was so weird, though...apparently campus is like a black hole for Garmins or something...it kept auto-pausing and losing satellite reception! So, really, I have NO idea how far we actually ran or how fast we did it. The worst spot seemed to be near the research towers. Hmm...wonder what they're up to in there?! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#313 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM

BRG was ok. The leader had planned this as Week 2 (run3, walk3) but one member was particularly vocal that it was INDEED WEEK 3, so we did that instead (run5, walk2).
I kept up fairly well, but I am pretty sure we were going slower overall than the first time.

Real- I agree, MEN! Hope the chiro appointment went well.

I am having some pretty bad back soreness again, the same as before. I am considering a chiro appointment, again. I'm not sure what to do. I can run fine, though.. so that's a relief.
#314 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Track workout, done! Our coach wasn't there this morning, so one of the longtime members filled in for her (with instructions for her). The only problem was that she didn't realize I was racing this weekend, and so, although she had a pre-race workout for those racing, it was more geared for those doing 1/2s and fulls rather than a sprint tri. Oh well, I did it anyway. Two miles at race pace. It's actually kind of good to be able to gauge pretty closely what my actual 5k race pace is right now. Both miles were right around 8:45 pace, pretty accurate, I think! Now I'm trying to get motivated to get out for a ride...if we do it early enough, we can get back in plenty of time to take a nap, and considering DS was apparently up at 6, I think we both need one!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#315 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 AM

I agree: men!

Gaye, I have to say, seeing my mama friends struggling through studies just kills any wild ideas I had about going back to school. You'll find your pace, though. Hang in there.

I've decided to sign up the kids for swimming lessons once a week. Don't know if I can work out while they have the lesson, but it gets us in once a week, guaranteed. And maybe they'll start floating instead of sinking.

Busy day planned. Going in to the office tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it! I think going in once every two weeks for less than half a day is a good thing. I need a little separation.
#316 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm late to the discussion, but Penelope, I wanted to say that I agree with what was said about depression not being an excuse for your DH to behave however he wants. I've followed that line of thinking for 4 years and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. Recently my therapist said that, while some may disagree with her, she doesn't believe that mental illness makes it permissible for someone to "step all over you." She emphasized that my DH is still responsible for his choices and should be held accountable for his actions. Maybe if this weren't exactly what I needed to hear a few weeks ago, the psychology major in me would be willing to engage in debate about it, but for now I'm going with it without questioning. Otherwise, I would be out of options.

DH has had a rough patch and discussing it yesterday, his explanation was that he knew I was upset with him about some things and that was making him worse. In the past I would have just strengthened my resolve to bite my tongue and do a better job of carrying it all and supporting more but not now. I called him on it and told him I wasn't going to let him talk me into walking on eggshells.

Don't know how all this is gonna work out, but at least for the present, standing up for myself and my kids and expecting to be treated decently seems to be the best option. I've carried it all and put up with too much for far too long. Good luck to you mama... I hope things are going OK for you this week.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#317 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I'm late to the discussion, but Penelope, I wanted to say that I agree with what was said about depression not being an excuse for your DH to behave however he wants.
Our therapist told DH the same thing about his anxiety and related issues, pointing out that it's his job to control his emotions, not mine. He didn't much like the message but he's working on it, or so he says.

My FM of the day was my first 4-miler, with the double, four hills, 80 degrees. It mostly felt good, except on the last hill.

My legs are sore. It would help if J would stop nursing/insisting on being held and let me put her down to stretch (even if it is four hours later).

I probably shouldn't have written that though, because she just spit up all over me in revenge.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#318 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM

to the mamas who are struggling with dh stuff. blah.

Just checking in....I feel mostly recovered from my fall but it was crazy how much it hurt for days! Tomorrow's run should be all good, I hope.

oh and my VFF sisters, I ordered only my 2nd pair in two years of Vibrams! I got the Bikilas this time bc the reviews were insanely good. They are more "running shoe"-like but are supposed to be close to the KSOs. Can't wait to see them, they are neon pink

Oh and I don't think I've had time to post but FOUR BABY CHICKS are on my back porch! They are so cute and hilarious. And I don't have to nurse them. but I am checking on them a lot and they are just the cutest things.
#319 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Mamas, thanks for the insights. It makes me feel better to have y'all to turn to. I'm trying not to give into what feels like some encroaching anxiety - work has been really a mess for a couple of weeks, but I spend more than four hours last night having drinks and frank conversation with some colleagues and my new uber-boss. ( at drinking beer with the big boss - he asked for the gathering!) I'm feeling like things are more stable there than I had though, which is really helpful to my overall frame of mind. Which, I think, will give me some space to reflect on the dh stuff.

No foreward motion for me today, but I'm penciling in a run tomorrow morning, and then taking the kids to the beach for a while, and getting some work in around the edges.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#320 of 541 Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I think that's where I did my first tri too! In Naperville? I did the Danskin in 1999 there and I remember thinking that was the weirdest shaped pond I'd ever seen Didn't know it was a quarry, that explains a lot!
Yep! That's the one! The pictures were available today, and dh saw the one of me running (obviously not walking) across the finish line. Busted! Here's my pictures.

So, poor Katie woke up last night with a tummy ache, and came and informed us that she had thrown up all over her bedroom. Poor thing was throwing up most of the night. So, she stayed home from camp, we didn't get to go to the water park, and I didn't get to go to the gym. I didn't have it in me to exercise at home, so focused on getting the vomit out of all the bedding (she got her bed and the bottom bunk as well). The good news is that she is feeling better throughout the day, and she will be going off to camp tomorrow (assuming she makes it through the night without puking, it will be over 24 hours by the time she needs to go to camp). I'm hoping to go on a bike ride or a hike or to the pool tomorrow!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#321 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 01:36 AM

I slackerized this morning. Woke up and I was lying on my back, and DS had crept upstairs and settled himself on top of the blanket, curled up between my legs with his head on my thigh. He seemed so cozy and it seemed unkind to disentangle him, and I was pleased that he may have finally figured out how to come up to bed without annoying me into awakeness and irritation. So I bagged the run.

Today was busy. It was DD's kindergarten performance, so DS and I went to that and listened to the whole kindergarten do a dozen of their weekly songs. I don't want to say anything unkind about something the kindergarteners were so excited about. So I won't.

After the show we (kids, parents, everyone) went back to the classroom for social time and a snack. My kids ate SO much crap that they were super-grouchy for the rest of the day. This is unfortunate, since I really needed to finish up shopping for Father's Day and my mom's birthday and the end-of-the-year teacher gifts. It entailed hours of driving around to gather everything we needed. Kids were not helpful. I was happy to go to work tonight.

So how weird is this? Tomorrow is DD's "move up day," which means that she will find out who her first grade teacher is, and I guess she and the rest of next year's classmates will gather to meet the teacher and each other. I am delighted to know who is in her class. But the principal refuses to give out a list. Why? Obviously if DD is going to meet all of the kids, it's not some sort of big secret. But at the same time, her memory isn't reliable enough that she'll be able to report back to me who is in her class so we can make connections for next year. And moms who are in the big mom-clique can probably email around enough to build their own class lists, but moms like me are stuck asking DD who will be in her class. I'm finding it a bit maddening. Anyway.

I'm hoping to run tomorrow, but as it's 12:35 and I would need to wake up by 6:20 to get on the roads, it's not looking very likely. Go to bed, dummy. I know, I know.
#322 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 AM

La4: Yeah, maddening sounds about right. On one hand, I can understand not wanting to put out a list to avoid having to deal with all the requests to change said list... but then to have a party to introduce everybody?

Eks: I hope things are going ok for you, too.

And Lisa & Penelope and all others dealing with the DH issues

Mamabeth: baby chicks!? How sweet! Enjoy them while they are fluffballs.

Bec: Great pics!

Re: shirts - I would be glad to do the coordinating/ordering, if someone else could team up with me to do the shipping. I guess that part would entail receiving the shirts, divvying them up and mailing them to the dingos. Anyone up for that?

Poppy: Do you think splitting it up would work? If so, could you pm me the vendor contact info?

No real FM for me, as DS is still at home. He's barely sick, but I can still hear the rumbling in his chest and his nose is very runny, yucky. I am feeling cough-y though, so I'm taking it easy and doing knitting, laundry, translating today. I'll do some push-ups and abs later this am.

Have a great day everyone!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#323 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 AM

La, we find out a week before school, I think. Or a couple days. PTO throws an ice cream social and they post the lists on the doors. They receive all the teacher requests through summer and do what they will with them. This, I suppose, avoids the mess of assignment-and-reassignment.

bec, you're busted! Nice finish photos. Sorry about the puke.

So the plan today (and I guess I really should get on the plan) is to get chores done, clean up, pack kids' bags and lunches, then buzz in to the Y for a workout @ 8 (if at all possible), then grab kids from the play area by 8:45 and deliver them to swim class @ 9, finish workout, shower and change during swim class, get kids @ 9:40 and change them, dash off to pick up niece at prearranged meeting place @ 10:45...Drop off 3 kinds and lunch at downtown park for lunchtime concert and go to the office for a couple of meetings. Kids will eat, enjoy concert, visit library, walk back to Y together and do open swim...Pick up kids after 4:30, get them a snack and take niece home by 5:45.

Truthfully, while the morning will be crazy, I am looking forward to a couple hours in the office. Shh.

I have a cold, though, so not really sure what kind of workout I'll manage. These past two weeks have not been great, but at least I do a little better with not overeating constantly when dh is home.
#324 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 AM

Lalala~ that is goofy. Our school posts lists the day before school starts, so you find out who your teacher is, and meet the teacher and your classmates less than 24 hours before the school year begins. It apparently solves all the "We don't want Jimmy in that class", and "Jenny wants to be with her friend" garbage that was rampant.

Jo ~ yuck, a summer cold. I hope you feel better and your day isn't too crazy.

bec ~ great pictures! Congrats on your first triathlon!

I was so burnt out yesterday afternoon after all the running around we've been doing. I haven't had a good workout in a full week and I'm eating far too much. So I called my neighbor, sent my kids over to her house for an hour, and met up with the tri group for open water swimming . Just what this mama needed to regroup . Tonight is my weekly ride which I'm really looking forward to.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#325 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I have a cold, though, so not really sure what kind of workout I'll manage. These past two weeks have not been great, but at least I do a little better with not overeating constantly when dh is home.
I'm down with a cold too. UGH. Skipped my workout yesterday but I am going to try to get out tomorrow, under the theory of burning it out of my system. I just don't want it to turn into a sinus infection like the last two, so I am being easy on myself. Hope you feel better soon, Jo.

FWIW, I think giving the cafepress/zazzle things a try is a good idea. I have loved my better dingo shirts but think doing things the easy way is better than no T-shirts at all.

I am so intrigued by the vibram five fingers idea. I saw a young girl wearing some as regular shoes yesterday.
#326 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

bec, you're busted! Nice finish photos. Sorry about the puke.
I totally was, and DH was inordinately pleased with himself for being the one doing the busting. Regular Sherlock Holmes there.

I am going to do SOMETHING today, but I don't know what yet. It might be going to the gym, or putting the kids in the bike trailer and going for a ride, or going to the pool. I just don't know what yet!

#327 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Bec- I feel your DD's pain! I was feeling pretty sick last night myself.

Hope all is well today!

balancin1 and Jo- I hope you feel better soon, too!

mamabeth- Congrats on the chicks! I can't wait until we can have chickens!

Yesterday I felt pretty rotten but I figured it was stress from my back hurting again (sometimes a backache will make my stomach hurt) but I guess not. FIL showed up and took us out to dinner, which I barely managed to hold down. Came home and collapsed into bed while DH took care of the girls and took the dog for a walk. I kept waking up just sure I was going to puke, then going back to sleep. Ugh. I am feeling semi-human this morning, but it was a rough night.
And yesterday, during my sickness-induced nap, I had the most awesome running dream! It was really great.

It's raining again, so we are going to see if softball is a go today or not. Then? Mopping the floors, putting away the bookshelves that I had to take apart, etc.. Just stuff.

Happy Thursday, Dingos!
#328 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM

I did some speed intervals this morning, 400s with a 400 recovery for 6 repeats. I had never done them before and it was fun. My pace was always faster on the speed section than the recovery so I'll call it a success. I also ran faster than my usual running pace. It could be fun to work them in a bit more regularly except for the fact that I like to talk with a running partner and this left me breathless about half the time.

Dh is back early and it is tough. Life is messier (or at least more complicated) with him here it seems. He is more laid back than I am yet I thought we would catch up on all my loose ends once he got here. I am having to make an effort not to lump him in with ds1 and parent them both.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#329 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Drat. Cycling plans foiled again due to a feverish 4-year-old. It's a wonder us Mama-types get regular exercise at all.....

Just finished inflating way too many water balloons for my kids/neighbor kids. Thirty minutes of finger-numbing work for Mama = approx. 3 minutes of water balloon fun for kids. The math here is just wrong .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#330 of 541 Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
bec

Water balloons are so much fun when someone else fills them!

I'm sorry about your foiled bike ride. Been there and done that recently!

So, I got a 2 hour, 16 mile bike ride in, with a picnic lunch and time spent at the playground in the middle. I was wondering about my conditioning and how hard it was to do this ride, when I was shaken out of my reverie to the words, "Mama!!! Did you know...." I had forgotten to take the nearly 100 pounds of kids and stuff I was hauling behind me when I was lamenting my lost fitness. It was a great workout and totally guilt free because the kids were having a great time. The only downside is that I somehow lost my house key on the trail.

Hopefully taking the kids to the pool later!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page