Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for DrJen!
#362 of 541 Old 06-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Awesome job, DrJen!!!! Love the RR. I could "feel" that hill just reading about it!

I biked 24 miles this morning, then spent the afternoon with the family at the IU Outdoor Pool. Best news of the day ~ DD2 can SWIM! She was dog paddling about 10 feet by herself by the time we left today !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#363 of 541 Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Way to go, Drjen!

Nic, I had a similarly wistful feeling going back for a poetry reading. There's that whole other life set aside in pursuit of family, kwim? For me, I get sad every time (and it feels like it is often) I see "make art" juxtapositioned against "make babies," like the two are mutually exclusive. Because that's how the past decade-plus has felt.

I've been working out but not my long and hard workouts that make me feel wiped. Just no time these past few weeks. The work crises are piling up (bright side is that my input over the past month is finally validated), the children need constant policing to develop any discipline, dh has something like 50 potential days off but can't take any, you know how it goes.

The sign said the cardio room AC wasn't working yesterday, so I rowed 3000m and ran about 2mi around the track. Something, at least.

I survived soccer hell, too. One of you ladies asked, and unfortunately it wasn't World Cup; it was youth rec. Ds had 3 games and dd had two and we are done and sunburned and tired.

Tomorrow's plan is to go to a parade and pretend Monday isn't waiting around the corner.
#364 of 541 Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Yay, drjen! Great job!

I'm wiped out, and I didn't even race yet! We went to the airport to pick up XMIL this morning, her flight got stuck in a holding pattern so she was half an hour late. Then it was up to Boulder to pick up my packet. The line was *ridiculous*. It took 45 minutes standing in line. I have no idea why. We had to go to one table to "check in", which apparently meant showing our ID and our USAT card (or paying the $10 if you weren't a member) and then go to another tent to "check in" again, which this time meant signing multiple waiver forms, for some reason (weird, because typically you sign them electronically when you register on Active), and then to yet another table to pick up the actual packet with bib/swim cap/etc and goodie bag, and then one MORE table to get your t-shirt. Sheesh. And here, I dragged MIL and DS and it's 90 degrees and very little shade. At least I ran into my friend Shannon, so we got to cut in line with her and hang out and while we were in line. By this time, it was 2 pm and we hadn't even eaten lunch yet! So we went and walked through the pedestrian mall area of Boulder and got a really nice lunch (MIL paid ), then a quick driving tour of Boulder, since she'd never been up there. Back down to Denver, dropped MIL and DS at X's house, and back home. I left the house at 10 this morning, just got home at 6.

And now I need to finish up this week's readings for my online class before trying to remember what the heck I need to pack in my transition bag. Shannon offered that I could stay at her house tonight, but I think the dog would kill me, so I'm just going to meet there to carpool into the reservoir in the morning. I have to be there by 5:15. Which means leaving here by 4:45.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#365 of 541 Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Is there anyone else out there who thinks buying kids' shoes is incredibly aggravating?

I dropped a lot of $$ today as all three kids needed multiple shoes. Dd1 got Keens, dd2 got keens and running sneakers, and ds got sneaker-sandals (stride rite's version of keens). It was hellish trying to get pairs that were on sale (keens were not, but I decided they were worth the investment since my kids can wear them year-round, and they can be re-sold after to make up some $$, and they are the only ones of that type shoe with any arch support), fit, and that my kids would wear.

Then I tried to find dress shoes for dd1 (who is a big kids' size 4) that are not hoochiemama shoes. I just wanted standard black patent mary janes with a rubber sole, since when we visit for Shabbat weekends it frequently involves a fair amount of walking, and she needs shoes that can be worn to walk not just look pretty! GAH.

I finally found a pair on amazon, kenneth cole, that look ok. Hopefully. THe other ones on there are nice but very pricey (as in the $50 range! ACK! )

Sorry for my little rant here. I also have to sneakily return a pair of, I kid you not, Tinkerbell sandals that dd2 desperately wanted for her 'dress' shoes at Target but which are, ugh...Tinkerbell. And plastic. And no arch support, which is a problem for her as she has flat feet and cannot wear no-support sandals for long Shabbat walks. Sigh. My dd2 is not a whiner or tantrumer, so when she started sobbing for the love of these sandals, well... mama caved. At $14 they weren't exactly the priciest aggravation of the day, so,....sigh. I still think they need to go back, we'll see if she forgets about them (I have a gorgeous pair of very expensive patent red mary janes I got for her on eBay for about 1/10 of their original price in new condition...).

Meanwhile I did put all their old sneakers up on eBay so hopefully we'll make a little money back.

Sorry for a rant about kids shoes, very OT (although they do run in the running shoes. ) It's the one thing I buy for them that I need to get good quality in excellent or new condition, because my family has difficult feet. But it is so PAINFUL to shell out for new stuff when I am used to Goodwill or major clearance rack!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#366 of 541 Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Jen, great job!

Nic, I hear you on kids' shoes. Sigh. My ds refuses to wear Keens anymore, don't ask me why, and is also attracted to crap character shoes.

My congregation's Habitat for Humanity day was today, and it went really well - lots of folks showed up, the food I organized and my peeps brought was good and nourishing and plentiful, and one of the guys who was there as part of the prison release asked for my number. (So he could call me from prison, I guess.) I declined, although nicely, and was somewhat - alert for the rest of the afternoon, especially after the last remaining woman but me left the site. The building went well, though, and when I got home dh and our friend had done a huge amount of work repairing our fence - all the new posts up, and we got the concrete poured. We had a picnic of pizza in the yard with their family, and it was good.

I am so going for a run tomorrow. Mama has *earned* it.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#367 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 AM

drjen - awesome race! I can't imagine having to do that awful hill twice.

nic - ouch, sounds like a painful day for the pocketbook. I'm feeling really grateful that my kids prefer to wear the $2 rubber flip-flops 352 days a year. Now who'd they get that from?

Gaye - GO, GO, GO! Good luck!

rr: 1 hour of aqua jogging. Blah. As much as I'd rather run, I'm really grateful that it's summer, because there's no way I'd get in the freezing cold pool in the winter. Oh, and I made it to 2:00 on my wall-sit last night. If only it hadn't taken me so long to realize that if I just turn on some music, it's so much easier to take my mind off the burning.
#368 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 AM

:

I'm in Santa Barbara for a few weeks. For most of it, they put me in a townhouse with others from the program.

This week I'm in a hotel. I hate to complain, but I'm gonna anyways.

We're 50 yards from 101 and all its traffic.

There's *nothing* within 2 miles of here except for an Ihop and an In and Out. Not even a coffee shop. No neighborhoods you can run through -- everything is all loopdeloop housing developments.

This place isn't insulated, and the housekeeping keeps closing the glass door, so it's roasting in here every time I get back.

The walls are paper thin: The first three nights I was next door to some guy who watched all the soccer games with the sound on and cheered loudly. His alarm clock would go off at 5:30 so he could watch. Last night it was a Ferberizing family. Right now it's a couple fighting. They've been fighting for 2 hours and I know all the details -- I can hear every word. Every one. I haven't had a solid night's sleep since I got here.

This isn't working for me.

At least I'm getting a lot of work done avoiding this hotel room.
#369 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM

Geo ~ that sounds AWFUL. I mean seriously. How much longer are you there for?

cfg ~ I feel the same way about aquajogging. Honestly, if I'm in the pool, I'd rather be swimming.

Penelope ~ sounds like the Habitat build was a great success! Enjoy your run today .

Nic ~ on your shoe-buying extravaganza! DS wears Keens for everything (but he wears a big kids 5, so they're not cheap), I still need to buy DD1 some sandals, and I am constantly steering DD2 away from those very same Disney shoes at Target !

Go, tjsmama, Go!!!! Have a great race!

jooj ~ glad you survived soccer hell, and got a workout in too .

Happy Father's Day to all the Dingo-Dads (Dingbats, right?) We've got no big plans for today, but I am going to sneak a 15-20 mile ride in this morning before church . It's SO beautiful out, I must get out there!

#370 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Whew. Eight years later and I've run Grandma's Half Marathon. Race report later. Yay!

Geo: I'm so sorry to hear you're in a crappy sleeping place. I hate that kind of hotel, as in would rather sleep in my rental car. Hopefully it ends soon.

Jenlove: I got my berry picking newsletter for the year. I'll look at my calendar. Anyone else meetup in the western UP of Mi for a few hours of berry picking + some playtime?

Nic: shoes. Yes indeed they are spendy. I tend to spend more on a pair of shoes that work for my family than I do their wardrobe for the entire season. I haven't always sold their old ones, but I do think my kids need 1 or 2 quality pairs of shoes and that is it. I generally don't recycle shoes from kid to kid because frankly I was child #2 and it sucked to wear child #1's old shoes. So.uncomfortable. So anyhow I tend to buy one pair and recognize it as part of the season and move on (vs. obsessing about the cost, which can get large).

tjsmama: I suspect the coursework is going ok. My experience with students who go back to school (especially who take online geology as part of a health-career change) is that they have to work like mad to figure it out for the first few weeks and then it generally consists of getting the work done and not worrying about the logistics of it all.

and now I am off, to finish making waffle-mix so my children can make their father waffles in bed.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#371 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM

to all the racers. The race reports I have read sound both fun and personally rewarding.

Shoes; My oldest two wear a half size smaller than dh and I so moeny flies out the window. They tend to get one pair of good shoes per season plus athletic shoes, and then I have them buy their own flip-flops and such but they have paper routes and other odd jobs to earn money. For some reason dd2 and dd3 have dozens of pairs of shoes. Many of their hand-me-downs come with shoes to match. I am so anxious for them to grow out of this storage fiasco. I still buy them 1 good pair of tennis shoes/stride rites/keens or whatever for daily wear.

I did what felt like a sucky 8 miles this morning. It seems much better now that I am done, showered, and having coffee and blueberry-lemon scones with fresh apricots.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#372 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM

kerc, jenlove, let me know. I got a vaguely disturbing email from my mgr last night that makes me worried for the balance of the summer, but even if I have to scramble and set up a childcare situation , I might still be able to swing some time off.
#373 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Hey, Dingos!

I've had a lot more running and a ton more time on my feet the past week. Yesterday I was in a near-panic because my shins hurt.

Today they are feeling better and I am going to do my scheduled run. I was suppose to go out yesterday, too.. I'm glad I stayed in.

Will report back soon!

kerc- I would love to go berry picking. Most Saturdays are out for me, but I would be willing to miss a market for a meetup if I need to.
#374 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM

RR: a nice 10m in pouring rain. I mean, so. much. rain. I've taken showers drier than that run. My right hip continues to be a little tweaked, but I made pretty good time. I'm doing a half in exactly three weeks and just need to focus on stretching and get in a couple more good long runs between now and then.

Kerc, I'm all ears waiting for your RR!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#375 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 PM
bec

I am just checking in on the racers!!! Dr. Jen, awesome run!!!! Maybe next year we can do it together!

Kerc - Way to go on your half!!! I can't wait to hear the details!

Father's Day has been busy, but uneventful. We went out to pancakes for breakfast, the kids and I cleaned the house while DH took a nap, and we will be going out to amazing Chinese food for dinner (meeting my parents). Then, tomorrow at around zero in the morning, I'm throwing the kids in the car, and off we go!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#376 of 541 Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM

RIGHT NOW, on Amazon, Runners World one year subscription for $7.50! http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Slinking back to my stoopid discussion postings, back later for a race report...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#377 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 12:26 AM

I've worked without interruption on a paper for 5 days now, and it's ready to go to coauthors. I had forgotten how much work I can get done in a week without anyone bugging me all the time!

The toilet in this hotel room has clogged twice. Add that to my list of gripes.

The fridge only seems to freeze things despite turning it to the lowest setting. Tonight's dinner included a pint of ice cream. If you can't beat it, join it. Err, something like that.

The couple next door finished off their fight by about 10 pm last night (good thing, as I was about to go over an side with the guy -- IMNSHO he was clearly in the right) and they were quiet after that.

I bought ear plugs for tonight. I detest sleeping with ear plugs in. I've avoided it since I slept with them for a solid year in college. So far so good. It appears to be like carrying an umbrella to keep it from raining.
#378 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 AM

geo~Blech. Glad you're getting some peace and quiet so far tonight, and that at least you're being productive! More than I can say...

Ok, so race report. I actually got to bed at a decent time last night, but slept like crap, as usual the night before a race. The alarm went off at 3:45. The dog was NOT amused. I got everything loaded up and headed to my friend Shannon's house so we could all carpool to the race together. I missed out on my normal pre-race/workout bagel (went to pop it in the toaster this morning, and the bagels were moldy. Ew.), but Shannon fixed me some eggs and toast (note: this is important for later!). We got to the res, got our transition set up, hit the portopotties and still had some time to kill. Shannon and I were both in wave 6 and they were going 5 minutes apart, so we had a bit of a wait, and it was hot standing on the beach in the wetsuit! We did get in the water to warm up (and cool off!) a little bit. Finally, it was time for our wave to head to the start, and off we went.

This is where my day started going downhill. I felt like I started off pretty strong, but it didn't last long. I think my swim may have actually improved a little, but the problem with this is that it landed me smack in the middle of the action. I got kicked a few times, and then I got hit and my goggles got knocked off. 12 tris, and this is the first time I've gotten my goggles whacked. Needless to say, I was thrown for a loop and had a mini panic attack. There was water treading, and some breast stroking. Eventually I got calmed down and got into a groove, but the damage was done. My swim was slower than dirt. I think for my next race, I will make a concerted effort to swim far to the side, even if it adds distance, just to avoid the chaos.

Out of the water, there was a long run up to transition. I had a pretty good transition, other than a little struggle getting my wetsuit over my feet. Off on the bike...which was decent. Not great, and not as much better with the aerobars as I had hoped, but decent. The first 6 miles out of the res are uphill, and my legs were feeling it. If I could have pushed through the pain in this section, I think I would have done MUCH better. I still averaged 18 mph for the bike, which is fast...for me. I stayed in the aerobars for most of the ride, I liked having them just for the comfortable position, even if they didn't really help me go much faster! I was so proud of myself that I got out of my bike shoes easily while still on the bike, and then I almost bit it trying to actually get OFF my bike.

T2 went well, except I forgot to leave my sunglasses (I don't like to wear them with my visor), but I threw them on top of my head and they were fine. The first mile of the run was rough, my legs were tired. Somehow, though, this was my fastest mile. I kept trying to push faster, but it wasn't happening today. The run was pretty uneventful, other than just not being able to GO. I came into the finish line, the announcer called me Guy (and referred to me as "he"...umm...you had to look at me to see my number, right? Do I LOOK like a dude? ), and that was it.

Total time: 1:49:46. 20:04 on the swim (holy slow), 57ish on the bike, 29:25 on the run. At least I was under 30 for the 5k! Shannon killed the race, beating me by over 4 minutes. Once upon a time, I *used* to be way faster than her. Good for her, sucky for me!

Home for a nap, and then I attempted to buckle down for some homework, which I was only semi-successful at. I got the biggest thing done, but really wanted to get a start on my paper that's due next week. Oh well. It would be SO much easier if this subject was even remotely interesting.

#379 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 02:45 AM

tjsmama--great RR! Hope the homework goes quickly.

drjen--another great RR, though sorry you had such a crummy night before the race!

kerc--excited to read your RR!

Nick--yes, kids shoes do seem to be ridiculously expensive. Also, DD, is super-picky. I guess I'll count myself lucky that she's wearing last year's generic Croc-type shoes from Target.

My RR from Saturday's Habitat Hobble: race report: slowest 5K ever! 42:13, a 13:32 pace. The race was uphill (245 elevation gain) from Fraser to Winter Park along the Fraser River trail. But it was basically on dirt paths and I was pushing the double jogger--and did I mention that it was uphill? (in the snow...both ways)?

DH (who was also running) and I ended up walking a couple of times. The trail was rougher than expected so I did a lot of running with the front wheel up to keep it easy on J. I had thought the race stayed on the paved trail that we've run on for the 5-mile race there, and because it wasn't I was a little concerned about J. (I think tipping the stroller up worked fine--J slept through much of it and as usual, she was strapped in well with the head supports keeping her head from going anywhere.) It was really pretty though. The river has been running really high and fast, so it was just gorgeous and it was, of course, nice to not be running next to the road (which is where the paved trail is).

We started at the back of the runners but weren't the last to finish. We passed a guy with a single jogger and a woman early during the first half mile, and a couple of other runners in the last mile. We also won a door prize - two tickets to a Comedy Works show that night in Winter Park, but with the two kids and my parents coming up for the night, we figured there was no way to make it work. P turned in the tickets and they gave him a cute hat instead.

We walked back to Fraser (on the paved, downhill trail that we'll be running on in two weeks) rather than trying to wrangle the double jogger on the shuttle, so that added another 2.5 miles for the day. It was a beautiful day to be out in the mountains, and it also reminded us that our July 4th weekend race--in the opposite direction (Winter Park to Fraser) will be a lot easier, even if it's two miles longer.

Off to eat leftover birthday cake!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#380 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 AM

WTG racers!!

I love reading race reports so much. Don't know why, but it's so fun.

FM swam a whole mile today! Mostly crawl. So I am really practicing on that stroke and feeling better - calmer and less like I'm going to drown at any minute. It took me 50 minutes though. Ah well, at least I can look forward to getting faster, right?

Bad news is that my alcoholic neighbor, who has kept a very low profile all year, has suddenly decided that she wants to become my friend. I'm NOT thrilled about this. She thinks of pretenses to come over, like to use the phone because hers is not working, and then she won't leave! My kids are also a little scared of her. She looks kind of ... worn, and she smells really bad. Agh, I feel like a real b**ch for talking like this about someone, but I just don't want her coming around!!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#381 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 AM

I love the race reports too! Even when the racer is not thrilled, I guess I am getting my vicarious event fix. I'm not doing any events this summer (looks like), so I'm getting what I need from the Dingo reports.

I did something strange to myself this weekend. I want to believe I just dehydrated myself terribly. I got home a mess from soccer, fell asleep on the couch and slept two hours. I never nap, usually can't, and I'd actually fallen asleep on a blanket on the grass between matches, too. Then, the next morning I could barely walk and every joint in my body was stiff and swollen. I had a voice in my head say, "this must be what rheumatoid arthritis feels like," and I felt panicked and bad. I drank a couple quarts of liquid and took ibuprofen and got on with it, and slowly the pain mostly subsided.

So now I am back to my usual arthritic morning hands.

Out of desperation, I left my kids with my mom for at least today, maybe tomorrow too. I have some work problems to solve and expect to spend the whole day in the office. So I'll hit the Y first and do something, though I am not certain what.
#382 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Gaye ~ and that is why there is a "first" race of the season, to work out the kinks! Two summers ago I panicked big time on the swim at my first race of the year. It was awful! But then I went on to have my best season of racing ever! Great bike split, btw, especially with all the hills!

mel ~ ugh.... you're heading back to the states soon, right??? Can you pretend to not be home? I'm not sure how I'd deal with that either.

We had a great Father's Day yesterday ! DH got to play soccer and and then WATCH soccer. Later in the afternoon we took the kids hiking at a local nature preserve. DD2 took forever because she wanted to pick every flower, look at every bug, and ask me what every treee was ! DD1 wanted to RUN! So I ran a bit of the trail with her and it felt fabulous . Kay looks like she has a future in trail running/cross country ! And the little bit of running I did today resulted in no pain or numbness, so I'm doing a walk/run this morning at the Y. So excited!!!

BTW, my sports med doc still has not called regarding the compartment test results from two weeks ago . I guess I'll call him today and see what his expert opinion is.....

Swimming lessons start today, and the exterminator . Damn ants...

#383 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Waaahhh.

It's raining here, for like the fourth day in a row, my house is a disaster, I need to grocery shop, my online course is offline so I can't grade or post my exam, and I found maggots in my outside garbage can this morning. Not like one or two, either, and they were apparently clinging to the lid because they showered down when I innocently opened it to toss in some trash. I squealed and made dh haul it out into the driveway, and told him that after garbage day, he is hosing that thing down.

Sigh.

#384 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 PM

penelope~ Shudder. Hope your day improves quickly!!!

I just realized that I never did get back to the moldy bagels in my race report. So...I think *part* (but by no means all) of my general blah feeling yesterday may have been related to fueling. I usually eat a carb-filled breakfast, and instead I had primarily protein with the eggs. That's my rationalization, anyway.

Oh, and jaygee...while that's a fast bike split for ME, it's really not very fast for this race. There weren't really any hills, just a slow gradual uphill for the first 6 miles. Out of the 1600 racers, at least the top 500 averaged over 20 mph! I'm still pretty happy with 18...I was hoping for closer to 19 or 20, but I'll take it!

I took advantage of being kid-free this morning and slept in. Ahhh. The rest of the day is FULL, though. I have to do some house-cleaning in preparation for MIL coming to stay tomorrow. I have to take a mandatory library tour for one of my classes (which I'm sure will be both good and boring). After that, I'd like to go to the open lab and run through some of the things we didn't get to during our lab on Thursday. And THEN, I have a meeting/interview for my old athletic training position. A new company is taking over the contract, and while I haven't been able to confirm that they need to interview me even if I'm only doing per diem work, I figure I better show up, just in case. I probably won't have much availability to work, but I want to be able to when I can, so I can earn some extra money, ya know? Oh, and then I need to come home and study for my two tests tomorrow. Fun!

#385 of 541 Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Gaye- for sleeping in! It's such a nice treat.

I also love the race reports.

My run yesterday was ok. Hot, humid, ugh. And I crashed my bike on the way there (thanks, Myles!), and then during my run I tripped on him while trying to let some cyclists pass me.
I covered about 2 miles before I just had to quit and then we biked a bit. So, over 5 miles biked, 2 miles run.

My kids are being difficult today, Dh took the day off because he's feeling sick, and it's hot and muggy again.

Good news: Dh has a job interview tomorrow for a job within his office that he would love. So, would be appreciated!
#386 of 541 Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 AM

Hopelessly, terribly behind. It's been nuts around here to say the least with all the end of school year stuff. But I'm incredibly excited to report that
1) Ellie is at my mom for up to 3 weeks! She went a week before we planned, so this week they are hanging out, next week they have clay camp, and the week after they will hang out again unless she's really homesick. This gives me both time to do some much needed studying, but also time to get back in my workout groove.
and
2) I ran today and it was glorious! 4.5 miles at just sub 10 minute pace, lovely hills and the perfect temperature. Considering that I've wimped out due to rain 3 times this week, it was very needed.

I did have my first "come NOW" call during a run last week. Preceptor gave me a heads up call at 9, I said I was going to jump in the shower instead of running, she said to go anyway as she thought it was going to be a while. I piddled around for a few minutes, headed out.......and 1.5 miles in got another call. Needless to say, the .75 miles back (took a shortcut back) was a PR, under an 8 minute mile pace.....I kept looking at my Garmin and thinking "see, I can run fast!". Of course, I felt like I was going to puke at the end and I also didn't stretch afterwards which was a poor choice on my part. Ouch! And to top it all off, since the mama was an hour from me, I missed the birth anyway, but so did my preceptor. I walked in, the first words out of the mom's mouth were "Megan, I only had an hour of real labor!" with a huge grin.

In other news, I finally got Courtney to the doc today to address her breathing issues during soccer. Went in still somewhat doubtful it was a real problem, walked out with allergy meds, an inhaler, instructions from the rockin new ped on a supplement to get from the ND, and some blood work to recheck her iron levels after the dismally low readings last time that sparked the discussion here about our own anemia. The good news is that she played harder today than I've seen her in a while, was way more aggressive and willing to move. Of course, that also ended in her accidentally kicking the keeper from the other team because she was moving faster than she expected (I was totally ) and then getting her own foot to the ribs as the other team identified her as a threat and decided to knock her around a bit. The true test will be the tournament this weekend....stay tuned!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#387 of 541 Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Good Morning!

Memiles ~ I'm so glad your DD got some breathing meds that are working! That should make a huge difference in her play. Sorry you missed the birth, but it sounds like a super-fast one. Wish mine were like that !

Nemesis ~ to your DH for a good job interview today and an offer soon to follow!

Gaye ~ I've never managed a split over 19.9 mph. My dream is to hit 20 mph for a race. Maybe I can find a sprint course that is all downhill ! I'm happy with anything in the 18-19 neighborhood.

My run yesterday was okay. I did 3 miles of walk 1 minute/run 3 minutes. By 2 1/2 miles I was feeling numb on my peroneal nerve and achy along the fibular head, so I walked the rest of the way back. Bummer... . But I went back to the pool last night for a tri club swim practice and did 50m repeats, holding at :53-:55 seconds per interval, so that made me happy.

More swimming on deck for tonight.

#388 of 541 Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM

memiles- wow, that sounds like a big change for her soccer playing! I hope it all works out well for her.

I have a few minutes, then a busy day ahead. It is finally sunny, so the girls will have softball (1.5 hours to myself and the dog!), then after lunch DH has his interview (!! ) then running group tonight, then an outdoor concert at the museum. Wow, busy!

I read some quote yesterday that I can't remember exactly, but was about our greatest strength is to listen. I'm trying to listen better to my girls... I can get so caught up in what we aren't getting done, planning, all sorts of stuff.. but I am really trying to listen and be more present today. It is going well so far.

Happy Tuesday, Dingos!
#389 of 541 Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM

N, good luck to your dh! Hope the interview goes swimmingly.

eta: Man, 3m and my left hip flexor (maybe?) is totally aching. Dang. I have a half July 11, too. I'll have to ask my doctor for a referral to PT, 'cause this is not healing on its own. Really painful, although my 10 on Sunday felt pretty good...

#390 of 541 Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM

popping in to say hi.

Nemesis Good Luck to hubby--mine just started a new job yesterday.

Hope all are well. Had my first pain free run after our 10 mile race--was having some achilies stuff it was stressing me out but I seem to be on the mend just taking it easy.

I don't post often but do check in and always send prayers and good wishes to all dingos and families.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page