Dingos Run in the Sun...Dingo Mamas June Thread! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 541 Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Real ~ isn't Dimity like 6'1"??? You two will make quite the running pair !
Yes! Methinks we'll have to bring tjsmama along to even things out.

RM: is there a possibility of getting a home health care nurse to come in every day for a few hours to help? If you had someone for 6-8 hours, then it would ease your burden and put off the nursing home question a while longer. If that's not a possibility, then it seems like it has to be the nursing home. We can only stretch so far, and you already have so many people to be caring for. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

FM: as soon as J finishes nursing, I'm headed out for an evening run.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#482 of 541 Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all, just a drive by.

Ds and dd2 have croupe and I am expecting night 3 of little sleep. I am very tired.

I am also ready to go home, which is not happening soon. Dh is coming this Friday and then we are off to Boston/Martha's Vineyard for a week, then back and are scheduled to stay another two weeks before heading south again. I think it's going to be a week. I miss dh very much (he will go home after the 1 wk of vacation) and need to be in my own space and not around so many people for a while.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time. And it is nice, esp. now, because I"m with my brother/sil who I am very close with. Sigh.

I just kind of want my own life back, kwim? I know other couples have a thing where the wife and kids go off for most of the summer and the husband visits every once in a while, and that's cool...but it isn't working for me. I'm a little surprised because I thought it would be good to have a breather but it is too long.

Anyway. Had a great 7.5 miles on my own on Sunday, then another mile with my dd1 who is doing great. No fm since then, hoping for a good run tomorrow.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#483 of 541 Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM

RM, I think the Dingoes have good advice. Maybe look into options for some help at home, at least to bridge the gap while you all think about things. Everything continues to change in the meantime. You need help.

I think I might run tomorrow. I would have this AM, had my son not cut a 2cm gash into his friend's arm, requiring 6 stitches before I even thought about breakfast. My dear friend's son, no less. So, ds gets 10 days without swimming, since our friend has to keep his stitches dry that long. Ds is doing other labor and has also more or less grounded himself at this point. He is incredibly contrite and wants so badly to take it back, but I have to give some firm punishment. If only because we had a specific, explicit conversation about playing with dangerous items, right down to specific friends he had to take extra care with. And he took what I said and blatantly disregarded it, took a box cutter from the garage and was using it to sharpen sticks (!) outside. Of course the cut was unintentional, but the disregard for Mom's very common-sense rule was intentional.

That was the start of the day. Then the work stuff started, but I'll spare you all those details. But it seems people are beginning to smell the changes in the air, and it's making them act in crazy and yucky ways. I need to find my happy place. My boss helped me with that a little today.

So my sister is helping me out tomorrow by taking my kids for a couple hours while I work out and work, and then we'll spend a little time, I think. I feel bad for ignoring so much of the farm work, but I am spent right now. *sigh*
#484 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 AM

RM - You are amazing but you aren't a superhero, there are still only so many hours you can be dealing with other people's needs in a day. It is TOTALLY UNREASONABLE for the men in your life to expect you to take care of three boys, two grown men who will be gimping around and an elderly woman who needs a specific kind of intensive care, not just meals and clean clothes! And don't forget, you have to also take care of YOU! You MUST have help. End of story. It would be lovely if the menfolk could share realistic ideas of how you are going to get it but you cannot carry that many needy people alone.

Over and out.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#485 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
RM - You are amazing but you aren't a superhero, there are still only so many hours you can be dealing with other people's needs in a day. It is TOTALLY UNREASONABLE for the men in your life to expect you to take care of three boys, two grown men who will be gimping around and an elderly woman who needs a specific kind of intensive care, not just meals and clean clothes! And don't forget, you have to also take care of YOU! You MUST have help. End of story. It would be lovely if the menfolk could share realistic ideas of how you are going to get it but you cannot carry that many needy people alone.

Over and out.
I was composing an eloquent response, but this about sums it up. We're dealing with DH's grandparents health issues right now, and it really ticks me off the way his family is dumping all the responsibility on the one aunt who already has the most on her plate. She's going insane. I don't want that for you.

I seem to have screwed up my back. I have a knot in my left mid back that feels like a knife stabbing into me when I move the wrong way. It was most likely caused by my poor posture and hours upon hours of driving, as I can feel it worst when I drive now. Lived with it through a 36 hour hospital doula gig, trying not to gasp every time I moved as I thought it might be rude. Put up with it yesterday, only to lay in bed practically in tears. This morning it seemed a bit better, so I went to the gym and rode for 45 minutes on the spin bike and then did 15 fast minutes on the treadmill, not feeling it at all. Cooled down and couldn't breathe again without the stabbing, so high tailed it to my acupuncturist. It's now almost bedtime, I can feel it but am better off than in days past. Please, please, please let it be better.....I need a real run to think some things through and clear my head.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#486 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Memiles that sounds a lot like what I did to my back a while ago. I hope it gets better soon!

Kerc- thanks! I had already decided on Loring park because I didn't see a way to get to the trails at Wirth park. But then I saw they have a bike share program, so I can go anywhere!

Hey, guys... this place is so nice! I am kind of thinking they'll kick me out. I am on the 6th floor with the fitness center, so I'm going to check it out this morning.

Seriously. I haven't had more than 2 hours alone in years. 5? I would say maybe up to 7 years, unless you count driving time. I am kind of stoked this morning and trying to figure out what to do first! I don't want to have all these plans and then get disappointed when I am out of time, though.

I brought some of my spa products with to remedy the dry skin that comes with hotels, and then I am going to explore! I hope to run this morning, maybe this afternoon..We'll see what happens.
#487 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 AM

RM- I agree with finding some hospice/home help. That is such a huge responsibility to be taking on when you are already maxed out. Good luck getting things figured out.
#488 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Megan~ I hope your back feels better!!!

RR: 5 lovely miles in.

Now to shower myself and color my GM's hair then bathe her. Report from dh that she smells bad (he gives her her morning med).
#489 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM

RM ~ I agree that hospice/respite care at home might be a good compromise. You are only one woman, and your plate is full to overflowing already. Glad you got a run in though.

memiles ~ ouch! I hope your back feels better with the acupuncture and you can get back to those head-clearing runs.

Nemesis ~ enjoy that alone time! I felt a pang of envy reading your post .

Jo ~ Sounds like you need a little peace .

DH headed out to Dayton this morning for his final medical exam before accepting his new job. DD had so much fun at triathlon camp yesterday that DS asked to join her, so now both of them will be swimming, biking and running every morning for the next 3 weeks . At least it gets me to the YMCA for a workout. Today I plan on hitting the elliptical and maybe the treadmill if my leg isn't feeling achy.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#490 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM

RM, you've gotten great advice here. It sounds like you dh is helping right now but this is a situation that cannot last. At the very least you need respite care. She doesn't sound well enough to move on a a daily basis to something akin to adult daycare. Perhaps arranging for help in the short-term will allow you to find the best possible long-term solution.

mm, I hope your back is good soon.

jo, I hope your day gets better from here.

JG, aren't you alittle jealous of your kids?

nemesis, your travels sound lovely.

I lifted yesterday at almost the regular hour. Today was a run and yoga at almost the regular hour. I will return to the spot that feels good. In the meantime I have 2 swim lessons, newspaper routes for 2, soccer, swim team for 2, and 6 dentists appointments, and a 2 year old. Nothing but summer fun here.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#491 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Jennifer~wow! your schedule is crazy!! glad that you can still fit in work outs though, those are needed for sanity. At least in my world they are.

Jaygee~what are you going to do about your continuing pain with no dx? What is the next step?
#492 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 AM

RM, we are all crazybusy because we are can-do women BUT we need to take care of ourselves and make sure there is enough downtime. Stress and fatigue can make us all forget who we want to be. Take care of yourself.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#493 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 PM

JG, Triathlon camp? How cool! Your kids must be extremely motivated.

RM, I have to say I agree with the others about help/respite. I hope it all works out. When are the guys getting their operations?

Nemesis, enjoy your time off!

Memiles, Ouch!! Can you get a nice massage? Sounds seriously painful.

Jo, Oh, I'm so sorry for you guys re. the cut. It sounds hard for you, your DS and his friend and just everybody. Ya know, just be glad there weren't any eyes or other irreplaceable body parts involved, hope that it heals well and know that your DS will never, ever, ever play with that box cutter again!! (probably... right?)

I braved the crowds at the pool today and managed 1400 meters before getting sick of dodging everyone. Seriously, there are no 'lanes' here, just 50 people in the pool, most of them barely moving. It's like ... what is that video game where you have to move sideways and forward, dodging traffic? Frogger? That's what I feel like. I'm so jealous of the *real* swimmers on the other side of the pool, but you have to be in a swim club to get over there. Grump, grump, grump.

I had the most delicious ice cream yesterday - 1 scoop of vanilla, topped with plain yogurt and that topped with strawberries and fresh strawberry topping Lordy, was that good.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#494 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
JG, aren't you alittle jealous of your kids?
In a word ~ YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Jaygee~what are you going to do about your continuing pain with no dx? What is the next step?
I have a call into the sports medicine guy asking that same question. As far as I know, the next step is a nerve conduction test, to find out where the nerve fiber is getting "hung up" and causing the loss of sensation, numbness, and tingling. If they can find that, then a hand surgeon can actually move the nerve to a new location in my leg to prevent it from getting blocked. For now, I'm just not running which works great .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
I had the most delicious ice cream yesterday - 1 scoop of vanilla, topped with plain yogurt and that topped with strawberries and fresh strawberry topping Lordy, was that good.
I'm drooling here!

I managed 40 minutes on the elliptical at the Y, plus a shower before I picked up DS and DD1 from tri camp and dragged all three to swim lessons at the IU pool. DD2 has really figured out swimming over the last two weeks, but now she's getting in trouble all the time because she won't stay on the stairs while the instructor is working with the other 3 kids in her class. Oy.

Off to clean, organize, sort, and purge my second floor!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#495 of 541 Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 PM

Runningmommy--Please do get help. Regardless of how big your heart is and how much you really want to help, and how much you are being pressured to help, you need someone else who does this as a job and who doesn't have so much else tugging at her to help out. It's hard, though, and feels heartless to say that you aren't able to take on elderly care all by yourself. Asking for help, or even choosing an elderly home for your grandmother doesn't mean that you don't care about her. In fact, if you are overwhelmed, choosing to place her in a situation where she will be getting more attention is the best way to ensure her welfare. Easy to say, hard to do.

memiles--I hope you're able to fix your back problem. Back pain is so awful; there's just no way to get away from it. I hope yours isn't something serious and there will be some easy way to solve it.

1jooj--Ack, sorry about your son's friend's stitches! It's good that your DS is taking responsibility and realizing he did something dumb, but what a pain for everyone involved.

This morning I slept in, which was not a good choice. I woke up totally sweaty and gross because DS has decided that when it's a thousand degrees out, that's a good time to sleep in our bed.

I didn't have time to run.

I was later than I wanted to be for our playgroup, plus I spent a lot of time this morning rushing around and being grumpy with the kids while trying to get things together to leave the house.

Then things got better. We spent the day at a local lake, and playgroup friends drifted in and out as their schedules allowed. We had lunch there and I got a lot of mom-chatting while our kids played in the sand and the water.

DD was grouchy about sunscreen. I put it on once, then wanted to reapply after lunch. She said no. I compromised and said that if she'd let me do her face and chest, I'd skip the rest. She's having a skin graft a week from today, upper chest to nose, and I'm freaking out a bit about sunscreen. Therefore, those areas are fine but her entire back is (not terribly, but a bit) burned and she was whiny at bedtime. Bad mom for not forcing the issue. Looks like I'm going to keep her huddled inside under a blanket for the next week.

In good news, I spoke to the hospital about the anesthesia that had me so worried, and was told that the information is right there in DD's chart, and it will be no problem for the anesthesiologist to look at the information there and give DD the anesthesia that worked so well for her. Sigh of relief on that front.

Tomorrow=running. Promise.
#496 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Lalalala- is there a spray sunblock you can use? Those seem handy...

No run today, but a lot of walking. My legs and feet hurt!

The super awesome gym here costs extra, and I have none. So.. I'm going to try and make it down to the riverside for a run tomorrow morning.

Then I get to me kerc!!!
#497 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 AM

I'm remembering a tentative meetup plan. Next week? Boston? Nic? Zub? AshCav?

Anyway, some organization is sponsoring free Fridays at local museums and stuff. Friday the 9th is free day at the Franklin Park Zoo in Dorchester. We were there last summer and it was a pretty nice zoo; my kids would love to go back. And since I'm so cheap, free admission works well for me.

Zubeldia, I don't know if you're against zoos. I think some vegans are, but some make distinctions between captive animals and food animals.

Anyway, if anyone would like to meet us there, we'd love to see folks.
#498 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Okay, to make this a little RR, I need a run. I need a work out. Might get one tomorrow.

My GM needs to be in a retirement center/nursing home. My Dad doesn't want to do that. What do I do? I technically "could" keep caring for her for the next 4 months or more while he has surgery and recovers etc. but "should I" ??? Is that right for my "immediate" family? I know he will be upset/disappointed if I don't though, which I cringe at. Yes, I am 37, technically an adult, but geez, I'm still in that spot. She needs CONSTANT attention, really, contstant. She doesn't know to change her depends, fights at taking a bath, doesn't understand what food is or understand how to swollow food unless it's liquid or melts in coffee. (she tried to eat a charcoal briquet the other day). She doesn't remember that she lived with my dad, or that she spent two weeks with my brother.

My Dad is having surgery for one of these this Friday, and my DH is having surgery for his foot next Wednesday. Both will be on crutches for weeks.

Sigh. What should I do? Keep my GM like my Dad wants? Ask him to put her in a home??

Sorry I haven't been around lately. RM, do you want to talk via PM or on the phone about some of your questions? As you might remember, my mother lived with me for a while during the middle phase of her Amzheimer's. It was when my children were younger and it is just so hard to figure out what to do. I would be really happy to listen and talk with you if you think that would be helpful Just let me know.
#499 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I finally feel like I am healing enough to exercise after the BR surgery I had a year ago. That means I am starting from scratch which is discouraging. I mad esure I was n good shape before the surgery but all of that is gone now. I am doing lots of core exercises and then need to work through the C25K but I can't even imagine that right now

I haven't been online much since it happened to share, but my mother died three weeks ago. Even though she had Alzheimer's for 12 years and I have known this was coming for a long time and had lots of preparation in the time immediately leading up to her death, I am still surprised at how much it is affecting me. This month feels like it has been a whirlwind - I hope the summer can be gentle so that I can find some energy again.
#500 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 AM

La - you're being so watchful and loving with your dd. Hope everything goes perfectly with her procedure.

I went on a housecleaning binge yesterday, including sending dh to the bike place to get my bike repaired (and ds's bike tire fixed.) I think I talked my colleague into doing the duathlon with me, and so I'm going register for that and then borrow my mom's bike while I'm visiting her to train. Two weeks with my parents... Sections of my house are really clean, though!

Gearing up for a long run this morning... hoping to do ten. We'll see how it goes. Last time I did a longish run I did eight and had a worst-case-scenario pit stop 2m from home, so I'm trying to let all systems regulate themselves before I leave the house, iykwim.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#501 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 AM

Shanti: It's good to see you here! I've thought of you and your surgery/recovery, glad to see that you are feeling fully healed. I'm sorry to hear that your mom passed, and hope too that your summer is regenerative for you and your family

Penelope: Good luck on your long run!

La4: All the best of luck to your DD for her surgery! I hope all goes well, and glad that they are taking care to do the right anesthesia for her.

Anesthesia is the thing I'm most worried about in surgery, and it's a great relief when I find the doctor to be a good listener!

No FM today, since it was DD's Sportfest, kind of like field day. But not just *for fun*... points were gathered and the winning class got ice cream. So DD was bummed that they only got 4th place. Sigh. As much as I try to steer away from generalizations, this is ... well, it's kind of typical. It's-not-sports-if-theres-no-winner mentality.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#502 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Shanti ~ It is good to see you posting again. Sorry to hear about your mom.

Have a great meetup kerc and Nemesis!!!

We did a major round of decluttering in the basement. Today we have a trailer full for the dump and one for donation. A trailer!

I think I will try and get in a run today. I don't know the logistics of it yet, but here's hoping.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#503 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM

RM, if you and Shanti have the chance to chat, I highly recommend! She is wise and loving and will help you sort out what YOU need to do.

Shanti, here's to a gentle summer. I'm hoping it calms down here, too. I'd hoped for calm and lots of time with my kids. So far, it hasn't panned out, but it could still surface. I hold out some hope.

LaLaLaLa, I sure understand your worry. I am glad the hospital is reassuring, but mostly I hope the graft procedure goes perfectly.

kerc and Nemesis: jealous! Have fun, mamas.

poppy, my first coffee was for you today. Second will be for me. Good luck.

Penelope, a cleaning binge is better than, say...a key lime pie binge, right? Good luck.

It felt so great to run outdoors yesterday. It was cool and breezy. I'd have gone farther had I had time, but 5.5ish miles felt good, and I followed it with the abs and arms. My arthritis has been feeling worse lately, but I don't want to increase medications or start any sort of rx. I think I need to research. I also need to hire a writer.
#504 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Shanti, I was thinking about you on my run today... you're not starting from scratch. Your body will remember.

RR: decent 9m (I cut the timing too close for 10). I'm super sore, though... lots of mild/moderate pain in the front of my left hip. I'm going to go tub here in a few minutes, but I'm a little worried about my half July 11.

I'm tired now.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#505 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM

, Shanti!

, RM.

I feel so out of the loop. Between MIL's visit and homework, it's been nonstop lately, and even though I've been spending quite a bit of time on the computer, I haven't had much time for the "fun stuff", just homework. On the bright side, I did MUCH better on yesterday's tests than I thought I was going to. On the irritating side, the instructor for my online class STILL hasn't graded anything beyond our first week's introductory discussion, and we're halfway through the class. It would be really nice to know if I'm putting too much effort or not enough effort or just the right amount of effort into my discussion postings!

MIL and DS fly out to Ohio today. X is picking them up around 11, I think. It's bittersweet. It's been really nice having MIL here, but I'm looking forward to the break and the alone time. I'm sure I'll be lonely by the time DS gets back, but it's going to be soooo nice to be able to get some homework done before he goes to bed. Maybe I'll actually be able to get some sleep!

rr~Track this morning. My quads and calves are still sore sore sore, so I got the "easy" workout. 2 x 200, 4 x 400, 2 x 200. It hurt. Now to decide whether to go for a ride this afternoon, or take a nap. Or maybe both!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#506 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM

double post...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#507 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM

FM- I'm going to haul myself to the parking garage, then try for a short run. I'm not sure I'll make this week's intervals for the group, but I hope a short run will limber me up a bit. My legs and ankles are stiff!

I'm so excited to meet kerc today!

Shanti- I'm sorry for your loss.

Gaye- Yay for sleep!

Mel- I also hate that mentality. It kept me from joining in any sports until I was an adult. I love to play, but don't have a competitive bone in my body. I wish there was something for both sides, or more moderate towards the "need to win" mentality.
#508 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Shanti - It's good to see you back here mama.

RM - Thinking of you, I hope you're making some headway in finding a solution that will help everyone feel adequately supported.

Poppy - Drinking coffee for you!

Jo - for finding that peaceful summer, and a writer. What kind of writer? Advertising?

Kerc and Nemesis - Have fun!

Gaye - Enjoy the alone time.

Penelope - I bet you'll be fine for the half, that's still plenty of time for your muscles to rest up.

Mel - You inspired me to do berry parfaits for dessert last night, everyone loved them and the girls were all excited because they were so 'fancy'.

JenLove - I've done some of those trailer-full dump runs. It feels simultaneously good and embarrassing.

La4 - for your dd, I'm sure it was worth checking in about the anesthesia even if it is in her chart.

Memiles - I hope your back is feeling better. It almost looks like summer today!

I'm no fan of hot weather but it has been significantly chillier than hot here recently. Our fruit trees and tomatoes could really use temps in the say, 70's!
Regardless we did finally get the little pullets out of the house and into the old coop and we got the older hens out of the old coop and into the fancy new boat coop. They HATED being shut up in it on Monday night, I had to catch each one and lock her in while C stayed in the coop keeping the door shut so they couldn't bust out. They stayed inside all day yesterday and this morning when I let them out they seemed pretty calm so tonight they'll just head on into the new coop on their own.

Now my sights are set on ripping out the kitchen ceiling. It's going to be the grossest job I'm sure, think rain of fiberglass and mouse poops, but it has to happen. Of course the kitchen is the most active room in the house but the longer we wait the longer we make zero progress toward living in a finished product. I will also have to move my 'office' and so I'll probably be off-line for a long time once I set my plot in motion.

FM: Nothing yesterday, TKD later today. I'm super sore from Monday's class which only means that I've been a total slug for too long.

Okay, past time to move my . , all!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#509 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM

thank you so much ladies for all your insite.

Shanti~I would love to chat, if you are up for it. I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. I understand how difficult that must be. If you feel like talking with me about my GM and of course if you need to talk about your Mom, I'll PM my number. I don't knwo what your phone coverage is, but I have free minutes and long distance so am happy to be the one to make the call. Also don't know if you SKYPE?

Well, while I had my Dad at the hospital yesteray for several hours, he asked if I needed GM to go to the retirement home this weekend (she goes Thursday), as he was confused as to what I said earlier. This was while he was between hour long tests, and had just told me that he was up since 3am thinking about this external fixator. So, I was really thinking I shouldn't say what I was thinking I should say that I can't have her while I am trying to care for my husband, that it was too much to ask of him, and that I need to be there for my dad (my brother hasn't been there for him during this time) and that I WANT to be there for my GM too, but can't do everything while both dh and Dad have surgeries. sigh.

He took my hand and told me that during these times that we need to talk openly about this stuff because we can't read minds, and that we can only help what we know about, that we shouldn't need to worry about upsetting or disappointing the other one. I told him that was exactly what I was worried about (expecially since that is what upset my dad about my brother "why can't they just do it <take care of GM> while I am trying to deal with what is on my end). I didn't want to be thought of that same way. Yet, he seemed very understanding. I am not sure that he has completely resigned to the fact that GM shoudl stay at the retirement hom from now on though, so I will keep praying for that.

So while I left GM home alone yesterday here is what she did:
  • broke 2 door jams trying to get the doors unlocked
  • unlocked deadbolts that are difficult to get unlocked
  • unlocked door lock 7 feet high and she is 4 ft8
  • cut the child lock from the fridge with a knife

Then she was arguing with my dh last night (while I was out) that he treats her like a child, then started arguing with me about it when I got home. sigh.

Okay, we had a showing this morning and we just got home, so I am getting something to eat and sitting in the sunshine to "chill".

thanks again dingos!!
#510 of 541 Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Shanti, welcome back. One step at a time, and don't think....just run. You can do it. Wishing you an easy summer to ease into the new normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
La - you're being so watchful and loving with your dd. Hope everything goes perfectly with her procedure.

I went on a housecleaning binge yesterday, including sending dh to the bike place to get my bike repaired (and ds's bike tire fixed.) I think I talked my colleague into doing the duathlon with me, and so I'm going register for that and then borrow my mom's bike while I'm visiting her to train. Two weeks with my parents... Sections of my house are really clean, though!

Gearing up for a long run this morning... hoping to do ten. We'll see how it goes. Last time I did a longish run I did eight and had a worst-case-scenario pit stop 2m from home, so I'm trying to let all systems regulate themselves before I leave the house, iykwim.
La4- what a good mama you are, lots of easy surgery vibes to you and dd.

Penelope- can you shoot me some of that housecleaning motivation. It's a disaster here and I really have no excuse except for complete lack of desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
No FM today, since it was DD's Sportfest, kind of like field day. But not just *for fun*... points were gathered and the winning class got ice cream. So DD was bummed that they only got 4th place. Sigh. As much as I try to steer away from generalizations, this is ... well, it's kind of typical. It's-not-sports-if-theres-no-winner mentality.
OK, that just pisses me off. A Sportfest with a winner? And the reward is sugar? Way to teach kids to love their bodies and help them form healthy habits!

Kerc and Nemesis, enjoy your Dingo-date. We expect photographic evidence.

Yesterday I managed 4.25 (I think) that felt really, really good. The doubt about the mileage comes from the fact that I finally admitted that my Garmin's battery wasn't right. To get it fixed, I had to send it back. It was totally bizarre to be out running and have no-freakin-idea how far I'd gone. Add to that the fact that I'm using a new phone as my music source and the tunes were shutting off at what seemed like totally random intervals. So my run looked like this....start, get into a good groove, music stops. Stop, hit stop on watch timer, fiddle in armband for phone, restart music, wrestle it back into armband, remember to hit start again (or not, depending on the stop), repeat. It stopped 5 times on the run, so maybe it felt so good because I was really not running more than a mile at a stretch

Anyhoo, trying to decide if today is another run or some time at the gym. I could go to Zumba, I could do the spin bike and some legs, I could go outside and test out the fix I think I finagled for the music player. Decisions....

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page