Forum Jump: 

#61 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Exhale.

DD is in gifted 5th grade math for next year. Go DD!

Whew.

Thanks ya'll for the support. Bec, I found myself using your words over and over again. Thanks.
Way to go!!!! That's the way to be an advocate for your child.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Geo, that's awesome! Go you and go DD!

Plady, congrats!

Gaye, great race report, and congrats on the PR!

I just made a training schedule for the next 10 weeks leading up to a 10K on 8/14 (DrJen: it's the Salem Distance Run - 10K and here's the link). I couldn't find anything online that suited me (run 4x per week but sticking close to the 10% rule for increases) so I did it using a combo of Hal Higdon and RW Smart Coach. There are more 2 milers in there than I'd like - I really don't like to drop below 3 miles - but on the other hand I'm super scared of getting injured again so I need to do slow and steady. My main goal is to work up to the distance (with an 8 mile LR the week we are Dingo camping!) without getting hurt - so remind me of that if I whine about 2 mile runs or lack of speed or whatever.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#63 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Geo, good for you and good for her. That's a fierce mama she's got.

Plady, way to go!

RR: a decent 8m. Nothing fancy or focused; the humidity is really slowing me down, even when it's coolish. But I got the miles in, which feels great.

We're just barely going to squeak through the next 1.5 weeks, financially - not even that if the one cc payment due in that period is more than we can afford. Sigh. Dh came to the end of the health savings account and so just used his debit card for the rest of the medication he needed - instead of asking to buy half now, half later in the month after he gets paid. I hate that I wish he'd thought about it harder, because he needs the medication. But, it was *several* hundred dollars out of checking that I hadn't counted on. I think his next paycheck is the beginning of the upswing - my online course will bring in more money this summer, and then our deductible should be met by August sometime, so the meds will all be covered 100%.

Luckily my mom is sponsoring groceries. I hate that I'm 35 and employed and asking my mother for money for food.

It will be ok, and it could be much worse, and the safety net I have is more than most people, and it will be ok, but I feel like crap right now.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#64 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Hi ladies! not much time today, took ds2 to basketball from 8am to 9:30, drove an hour to the north to take care of friend's 4 kids so she and her dh could go to the dr. follow up from his hospitalization for diabetes. Got home around 4pm. Checking in here, dinner on the stove, then off to work tonight.

RR: I'm sore from yesterdays push ups (which is new, but there were a lot, and incline ones too), so taking today off is probably just fine. I am itchin' to run though.

I am going SUGAR FREE slowly right now, and hitting it harder on Monday. I'm still looking through the foods I eat now to see what needs tweeking and cut out, etc. trying to self educate.

Okay, off to work on some stuff for the church group.

Hugs,
Lisa

Jo~so glad to hear that your finger is on the mend. ouch! did they numb it when they lanced it? lots of drainage? did they irrigate too? call me wierd, but I'm curious.
#65 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
bec

OMG Wendy!!!! I am seriously tearing up right now thinking of how this has finally all come together for you. It has been such a tough year getting your voice heard, and refusing to back down on what is right for your daughter. Way to advocate for her!!!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#66 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Congrats, Geo. That is a huge big deal, and I hope it goes great for all involved.

Penelope, May this period pass quickly.

Gaye, what a great side benefit to the bright uniform! Finding all your friends in a race!

4mi plus weights this AM before work. Almost didn't run; too busy thinking. Glad I let that go! Because I needed that run. Work...well, what can I say? It is my last week before summer and it kinda can't go fast enough.

As predicted, dh came home and undid all the great things that were going on with the kids. As in, bringing home more of the idiot toys I had just banned and the kids had just gotten over...bringing us piles of gifts (mostly crap, not meant ungratefully, but really...crap), the usual. On the bright side, he fixed the tiller today (someone borrowed it and brought it back broken) and since we'd planted with enough space to till between, he made short work of most of the garden weeds.

On the finger...she offered a local which I declined, maybe stupidly. I had been doing epsom salt soaks, but the abcess was so deep it wasn't coming up very fast and the pressure was intense. The finger looks bruised now, but the pressure is gone. She lanced it once, then went in a second time in another direction because there was some...um, stuff...trapped in a second area, above the nail. That hurt. No irrigation. It's still draining today, but the pain is much reduced, no throbbing and it's not as hot.

Plan is to run again tomorrow AM before work. Earlier is better, but we'll see. I have an AM meeting and a lunch meeting.
#67 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM

jo~wow, hardcore!! do you have to keep it wrapped? Glad to hear it feels better and is healing.
#68 of 541 Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM

hi y'all....
Gaye, I love the bolder boulder too! so much fun. The peachtree is the only thing that can compare, really. Cooper River run is fun, but those two are just insane. nice time, too!

that's awesome Geo!

penelope, I also hope this passes for you.

I am running when I possibly can, and really wondering how marathon training is going to go this year (er, in a few weeks! gah!). But I will just GET IT DONE one way or the other, that's what I'm swearing in public and everything.

take care mamas.
#69 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Yay, Geo! Great news!

This is how I feel after today's orientation:

Wow. That was a lot to take in in one day. I have a feeling you ladies are going to be seeing a whole lot less of me. The good news is that I did get most of my questions answered. The bad news is that my checking account lost another $150. Again, good news: met some nice people, including a possibility to nanny share with. Bad news: My life is not going to be my own for the next 18 months. Especially for the months of January and February when I have a double clinical. Holy smokes. This is going to be a bit crazy. I think I'll feel a little better once we get going with classes and I can assess how much work outside of lecture that I'm going to need to put in, but right now, I am definitely feeling overwhelmed.

Did I mention that XH got DS a hamster for his birthday? Apparently, he thought it was a great idea to get a 4 year old an "easy" pet. I just hope that he doesn't expect ME to take care of the thing when he and his GF are both out of town, which is frequently. I don't know much about hamsters, but I'm pretty sure they're not one of those pets you can just leave for a few days without anyone to take care of them. Don't most parents try to talk their kids OUT of pets? I'm pretty sure this one was X's idea since I never heard anything about it until he brought it up!

rr~I desperately needed a stress relief run after today's 9ish hours of orientation. I got a quick-ish 3 and change in through the neighborhood before X brought DS back from their trip to the petstore. My legs are still pretty sore from Monday, but definitely improving. At least I know I ran HARD on Monday because I can still feel it!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#70 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Geo: Although it does seem rather pathetic that it's basically as hard as or harder than securing NSF funding to get an appropriate placement for your child in a GOOD school district. (the following is unrelated to K's math stuff, but more about your city) Your big state U is gaining an assistant hockey coach from our small state U and said coach's wife is moving to your fair city. She/they will fit in perfectly. Unfortunately along with them goes Leah's ONE friend from preschool that I might actually invite over. Why is it that my kid befriends the kids with the trashy parents who I don't trust with my kid but I sure as heck don't want to have over for a playdate? The family moving to your town is nice, but not incredibly interesting other than the dad is a hockey coach which goes a long way in this town.

Mamabeth: I was thinking about your marathon (pg with J) today on my run (could be because it was f'ing hot and I was wondering about the crazy people who go to disney to run a marathon).....was that a long time ago or what? Have I really known you people for like 6 or 7 years?

Penelope: I'm not there this month, but had I not gotten the job I sure as h*** would have been there in September. (35, educated, and broke that is).....

Plday: Happy floor finishing. I'm sure it will be lovely when I make it out that way, perhaps as soon as next summer.

Jo: here are some healing vibes ---> <--- headed your way. Ick. My husband tends to ban stuff I think is useful (sippy cups for instance), and then head out of town the week after. Luckily he didn't do that for this work trip.

Does beer count for the sugar free thing? Cause I could use to drop off the candy thing I've got going, but I'm not giving up beer at this juncture. A beer at the end of a hot day is just so dang nice.

Jenlove: fill me in here. I read your blog, I'm confused. Still listing the house but planning a garden? Not listing the house? Moving to Duluth tomorrow (it's beach day with the natural birth community mamas -- I'm the freak with two hospital births, two children who each weaned at 2.5, and the plan to public school them).

Hard run today. Felt good, but hot hot hot.

Ok must run, have a question but the dog might wear the floor out indicating he needs me to let him out.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#71 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM

hey look ----> dingot

my dh works with zazzle and so he asked me to mess around on the site for front and back and so i added this for fun (i think mandy had the t-shirt thing going with a real supplier but she's also been very busy, so i'm not sure if she's had the time.)

i ordered one from here before for a race (you can see the molly shirt maybe) and the quality is pretty crappy, so i'm not advocating that you purchase them or anything. they also wouldn't let me put 0% as the royalty, which is weird.

anyway...

i got a trail run in today, which, while great, i also had a hard time relaxing. i've been on this trail a few times recently with dh and kids, but this is the first time midweek i've gone alone. i wish i had more faith in humanity. something about living in oakland, i think, makes me more cautious, fearful, whathaveyou. i did have my dog with me but he's very teeny. not much of a threat! i carried my emergency whistle because it was the only thing i could think to have. i wish the trail had been a little busier but i did see two other people while i was out there.

jo - wow, i really hope your finger calms down! glad your dh is home, except, y'know for the crappy toy part.

geo - that's great, good for you for following all the way through

gaye - if he didn't include you in the decision to get the hamster, i'd flat out refuse! we had guinea pigs and they were lovable but a lot of work! feeding and cage cleaning, etc etc

penelope - hang in there

jaygee - i will definitely check out pearl's tri stuff, i've read a few good things about them

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#72 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 AM

Gaye--Nice race report! I'm glad orientation went well, although seemed overwhelming. The time will fly by!

Geo--Awesome news for your DD! What a great job you did of getting her the academic opportunity she needs.

Penelope--I'm so sorry about the money crunch. We're just squeaking by at the moment, but I'm hoping things will be better in a few weeks. It sucks to be worried about money all the time, which is where I find myself too often.

Didn't run today; had another bad night. Imagine a long deleted vent about DH giving DD a second dose of ibuprofen in the middle of the night instead of the dose of antibiotics he'd promised to give. DH sleeps while I google ibuprofen overdose and seethe for hours.

Today was good, though. I kept DD home from school for a little more rest time. I mowed the lawn for the first time ever and found it profoundly satisfying to grind up all of the weeds I've been hating for so long. Hung laundry out on the clothesline, colored in a coloring book.... I'm looking forward to summer vacation when this will be the pace of our lives.

Tomorrow running is on the schedule.
#73 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 AM

kerc ~ Yes, the house is still on the market. It's been on for almost 6 months so I don't foresee it selling anytime soon but who knows. We put in a small garden that I could probably dig up and transport if I needed to in pots. The potatoes are in big totes (we researched the trash can method).

Anyway, I just wanted to respond since I saw this before bed. GN Dingos!

#74 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM

dingo shirt, LOVE IT!! okay I hope this doesn't sound bad, but....those of us not in any race this year (yet) won't have our names on the shirt. maybe we could list all dingo names? maybe pr's for everyone, or just name?

Okay, off to get everyone ready for basketball camp, then home to work out!
#75 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM

I love the shirt too!

And I like the idea of listing everyone's name.

Gaye: That sounds like a long orientation! Fwiw, the nursing students I have who are at the top of their class are intelligent, persistant, and very disciplined - that you already have significant life experience (and training experience!) working toward a goal will give you a huge advantage. I my nursing students.

Jo: Hope the finger heals quickly and that you have all five in perfect working order should you need to make... hand gestures... to your dh.

I've got one last day of prep for my online class, am taking the kids to a Catholic Saint Lucia festival tonight, and also need to go to Target, clean out my car, and pack up everybody for a trip to see MIL. Plus I'm hoping to get a bike ride in (maybe a picnic lunch...)

Should be signing a contract this week for a book chapter. It has to be done by the end of the month, but I think that's actually pretty feasible. I'm really, really excited about i.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#76 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Geo ~ on getting your DD placed where she needs to be for math next year!

poppy ~ love the shirt design!

Gaye ~ sounds like the next 18 months will be tough, but it will be worth it in the end. Ugh on the hamster. Your dog will "love" it !

Penelope

Jo ~ OUCH! Hope your finger starts feeling much better soon. Glad your DH is home to help out though.

Day 1 of no sugar went great. I ended up eating an entire pint of blueberries , but no sugar! It was also day 1 of summer break and the kids had a great one. It's going to be a fun summer. Still no job prospects for DH and I'm starting to get a little scared. Only 4 months until he formally retires !

I swam another 2500m today, and if it stops raining this afternoon, I've got a group ride scheduled . I woke this morning from a long wonderful dream about running an ultra-marathon in the woods. Sigh...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#77 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Oh No! Have I missed dingo shirt time?!!! Please say it isn't so!

Ran 6 last night on the tail of a strong thunderstorm. The sky would light up like stained glass - really pretty.

Dh is being a horses butt. However, according to him it's all my fault. I hate this place.

Jo - shazaam! That had to hurt, take care of it.

Jaygee - it's not forever, and the swimming sounds fantastic!
#78 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Nice shirt! I'm not racing at the moment, but I'd also like my name on there somewhere, if possible. So I can feel like a real dingo, albeit a noncompetitive one.

Ran 4 miles this morning and feel more centered. DD has a full-day field trip to the zoo today, and for some reason I'm stressing out about it. My control freakism is coming out. I'm worried about her lunch--what will she eat? Did I pack enough food so she won't be hungry? What if she leaves her lunch on the bus? Should she wear a hat? Will she be able to keep track of it? What if she gets a sunburn? Argh. I'm being ridiculous, I know, and trying to attribute it to a stressful couple of days, rather than my own general craziness.

Okay, need to shut down now. I rolled change that I need to cash in at the bank so I'll have money to buy ground beef at the farm stand nearby, since I'm off supermarket beef. If I have some money left over, I might check out their selection of vegetable plants, too.
#79 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
bec

Love the shirt! Love the idea of the names listed on the back, regardless of races! Really, really wish I had races to list (I have lots that I've paid for that I won't compete in! )

Jo - I'm glad the finger is feeling better.

La - Sorry about the medicine snafu, but you did remind me to get Abby her morning meds before heading out!

I'm going to go do some weight training, swimming, and a trip to REI with a girlfriend today!

#80 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Gaye- I have refused a hamster/gerbil from XH not so long ago. Just say no, right?

Geo- How awesome!

kerc- I also need beer this time of year. I wish I liked wine better, but a cold beer is just so satisfying!

Speaking of- does anyone homebrew? I've got most of the supplies together now and a friend has the space.. we are just waiting on the time to do it, I think. I hope it's fun!

Poppy- Do you carry mace? I've got two (one in my purse, one in the house) and it really gives me peace of mind when I'm out running early or late. I ordered some off of Amazon for cheap and they are small containers. Easy to carry or stick in a pocket or bra.

Today has started out badly, but I am suppose to be busy anyway. DD starts softball today and I hope it is good. Then Tuesday DD2 starts a kids funtime activity at the same time and park as DD's softball. Anyway, I just hope things go smoothly.
I was up sick to my stomach most of the night, then DH really hurt my feelings this morning when I told him I thought I needed some extra sleep. I've been really trying to pick up the slack here because he's having some second thoughts about his job lately, but maybe he isn't seeing it. He left without talking to me this morning (other than rude comments about getting up) and I've been a mess between the crying and bathroom runs. TMI, I know.

What a morning. I have to get the kids fed so we can go to softball.
#81 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM

sorry! this is not the t-shirt mandy is doing the t-shirt and all that stuff on the back was just a mock-up, not a real list (i just grabbed it from drjen's post)

i needed to mess around on zazzle so i grabbed the art - sorry for the confusion. it actually would not be a bad way to go so everyone could get what they want, but i happen to think that their 'tech' choices are pretty crap.

anyway...sorry for the confusion, i just thought y'all get a kick

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#82 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM

I have my cranky pants on today.

I love the shirt idea. While I enjoyed having my name on the last and if there are names on the next I want mine included another idea is to leave names off, print only on the front to save money. I am not sure how much it saves if any or how disappointed people would be in this idea but I am throwing it out there.

I am big on not carrying anything that could be used against me (mace, guns, etc) but I've tooted that idea here a few times and it wasn't a new idea then.

I have five good eating days in a row right now and I've been running/lifting/swimming as planned. I hope I can keep that momentum going. Tonight the oldest two have a swim meet and I actually have everything arranged childcare wise so that I can work at it. I still need to pack a cooler of dinner for three kids plus Linus's babysitter and enough towels and what-not but that is the plan for today.

I am working on my fall race schedule (now that I have missed early registration deadlines). There is a half I would like to do the weekend of dd1's birthday and a full I want to do the weekend of ds1's birthday. I don't think they would care so much as I would feel guilty. I also need to decide what will feel good and what will result in injury or burnout. Hmmm, things to think about.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#83 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM

poppy ~ I do like the shirt - even if it was a mock up. I also like a Dingo list on the back rather than races. I guess I did do a race already this year though.. wow. Seems like it's been FOREVER ago.

Yay Penelope!

Happy Birthday, Plady! I hope it's filled with love, laughter, and a good run. Followed by some wine and cross training.

I did my hundreds before bed and my arms are still sore (I'm guessing from my arm technique in hooping I'm attempting and my max out the other day). Dang, without a break in between it sure takes a long time to recover.

This morning, V and I went for a walk with our dog. I think it was about a mile or so in VFFs but my phone died with my measuring app on it. Tomorrow I am manifesting a run... just me

#84 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Mommajb - Hope the cranky pants come off soon!

Poppy - I do like the non-tech version though I'd be paralyzed with indecision if I had to choose between tech/non-tech.

Gaye - for your dh, I hope he doesn't think you're ever going to hamster-sit, once that rodent gets into your house it will be very hard to get it out.

BBM -

Nemesis - I just heard a story on NPR about homebrewing that made it sound ridiculously easy and for the duration of my short attention span I was really psyched to try it too! Keep us posted!

Kerc- Yes, we will definitely have serious headway in the rehab dept by next summer. My deadline for significant improvement is December when it's my month to host the Bunco ladies.

Memiles - Keep me posted about your schedule! You can be the first Dingo to see the new living room floor! And you'll get to see the old-floor too so you get both before and after! And we'll have

I want to do one of those crazy fun races! All the races I've done have been nice, but not crazy fun as far as the race itself goes. This weekend is the SJI marathon and Half and I feel guilty that I'm not running any part of it. I'll volunteer I suppose although I was toying with the idea of setting up a bacon station a la SF Mary, somewhere really random on the course. We'll see, if I can convince dd to do the kids run I'll probably just help out at the finish.

Thanks for all the birthday love on FB ladies, that's nice to wake up to. Last night dd said, "Geeze mom I can't believe you're not more excited about your birthday!" What to say to that? "Well honey, some years I don't get anything for my birthday so the humiliation of getting excited for nothing is more than I can stand"? Um, no. Happily she didn't wait for an explanation. We'll see how it all plays out, I actually have a book club thing tonight so the plan as far as I'm aware is to do a b'day dinner tomorrow night.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#85 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM

OK so my walking buddy bailed on me yesterday but instead of doing nothing I left the car at home which meant about 5 miles altogether just getting DD to school, getting to work, walking the dogs, etc. Then later in the day my workout/running buddy sent an email pleading for someone to get out with her on a regular basis. Is that wild or what? I missed her return email last night ('cause I was already asleep) so we did not get out this morning but I have left her a VM pleading to get out together tomorrow morn. How's that for handling adversity and moving smoothly to plan b?

Geo, I am very excited for your DD! I am so worried about my DD and 1st grade next year. We've had some real bumps this year.

OK I wanted to say a lot more but I just ran out of time... Le Sigh.
#86 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM

I love the shirt! I was going to buy one from there....it would be tons easier than sending them all out to the four corners of wherever, right? I haven't been around so much this year so I don't know what the deal is, but I love that cutie Ms. Dingo on there and that it's so different from the other ones we've done!

I just had to sign the paperwork that made my pay cut "official," and while I still have my insurance (which I fought for mightily!), it still made me feel a little nauseous. I have a job and I am grateful, I swear, but still, ergh.

I did weights this morning. I really don't like doing it, but I watch stupid TV and it helps, and it really does produce results like running can't all the way.

Kerc---YES, you have known us people for forever! I've been a dingo since 2003. Ran the pregnant marathon in January of '05. INSANE. don't know what I'd do without you mamas!
#87 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Beth.

Re: the shirts, if zazzle isn't so good w. tech shirts, is there a place that's better? It does sound like an easier way to get them all out - each person ordering her own, I mean. Then Mandy won't get stuck w. all the work. Although did we discuss compensating the person who organizes w. a free shirt? (I seem to recall that! And it sounded like a nice option for a mama on a budget.)

I love the graphic.

#88 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM

the boys:
the girls:
me:

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#89 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM

hi all - sorry i haven't gotten very far with the shirts. I did have my friend send me some links to tech shirts, and played with the graphics a little and then got super busy with life. i think that the quality would be better if i get off my arse and finish the graphics and have my friend do it then if we did the cafe press/zazzle route (though i confess to not being too familiar with zazzle quality). what if we did the racelist, and for those that might not be racing add in a 'Runningmommy - not thinking, just running' or other saying like that...

i raced last night in our weekly training mtn bike series and did okay. I wasn't geared correctly and i didn't fuel right so i definitely was slower than i felt i should have been. Happily I did have the best time out of the three women doing three laps.

my brother phoned last night. those of you that have been around for a long time might remember that he's an interesting guy. Well, they're expecting their first baby next month. He's unemployed. They're broke and in debt in so many ways and he was brainstorming on how to ask my parents for $1000/month while she is off of work for maternity leave. which has me feeling all sorts of emotions i predict some uncomfortable conversations in our future. i should add that they've been getting a LOT of help this year - including the $ for the IVF and my poor parents are really stressed out about what to do.

i have more i want to say, but have to jump off for phone calls for work.
#90 of 541 Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
bec

Can I vent for a moment?

I watch my neighbor's daughter before and after school most days. I have known this girl since she was 2 months old. My kids are best friends with her. We love her. She's like a 4th daughter to me. I'm very close to her mom as well. Let's call her E.

Anyway, I'm so DONE with this kid's teacher! This is a sweet, sweet kid. But, she's not very talkative with teachers, or unfamiliar authority figures. She's more of a fade in the background around adults she doesn't know (totally not like that with familiar adults). Anyway, her teacher is so freaking checked out it isn't funny. She came home from school crying today. I asked her what was going on, and she told me that her friend in class, who she's been friends with all year long, told her today that she was just "pretending" to be her friend. And she was, according to E, trying to get the rest of the girls in the class to be mean to her. This is troubling enough, but I asked her if she told her teacher, and she said, "Yes! She told me to use my 'I' words, but I WAS and they weren't listening to me!" I'm just heartbroken for her. She is being bullied by someone who has been her friend all year long (I asked, and she said they didn't have a fight or disagreement), and is getting NO support, compassion, or protection from her teacher! I phoned E's mom, but she is not one that is confident in confronting the school, and feels like she has to have all the information and all the facts before reaching out at all. And the teacher doesn't return phone calls, notes or emails, so she would have to go to the principal or social worker. While I know they are both very accessible and easy to talk to, my friend is not so confident.

All I could really do was to cuddle her and let her know that she didn't deserve it, it was really mean of this girl to do that, and that she certainly wasn't being a friend, this isn't how friends act, etc. I wish there was some more advice I could give her, but I really can't think of what. We have one more week and an hour on the 14th till the end of school.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page