Dingos Run in the Sun...Dingo Mamas June Thread! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JayGee - WTG on your 50 meter time! Hope you get a diagnosis soon. It's crazy how long you've been trying to figure out what's going on.

tjsmama--how was the class? I'd ignore the recommendations and use a notebook, personally. I think they were given for the new generation of student for whom "notetaking skills" or "write down the important point" is a foreign concept.

La4--glad you got that run in after all.

1jooj--hooray for 6.5 miles and feeling more peace of mind. I've not been doing well with that on my end, and I really need to start.

kerc--Don't worry--you'll do fine at the half anyhow.

Nemesis--I hope tomorrow is better.

Decided it was too hot to run anywhere yesterday, and besides that J spent several hours nursing and spitting up (rinse, repeat). So, I took R out in the stroller after dinner for 3. Our agreement was that she'd lay down with DH afterward (or, I could lay down with her and she wouldn't run with me), but now she's in the bedroom wailing because she no longer wants that agreement and now wants me to lay down too. "Mooooommmmmmmmeeeeeeeee" She's 5. I'd really like to envision a time when we say "goodnight" and walk out of the room, but then again, I'm also envisioning my thighs and abs returning to their pre-pregnancy state in the next month. Guess I need to come to terms with the reality that none of those are going to happen anytime soon.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM

RR: decent 4m. I'm not breathing very well in the humidity, and can tell I need more stretching/yoga, but it was a good run. Now I have to decide whether to take the kids to the beach or garden today.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 PM

So very, very sleepy this morning. I only got one "article" (which was actually a chapter out of another text ) and a chapter read last night before I couldn't stay awake any longer. Holy smokes, if all the readings for this class are like those two, it's going to be a loooong 8 weeks. BORING. I think a nap is going to be in order for this afternoon so I can get mass amounts of reading done tonight.

rr~Track workout. It was a (relatively) long one this morning. Not so much the workout part, but the recoveries were long, which really stretched it out. 2 x 400, 3 x 800, 1 x 400, with 400 recoveries. My legs are still pretty dead from this weekend, not snappy at all, but when I downloaded my splits they weren't too horrible. We're off for a bike ride in a few minutes for workout #2 of the day!

smilies from DS:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the

I am feeling better today. I just don't know what is up, or what to do to keep me feeling better.

I am already committed to getting more exercise and eating better, so what now? I am getting enough sleep.

I know I am overwhelmed and stressed right now. Next week will be better, after this big festival is over.

Anyway. I skipped running group last night. It was pouring rain and right before it was time to go, we discovered a grave error in our financial calculations. So, instead of running I stayed home and figured out how to get every available dollar into our account to prevent an overdraft/bounced checks. It was totally our fault, we had $X left when we figured our money but the rent check hadn't gone through yet- over a week late! Dang.

So, at least biking and running is free!

I will get a run in this afternoon, shooting for 3 whole miles! I've been doing the RG intervals and only making about 2.5.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM

RM: Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's accident! What a horrible thing to happen to him!! And being released so early!? How is he doing now? TG he has you and his GF to help out. I hope he heals quickly.

Jo: I just caught up on about 7 pages of missed posts, so I saw how frustrated you had been feeling, and wanted to say that you had a nice run and a break-through of sorts.

JG: glad that the compartment testing is done ... even though the answers weren't so clear.

Bec: i hope you get cleared for your tri this upcoming weekend!

Penelope: Oh, I hate that feeling of only having enough $$ to squeak by.

Nemesis: I hope today is better . Good idea to try the iron supplement. (cross-posted with 'ya - glad you are feeling better, but for the financial stress)

Gaye: Wow, school sounds exciting and so .... busy!! I can't even imagine taking all those classes. I bet it will be fun. Hard, but fun.

Lisa: OK, you cracked me up with the abs/thighs comment, about facing reality, but lady, you just had a baby!!

Knee is unchanged, and I'm not really fretting about it any more. The past 2 weeks have been so busy with travel, visiting, being a tourist and walking all over the place, but it did help me relax and get some perspective on my (physical) situation.

I bought myself a magazine that showed some tips for swimming. I haven't had a chance to get in the pool since then, but I really want to go try out the stuff that I read. Two things: look at the bottom of the pool, not ahead, and only kick as much as a normal step would be, no more. Kind of like a swinging motion from the hip down through the knee then ankle, but keep the motion short.

It's hot here! Yay! Finally. Finally, I don't have to use hand-warmers for my feet at night. Finally, I can leave the house without a jacket.

OK, 8 year-old is torturing 4 year-old. That's my cue!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 06-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
I bought myself a magazine that showed some tips for swimming. I haven't had a chance to get in the pool since then, but I really want to go try out the stuff that I read. Two things: look at the bottom of the pool, not ahead, and only kick as much as a normal step would be, no more. Kind of like a swinging motion from the hip down through the knee then ankle, but keep the motion short.
On the head thing: you want the water to hit your forehead someplace between your hairline and your eyebrows. Ideally about half-way in between. That has you looking someplace between down and up. Down = you have a hard time seeing where you are going. Head position can sculpt body position -- lift head too high and your butt sinks.

PUMPKIN: I think we're finally out at our grocery. Can I used jarred baby food and less liquid?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
PUMPKIN: I think we're finally out at our grocery. Can I used jarred baby food and less liquid?
Wait. You have jars of pumpkin baby food? I don't think we have that here (ever). Who makes it? Anyway yes, I think that would work, or you could always try sweet potato which is what has been most frequently recommended to me during this shortage.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Nemesis, I hope you figure things out. I myself am feeling a bit lonely and disengaged from everyone lately. No good reason that I can discern here. I mostly feel like I am accomplishing nothing and disappointing everyone around me.

I couldn't decide if I should run today or take a rest day. I decided to run but by the time I was dressed and the girls were at school it was pouring so I went to the gym to try the rowing machine. I guess it is a rest day. I rowed for 30 minutes on the highest resistance level. It was a seemed to be a cable type pull that is held with two hands but really there was nothing. Thirty minutes in I was still able to chat and what not. My backside was a little numb when I stood up but other than that I didn't even break a sweat. After a quick shower for me the rain stopped. Bah. Alice has an honors assembly at school and then my afternoon of chauffeuring and such will begin. At least it keeps me out of the kitchen.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM

mommajb

It's SO flippin' humid here today. Another woman from tri club is meeting my at my house and we're biking down to the lake for open water swimming tonight, and then biking back up the monster hill afterwards !

DD1 is ANGRY. DS got invited out for ice cream with a friend, and apparently hanging out with Mama and DD2 at the library is NOT what would be first on her agenda, if she had the choice .

VBS is going great! But I can't stop singing the songs !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
On the head thing: you want the water to hit your forehead someplace between your hairline and your eyebrows. Ideally about half-way in between. That has you looking someplace between down and up. Down = you have a hard time seeing where you are going. Head position can sculpt body position -- lift head too high and your butt sinks.
this is interesting to me because i have a book that says the same thing that mel posted. it recommends keeping the crown of your head in line with your spine which is definitely more down than having the water between the hairline and eyebrows. however, when i was attempting to swim laps yesterday and keeping my head down, i wanted to keep looking up to see where i was going! i can imagine in an open water swim, sighting is important so i can't imagine being able to look down quite so much.

i also watched a bunch of videos online regarding the total immersion technique, which is too advanced for me, but i found some interesting info there. swimming is a challenge for me, so i find myself not doing all this posturing so naturally.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm sore today, apparently from running on my TM at home. It feels so unstable compared to the actual earth--or the Y TMs--and I think that is making me tense muscles I otherwise don't. Oh well, 3mi in the noonday humidity in crazy wind on the waterfront while the kids played in the crowd. Now to make some lunch, and maybe some stretching and ab work this afternoon.

Nemesis, enjoy the free activities with all their free health benefits. Money is so stupid.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
bec

So, I got back from the doctor. They have cleared me to do everything that is low/no impact! So, I can do the tri! I can swim and bike and walk the 5k! I'm so excited! It will still be another 3 weeks before I am allowed to run again, but I should be able to run the Freedom Classic 5k! This is me right now!

DrJen - Can you please put Naperville Women's Triathlon for June 13, and Freedom Classic on July 3 on the race list?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Bec, that is awesome news!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM

Yay Bec !!!!!

I just pre-drove the route from my house to the lake for tonight and the ride home will be brutal. A looooooong, steeeeeep climb straight up ! And after swimming an hour ! Why am I stoked??? !

Re: swimming head position. I swim like kerc recommends. I tried once to look at the bottom of the pool and ended up at the chiropractors with the worst tweak in my neck. What I've been learning (and practicing) is full body rotation. Basically, I never am on my stomach, I'm either on my right side, or my left side, or rotating between the two. Not sure why it works, but it does. Can't wait to try the technique out in the open water !

Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Bec

FMR: another hour long walk at 6am with my walking buddy and another lady this morning. Not very strenuous, but given how humid it was, I was glad it wasn't. Does anyone else get puffy hands while exercising when it is humid or hot?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
this is interesting to me because i have a book that says the same thing that mel posted. it recommends keeping the crown of your head in line with your spine which is definitely more down than having the water between the hairline and eyebrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
What I've been learning (and practicing) is full body rotation. Basically, I never am on my stomach, I'm either on my right side, or my left side, or rotating between the two. Not sure why it works, but it does. Can't wait to try the technique out in the open water !
This is what we're teaching (or trying to) with the kids. It's like your head (with your face looking straight at the bottom of the pool) is a pivot point for your body to twist on. And your right cheek and right shoulder are basically touching when you have your right arm extended, then as you pull past the point where your right hand hit the water you swivel your bod from the neck down until your left cheek/left shoulder are touching. As you pull past your hand your thumb runs down along the side of your body. I had learned the 'making-an-S-with-your-arm' style pull before but I think this swiveling from side to side is much more efficient and easier for long swims. Of course, if you are in open water this technique makes spotting harder but I guess you'd just look up every few breaths or something. And all this makes me think that if I'd been at the pool this morning instead of home pretending to be productive I wouldn't have gotten trapped on the phone for 2.5 hours (!!!) by an old friend. I like to chat now and then but I was chewing my arm off trying to find a way to get off the phone gently, it was brutal.

Oh, sugar-free since Monday mamas? You all in still? I'm doing no desserts + back to basics workout schedule. I just can't deal with going total low carb right now, I can barely get dinner on the table as it is, take away my rice and pasta option and it will be even lamer.

I am all hopped up to stop using my car though. Yesterday my leg was better enough that I decided to risk riding into town to pick up Alison in the Burley. It was fine. My leg still is a little tender but not crazy painful or swollen. Today it rained and I'm not that hardcore yet so no nothing until TKD tonight FMwise.

No memiles meet-up . There is barely any cell service on the island and certainly none at the cg she was at. I thought about buzzing over but the times I had free were times when any decent tour director would have had everyone off kayaking or biking or playing on the beach. One of these days, she had two gorgeous sunny days at least so I hope it was a good time for her.

Bec

JG - Enjoy your swim/bike!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone, just drive-by posting to say hello. We made it up north after a several-hour drive to the train, the 16 hour train ride, and the 5 hour ride afterwards.

My kids are hangin' with their Baba now (my dad) watching a dvd, and I"m playing on the computer. I'd really like to go to bed but even for me 7:15 is a little early. Hmm.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Bec!

I am going to get to bed before 10 tonight. I need to get my AMs back. I'm wondering, if I can squeeze in 3mi early in the AM as workout insurance, then maybe I can get through the days without being evil. *sigh*

Plady, I want to give up the car for most of my summer errand-running, too...but I just don't think my kids have the skills yet. I'm so close to town it's embarrassing, but ds is on his own bike and I'm afraid he'll fizzle before we get home. Plus, we'd need to do all this biking between 9:30 and 2 or so, since that's when the highway turns deadly. One of these years.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Hi Nic! That's too much travel for me to consider these days. Take care!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM

bec~ Hooray! So happy for you!

Workout #2 of the day was a 17.5ish mile bike ride, pulling the trailer. I fully intended to take it easy, which I did, intensity-wise. But when you're pulling 80+ lbs you, easy is a relative term. Especially when there's a few pretty good hills in there! DS had to stop about 2 miles from home to go potty, and in the process, I found a bag of dog poop in the pocket that had been in there who knows how long...at least a couple of weeks. I think I've identified the not-so-fresh smell that's been lingering in my car despite the cleaning and air freshener. and

Also, push-ups and sit-ups. The push-ups were excruciatingly painful, thanks to lingering soreness from Monday's work-out. Ouch!

I have much reading to do tonight, and a discussion posting, but I really just want to take a nap. Sigh.

DS wants smilies again:

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Gaye, that's pretty funny (dog poop that is).

Remember that dicey situation I was having with my house? IT's not over. Can we say HIGH STRESS LEVEL?!

I am going to have to deal with it in person; at least now I will be able to. I am skipping a much-anticipated conference this weekend (Torah homeschooling) because I just can't fathom more travel (it would be a 3 hour there, 3 hour back drive in one day -- can't leave the kids longer, folks have plans on Monday).

Sigh. I need a run, but I"m too tired and it's pouring rain. Tomorrow...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM

bec--yay!

plady--that's great news. I really enjoyed the summer that I biked or ran as many errands as possibly. I'm looking forward to it again next summer.

nick--ugh on the house. I hope you get it settled once and for all.

RR: pushed the double to the library and back and seem to be getting faster too. Also, I seem to have gained 4 lbs in a week. I don't really care what my weight is right now, but

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
bec

Gaye - That is funny in a nasty dog poop, glad it's not me, but for the grace of God go I kind of way. At least the smell should dissipate now!

Nic - Oy, the travel! I hope you have a restful rest of the week, and that the house stress goes away.

Thank you ladies for the well wishes! I am so excited to be well again. There was a camp parent meeting today at a school that is a quarter mile from here. I had a lovely walk there and back! Not even a twinge!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
And your right cheek and right shoulder are basically touching when you have your right arm extended, then as you pull past the point where your right hand hit the water you swivel your bod from the neck down until your left cheek/left shoulder are touching. As you pull past your hand your thumb runs down along the side of your body.
i'm having trouble figuring this out - but it sounds like great information!

can you describe one more time? i guess i am not sure how swiveling just from the neck down gets your arm and shoulder together? it's probably really obvious but i'm just

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM

Gaye, I am so glad that is not me. I do have a baby bjorn little potty in a plastic bag in my car but I am pretty sure I rinsed it out last time it was used. I have been blaming the lingering odor issues here on Alice's keens. Are they really machine washable?

Nic, I hope you can deal with the house situation once and for all as you are there.

bec, I am so excited for you.

My children are behaving much better. I have been demanding much politeness and early (on-time) bedtimes since dh left. My days are not smooth but the little ones are remembering what is expected. Tonight's last tantrum was from Linus. He was sure I hadn't turned off the light when he was put to bed. Um, no. It is just that light at your bedtime sweetie. We live on the western edge of the time zone; welcome to June, go to bed son.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 PM
bec

Has anyone heard of Total Immersion swimming? I am very intrigued and have heard a bunch of good things about it, but would love to hear from the swimmers I know! The workshops are big $$.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 AM

mommajb ~ Kirsten has the same issue with it being "too light" at bedtime. Glad your days are going a little more smoothly.

bec ~ I don't know a lot about Total Immersion, but some of the drills I do are from there (according to our tri club coach).

Tonight's workout was GREAT! I biked with another woman from my house to the lake (20 minutes... all downhill), then swam about an hour, and then rode home (same distance, but it took 35 minutes back uphill!) When we arrived back at my house, all 3 of my kids, plus a couple of neighbors were running around playing tag with our BEST babysitter ever! Seriously, she's a PE major and all she does is play. Jacob said, as I rode up, "Awww.... Mom! Why are you home already?!"

Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 AM

So sad that the Plady meetup didn't work! As she said, no cell service at the campground at all, and didn't have free moments when we were out and about to call as I somehow ended up with the biggest group (5 kids) and was the only parent without a second adult in their group. What the heck? Luckily, I got an awesome group of kids and didn't have a single problem, but no down time. I'm hoping your leg is feeling better, it would have been great just to meet even if we couldn't run. Now I'm wondering if I drove past you on the bike at some point!

I have to say, SJI is gorgeous. We did mostly the historical stuff, plus some whale watching. At camp, it was all FM- two huge soccer games and Mr. Palmer's annual parent v. kids game of capture the flag. Come to find out, most of the kids AND the parents consider me the athlete of the group The good news? I actually was the one that captured the flag and won the game for the parents. Go me!

As an interesting note, Mr. P does a campfire discussion centered around the transition to middle school each night. The second night was about bullying, strategies for dealing with it in a middle school setting, etc. The discussion seemed to head more towards the boy issues because the class is 15 boys and 8 girls, but it still was great to hear the discussion. These kids have been in a very closed environment (50'ish kids per grade, the same kids for 6 years), so releasing them to the wilds of the big middle schools is pretty scary for most of them. I feel very blessed that Courtney is going to the arts school after hearing about the other schools and what some kids have faced in the transition. I know it will still be a possibility, but I feel like the small school dynamic at least makes it more likely that adults will notice, kwim?

Tomorrow is clinic, then Friday launches the "great get back in the swing of things" workout routine. This last month has kicked my booty!

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 AM

I have half my honey spun out, an Oliver 550 with hydraulic loader in the yard, and I just met two cool people--the guy we bought the Oliver from and his son-IL. The SIL is a mechanic who wants a kombucha mushroom next time I bottle. The older guy buys no meat, just does fish and game he harvests himself. And raises worms. I gave them honey. I'm guessing maybe 30 pounds when all is said and done tomorrow (I hope).

I know I said I'd be in bed early...but we just drank a pot of tea with these guys and gave them the nickel tour, and one thing led to another. 3 hours later, they're on their way home.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Total Immersion has a book and videos available from Netflix. The book is great, I have not seen the videos.

User Tag List