Mothering Forum banner

Dingos Run in the Sun...Dingo Mamas June Thread!

20K views 540 replies 31 participants last post by  Mel38 
#1 ·
June thread!

Where's that sunshiney smiley?

#2 ·
Two more weeks of school here. I think I'll let ds1 out other than placement exams and figuring out fall/uniforms/schedules/supplies/etc. School starts up Aug 11... I am so excited he has a uniform and we won't have to do a clothing battle. He even has to tuck in his shirt. I hope they require a belt. I am such a dork.

This is the weekend we top off dh's summer wardrobe which is always fun.
Personally I get by with Target C9 black tees. I would love to be Title 9 and such but $$ doesn't permit. Ah well, he is not a clothes horse and he is soooo hard on his clothing.

If we get that done on time the kids want a card playing marathon and we might go see Shrek 9 or whatever # we are up to. For now they are running loose in the neighborhood while we do a bit of cleaning so the cards don't stick to the table/floor/counter/walls.

I guess that's enough
from me for now.

FMR: 6 miles in the mugginess. It started to rain and we couldn't be sure due to the humidity.

#3 ·
I'm confused. Is it June where you are?

But hey, I'm up for a new thread...

I made it almost 3 miles this morning. It was raining pretty good, so I was soaked when I got home. My puppy has lost more weight from our running than I have
. He needed it!

#4 ·
Woo, we have a new thread early.

Happy Memorial Day!!! What are you all up to today?

We have no plans.... maybe we'll go see our parents. I'm not sure. I kind of like being at home because it rained overnight and it's still kind of gloomy. And I need to catch up on laundry.

Still up to date on my hundreds. Went out for a run/walk in the scorching heat yesterday (ND you are hardcore.. it was HOT).

Way to go Ash and ND!!!!
Did I miss any race reports???

#5 ·
Subbing...and saying YEAH, Nic, I think cellulitis.
Will get abx tomorrow and try to keep the finger.

Dh starts his journey home in 2.5 hours. We hope to have him here midday tomorrow.
He asked me if I could please, please please think of anything he could bring me from Kuwait. I thought really hard. All I want is a long break from responsibilities. I am this excited-->

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Subbing...and saying YEAH, Nic, I think cellulitis.
Will get abx tomorrow and try to keep the finger.

Dh starts his journey home in 2.5 hours. We hope to have him here midday tomorrow.
He asked me if I could please, please please think of anything he could bring me from Kuwait. I thought really hard. All I want is a long break from responsibilities. I am this excited-->

My dad had cellulitis a few months ago. With abx it started improving overnight. Take care. If you have to wait until tomorrow, maybe you can get some colloidal silver?

#7 ·
tjsmama--I saw your results and you're awesome!

I'm missing being there, and especially running. I know it's not feasible, especially because I couldn't leave J for that long at this age and I'm not convinced that walking it would have been a good idea, but it's the first time in nine years I haven't been there. (I walked it when pregnant with R and the next three years.) The fact that R is being difficult this morning and DH is being clueless is not helping.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
44:50 in the "hilliest 5 miler in central Ohio" and pouring rain. Several tactical errors, including wearing cotton socks.
Hot damn, woman! You're FAST!

Hope the Bolder Boulder went well today, Gaye. Sorry you weren't able to run it Real. I know how it feels to miss a race that is an annual event for you

I just got back from a 26 mile bike. It was awesome, although I ran out of steam after the first hour or so. Should have had breakfast beforehand... I also devised a training plan for my AquaBike race in July and I think by adding 10 miles a week to my long ride for the next 5 weeks, I can be well enough prepared for the 56 mile bike leg
!

Headed to the lake this afternoon for some family swimming. Happy Memorial Day everyone!!!

#10 ·
Nice races Geo and Gaye!

I'm here to try to bolster my flagging commitment so I can go out and have a decent long run today. Long for me is probably <5 miles
. I'm still feeling so discouraged about the whole not being able to keep up a solid training schedule and overbook the rest of my life too. And I gave up sweets to no avail! I really thought that would give me a bit of an edge in flabbo reduction but nope. Gar.

Jo - That finger sounds kind of serious! I hope it's easily healed but yikes woman!

Real - Sorry you missed your race, and that your dh is giving you cause for regret, that blows.

JenLove - I'm so impressed with your tenacity! I
to you.

Okay, I'm going, my podcasts are loaded and I have no good excuses, dh even has taken the girls to the parade so I could get some time off, better make it worth having!

#11 ·
Oh, how nice! I was intending to get back in the MDC swing with the June thread, and here it is! I need to get in the habit of working out and running again. Anyone else starting over or on the injured list want to be a virtual workout buddy with me? I could really use some accountability if I'm ever going to catch up to Geo again.
(never could catch Gaye!)

Go plady go!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
44:50 in the "hilliest 5 miler in central Ohio" and pouring rain. Several tactical errors, including wearing cotton socks.
Very nice job despite the tactical errors!!!

Thank you all so much for your support yesterday.

I will have to work on a race report. I'm not the type who can remember a lot of details from races but I do have some thoughts: ahhh this is nice and easy, joy, oh crap I really have to pee, where's a porta potty, why am I so cold and why do I have goosebumps when it's 60 degrees out, ahhh there's a porta potty, relief, thank goodness for salt packets, damn I have to walk, ughhhh this hill sucks (cried going up a huge hill when I saw my mom, boyfriend and aunt), what the he!! was I thinking running a marathon, ugh I can't do this, yes you can, just walk when you need to, stop walking, just run, ahhh I feel good again and yes I'm done, I did it!

While I originally wanted sub 4 (which I know now was a little too ambitious), I am thrilled with my 4:10:47! Especially with averaging 28.4 miles/week over the 17 weeks leading up to the race with a peak week of 45 miles and 3 really low mileage weeks due to injuries. I walked far more than I wanted but oh well. I started too fast (the pacer didn't help here). I freaked out when I was cold and had goosebumps. I hate the huge hill. But I can't wait to run my next marathon! My fastest mile was 8:44 and slowest was 10:56. I loved the volunteers handing out oranges, soooo yummy. And those are my incoherent thoughts a day after. I'm sore and tired but feeling very accomplished.

#13 ·
jo - I hope your finger is ok. It sounds pretty gnarly.

nic - I hope you find your mojo soon. I've never moved to a different climate but from talking to people who have it seems like it takes years to acclimate. I hope you don't have to suffer through lousy runs for the rest of the summer.

geo - great job!
The thought of cotton socks in a rainy race is making me cringe. Did you blister horribly?

plady - you just barely gave up sugar, right? Patience young grasshopper.

ash - you did great!
I'm chuckling at your thoughts because it sounds like exactly what goes through my head during a marathon.

I'm still following the CFG Marathon Recovery Program, which is basically, get sick and don't run at all after the race.
<sigh> I'm still holding out hope for tomorrow. I can't really complain though, because I think the last time I was sick was late last summer and usually I catch every little thing that's going around.

#14 ·
Hi, I'm Kristin, I own two cars that have over 100,000 miles on them and yet I'm surprised when I have to spend 5 hours in the tire store on Memorial Day because of a wheel noise that developed we drove >1000 miles on the highway. 2 new tires, alignment + 2 new tie rod ends - 700 bucks and I'm on my merry way. Bonus: I spent 4 hours shopping by myself on a non-busy day and came home with clothes, real live clothes, not just tried on a bazillion items that didn't fit.

I desperately need to run 8 or so miles today because dh leaves tomorrow. Instead: I'm shooting for 5 today, 5 on wednesday and 9 on friday. This instead of being able to stick with a real, live half training program. Wish me luck.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Oh, how nice! I was intending to get back in the MDC swing with the June thread, and here it is! I need to get in the habit of working out and running again. Anyone else starting over or on the injured list want to be a virtual workout buddy with me? I could really use some accountability if I'm ever going to catch up to Geo again.
(never could catch Gaye!)

Go plady go!
Yay! You're here! It's good to have you back! I can help keep you honest, maybe that will inspire my own mojo to come on back too.

Nic- Any way you could run in air conditioning? I feel
just thinking about the kind of heat you have there!

CFG - You're right, I am nuts for expecting overnight results. But still, you know? Well, okay, I won't give it all up and drown my discouragement in a bag of candy corn but I am going to make myself a killer ice cream cake for my birthday later this week and then I'll go back to keeping it all out of the house and off-limits. Thank you for the reality check.

I ran 6.22 and it was fine. I felt like I was just chugging along, no problems, just nothing special either, but that's okay right? Sometimes a run is just a run?

Kristin,
for clothes and especially
for solo shopping. That's nice!

#16 ·
ashley, looking at your photos I want to run another marathon. Which is to say you did marvelous and it shows in your post-race smile.

Kristin, so sorry about the tires+ but maybe the auto budget can absorb the new clothing?

Wendy, just how blistered are your feet?

Balancin, I need some accountability. My commitment to myself tends to wane when there is stress or issues in my life that take longer than a day to resolve. That never happens in a marriage or with 5 children.
So what are your goals for the week/month? What stands in your way? What will make it happen for you?

#17 ·
My feet appear to be fine. A testament to shoes that fit perfectly, I guess.

The run disrupted my coffee schedule, though, which effectively wiped out the rest of my day. Off to the last swim lesson of the season.

It sounds like there's been some good running 'round these parts this weekend. Go dingos.

#18 ·
Is it June already? Am I still oxygen deprived from my race?

No time to catch up now (I *desperately* need to go shower), but I had a great race! PR'ed by over a minute! Didn't quite beat your time from last year, Lisa.
56:52, officially, not quite the 9 minute pace that was my "dream goal", but close!

Back tonight for a race report!

#19 ·
plady, can we go sugar free together? I will need this week to tweek my normal food to find the hidden sugars. Let me know, I NEED the support as I have a huge sugar headache right now. ugh. friend brought over snickers dessert, I picked out the snickers bar, but the rest of it must have had loads of sugar. ick. lus too little time to run this weekend, nor work out in any way. double ick.

#20 ·
I was looking at tomorrow on the calendar.

Oh well. We're early. Which really, is not unusual for me. I'm pathologically early to everything.

Ash, awesome race! That about sums it up, emotions wise. Yeah that hill at mile 15 SUCKS. Even with the Japanese drummers (do they still do that?). And that little downhill part at just about 20 miles when you turn onto the river path is murder on the quads. Or at least, it was on mine. That was about the time when I scared the s***t out of my then-partner (which switched several times during the race) and yelled "F$%@! YOU MISS CXXXXX" to my erstwhile elementary school sadistic bitch gym teacher.
Hey, it got me my mojo back for the last 6 miles.

Mommajb,
at the uniform thing. I find them much easier, in general. Girls' previous school the uniform was very distinct -- certain plaid skirt, and either white, green, or navy polo. At the Montessori where I teach and the kids go, they can wear any solid polo or crew neck t-shirt (normal fit, no tight) with the school emblem, and any 'modest length' bottoms. Also they have to have closed shoes (no crocs, sandals, flip flops, etc.) and socks. So they still get some flexibility (color of shirt, which bottoms) but we minimize the morning aggravation. Usually.

Geo and Gaye, way to go!
Great running!

So, my mom agreed to get me a Garmin for my birthday (she wanted to get me a purse. I said I'd rather have a Garmin. She actually said okay. This is a huge breakthrough but doesn't help her chronic depression at my fashion backwardness). Which Garmin do I want?

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Kristin, so sorry about the tires+ but maybe the auto budget can absorb the new clothing?
It can go right into the "clothing" category. I hate this thin tshirt material that is so in right now. As a result I have purchased zero shirts in the past two years and you can tell. I wear the crap out of about 5 shirts in a regular rotation.

I did 4 miles. It was hot. I was miserable. But I ran.

And by hot I only mean 73. But it feels hot when you jump in from 55, kwim?

#22 ·
I totally know what you mean, kerc. Yesterday was the first run since the heat hit that I was able to do anything sub-10 minutes. I feel like I can't breathe out there. And then I feel hot forever afterward.

ashcav, I LOVE your breakdown pic. It almost made me cry.

I sheared two sheep today and did a pretty good job. A friend has just two sheep, and they hadn't got haircuts in two years (!) and they are these hairsheep crosses, so the wool has hair mixed in and it was all matted on the ends, and they don't like people, so there were three people holding the poor sheep down while I sheared fleece. The shears is so heavy and vibrate-y, my hand is still shaking, I think. But I only put three wee nicks in them (1 nick was my very first swipe with the shears, d'oh!). Not bad for my first time on the shears.

And yes, the finger is gnarly but the evil hasn't seemed to migrate today, so I'll call for an appt in the morning. And probably not run, since the arm swinging tends to make it swell and hurt more. Stoopid finger. So getting in the way of my fast-lane lifestyle. *sigh*

#23 ·
Here's the race list for the June thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

CathToria - Aflac Irongirl Atlanta Triathlon - June 27
Realrellim - Rendezvous Run for Independence - July 3
doctorjen and ds2 - Streator Run for Glory 5K - July 3
bec - Freedom Classic 5K - July 3
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon - July 11
Penelope - Missoula Half Marathon - July 11
poppywise and crew - Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage - July 23-24
memiles - River and Rails 10K - August 7
tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 8
doctorjen and ds2 - Mr. C's Wenona 5K - August 13
tjsmama - Highlands Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - August 21
Penelope - Omaha Half Marathon - September 6
doctorjen - Chicago Half Marathon - September 12
tjsmama - Rock-N-Roll Denver Marathon - October 17
kangamitroo - Philadelphia Half Marathon - November 21

The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim - It's a girl!
Welcome baby Julia!
VeganCupcake - It's a
, welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.

#24 ·
Dingos 2010 Race Results List
Running Mamas Do Amazing Things!

mommajb - Hang Over Classic 10 miler - January 1 - 1:23
tjsmama - PF Chang's Rock-N-Roll Arizona Marathon - 4:53:54 (very first marathon!) - January 17
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon - 1:21:03 - January 23
grnmtnmama - Singlespeed USA - February 6- Women's Champion!
cornflakegirl - Surf City Half Marathon - February 7 - 1:47:07
Nemesis - Frozen Feat 5K - February 13
ashcav - Hyannis Half Marathon - February 28-1:49:02
bec - Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathon - March 7
Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 14 - 2:18:57 (PR!)
Eaglevoice - Newport Spirit 10K Run - March 21 - 1:01:38
doctorjen - Spring Valley Walleye Club 5K - March 27 - 30:33
doctorjen's ds2 - Spring Valley Walleye Club 5K - March 27-39:54
bec - Des Plaines River Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:23:ish
poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 28 - 2:49 (PR!)
zubeldia - Run for the Border Half Marathon - March 28 - 1:58
bec and bec's dh (very first!) - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 10 - bec 35:10, dh 35:04
eksmom - Komen Race for the Cure 5K - April 10 - 33:05
Plady - Whidbey Island Half Marathon - April 11
mommajb - Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 2-1:55
ashcav - Marine Corps Honor Run 5K - May 8 - 22:53 (PR!) (and ashcav's mom's first 5K - 32:30!!)
memiles - NARAL Run for Your Rights 5K - May 8 - 28:21
cornflakegirl - Palos Verdes Marathon - May 15- 3:58:40
Penelope - Papillion Half Marathon - May 16 - 2:13:26
ashcav - KeyBank Vermont City Marathon - May 30 - 4:10:47 - 1st Marathon!
tjsmama - Bolder Boulder 10K - May 31 - 56:52 (PR!)
doctorjen and ds2
- Streator YMCA Memorial Day 5K - May 31 - 31:20- 41:05
Geofizz - UACA 5 Miler - May 31 - 44:50-(PR!)
bec - Naperville Women's Triathlon - June 13 - 1:50:18 (recovering from stress fracture and required to walk the run!)
doctorjen - Steamboat Classic 15K - June 19 - 1:38:34 (automatic PR, because first time racing this distance!)
kerc - Grandma's Half Marathon - June 19
Realrellim - Habitat Hobble - June 19 - 42:13 (pushing a double jogger on a trail!)
tjsmama - 5430 Sprint Triathlon - June 20 - 1:49:46
tjsmama - Slacker Half Marathon - June 26 - 2:12:48
doctorjen - Toluca Double Diamond Dash 5K - June 26 - 29:28

#26 ·
Doh. I still ended up with the race and results lists on the 2nd page - even a day early!

I ran possibly the slowest 5K of my life today - it was nearly 90, extremely humid, and has 2 big hills. Also, after all the talk about shorter cycles, AF was 4 days late this time and I felt like the goodyear blimp. Of course, an hour or so after the race, the temp fell 15 degress and it rained. And this afternoon AF showed up

This afternoon we had a birthday party for little dd. My baby is 7! She was thrilled to death with her presents, and her big brother and gf came home from college. Ds 2 was very sad because dd got something he's really wanted, and he disappeared and was found crying eventually. His birthday is in 25 days, but he was apparently convinced he's going to be forgotten. I had forgotten how emotional pre-teen and young teen boys are - I definitely remember older ds being like this now that I think about it.

I need a long race to train for. I have a hard time keeping up the running mojo without a long term plan.

Geo and tjsmama - Excellent races! You both are so speedy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.