Does anyone need a weight loss buddy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 06-05-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do! It would be great to share this journey with some supportive people who are going through the same thing.

A few weeks ago I started doing Weight Watchers at home and started doing a Walk Away the Pounds exercise video. I lost 2 pounds the first week, then got distracted with DD's birthday party so I have gained the 2 pounds back and need to get back on track.

I have a lot of weight to lose. Right now I weigh 190 pounds and my goal weight is 115 pounds (I'm only 5 ft tall). So my long term goal is 75 pounds but my first goal is 9.5 pounds.

I have eaten so bad for so long, everyday is really a struggle. It would be great to have some people to check in with every day or so. I hope some others will join me!
#2 of 82 Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM

I will join you! I need support too. I have been running 3 miles a day for a couple of weeks now, but I have not lost any weight because I am not eating well. I have about 20 lbs to lose and would love to get to my goal by the end of the summer.

I am going to add an exercise class and a couple days of 30 day shred to my running plan, but the reality is, I need to stop craving sweets and junk.

The best way I have found to lose weight is to cut out at refined and processed foods, cut out bread and other white carbs, and eat more protein. It sounds so good in theory, but I have such a hard time doing it and sticking to it.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 82 Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

thriftyqueen - it sounds like you are doing great with exercising! Although I need to exercise more, I do better at exercising than eating. I love sweets and junk and it's really hard not to eat them. I know a few people who have lost a lot of weight cutting out the refined and processed foods but I know I could never stick to that,(and they have gained it all back as soon as they started eating those foods again). I know I have to start looking at eating as a lifestyle change - so I have to find a happy medium of eating so I don't feel deprived, but cutting back enough to lose weight.

I feel bad because my DD's are starting to pick up some of my bad eating habits and I don't want them to ever end up like me....that should be motivation enough!
#4 of 82 Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM

I hear you! My son has a terrible sweet tooth and I know it is my fault. I am such an emotionally eater. My family has always been the type to eat for every occasion and I need to break that habit. When I am bored, lonely, stressed, etc, I eat. We also tend to eat to celebrate. I would just like learn to not have to eat to celebrate.

My dad is coming to visit in a couple of weeks and he LOVES to eat out. I know that I will eat too much junk when he is here so I am going to try to sort of detox for the next two weeks. I am basically going to try to eliminate breads, sweets, etc. I think it will help me to break some of my cravings before he comes. I am going to continue to exercise while he is here so that at least hopefully I won't gain any weight!

#5 of 82 Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
#6 of 82 Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Hi RollerCoasterMama!

That is so cool that you are going to be a surrogate and that you are taking steps to be as healthy as possible to do so. The family is very lucky to have you in their lives!!

Sounds like you are doing great in the eating department (wish I could say the same for myself). I again have been awful today. Breakfast I did fine, lunch not bad, then I felt the need to have chocolate midafternoon during my "crash time". Supper I ate white bread (sandwich) and fries. Now I feel AWFUL! My stomach is feeling really icky.

I did run 3.5 miles this morning and am going to my muscle pump class in the morning.

#7 of 82 Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 PM

#8 of 82 Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM

#9 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

thrifty queen - I'm an emotional eater too. I really eat bad when I'm stressed (which seems like all of the time). DH is currently deployed (he's a civilian that works for the government) so life is stressful right now.

RollerCoasterMama - I'm glad you're joining us! That's great that you are going to be a surrogate! My DD's are IVF babies and one of my good friends that I met through a support group at my RE's office was blessed to have her sister be her surrogate so I can relate to what you and Future-mama are going through. It sounds like you are doing great with your eating! Can you tell me more about the coconut oil for weight loss?

I haven't been eating well or exercising this week. Some weeks I just don't seem to have the energy to focus on it and this seems to be one of those weeks. I'm going to keep trying to turn this week around though.
#10 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 AM

May I join in?

I'm working toward losing 75-90 lbs ove the next two years. Shorter term goals include a 5K by the end of the summer, being able to swim a 500 in less than 20 minutes.

I really need to work on the food side of things. I've been going to the Y for the last 4 weeks, at least 3x/week. Food... not doing so well. I eat when I'm hungry, bored, depressed, tired, near food...

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#11 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 01:17 AM

#12 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Can I join too? I found that the person I was supposed to working out with here in person just isn't that reliable so I could really use some support.

I had my LO in November 2009 and was diagnosed with PTSD afterwards. I am an emotional eater as well and eat when depressed, stressed, bored, scared...basically when I am not busy doing something else (although I am eating and typing at the same time!) I have recently been feeling a lot better so I am ready to get going with gusto. I have lost almost 6 lbs since the end of April and this week I finally made it out of the 200's. I'll see how I do next week when I weigh in. I have a tendency to lose a few, gain a few, lose a few (2 steps forward, 1 step back).

I am hoping to develop better eating habits - I went out yesterday and stocked my fridge with lots of veges. I found it hypocritical that I was feeding my LO squah, green beans, peas, carrotts etc and I was eating chocolate. From now on I am going to try and have us eat the same things (except for squash - I hate it, he loves it!)

I used to be a runner before I got pregnant, so I would really like to get back to doing that. I picked up a nice jogging stroller that also converts to a bike trailer. I have to try and read through the directions this week so I can figure out how to put the tires on. My goal is to take it out for a spin this week.

My long term goal is 135 lb, which I hope to achieve by my birthday next year (June). Right now I am 198.8 lb, I would like to be 195 lb for this year's birthday. I am hoping to lose about 5 lbs a month. Nice steady progress and not too crazy. I am also hoping to do a try-a-tri in August. I did it a couple of years ago and finished it in 1:12:48. This year I'd like to go for less than 1:10. I'm still not entirely sure that I am going to do it though, I'm still looking for a babysitter for the day.

FallingLeaves - sorry to hear that you DH is away. I have a friend who just returned from 9 months in Afganistan and that was stressful. I can't imagine how it must be for you. Thanks so much for starting this thread.

RollerCoasterMama - the coconut oil sounds so interesting. I think I am going to google and read some more. Cool on being a surrogate. I thought about doing it for a friend of mine years ago, but then she actually ended up pregnant! I think that it is an awesome thing you are doing.

Dmitrizmom - are you already a runner? I think 5K by the end of the summer is awesome. I'd like to get back to that too.

thriftyqueen - good for you for getting out and exercising. The eating good will come too. Sometimes it's hard to change too many things at once

I think that's it for me. I am hoping to make it to the Y today to go for a workout. If I don't go soon, I think I am going to have to cancel my membership. I keep hoping the money will motivate me to go. Truth is I am a scaredy cat about leaving my LO. I'm sure he will be fine, I just don't think I will be

Hope everyone is having a good day.

LM
#13 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM

#14 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneMarie View Post
Dmitrizmom - are you already a runner? I think 5K by the end of the summer is awesome. I'd like to get back to that too.
nope. not a runner. never have been. don't really like to run, but know that once I get started that I will probably really enjoy it. I've been having dreams about running lately and think that my body is telling me that it is time to get the lead out.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#15 of 82 Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM

I started a muscle pump class yesterday (will be 2 days per week) and I am sore today. I didn't think I was sore, but then after I ran this morning, I could really feel it. Ouch!

I still am not eating the greatest. I think I am going to try the coconut oil. I have some already. Hopefully it will help with the cravings!

LynneMarie--I hear you on the 2 steps forward, 2 steps back. I have done that so many times. I lose a few pounds and then get lazy and gain it back. I have gained and lost 10-15 so many times. I wish I could just lose it and be dedicated to keeping it off.

I glad so many are joining us in this. Hopefully we can all get to our goals and feel good about ourselves!!

#16 of 82 Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM

#17 of 82 Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Dmitrizmom and LynneMarie - so glad you are joining us.

I've haven't done well at all this week. I am hoping next week will be better -we eat way too much fast food so I am planning to cut way back on that. Next week is DD's last week of school, she goes to school 40 miles from home so 4 days a week we spend a lot of time driving, and because I seem to be always running late, it's easier to grab food while we are out.

I also have hypothyroidism and sometimes forget to take my medicine for that so next week my goals will be to take that medicine every day, take my vitamin everyday, and cut down on fast food. Maybe I'll do better starting with small goals.
#18 of 82 Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 PM

this week's activity: Monday - 33 minutes eliptical, 30 minutes pool; Tuesday - 35 minutes weights, 20 minutes pool; Wednesday - 33 minutes eliptical, 30 minutes pool; Thursday - 10 minutes treadmill, 45 minute kettlebell class, 20 minutes pool; Friday - 2x 1 hour pool (once with my mom and once with dh and the kids). Tomorrow I'm going to try for 40 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights (increasing the weight on my rotation), and swimming with the kids in the afternoon.

Today was an ok day for eating... helped that I was out of the house for 1/2 the day.

#19 of 82 Old 06-12-2010, 08:39 AM

#20 of 82 Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I weighed myself this morning and there was no change (I didn't expect to lose anything) and was very glad that I didn't gain considering my week.
#21 of 82 Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Found this today and thought it was cool: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
You can map your walking/jogging/running route and get distance.

#22 of 82 Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM

#23 of 82 Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM

I will catch up on the posts but for now, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 31, just had my 7th child, 8 weeks ago, and I weigh 256 lbs. My goal is to get down to 165 lbs. I am gluten intolerant. All my kids and I are on a gluten free diet. I homeschool and am a Pampered Chef consultant and in college.

I just went to Snap Fitness and I started my free 1 week trial. I LOVED it. It is 10 miles away=10 mins away. I went in walked on the treadmill, did crunches on the ball, did arms, and then took a shower. It was great to be all by myself for a little while!! It is $40/mo to join so I am not sure if I am going to join but I would LOVE to.

So wanted to be here for support and to give support. I won't be able to post alot because of how busy I am but I will be around!!

Wife to Steve: Mom to 5 girls and 2 boys. We are CTA until ? DH and I are both in college It may be a crazy life but its our life!
#24 of 82 Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

RollerCoasterMama - Congratulations! 2 pounds is great!

sunniecooks - I'm glad you're joinging us!
#25 of 82 Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 AM

I'm a little late to this thread but can I still join? I really need support to try to lose this weight. I'd like to lose 100 lbs in 5 yrs so 20 lbs per year and short-term, around 2 lbs per month. I feel like that's even overwhelming right now. FYI: my life has been major stressful for 2 1/2 yrs straight (even told that by the psych., fam dr & ob) which I know is awful for my emotional eating and just the hormones. I know that exercise would help but I struggle to get motivated, just feel tired instead. So, do you mind 1 more person?

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#26 of 82 Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM

#27 of 82 Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Yesterday I joined the local Snap Fitness. I worked out yesterday too. OMG, it felt so great to workout without any kids there. I LOVE my kids but it was nice that the 1 hr was just about me!! I think it is good to teach my children that they also need to take care of themselves not just their kids!

I can really tell I have already lost some inches but have gained 1 lb. I am still drinking soda; one habit change at a time. I walked for 20 mins and the did crunches on the ball, and arms workout. I even took a shower at the gym so I came home ready to do stuff with the kids and get my paper written for my English class. I told DH about it and it is only an extra $10/mo for the two of us so he wanted to join together. I know he won't be going because he works so much and then comes home to do school work but if it makes him feel better, I will sign us both up.

It is open 24/7 with video cameras on all the time, so I will be going at 6:30am to workout. Then I can be back by 8am and start my day with my kids. Homeschooling, house cleaning, Pampered Chef work, and my college work. Busy days!

Wife to Steve: Mom to 5 girls and 2 boys. We are CTA until ? DH and I are both in college It may be a crazy life but its our life!
#28 of 82 Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM

It's been a couple of crappy weeks. I'm up 2 lbs and not going to make my goal of 195 lb for my birthday. I supposed eating the cookie dough wasn't very helpful. I really need to get back to exercising. I used to be so much better than this. I haven't actually exercised in about a month now...and I wonder why the pounds aren't coming off like I would like? Today I finally got around to buying a wrench so I could finish putting together the jogging stroller. I'd like to say that I am going to go put it together now, but I am way too tired and just want to go to bed. Of course before I do that I'd like to go eat the bag of M&M's sitting on the counter. I know that my mood is hormonal, I know that I am begin emotional and that is why I want to eat. I am NOT hungry. I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Welcome to all the new people who have joined.

LM
#29 of 82 Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM

I really want to join also. I started at an all time high weight of 250lbs. I've been limiting sweets and processed carbs (bread, pasta) and focusing on lots of fruits and veggies. I have been also trying to ride my bike more and do sit up. This week I have done the 30 day shred three times. (Ouch). So, I am down 12 pounds in the last two months, although the first 10 came off easily and now I have been in the 238-239 range for several weeks. I'd like to see my weight going down again!
#30 of 82 Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 AM

I'm SO not getting motivated and I don't want to get back into that cycle of emotionally hounding myself when I fail. I'm struggling with just being so darn tired. Babe is almost 11 weeks but still cries A LOT; a couple nights this week I only got 2-5 hrs of sleep and I just drag. I'm attempting to restrict my diet for him (dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, gassy foods like broccoli & beans) but was finding that I was lacking protein and then today was SUPER stressful and I bought a bag of vanilla oreos and ate like 12 of them. UGHH!

Exercise is key but with the screaming baby I feel like if I can get him to sleep at all then I want to either rest of do chores and when he's not screaming and is awake I just want to enjoy him thus I'm not pushing myself at all.

Okay-goal for this coming week-walk around the block at least once. Seems reasonable, right???

Claybear-right there with you. I'm at around 251 right now. I'm super bummed. I'm a carb addict and do so well then fall off the wagon. I've only gained weight when pregnant the last 10 years and since we're not planning any more I'm hoping once I lose it I'll be able to keep it off, it's a matter of actually losing the weight. It helps to know someone else is at this weight cause you totally understand how it feels.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page