Witchy Weight Loss & Support - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 614 Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Well, had a pita bread with tomatoes and feta for lunch and an hour later - cramping, gas, loose stools. I realize that 2 days off gluten and one try back on gluten does not an elimination trial make, but I'm going to go back off and see what happens.

I suspect weight loss will be much easier if I go gluten free, anyway!

Off to google....
It took me 3 months to figure out - gluten was not my friend and hurts every time I eat bread, or flour goodies.

I'm not as sensitive yet to other small amounts of gluten, like in soups yet, but I do get a tummy ache sometimes as my body I think is trying to figure out what to do? It has coped with it for so long... meh.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#602 of 614 Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I think I ate meatloaf with it in a restaurant the other day, but it was pretty small, but yeah, I was longing for a piece of freshly baked white bread yesterday. Sigh. Must not cave!

Elana's Pantry is a good blog: http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Come ponder with me about food!
#603 of 614 Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM

i've been too sick to swim, alas, so i've been doing yoga. i hadnt realized how much i'd missed it (we didnt have room inside to do it at our last place, and it's too hot here to do it outside til later in the year. i hope i'll go back to doing it outside in our new place, too, because i lurve yoga in the garden, but it's been so so so nice to do it inside, to the big tv! i feel so.... luxe. ).

i feel for those with gluten issues... though i think the whole low stomach acid thing is more my issue. i used to think it was gluten. now i'm just not so sure. i do know my mood is oodles better when i DO have it.... who knows.

i started taking self-heal, hoping that will help me with my myriad of trials and tribulations, lol....

hope you're all doing well and having fun!
#604 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM

i had this whole beautiful deep post about addiction typed up and MDc or my internet compnay ate it. i am so frustrated right now.

last night i am all ready to go to body flow class. every body in the van etc, about a mile down the road, when DD2 pukes all over herself, her car seat, and my baby carrier (on the seat next to her). i turn around and go home. no class for me. clean her up, the car seat up, take her temp etc. she is warm and whiny the rest of the night until 11pm when she pukes all over me and the kitchen floor. i clean her up, take a shower, clean the floor. and finally get to sleep. nobody wakes me up this morning. i dont wake up until 9 am. to the sounds of running water. the kids had gotten up and gotten off to school by themselves. so all that leaves is DD1. who was very quietly (so as to not wake mama) making breakfast drinks. out of my entire canister of sugar, 2 shot glasses, and the running faucet. her shirt was soaked and sugar was everywhere. she even poured it in the toaster. i have swept the floor twice and am still getting sugar stuck to my feet. and then i pour my heart out about being addicted to carbs/gluten/sugar and how it is alot like being addicted to cigs and meth. how i quit smoking 4 yrs ago and meth 10 yrs ago. and how i hate being controlled by an addiction so i hate sugar but feel powerless etc. and mdc ate it. or my internet company. they suck lately. i just want to go back to bed and hit reset. lol. but instead i think i will watch (and maybe even do) those 2 pilates dvds i borrowed from the library. i think that will make me feel better and maybe even entertain the kids. if that doesnt work then i mighht drink a glass of wine.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#605 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Afternoon all

I can't tell you all how discouraged I am. I have been trying so hard to lose weight, be healthier and nothing seems to be going my way. I have cut so much out of my diet and not lost one pound. I almost feel like giving up. I think I have gained weight, but I am nervous to get on the scale knowing I will just give up. I just don't know what to do. I feel like a failure right now. I have no motivation. I don't want to bring anyone down I just need to get this out.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#606 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM

(((group hug)))

I feel we need it!

Valérie   
#607 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

LionessMom - I second your idea that carbs/sugar are as addictive as smoking/drugs. That sounded like a rough day/night all around and a glass a of wine might just be the thing and ooh the new episode of Castle ((Nathan Fillion))

Redveg s Its hard to find your path of better eating! Be gentle with yourself. Do you feel better (physically or emotionally?) at all, like more energy or waking up refreshed, or emotionally being able to say no to eating something vs. letting the feeling happen? (I'm an emotional eater all the way!)
s

Witchy - love that blog! Blog's make food look so pretty! I love their suggestion for the yom kippur break fast meal. I see a lot of soups in my future for the winter.

Just think in a couple of days - we get to start anew with a new thread, new goals and figure how to make it until Samhain! Let the wheel turn, hopefully we won't get caught underneath

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#608 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
176.2 today again, I'll take it, feel like I ate way too many salty oven fried potatoes last night.

food plan - cheesy eggs, broccoli, bananas, lunch :little bit of chicken, assorted veggies in green curry sauce over brown rice, dinner- hmmmn - not sure, another potato and asst veg? Bean burrito without the tortilla? Definitely a grapefruit blended with ice. I feel so non-local and decadent with this grapefruit addiction I'm on. My parents and grandparents only got citrus once a year, and it was a huge splurge even then.

Ah, aweyn, luxe yoga indeed....we have to move furniture to do yoga near our tv, but it can be done.

What is low stomach acid like? I'm not familiar with it? You've had some tummy issues off and on for a while, haven't you? How are you feeling now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
gluten free makes me feel better too. it is so hard for me. lol. i figured i would cut out dairy first while cutting down on grains. i am so used to just making a sandwich or drinking a large glass of chocolate milk. it takes getting used to.
Why are you needing to cut out dairy? I know it is better for many -- I have a lovely source of raw milk and I think it would break my heart to have to cut it out. It must be hard cutting down everything at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
I've been gluten free for about 3 weeks now, and while I am on my moon right now, my digestive track is not so happy, but the rest of time I've been feeling pretty darn good! Gluten is pretty tough on ANYONE really, but I definitely think it's especially rough for me, so I'm making progress. Good luck!
Why did you cut out gluten,if you don't mind my asking? It sounds like for you, ktg, you noticed it was causing symptoms and cut it out?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
I'm not as sensitive yet to other small amounts of gluten, like in soups yet, but I do get a tummy ache sometimes as my body I think is trying to figure out what to do? It has coped with it for so long... meh.
This is something I'm curious about - whether it is a progressive sensitivity, that eliminating the big sources is not enough and eventually trace sources will start to bother? I'm not much for processed foods anyway and haven't even been interested in baking for the past couple of years. I bought a grain mill and had planned to order bulk organic wheat kernels and make my own flour and bread starting this fall, but have been putting that off (thank goodness). Now I'll be looking at alternative flours. Oats seem ok to me so far -- I'd be sad if I couldn't have oatmeal, granola, or apple crisp! I can probably grind oats into flour and make my pancakes. Maybe I'll be more careful about soaking the grains I do use, TF style, to help me digest them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
i had this whole beautiful deep post about addiction typed up and MDc or my internet compnay ate it. i am so frustrated right now.
Sounds like a rough day. Sugar is SO hard to clean up, oh man! Poor mama! How symbolic, too, considering your frustration about sugar addiction!!!! How old is the dd who was ill? Your baby? That's rough. How is everyone now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
I have no motivation. I don't want to bring anyone down I just need to get this out.
I was sure I'd have gained weight a few weeks back, but turned out to be down a bit. You never know!

Have you tried tracking your food and exercise very precisely? I have been doing so to keep dh company lately, scale and everything, though I don't write all the quantities down here anymore.

What would your most powerful motivation be?

The best weight- loss motivation I have had in my life has been my dh's type 2 diabetes dx a few weeks back. I'm not losing fast, but I am losing the weight steadily and absolutely NOTHING is going to derail me from my goal. My kids need me to be healthy for them, to set an example of healthy eating and living for them so they can *avoid* diabetes, and my dh needs me as a weight-loss partner to help him find the diet/exercise path that will keep *him* as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

There is also a big family event - a family member is receiving a very rare and very public honor and there will be a banquet and ceremony in another city that we are traveling to in 3 weeks. I'd love to have lost enough weight /size by then to fit into some particular dressy clothes I haven't been able to wear for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Just think in a couple of days - we get to start anew with a new thread, new goals and figure how to make it until Samhain! Let the wheel turn, hopefully we won't get caught underneath
Looking forward to that! Can we do a recap of the opening introductions, too?
#609 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Why did you cut out gluten,if you don't mind my asking? It sounds like for you, ktg, you noticed it was causing symptoms and cut it out?.
Hopefully ths won't be TMI, but I'll tell you, since you asked. For years I've had digestion issues, meaning that I would constantly have loose (and foul-smelling) stools. And these same years, I just chalked it up to my chronic stress issues because if I was more stressed out, the worse my problem would be. And I tried cutting out dairy before...I had to when my DD was just a mere babe for her sake, but it did nothing for me. That aspect remained the same.

So while I have the same stress issues, and my problem isn't completely resolved, it is TONS better than it was before. Also, i was diagnosed last year with pretty severe case of hypothyroidism (normal TSH levels should be no higher than 5....my TSH was 171, begging my thyroid to just DO something). Apparently 40% of those with hypothyroidism also have gluten intolerance because both are essentially autoimmune problems. Fun, right? And if I hapen to lose weight also, so much the better.

#610 of 614 Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

aubergine, real quick reply-- i had/have a ton of changing symptoms, etc with the move and such, but basically, i was having just a hard time with digestion in general. thought for a while it was dairy, then thought gluten... tried avoiding each, helped for a while, then stopped helping... "heard" about low stomach acid in this thread awhile back, it seemed to "click" (because of the link to salt-- which we'd talked about with migraines, too), so i tried the "test"-- which is basically if you have cramping and pain after eating, to drink some acv, and if that fixes it (did for me, almost instantly), then low stomach acid is your problem-- basically, your tum doesnt make enough acid on its own to digest. i've upped my salt in take, and that seems to have "fixed" it, almost totally. any of the so called "problem" foods i'd been avoiding, i've not had problems with at all.... so, it's doing *something*.... it's been the most helpful thing i've tried in years, knock on wood that it keeps helping!
#611 of 614 Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
I can't tell you all how discouraged I am. I have been trying so hard to lose weight, be healthier and nothing seems to be going my way. I have cut so much out of my diet and not lost one pound.
Yep, that would be me. For years.
Why don't you research the hcg diet protocol? I got the idea from M3M and I'm going to start tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Aubergine, this is so weird, I got as far as "cheesy eggs" in your post and had to stop reading Right.That.Second. and go make some! I didn't even finish your post, first!
But this is the weird part: I haven't cared about melted cheese, or cheese with eggs, in literally many, many years. I just made 2 eggs with melted extra-sharp cheddar and snarfed them down before I hit "reply".
Hmm.
And they were awesome, I might add. I hope I don't start wanting that on a regular basis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
which is basically if you have cramping and pain after eating, to drink some acv, and if that fixes it (did for me, almost instantly), then low stomach acid is your problem-- basically, your tum doesnt make enough acid on its own to digest. i've upped my salt in take, and that seems to have "fixed" it, almost totally. any of the so called "problem" foods i'd been avoiding, i've not had problems with at all.... so, it's doing *something*.... it's been the most helpful thing i've tried in years, knock on wood that it keeps helping!
Yay!!! I'm so happy for you. That was a plaguing issue for you for a long time!

Tomorrow I start the hcg protocol. Wish me luck, mamas!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#612 of 614 Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM

so, we get our new thread today, right? who's gonna do it?
#613 of 614 Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM

i had a great dinner last night. i made hamburgers. i sauteed onions and mushrooms. then added them to the burger with a couple of eggs. made patties and fried them up. then i put them on a large lettuce leaf, topped with a giant slice of tomatoe and a dollop of mayo. then rolled the lettuce up. no bun for me. it was divine. i ate the leftover patty today the same way. trying to stick to potatoes as my carbs and let everything else go.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#614 of 614 Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

New thread for Fall! Hooray for new Beginnings!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post15873837

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page