Cellulite! Am I stuck with it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone successfully gotten rid of cellulite? To the point that your legs are smooth and you don't have to worry about wearing shorts?
I am not overweight, but my last pregnancy seriously inreased the cellulite on my thighs.
Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

I think *everyone* has "cellulite", I think cellulite is fat cells, and when you carry a higher percentage of body fat, they get full and you get that dimpled, cottage cheese-y effect. You have to reduce your body fat percentage to shrink the cells to lessen the appearance (or have liposuction, LOL).

I've lost all my baby weight now, but I do find that I carry it much differently that I did before. I'm much more "bottom heavy" (pear shaped?) than I was before (hourglass).

I do know that no amount of creams and cellulite products will make it go away, though.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
2xy

I'm not sure I agree. I know people who are way larger than me who don't seem to have cellulite. On the other hand, I have cellulite on my thighs even when I'm really slim. I think it's genetically predisposed.

Cellulite is fat that's closer to the skin. There is deeper fat that doesn't appear as cellulite. No, there's nothing really to be done about it, sorry to say.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've always had some amount of cellulite, but since baby #2, it seems to go halfway down my thighs on the back! I thought maybe if I increased muscle tone in that area, it might appear to go away.....guess not.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As soon as I got pg, my body has turned to cellulite, I swear. I hear body brushing helps. I'm pretty thin even pg, so I just don't get it!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
As soon as I got pg, my body has turned to cellulite, I swear. I hear body brushing helps. I'm pretty thin even pg, so I just don't get it!
I've never heard of body brushing...I'd probably do it if I were going on a trip or something similar where I wanted to look good for a couple of days. I assume it's temporary?
I don't get the whole cellulite thing either. I mean, I techincally understand it, I just don't get why I have so much of it when I work out and am at a healthy weight. I'm just so self concious about it
Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 PM

Cellulite is caused by trans fats and refined polyunsaturated fats that clog up the lymph system. Body brushing helps because it moves lymph fluid--I don't think its a quick fix though. You will have to do it on a regular basis to keep your lymph system moving and get everything flushed out. Exercising also moves lymph-- bouncing on a trampoline is supposed to be great. So is walking and running. Avoiding trans/hydrogenated fats and refined vegetable oils (like canola, corn, soy, safflower, etc) will help keep you from forming more cellulite.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
2xy

So, are you saying that prior to the 20th century, nobody had cellulite?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM

I eat almost none of those fats. Especially compared to a lot of people I see at the pool who eat a diet largely composed of trans fats and oils like you stated. So why do I see so many people with no cellulite eating a McDonald's meal every day plus junk food constantly and I eat healthy and exercise far more and still have cellulite? I know people had cellulite before these fats were more common, too. Look at old erotica.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

I think, and have always heard, that cellulite is genetic. I was just hoping I could combat genetics somehow. I'm sure, though, that the above mentioned fats don't help people that are pre determined to have cellulite anyway.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM

No women in my family have it other than me, and mine is very recent other than a tiny normal amount when I gain some weight. But then again I was the only one to get stretch marks...I think I got the genetic short end of the stick.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have it no matter how thin I am. I think it's genetic, too.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 PM

I had it when I was 16 years old, 5'9" and 125lbs. I was thin and hot, but had a little celli on the back/outer side of my thighs. Hmmrph....oh well.. I have more now then I did when I was 16 but dh still thinks I'm hot I think it's in your DNA. No amount of weight loss will completely get rid of cellulite for some of us. I know a lady who is a size 4 and has more cellulite than I do It's not that big of a deal, IMO....

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm wondering if there is a certain exercise that could reduce it? Like, the thighmaster? LOL I mean, a little on the tops of thighs doesn't bother me, everyone has it. But it's bad now, to the point of being embarrassed at the pool. A friend of mine showed me a machine at the gym to use, the abducter/somthing or other. I just started using it last week. I do squats, lunges, I walk (with shape-ups on), pilates. I'm back to my prepregnancy weight, all my clothes fit, but some shorts I don't feel comfortable wearing that I had no problem wearing before dd, because of the length. Or lack thereof

ETA: I had it still at my thinnest, when I was a size 2. I wasn't working out at all then, so I thought maybe I had a chance now.....
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 PM

I suppose you could lower your body fat really low by working out like crazy and eating well, but at least for me, it would take serious effort on my part and 1. I don't think it's healthy ( I would have to lower my body fat to the point that I would most likely lose my menstrual cycle), and 2. I don't think it's a big deal. There are tons of good looking women out there who have cellulite. So what!
But to answer you directly, no there is no exercise that will reduce cellulite. Only losing body fat overall will.

By detoxing your body you can help flush out toxins in the fat and that may have an effect on the fat, making it look a little smoother. I don't wear short shorts either, btw.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 07-01-2010, 12:55 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I eat almost none of those fats. Especially compared to a lot of people I see at the pool who eat a diet largely composed of trans fats and oils like you stated. So why do I see so many people with no cellulite eating a McDonald's meal every day plus junk food constantly and I eat healthy and exercise far more and still have cellulite? I know people had cellulite before these fats were more common, too.
Same here.

My diet has gotten sort of crappy lately, but there have been long periods when I've consumed almost no trans-fats, and my cellulite certainly didn't disappear. My overall body-fat was reduced, but I was still lumpy in the same places.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post
I think, and have always heard, that cellulite is genetic. I was just hoping I could combat genetics somehow. I'm sure, though, that the above mentioned fats don't help people that are pre determined to have cellulite anyway.
I'm pretty small and have cellulite. Specifically, I have ripples on the backs of my thighs. I hate it! It gets especially worse in the winter (January) when I run less and eat more (duh ).....

I swear though - I do notice they get less visible when I kick up the workouts in February. I also do lots of squats and lunges. And...the older I get (turned 40 about three months ago), the easier they come back.

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola79 View Post
I guess I'm wondering if there is a certain exercise that could reduce it? Like, the thighmaster? LOL I mean, a little on the tops of thighs doesn't bother me, everyone has it. But it's bad now, to the point of being embarrassed at the pool. A friend of mine showed me a machine at the gym to use, the abducter/somthing or other. I just started using it last week. I do squats, lunges, I walk (with shape-ups on), pilates. I'm back to my prepregnancy weight, all my clothes fit, but some shorts I don't feel comfortable wearing that I had no problem wearing before dd, because of the length. Or lack thereof

ETA: I had it still at my thinnest, when I was a size 2. I wasn't working out at all then, so I thought maybe I had a chance now.....
I wanted to add also that I lift weights. The more muscle mass you have - the higher your metabolism is - which equals burning fat.

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

@lab- that's what I have, the ripples! I also lift weights. Well, I take a weightlifting class at the gym, so I count that as lifting weights.

@marimara- I'm not willing to diet and exercise enough to lose my menstrual cycle either. Way too much effort and unhealthy, I agree.

Oh, well, suppose I'll just get over it. I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it than it is anyway.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 AM

There are treatments for cellulite. I found about velasmooth while watching kim kardashian getting it done on her show. One day im going to get this, i am not going to let myself look like my mother.

http://www.velasmooth.com/

DS 5-11-06
Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
There are treatments for cellulite. I found about velasmooth while watching kim kardashian getting it done on her show. One day im going to get this, i am not going to let myself look like my mother.

http://www.velasmooth.com/
Cool website. Looks expensive, though. I may actually look into it. I entered my zipcode and had about 5 sites within 20 miles of where I live.

User Tag List