Dingos keeping cool...the monthly thread for July! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay kerc! Did Erin enjoy her tri?

Have a good ride today, bec! I'm so impressed that you're putting in that kind of mileage, and not even on a road bike .

Gaye ~ enjoy your vacation . And if it makes you feel better, DD2 (who is almost exactly the same age as your DS) pulls the same "you do it" or "I need you WITH me" crap all the time. The patience.... it wears thin .

Well, the party went great. I think there were close to 40 people here, including a bunch of kids. DH had videotaped a bunch of their soccer games over the last few weeks, so most everyone was inside watching video of themselves playing indoor soccer . So two of the other Moms and I hung out on the porch, with the younger children.... and the sangria ! And yes, DH did do all the dishes and cleanup at midnight.

Today, we're taking DH shopping for work clothes. Imagine never wearing anything other than a uniform to work for 22 years. He needs a couple pairs of khakis and a few collared shirts at least.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#482 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 AM

JayGee, the work clothing makes me smile. About twice a year I get dh a pair of pants and 2-3 shirts, pull out the worst from the closet and he never seems to notice. It is just a new uniform for your family.

No FM here today thought I hope the yard looks considerably better by the end of the day. This is World Breastfeeding Week; we are doing a breastfeeding cafe a day in various locations. Tomorrow the hospital and I need to get some cookies together to lure the ob nurses in. I am thinking oatmeal (galactagogue) or pb with chocolate kisses (looks a bit like a breast). I suppose it depends on how much time I have this evening or what the bakery has in stock tomorrow morning.

I hear ds1 with the mower so I am going to go supervise/locate ds2.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#483 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Yea Kerc That wagon is moving fast if its already in MN!

Gaye - that movie night sounds so great. Good for you, 2 whole days in a row

Jaygee - aww, what a nice mommy/wife to make that happen for everyone. about the uniform - we joke that Dh's job is really the only one he could have b/c he can essentially wear pajamas and slippers to work (scrubs and slip on birkenstocks)

Bec - Go Fight Win! ( this is what Dh and I say to each other when he leaves for work every day)

We bought more gear yesterday Real backpacking packs for the 5 and 7 year old. We are doing a short b-packing trip in Yosemite on our road trip and realized there is NO way the two of us could carry all the supplies for 5 people. We were going to have them use their day packs but it was awkward, so ... We are hiking to ds's "special place", which is where we buried his placenta (the girls' are in two other states). The last time we visited was for the burial and I was 5 mos. preg. w/ dd2. The other two were almost 5 and almost 3. It was HARD. The 5 year old (dd1) did fine, but ds whined after like 20 minutes and Dh ended up carrying him on top of his loaded pack/shoulders like a pack mule. And then dd1 wanted to be carried, so I put her in my pack/shoulders. It was crazy. Hoping for more stamina from the older two this time, but dd2 will likely be on our shoulders most of the time

Did I mention that Im hoping to hook-up with Poppy on this trip?!

FM: Fast walk 4 miles with neighbor/friend yesterday. My knee actually grumbled enough by the end that I had to adjust my gait

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#484 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM
bec

Well, 21 miles down. My training partner had a flat tire before we began, so she bailed on it, I did 21 miles without her (supposedly with the group, but they were all on road bikes, sooooo ), and we'll go out for more later after her husband wakes up and fixes her tire.

ST - That quote is from The Incredibles! Love it!

Kerc - Welcome back to the exercise wagon!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#485 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
ST - That quote is from The Incredibles! Love it!
Aw, shucks. I thought it was our own cute thing (never seen the Incredibles)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#486 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
bec

Great movie. Great quote.

I'm getting camping stuff ready!!!!

#487 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Incredibles: I watched it when I had a nursing toddler. Ahh, to be ElastiGirl with ElastiBoobs.

We saw Ramona and Beezus yesterday. All the Ramona books crammed into 1 hr 45 min. Well done, though. {K was relieved they left out the dad smoking part. That's the scariest part of all the books in her opinion.}

22 on the bike this morning along the river. Glorious weather and *everyone* thought so. A few times we kept looking at all the runner to see if people had numbers. There were so many runners out there must have been a race. But no, just a perfect morning.

This afternoon: Wicked.
#488 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Nanny candidate cancelled.

At least she DOES want to reschedule, but it's not overly confidence inspiring, ya know? Especially when she says that she thought she could rearrange her schedule, but couldn't. Um, maybe you should have said that when I originally suggested the time rather than waiting until a few hours before you're supposed to come. Gah.

More time to do stuff this afternoon, I guess. Maybe I'll get motivated to clean the rest of the house...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#489 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 03:25 PM

RR: a kinda slow 6m this morning in the humid, sunny weather, without water... won't do that again! But a good run, I guess.

Am returned from my conference to find that the house looks like a pack of wild animals lives here... sigh. It was perfectly clean before we went on vacation, and dh, as far as I can tell, has done zero housework since then. He did install a dishwasher yesterday, but neglected to water the outdoor plants which were dry and sad when I got home.

Off to clean... and grocery shop... and water...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#490 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 PM
bec

So, bike ride part two! I did the 21 miles this morning, and was intending to do another 20 with my friend this afternoon. Well, she got a boost of energy, and got her bike back into shape, and decided she wanted to do 40. I didn't want to miss out on part of the ride, and didn't want to leave her alone for that long a ride, and I'm something of an addict, and susceptible to peer pressure, so went along for the entire thing! Grand total miles today are 62!!! I'm feeling pretty good, all things considered. My butt is tired and a bit sore, but, other than that, feeling good!

#491 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Oh my gosh you guys, I am wiped. Pick me up off the floor, wring me out, and stick me in bed. I just got back from a really hot, humid, and nasty 7 miler. The best I can say is it's done, but s l o w and many walk breaks.

I was so hot I came into the house, scarfed down a drink of water, went out the back door and jumped into my pool...with my clothes on. They couldn't have gotten any wetter anyway, and man, did it feel good (even though the water temp is at best tepid because it's so hot out).

Dh and I sat down today and plotted out our mutual race schedules, training schedules, and his work call schedules. He's got 3 triathlons coming up and finally signed up with the local triathlon training group. He was one tired puppy when he got back from their Sunday bike-swim. Said something like, 'now I know why I get my ass kicked in all these tris -- these guys train HARD.' But with a lookof exhausted glee on his face. It's right up his alley.

But since I have three big races in the next six months (Women' Half Marathon in St. Pete on November 21, Disney Marathon on January 9, and Sarasota Half Marathon in March) we have to really coordinate. I do love how he's taking me and my training as seriously as his though, it's a huge step for him. And we actually had a good conversation about which full marathon I should do and why (Disney or one of the other winter florida marathons).

We sign the kids up for swim lessons tomorrow, and dd1 is going to try out for the 'novice swim team' I think. I think it's a great thing for her to do even if I am signing my life away in terms of shuttling around after school/work every day. BTW, anyone with bigger girls have any size 12 speedos they want to pass along? Dd has no swim-team appropriate suits and she is between sizes at Target. You'd think it'd be easy to find a bathing suit in summer in Florida, right?! But all the stores have fall clothes! And it doesn't even get cold enough to wear those clothes ... at all! (or, not more than a week or so a year).Gah.

I had something else to ask but I forgot now what it was.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#492 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Nic, have you looked at Sierra Trading Post? My dd is only 9.5, or I'd dig around in her dresser for one for ya!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#493 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM

nic: try a sporting goods store or TjMaxx/marshalls.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#494 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Seven miles in today, pushing J in the jogger. It started out at 90 degrees but an approaching storm dropped the temps to high 70s by the end. The run included six hills. I did not like those hills.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#495 of 499 Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM

nic~Also, try swimoutlet.com for cheap suits.

kerc~Yay for Erin and a kids tri! How did it go!

real~ Awesome run, mama! You're getting right back into the swing of things! You could totally sign up for the Denver half, ya know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Have a good ride today, bec! I'm so impressed that you're putting in that kind of mileage, and not even on a road bike .
Seriously. That is impressive. That's more miles than I've ridden in one day this season, and I have a road bike!

Dude...where did the day go? I feel like I got nothing accomplished. Ok, well, a long run and a trip to the grocery store, but that's it. Nothing else! We got started on the run a bit late, and then putzed around when we got back because DS wanted to Skype people but my computer kept imploding. Oh well. I need to get down to business on the baby cross-stitch for my sister in some sort of vain hopes that I might get it done before we leave for our visit next week. Yeah, it's not gonna happen, but you never know, I guess...

rr~8 miles, with dog and stroller. The poor dog. He really needed the exercise, but he's also overdue for grooming (he goes Tuesday) and he was not enjoying the heat. We stopped almost every mile so I could give him water, and I thought that I might have to put him in the stroller towards the end, he was dragging that much. As for me, not a bad run. My legs are definitely a bit tired after three days of workouts in a row, but not horribly. Still averaged a 10:37 pace, which I would be thrilled to be able to run next weekend. Actually, I'd probably be thrilled with 11, but I think the weather will be a huge factor. If it's not too hot, I think I could potentially run fairly well. Maybe.

ETA: I have to share this picture that DS drew on my iphone, for those of you not on FB. It was so freaking sweet that it made me cry in the middle of the restaurant.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=578914629

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#496 of 499 Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 AM

Ack, I lost the Dingos!

Nic--You asked about continuous pills. I am in love with my birth control these days. I don't think my pill is specifically meant to be a continuous pill; it's called Microgestin (which just sounds so birth-controlly to me). Anyway, each pack has the week of blank pills (actually, in this pack they're iron pills, which makes some sense to me with the blood loss and all) but my prescription states to take four packs back to back without taking the blanks in between. It took some telephone calls from the pharmacy to my insurance company the first time I went to get it filled, but they worked it out.

Periods arrive once every three months, and are not nearly as bad as they were before. I still get some cramping and joint pain, but am able to be completely functional, instead of lying on the bathroom floor for days at a time, throwing up and hoping I don't pass out. I'm all for womanhood, but periods are not for me, thanks.

I hope you find something you like that works well for you!

The last couple of weeks have been busy--DD's sixth birthday, then my tenth wedding anniversary, then DH's fortieth birthday. Instead of running, I went out to dinner three separate times, made and ate cupcakes, and made and ate the most gloriously disgustingly sweet ice-cream cake.

Today I began (continued? Resumed?) project: get-DS-the-@#$%-out-of-diapers-he's-four-years-old-for-goodness-sake. It involved chips, lots of carbonated flavored water, and peeing on trees. One accident, so I guess that's a success so far. Tomorrow we'll do it all again. I'm going out of my mind having to stay at home for days at a time, though. Today I made DH cut down a tree in our backyard, and I raked about ten piles of leaves that have nowhere to go until the dump opens on Tuesday.

Now I'm irritable because it's 12:15 and at least one of my children is still up playing in his or her room. After I promised DH some personal attention this evening. I did dramatic shaving in preparation for tonight, dagnabbit! GO TO SLEEP!

DH just got himself a big bowl of ice cream and gave me a on the way through the living room, so I guess it's a lost cause for both of us. Tomorrow I'll have to work harder at tiring out the darling children.

I guess I might as well go to sleep, and hope I can get back on track with running in the morning. And the kids aren't going to believe how early I wake them up.....
#497 of 499 Old 08-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Oh, lalala...I *am* sorry, but dude. I am here.

#498 of 499 Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM

New thread... http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post15690172

#499 of 499 Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
bec

Oh, lala! I have SO been there, done that! They, eventually do sleep!

I slept for 9 straight hours, and my legs are tired today! Not very sore (yet?), but definitely tired!

Taking a rest day (unless I go for an easy swim this evening), but am planning on doing some cleaning around the house. And, I'm going to throw it out there for some accountability, I am going to try to clean my bedroom! I have a tiny bedroom, and it is the overflow for all the junk in the house, so it is very cluttered. My closet is a disaster, and I need to declutter it!

I also have mounds of laundry to fold and put away. At least it's clean!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page