Dingos keeping cool...the monthly thread for July! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, can I start our new thread, just like that?

Come join all the dingo mamas out there running* through the month of July!

*and swimming, biking, hooping, TKDing, rowing, zumba-ing, P90xing, gardening, farming, kid wrangling, and all the other good stuff we do!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#2 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 08:14 AM

and I'm first to sub in.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#3 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#4 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Subbing

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#5 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Shiny new thread!

A friend (ok, one of my two local friends who aren't colleagues ) texted me last night that she was going to Lowe's. I came home crouched in the back of her minivan making sure my new tree didn't wobble around too much. I've wanted a Japanese maple for a specific bit of my backyard since we moved in, and dh and I looked yesterday but could only find trees that would grow to be too tall/wide or were wayyyy too spendy. But this one was the right sort and was in the budget. I'm really thrilled. Now I get to go dig a big hole.

I didn't run this morning. Instead I slept in. Hopefully I'll sneak a run in this evening.

Went to dh's therapy w. him yesterday... quite illuminating. And pretty constructive, although painful at points. Therapist invited me back, although I'm not sure dh will be up for that.

I've got to clean and pack today. I keep cleaning, the house keeps reverting to its native state... like a golf course gone back to prairie.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#6 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Poppy, I am so glad the surg went well, that he found stuff to fix. I hope the healing is fast.

Congrats on the tree, Penelope. My parents gave me a gift of a tree when a friend of mine committed suicide. It shades my chicken coop and reminds me of her. Trees are really the best.

Today, I am going to deworm the sheep, return my niece (a different one) to my sister and hit thrift stores looking for summer dresses for myself. Then, pack up the kids and head north for a couple days. I'll come back Sunday or maybe even Monday. I'm happy to be away from work that long, though I am leaving dh home to work on the fence and take care of things. He seems OK with it. He knows I need to de-stress. My arthritis is flaring and I am having trouble staying awake.

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend, Dingoes!
#7 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Here's the race list for the July thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 8
doctorjen and ds2 - Mr. C's Wenona 5K - August 13
tjsmama - Highlands Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - August 21
Penelope - Omaha Half Marathon - September 6
doctorjen - Chicago Half Marathon - September 12
Realrellim - Panerathon 10K - September 26
tjsmama - Rock-N-Roll Denver Marathon - October 17
kangamitroo - Philadelphia Half Marathon - November 21

The Preggo Dingo List

Realrellim - It's a girl! Welcome baby Julia!
VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - It's a girl! Welcome baby Valentine!

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post
#8 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Dingos 2010 Race Results List
Running Mamas Do Amazing Things!

mommajb - Hang Over Classic 10 miler - January 1 - 1:23
tjsmama - PF Chang's Rock-N-Roll Arizona Marathon - 4:53:54 (very first marathon!) - January 17
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon - 1:21:03 - January 23
grnmtnmama - Singlespeed USA - February 6- Women's Champion!
cornflakegirl - Surf City Half Marathon - February 7 - 1:47:07
Nemesis - Frozen Feat 5K - February 13
ashcav - Hyannis Half Marathon - February 28-1:49:02
bec - Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathon - March 7
Nickarolaberry - Sarasota Half Marathon - March 14 - 2:18:57 (PR!)
Eaglevoice - Newport Spirit 10K Run - March 21 - 1:01:38
doctorjen - Spring Valley Walleye Club 5K - March 27 - 30:33
doctorjen's ds2 - Spring Valley Walleye Club 5K - March 27-39:54
bec - Des Plaines River Half Marathon - March 27 - 2:23:ish
poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon - March 28 - 2:49 (PR!)
zubeldia - Run for the Border Half Marathon - March 28 - 1:58
bec and bec's dh (very first!) - Reach Out and Run 5K - April 10 - bec 35:10, dh 35:04
eksmom - Komen Race for the Cure 5K - April 10 - 33:05
Plady - Whidbey Island Half Marathon - April 11
mommajb - Flying Pig Half Marathon - May 2-1:55
ashcav - Marine Corps Honor Run 5K - May 8 - 22:53 (PR!) (and ashcav's mom's first 5K - 32:30!!)
memiles - NARAL Run for Your Rights 5K - May 8 - 28:21
cornflakegirl - Palos Verdes Marathon - May 15- 3:58:40
Penelope - Papillion Half Marathon - May 16 - 2:13:26
ashcav - KeyBank Vermont City Marathon - May 30 - 4:10:47 - 1st Marathon!
tjsmama - Bolder Boulder 10K - May 31 - 56:52 (PR!)
doctorjen and ds2
- Streator YMCA Memorial Day 5K - May 31 - 31:20- 41:05
Geofizz - UACA 5 Miler - May 31 - 44:50-(PR!)
bec - Naperville Women's Triathlon - June 13 - 1:50:18 (recovering from stress fracture and required to walk the run!)
doctorjen - Steamboat Classic 15K - June 19 - 1:38:34 (automatic PR, because first time racing this distance!)
kerc - Grandma's Half Marathon - June 19
Realrellim - Habitat Hobble - June 19 - 42:13 (pushing a double jogger on a trail!)
tjsmama - 5430 Sprint Triathlon - June 20 - 1:49:46
tjsmama - Slacker Half Marathon - June 26 - 2:12:48
doctorjen - Toluca Double Diamond Dash 5K - June 26 - 29:28
CathToria - Aflac Irongirl Atlanta Triathlon - June 27
doctorjen - Streator Run for Glory 5K - July 3 - 28:03 (course was probably a little short)
bec, dh, and dd1 - Freedom Classic 5K - July 3Realrellim - Rendezvous Run for Independence 5 miler - July 3 - 51:11 (pushing the double jogger!)
Plady -Firecracker Run 5K - July 4 - 29:30 (PR!)
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon - July 11 - 3:27:04 (PR!)
Penelope - Missoula Half Marathon - July 11 - 2:17
tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder - August 8
#9 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I just bookmarked the Couch to 5K site and plan to buy a running bra early next week. I may need a buddy to hold me accountable because running is so completely off my radar screen after all this time
#10 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

I just bookmarked the Couch to 5K site and plan to buy a running bra early next week. I may need a buddy to hold me accountable because running is so completely off my radar screen after all this time
You can do it. Katherine and Jenlove are both pretty early in the game if I recall correctly.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#11 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Subbing, going to try to keep up this month. I finally have read all of last month's thread.
#12 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

Me, me, me. My IRL running partner has only met me once. I need a buddy. I'm going to be doing w2d2 tonight.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#13 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#14 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Subbing.

DrJen - If you see this will you put me on for the Firecracker Run 5k on Sunday?

I never did run yesterday but I did do a spectacular fall in a parking lot while holding Alison and twisted my ankle just enough so that it still hurts a bit. It's just tweaky so I'm sure it will be okay to run at my usual molasses-slow pace on Sunday.
Today I'm taking my kayak out with a friend! that nothing goes dreadfully wrong, I'm a beginner and she's rusty but we're both feeling like we're getting away with something because we're going off without children.

Nemesis and Kerc - You both look beautiful! I'd like to see more pix too!

Jo - Have a lovely weekend, I've been thinking about your dh brandishing the I word, yikes, I hope that's not a real possibility. I don't know how military families do it either.
I'm supposing your writer needs to be local?

Shanti - You've got a whole Dingo pack to keep you accountable if you want that. Have fun bra shopping!

Okay, time to move along.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#15 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 PM

kerc, nemesis - love the pics! Looks like you had a great time.

shanti - so glad to hear that you are all healed up. Welcome back!

penelope - I loooove japanese maples. So beautiful. I'm glad the therapy seems constructive. I hope your DH will go back.

plady - oh no about your ankle! Do you have any arnica gel you can slather all over it? Have fun with the kayak.

rr: My foot is still a bit tender, but not too bad, so I've ran a couple times this week and it turns out that taking weeks and weeks off leaves me out of shape. Running is hard right now! I hope it doesn't take too long to come back because it's pretty discouraging.

Since the CA legislature is lame and never, ever passes budgets in a timely manner, our lovely Governator has ordered state employee pay cut to min. wage until a budget is signed, in the hope that it will put the pressure on them to hurry up. Not even CA min. wage (which is higher), but the fed. min. How the $#&@%$ are we supposed to live on $7/hr? I doubt that's even enough to cover the healthcare deduction. And why is it acceptable to use innocent human beings as pawns in the political games of the rich and powerful? I'm trying really hard not to freak out. Thankfully, the State Controller, who prints our paychecks, is refusing to comply with the order for several reasons. Gah, I hope he sticks to his guns and in the meantime I'm so glad that I can run again to blow off all this steam.
#16 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Holy crap, CFG! That sucks! I really hope the legislature doesn't hold state workers' pay hostage for much longer. Very, very wrong.

Penelope ~ on your new tree! Have fun digging that hole .

Plady ~ hope that ankle feels better for your run this weekend. Enjoy your child-free kayak too .

Shanti ~ for your return to running! I'd be your virtual partner, but I haven't run for real in over a year . Dumb leg.

Last night I rode 26 miles with the tri-club. The last two workouts I've done (one open water swim, one bike) have felt awful and the only common denominator is the honey roasted (and sugar encrusted ) almonds I've been downing. Not a good workout fuel, I guess.

The house is officially on the market. Once again, we'll lose money (we've never made money off a house sale ). I was hoping to at least get back the $60,000 we put down on it, but after all the fees and commission and whatnot, there is no chance of that . Now just to send me house-selling so we can move to Illinois with DH in August, instead of staying here without him for the first half of the school year.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#17 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Since the CA legislature is lame and never, ever passes budgets in a timely manner, our lovely Governator has ordered state employee pay cut to min. wage until a budget is signed, in the hope that it will put the pressure on them to hurry up.
Oh gosh, I hope so too!! That is scary! I wondered how they can just... do that, you know? I'll keep my fingers crossed and my eyes on the news headlines for you.

Plady, have fun kayaking!! I know that sneaking off feeling... whee this is fun!... wait a minute, am I doing something bad?

ITA about Kerc and Nemesis! You guys are some gorgeous Dingos!

Jo, have safe travels, lots of peace and de-stressification.

Oh man, I wish I had had my camera with me today - I took the kids to a natural swimming pool, kind of like a lake with a walkway around it and a diving area and stuff, surrounded by rolling grassy hills, some big trees for shade, just lovely. (And free) The kids loved it, and so did I. I'm sure we'll go back. It's spring-fed, and though the lake was quite warm, since it's not super deep and it's been really hot here, the water gushing from the pipe in the hillside was icy! I kept walking through it.

to everyone, have a great holiday weekend!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#18 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Oh, CFG. That sucks. on your behalf. And lots of

jaygee~ for quick house-selling!

Had a good ride this morning with my friend Amy. We rode the course for next weekend's tri, this is the one with the big-a$$ hill in the middle. The first 7 miles are uphill, with the last 2/3 up to the top at a ridiculous 10%ish grade. I have never, in 5 attempts, had to stop for a break on this hill, but I did today. Not sure what it was, my legs were tired, but my breathing was also totally out of control. Amy didn't have to stop, but at least I felt better that even with my break, I caught and passed her once I got going again. The rest of the ride was great, with the exception of me forgetting to turn my Garmin back on for the first two miles down the hill, which were, of course, my fastest. Oh well, hopefully adrenaline will carry me through the race next week!

Now time to shower and get packed for Glenwood Springs! Can't wait...I love the drive up there, if nothing else, but add in a bike ride and the company of friends, and it should be awesome!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#19 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Subbing!

CFG, as a former state employee, that really sucks. I hope that it blows over quickly and doesn't come to pass.

JayGee, good luck with the house!

Shanti, it's so good to see you again. So sorry about your mom. I know you can get back to the running! I finally finished c25k after restarting it too many times to count and am running 3 miles about 3 times a week, consistently. You can do it!

Penelope, yay for the tree, and interesting about the therapy.

Rough day here, but I'm due for a run and I'm going out to do a little shopping by myself before I go home, AND it is not sweltering 90+ degrees so there are good things.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#20 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM

Shanti, count me in to be your buddy too. I am trying to start C25K.
My workout partner cancelled on our bike ride this morning but I was kinda glad. I am very, very tired lately and could use the extra rest day.
#21 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM

CFG, I'm so damn sorry. That's just wrenching anxiety. Here's sending some "hold fast, man" vibes to the controller.

JayGee, good house-selling vibes. It's such a stressful process! Hope it goes smoothly and quickly.

No run tonight, but I'll get one in tomorrow. Dh is interviewing the cat sitter, and I'm anxious that he won't tell her about all of the plants and they'll die while we're gone. I could stay to micro-manage, but I want to take the kids to the Pride parade, and run, and hit the Farmer's Market for basil, and I can't make all of it happen in one morning.

I think my friend will come water my new tree, at least, and I can pile all of the porch plants onto the deck, so that she just has to water in one place... but I kinda hate travel for this very reason. Super anxious about my space.

Man, I'm a downer.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#22 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM

holy crap ladies. my dad's surgery was rough. He is in so much pain. He has this huge contraption on his foot. Wow. I would love to get some pics, but right now is not the time. He said he has never, ever been in this kind of pain and didn't know if he would be able to come through it while in the recovery room. sigh. poor guy. 10 weeks of this thing. wow.

**warning~not for the faint of heart**

when the nurse had him sit on the side of the bed, blood started pouring out of his foot!! Ack!! He is at home, sleeping now, probably not for long, but we'll get through this one day at a time.

I'll report back later.
#23 of 499 Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM

RM! What an ordeal! I hope the immediate post-op period is the hardest and that your dad finds it's not so horrendous when he wakes up tomorrow.

Penelope - Here's to a stress free trip! that dh tells the cat sitter everything but you can always call and check in if needed right?

CFG - Hang in mama, I'm sending out Be Strong vibes to the SC too, I hope this is all just a big bluff!

Our frozen pizza just fell through the rack in the oven so maybe I'd better go try to salvage dinner.

#24 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 12:24 AM

RM - yikes, that sounds brutal. Was he properly drugged up? I didn't think that surgeries should hurt in this day and age. to him.

Well, the Controller's office has officially refused to comply with the min. wage order from the Gov. because "reducing pay isn't feasible technologically, procedurally or legally". For some reason I don't feel very relieved. I can just see him moving on to IOUs or some other such nonsense to prove his point.
#25 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Morning mamas, I need btdt advice. Alison has what appears to be a plantar's wart on her foot under her big toe. She gets really upset when dh and i try to get a good look at it. One time she had a huge splinter in her foot that we had to hold her down to tweeze out so I don't know if it's the memory of that trauma or if the wart is painful that is making her so squirrely about it. Anyway, what would you do? Let it go and trust that all the web dr.s that say warts go away untreated are right or take her in for a look and risk giving her a thing about her feet for the rest of her life?

Okay, that's my question.

RM - Hope your dad is feeling a little better today, that contraption you posted on FB doesn't look like it gets more comfortable with time though does it? Oy.

#26 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM

RM - ouch i didn't have orthopedic surgery but i can commiserate on the coming out of anesthesia part. vibes for quick healing for your dad

plady - your C is so brave with the whole sleeping in the tent by herself thing! i've had a plantar's wart myself and i just let it go, but i'm no authority. poor sweetie, they are painful.

jo - i just wanted to give you strength and hugs and everything i can muster that the 'I' word never enters your world.

CFG - i'm sorry california is so broke. it makes me so sad to see such hard working people punished, you know especially when the governor is driving around one of his many fancy cadillac escalades. ok, maybe that's not a fair thing to say because he probably earned those through terminator royalties or something but still! we also have the same political pawn game happening in oakland with our police force. great. the city council wants to lay off 200 (badly needed) police and so they are waiting for the police union to back down on pensions in order to save their jobs, meanwhile freaking all of oakland out that we will have no police to keep our neighborhoods safe. it's ugly.

jaygee- good luck!! hope it goes smoothly for you!

mel - um, yeah, i can relate to the ...er, attitude. i struggled with it in my work life often. that pool scenario sounds crazy. come home, mel, come home!

a little cheer for all C25Kers!

eks - s keeping you in my thoughts; good for you for getting out there for a run!

in other news...

i got a job.

i've been working for myself for 4+ yrs and it will be weird to go back (and definitely sad for me not to pick the kids up after school every day) but....we need the income, no doubt about it. luckily both my kids are school aged and so i think the adjustment will be ok. it's a textile design/apparel design position with a really small company in berkeley that makes aprons, etc. this is one of their products (was in the latest sex and the city movie, apparently)
http://tinyurl.com/33rjgvp

happy 4th everyone!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#27 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM

So I had a short, hot, muggy run where my Garmin pooped out 2 steps in, but I'm convinced it was fast and awesome.

Took the kids to the Pride parade, and they had a fabulous time. It was really fun, and I'm excited at the chance to experience some LGBT stuff with them that is exhuberant and happy. (vs. having to start with "hate crimes are bad," yk?)

And bought a bunch of basil at the adjacent farmer's market, so I'm set to make and freeze pesto today.

The cat sitter seemed totally cool and nice and normal, so I'm happier. Off to Target now for sunscreen and toothbrushes and stuff...

#28 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I've got to clean and pack today. I keep cleaning, the house keeps reverting to its native state... like a golf course gone back to prairie.

Shanti - Welcome back!!!!

Poppy - Congrats on the job! I hope it is fulfilling and fills the needs your family has. I've been resisting going back to school or work.

RM - That sounds horrendous. I hope your dad's recovery is better than the surgery.

So, I'm back!!! I had a lovely vacation, but I am very happy to be home again. I did manage to get both of my friends that I visited to start the couch to 5k! I feel like the Johnny Appleseed for running!

I also managed to get some good exercise in during my trip! I swam twice (1/2 mile), went to Friend 1's gym and walked on the treadmill while she worked on week 1 of C25k, and took two exercise classes from friend 2's gym! The first class I took, though, was pretty bad. It was very intense, which would have been fine, except that the woman didn't warm us up, didn't give people options to modify, didn't cool us down, and didn't stretch us! The result was that I am still sore in my quads, 5 days later!

Sooooo, today, I had my 5k! I ran for the first time in over 6 weeks!!!! And the running was good! I ran with my 9 year old. She did a great job, but her feet have grown a lot since she last ran (like a month ago), and her shoes were way too tight. So, she didn't go as long or as fast as she wanted to. We finished in 40 something. DH ran it too (he finished in 37 something). Then, I went and gathered Emily and Abby for their 1 mile race! My little Abby ran the entire mile without walking!!! 4.5 years old! Emily ran the whole way, too, and finished way ahead of us. We walked the mile to and from the race to avoid traffic, so I put in a total of 6 miles today! The best news is, NO LEG PAIN!!!!! Other than sore quads from stupid exercise class, I feel great!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#29 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM

poppy - congratulations on the job! I hope it's just what you need. Yep, you nailed the political pawn game. The min. wage thing is just a strong arming tactic to try to force the unions to bend to his demands for pension reform. It's completely ridiculous because min. wage will actually cost the state $$ in the form of interest, penalties and fines. That's part of the Controller's objection to it. Gah, must stop ranting...I'm getting that sick to my stomach feeling again.

penelope - I'm just so to see that one can teach religion/be religious and take their kids to a pride parade. Those two things seem to be mutually exclusive in my world. You just made my day.

bec - I'm so happy for you that you are healing up so nicely. Hooray for no leg pain!

I can't wait for soccer to be over already. At least there are no more games today.
#30 of 499 Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM

It is so hot, I can barely think. I did the market, got a sunburn (I know ), made enough grocery money to pull us through... I even traded for some organic beets and broccoli! I the market!

CFG- that just makes me sick. I hope things get straightened out soon!

Bec- I'm so glad! Are you still using those compression sleeves? (no hurry to get them back, I am working on DH getting me some pink ones!) I hope things continue to go well!

Penelope- I am glad you are able to relax a little. I'm glad your cat sitter is normal.

Poppy- Wow, I hope you like the job! I am also looking for work after being self-employed for a while. I'm secretly relieved to have a job to work and be done, instead of always being "on". Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page