Green Smoothie Question- is it possible to overblend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've found that green smoothies really help with my weight loss goals. But I have a question: lately I've been making a weeks' worth of smoothies, freezing them in ice cube trays, and then re-blending over the next few days. The taste and consistency changes considerable after being frozen. I was wondering if maybe I'm belnding these too much? Am I destroying some of the nutritional value by blending, freezing, and then blending again?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Yes! It's not so much the overblending - but definitely the freezing/thawing. The idea is to do the green smoothie for the day you will eat it - not lrg amts. It's still better than many junk food alternatives, but fresh would be better
#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, that makes sense! Thanks.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#4 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama View Post
Yes! It's not so much the overblending - but definitely the freezing/thawing. The idea is to do the green smoothie for the day you will eat it - not lrg amts. It's still better than many junk food alternatives, but fresh would be better
Totally agree- I do not care for them if they are not fresh!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the ones I make taste so much better after being frozen. The "green" taste goes away and the sugary taste takes over.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page