Anyone want to exercise across Canada? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I set myself up a little challenge last week. I mapped out the most westerly point of Canada (Haines Junction, YT) and the most easterly (St. John's, NL). The driving distance between the two is about 7850 km. I decided to see how far across the country I could get before I lost the 61 lbs I still need to lose.

Last week, I biked, ran/walked and swam for a total of 78 km. Starting at Haines Junction, I am almost halfway to Whitehorse!

I was thinking that strength training would be 1 km = 10 min and a 1 hour aerobics class = 5 km. Those are really the only things that I do.

If anyone is intersted in joining me on this cross country check, just let me know how many kms you log and week and I can keep track of where you are. I already set something up for myself in Excel, so it would be easy to add new people.

LM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Hey there!

I'm near Vancouver BC and would love to join you!

I'm new to exercising regularly and have about 150lbs to loose. I weighed in for the first time today at 305... but I've decided to aim for just 100lbs to begin with. Still, its a lot of weight to loose.

I'm walking on the treadmill for a half hour each day. As I gain more stamina I plan to include other forms of exercise like aquafit and riding my bike long distances (longer then just my regular trips to the bank and grocery store!). It tells me that I do 2.25km in the 30 minutes that I walk on the treadmill. It'll take me a long time to get across Canada at this rate but I'm willing to try!

I'm at 6.75km so far!

What a great idea.

Thanks!
Dee
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 PM

I did 5km on my bike and 1km on the treadmill.
So I'm up to 12.75km

-Dee
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Dee

Awesome that you would ike to join up. I added you to my spreadsheet in Excel. The first leg is big - 155 km from Haines Junction, YT to Whitehorse, YT. Good news is that the next one is 19 km!

12.5 km is a great start. Each day you will get stronger and stronger. I am working on a learn to run program and if had asked me a week ago if I could run 2 minutes at time I would have laughed at you. But hey, I did it today! Stronger day by day.

I'm afraid that the route doesn't take us through Vancouver Of course it takes us no where near where I live either

Look forward to hearing your progress.

LM
Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Hi,
Found this thread through Google Alerts that I have set up for Haines Junction (I live here)......
just wanted to let you know that the most Westerly community in Canada is about 300 km northwest of Haines Junction up the Alaska Highway.
It's a little town called Beaver Creek. Population about 100.
I'd start there if you're planning on going from as far west as you can to as far east.
Whitehorse is 160 km from Haines Junction and a rather flat ride and the only services are 32km from HJct going towards Whse.
Any other questions, ask away! And happy riding!! Way more motivation than I have!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 AM

I've decided to post once a week, on Mondays when I weigh in... I'm at 15km so far.
I've got my sister roped into this challenge too. She said she'll keep track of her km's herself, though, but will be reading this tread as we make our way across Canada!

-Dee
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Dee

Sorry I missed checking in this week. Have had major computer problems. But I am back on line now.

Last week I managed to complete 45 km of biking, swimming, running and walking. I have a grand total (as of Monday) of 123 km; only 32 to go until Whitehorse.

I am glad to see that you are making progress. Each day is a little bit further.

Glad to hear that your sister is joining us. Tell her the first stop is Whitehorse - 155 km.

Happy trails.

LM
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 AM

Hey there,

I did another 9.5km. I'm at 24.5km! I'll get to Whitehorse eventually!
As of Monday I lost 1 pound. Its progress.

-Dee
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is such a fun idea!

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM

Care to join us, Bunny?
We're havin' a great time!
-Dee
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM

I did another 3km since my last post and am now at 27.5km.
I lost half a pound.

Chuggin' Along,
-Dee
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Bunny! Come join us. It's warm in the Yukon this time of year.

Congratulations on your 27.5 km and 0.5 lb! You are now 1/5 of the way to Whitehorse!

I did 67 km last week and managed to gain 0.5 lb - not entirely sure how. I have a grand total of 193 km since I started. This means I've passed Whitehorse and Marsh Lake and I am 19 km into the 108 km trip to Johnsons Crossing. Someday I will make it to BC

I'm a little disappointed that I have only managed to lose 4 lb so far, despite the exercise and eating better (I'm not going to say great). I'm going to call the naturopath tomorrow and see if I can get my thyroid checked.

Happy trails this week.

LM
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Dee

So I managed 36 km last week. I did however do a lot of swimming which is a lot of work for a little mileage. I'm still working my way to Johnsons Crossing.

I'm also happy that I have lost 3 lbs this week. I really just want to figure out how to coordinate my efforts and weight loss. I didn't eat great last week and my exercise was less than usual, but I lost weight. Ugh. Hopefully have good news after the naturopath visit tomorrow.

Hope you are having a good week. Come on Whitehorse!

LM

User Tag List