Help me......What are you eating?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just started 30 day shred and I am looking for a way to lose weight (50+ lbs).
I used to be pretty fit and a rec triathlete sprints mostly....until ds in 2007

I am nursing an 11 mos old.

I need a diet plan to go with it....dh goes back to work in a month (parental leave) and I want to get my self to a place where I have some energy for my 2 kiddos and to be happy with myself....I am soo crabby...(poor kids gotta live with me)

I have been reading through these threads as much as I can and think I will try to cut grains maybe?
hmmmmm.

I have a tough time sticking to working out...I loved P90X for the whole week I did it 10 mos ago.... workouts were way too long!

I don't eat junk, but at almost 41 it doesn't matter I can't get below 190lbs (eeek hard to see in print, I am 5'3 and size 16)

SSSSSoooooo, to get to the point....

What are you eating...I need to find a new way to eat...

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#2 of 7 Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 PM

I exercised for 2 months and didn't lose a pound. Once I changed my diet, that + exercise really helped. Here is what I eat in a typical day:

Bfast - 1 whole egg, 1 egg white, slice of ham (different styles - scrambled, fried, omelet)

Morning snack 30 minutes before I work out - 6oz plain greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of Kashi crunch, 1/2 cup of strawberries, and 1/4 cup blueberries.

Lunch - Huge salad (carrots, clelery, romaine, cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, cheese) with grilled chicken breast on top and 1 oz of ranch dressing.

Afternoon snack - some nuts or fruit

Dinner - 6-8 ounces of some sort of protein (chicken, lean hamburger, steak, shrimp or fish), 1/2 cup of rice or potatoes, veggie, salad

I track all my food on an app on my iPhone and it counts my calories, carbs, proteins, and fats. Tracking your food is a great way to see what you are eating. If you don't have an iPhone you can use fitday on the internet. It is free.

I know you didn't ask, but in terms of exercise, I really didn't start losing weight until I started running. I used to hate running, but it has helped tremendously. Also, lifting weights helps a lot too. Muscle burns calories faster than fat does. I do 30 minutes of cardio + 30 minutes of intense weight lifting a day.
#3 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM

I am doing a 3 month transformation contest and one of the requirements is you use the program. I had researched that and a lot of other programs for quite a while so I was sure this one was excellent. It's called Turbulence Training and there is a link in my signature. The workouts are shorter than what I was doing and his diet advice is mostly okay but not exactly how I do things now because I simply don't believe we should eat grains at all (but I was doing weekly cheat days).

The workouts are wonderful. For me. They are interesting and challenging and effective. For someone who doesn't ever want to touch a weight, I think the key is to find what you love and do that. Diet is the key to getting to the right size and exercise helps get you there more quickly and helps shape your body.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#4 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM

I did the 30 day shred for roughly 23 days before I got sick and had to stop. I don't know how much weight I lost, but clothes did start fitting much better. Now, I'm doing low carb and can tell a HUGE difference in how things are fitting and I've only been doing it for two weeks!

Cutting back on carbs - no pasta, bread, crackers, etc., but more protein, nuts, dairy, etc.,
Breakfast - yogurt - 11 to 15 carbs
Lunch - chicken breast wrap or a salad of some sort
Snack - dry roasted nuts or almonds - maybe some fruit like watermelon, blueberries
Dinner - Hamburger pattie or fish and veggies

Keep it simple. Portion size is VERY important no matter what sort of diet you're doing.

Good luck, mama!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM

I do low carb (i.e. no grains, no refined anything, not much fruit) and only recommend it if it is a permanent lifestyle change, b/c if you use it as a diet you gain weight very fast once you eat regular carbs again.

Low carb requires, imo and ime, a lot of reading and a new way of cooking which you may not have time for. However, it is very fast and very effective.

Are you getting enough sleep? I found I could not lose weight no matter how much I exercised or how pristine my diet was so long as I was seriously sleep deprived.

Right now I swear by this 20 minute Shape dvd. It is fast and OMG the results have been amazing for me. I've dropped 2 sizes, but only lost 3 lbs. And for some reason, it's never easy for me, I always feel the burn, which is kind of odd given that I'm doing harder, longer workouts other days of the week and those are easier!

I also try not to eat anything after dinner unless I'm truly hungry. If I'm not trying to lose weight, I would eat, but for weight loss I have found I need that long period from night to the next day with no food for weight loss.

Lastly, I think everyone's body is completely different, so experiment, read, see what you like and respond to.

For low carb cooking I recommend Kalyn's Kitchen to get you started with recipes, Also, you'll need to keep an eye on milk supply and low carb. Most women are fine, but some have supply issues in which case, add in more fruit and see if that helps.

A sample menu for me would be...

Breakfast: Egg 'muffin' recipe from Marks Daily Apple site (kind of messy to make, but good for reheating all week long) or almond flax muffins with dark chocolate and sweetened with Splenda. Cottage cheese (full fat) or leftovers.

Lunch:Batch cook some taco meat and have taco salad with salsa, fresh guacamole topped with almonds. Once the meat is cook, the salad takes 2minutes to put together for a delicious & nutritious quick lunch. Then branch out into other salads--I did an asian meatball and slaw salad, buffalo chicken salad, italian marinated chicken salad, steak and bleu cheese salad etc...

Always batch cooking the meat so I had 3-5 days worth of lunch ready to go.

Dinner: Meat and non starchy veggie. Steak and asparagus. Ribs and green beans. Chicken and broccoli. Etc...

For low carb cooking, get into marinades and spices for flavor and variety. (I usually will use some sugar in sauces as its so incremental it doesn't hurt my weight loss and adds a lot of flavor).

HTH

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#6 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Well, I eat basically the same thing every day, but I'll share.

Breakfast is usual oatmeal w/blueberries, sometimes with hard boiled egg whites (I feed the yolk to dd- cute!)
On days DH is off, I'll make fried eggs, with bacon, fruit, and coffee.

Lunch is always a salad. It's big, and has lots of veggies. Usually grilled shrimp ( I keep them in the freezer and throw a few on the george forman), sometimes chicken or leftover steak on top. Olive oil and vinegar for dressing.

Snacks include apples, nuts and cheese.

Dinner most nights is a lean meat with steamed veggies. I know DH and ds get bored, so I'll throw in some of their favorite meals, but for the most part, they go along with it, lol

A good after dinner snack, for me, is either fruit or plain popcorn. I don't always succeed, though, and nightime snacking is my downfall.

Also wanted to add I only drink water or unsweetened tea.
#7 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all.....I have been reading your posts and checking all your links

I am on day 3 of 30 day shred...eating more I think...I use Loseit on my Ipod ...not consitantly....hmmm patern here...lol

I wamt todo low carb and kickstart my weight loss, but I just read another post saying it would cause low energy!

I cannot afford low energy if I want to keep working out and take care of my little ones

it is difficult to get time to try and google/read about all this....
3 yr old tormenting 11mos old....grrrrrr-bye

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page