considering second pregnancy: weight loss experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello:
I have read a lot here on weight loss after second and third kids..but I was wondering specifically about the differnce between having lost weight and getting back in shape after a first to the second. Our baby is 15 months and I am in the best shape of my life after a TON of work.

I am really not wanting to get pregnant again at all and if I just knew more of what to expect, some of my resistance might drop. Of course there are other things holding me back (space, money, living in NYC and not wanting to leave but not sure we could stay with 2, wondering how it will be with an infant and a 2 or 3 year old, hoping the next love bean isn't colicy) but right now it just feels so good to have my body and self back...and I think back to the pregnancy but also the 5-6 months after where I had no energy really to work out...it's more than a full year of giving up my body again. (for a good cause, but having a really hard time doing it)

Can anyone speak to getting back in shape after the second? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM

I got back in to shape MUCH quicker the 2nd time around. I think it's because I know I done having kids and could commit more to exercising, eating right and being active. Not that I wasn't doing all of this after I had my first child, but I'm in a different mind set now.
I was back in my pre-preg size much quicker this time around, my weight loss is less than my pre-preg weight, and I just feel better.

Good luck. But I think your decision to have another child should weigh heavier on the space, money, and well, of course, your gut instinct more than how your body will look.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

well thanks. of COURSE it's more important to make this decision on other things. My body wouldn't prevent me from doing it, or my views on my body, but knowing experiences can help me go through it in a better way. This was the section for health and fitness and I felt more comfortable sharing my concerns that are more shallow than the others.

I started a thread about only children for exactly the deeper questions. This was honestly my stubbornness about not wanting another pregnancy- and this from a homebirther who had an AMAZING experience- I am simply not looking forward to everything that comes with pregnancy- commuting, getting uncomfortable, yes, getting back out of shape for after and the fatigue that comes with those first few months. Looking back I think I also had a bit of PPD. I have never been happier in my life, and would not change a thing about the last 2 years, but I will not overromantacize that time for myself, or how it felt to be overweight.

your response is key- because you make a great point- you knew so much more for the second. I will go into this one with more knowledge and experience and not wait so long to try to get back into shape. But at the 8 month mark, I started the gym every morning before work and I guess I am just hoping that I can get back to where I have worked so hard to be. I guess why not...it's just weight.
#4 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM

It doesn't have to be a full year giving up your body. For most you can keep working out through pregnancy(although scaling as need be and listening to your body). I think it makes pregnancy sooooo very much better when you keep up your activity level throughout. Afterwards I think it is good to give your body some healing time but even a few weeks afterward(assuming normal preg and birth and listening to your body) you can start back slow and gently- After a couple of months or so you can get more back into your routine.

At 7 mo pp w/ #3 I am not in as great as shape as pre-pregnancies but working on it again but at this point I feel I can do anything exercise wise that I could before. I have got back in shape after each pregnancy- I would always like to do better but I have felt fairly pleased w/ my body.

I would check into food intolerances for your "colicky" baby. I had one the first time and with my subsequent babies I have figured out that the 'colic' was just food intolerances. My health and well-being is SOOOO much better as I can now sleep as my baby sleeps sooo much better. For the first few months I would rest in the afternoon (ie lay on the couch for a littlebit- ) haven't felt the need in a while though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks crunchy- we did all of the food intolerances, I went to a fully holistic nutritionist and lactation consultant and looking back, I think she was overtired and because I was having some trouble BFing, never really 100% full with hind milk. I could be wrong. I was off dairy and it did not last long (the colic) but by definition colic is spending 3 or more hours a day with a crying (or preventing them from crying) baby, and for a while that's all we did (she wasn't crying, but we were working VERY hard to prevent it). This was the red faced sobbing. For hours and hours. But I am so happy to hear that your subseqent baby time is better for you- I don't know what I will do different but I am sure I will look back at my first time mom self and laugh the next time around!

Like I said, it was short- a few weeks or a month at most- and I am very slow to use any term of labeling but seeing lots of babies before and since, I know that what she went through was not abnormal, but not typical either. it kills me to think I could have missed something, and could have helped her not go through that.

Thank you for the reminder that I can start earlier...I just didn't have it in me that first time. But each one is so different, and you are right about keeping in shape during. I didn't gain a lot during the pregnancy- maybe 25lbs, but I didn't stay in cardio shape or go to the gym either.

thanks so much!
#6 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 PM

It took me 5 months after having both of my children to get back to prepregnancy size. The only difference is that the 1st, I didn't have to do anything, and this time I exercised and watched what I ate.
Good Luck!
#7 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! I am used to that- I only started daily gym at 8 months and it took a few months to drop most of it, then the final few to tweak it. It's sort of like the first time around, I was obsessed with post partum healing and what to expect, and then it was FINE. So thanks.
#8 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM

I did not get into really great shape until after dc #2 but I did watch 2 women at the gym who when through their pregnancy's and were super active at the gym still (cardio, and weights) and afterwards were back at the gym within 4-6 weeks (I think that you have to definitely see how YOU feel afterwards, they started out walking on the treadmill and doing much lighter weights). Anyway, I was amazed at how quickly they got back into shape. I think that if I was to get pregnant again I would definitely do things differently in that regard, I would stay super active. I thought I was active with both pregnancies but really I just was walking, and I no longer consider that very active (maybe moderately active).
#9 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It didn't take long for me to get back in shape after my second baby. I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes within two months.

Now my fourth baby is a different story. He's about to turn three and I still have 18 pounds left to lose.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#10 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM

I had a harder time with #2, honestly. I had lost a TON of weight after child #1, the preg weight plus the 50 lbs that I needed to lost before that, and I was in awesome shape. I did start working out a lot sooner bc my body knew what to do, but it took me every bit of a year plus weight watchers (I nursed for almost 3 years and added the points and all that) to lose just my preg weight from #2. Actually, I'm still hanging on to a stubborn 7 lbs and ds is FIVE. I know that feeling all too well, and having 2 is very hard. That being said, as I guess most of us would say, I could never imagine not having ds, he is such a fantastic and funny little guy, a great compliment for my intense dd. good luck, and whatever you decide I will say it is GREAT to know that I am done having babies and nursing and my body is what I want it to be, more or less.
#11 of 12 Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 AM

I had a difficult time after my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy I snapped back to pre-pg size (if not even smaller now that I think about it) very very quickly. My second pregnancy or rather the postpartum period threw me for a loop. I naively expected I'd snap back as I did the first time around. NOPE! Third pregnancy, I held on to some of the weight and again, it was taking a lot of work to lose it (A LOT!).

I just had a baby at the beginning of June (4th pg, 5th baby, 4th c-section) and I was back in pre-pg size within a month or less. No idea how or why. Or maybe it was because I ate really well during the pg and used protein shakes quite often and that helped curb my night time eating? I'm now 1.5 months PP and with some work (cardio everyday), I've lost ten pounds in 2.5 weeks. I have another 30ish to go before I'm where I want to be, as I held on to weight from the 2nd and 3rd pg when I started my 4th. :/

I totally understand your hesitation, I really do. I've only been working on myself for 2 weeks or so now. And I'm tempted to do another surrogacy or egg donation cycle, but I'm afraid of my work going to heck and my body ballooning back up. Call me selfish but that's what I'm thinking and why I'm probably done.
#12 of 12 Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM

With each pregnancy (3 of them) I bounced right back. Pre-pregnancy weight by around 4 months..however it did take a bit longer to get my muscles and lean-ness back. I gained right around the same weight with each one 30 lbs. I like to thank my genetics for it and the fact that I was in shape prior to getting pregnant.

I think being in "the best shape of your life" prior to getting pregnant is a really awesome thing for you and the baby! Being in shape before hand will help you in bouncing back, you'll still have to work hard to regain those muscles and strength but it shouldn't be as hard to accomplish, as long as you eat healthy and exercise during pregnancy.

Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page