Struggling to come off a very restrictive diet plan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did Medifast for 3.5 months and lost 30lbs. It was incredibly easy. I ate 5 of their meals, one of my own that was very low fat, low carb and the weight just melted off.

But, I'm under no delusions that it was heath food. It was prepackaged, powdered, soy based (mostly) crap food. But, it did it's job.

My problem is that I'm struggling to maintain on my own. I'm eating too much, I'm eating whatever I feel like etc...

For me, it seems that I'm either on a seriously restrictive plan or I'm out of control.

When I'm on a plan, I stick to it, don't cheat etc.....

So, we recently went out of town and ended up having to attend a funeral. Over the past two weeks, I put on about 8lbs - again by eating without control.

So, I started back on Medifast yesterday and I'm doing perfectly. No cheating, iron willed determination to get this weight off again but, to what end? To just go off the plan and go crazy again?

Sigh...... what am I missing? Clearly something hasn't clicked with me. Why can't I eat real food but eat within reason? Why do I need a severely restrictive diet to loose weight? At this rate, I'll never be able to maintain my loss. I'll go off plan, gain weight, have to go back on a severe plan to take it off again, go off, gain etc.....
#2 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need to create your own maintenance plan to follow, which it sounds like you haven't.

Try South Beach or Atkins maintenance level for a plan. Or create your own.

Make your own shakes with veggies, fruits and yogurt and do a maintenance version of Medifast.

I find that maintenance has to be essentially what I did to lose weight but with a few extras. Otherwise it becomes a free for all.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Congratulations on dropping all that weight!

I haven't done a plan like Medi-Fast but I have operated like that in the past.
I'd stick to Fat Flush or South Beach to the letter. Come off and the bread and butter would just fly into my mouth and onto my butt.

I've recently had success being meticulous about tracking my calories. I have been using FitDay. I'm currently comparing Spark People and MyPlate because I heard they were better. Also, I use measuring cups, measuring spoons, a kitchen scale. Once you do it for a month or so you know how many calories are in a banana or slice of whole wheat bread and you don't have to record all the time.
The reason the pre-packaged programs work so well is because they restrict your calories for you.

Also, have you been exercising? That's the other key to long term weight loss. Sweat for an hour 4 or 5 days a week.
#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM

I have had great success with Dr. Fuhrman's book: Eat to Live. You can check him out at: http://drfuhrman.com/

Good luck with finding a workable solution!
#5 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 03:05 PM
lab

I'm like you - I don't cheat. I can easily say no to food that isn't on the plan. For a limited amount of time.

Sounds like this is the same situation you have. After a while of depriving yourself, you can't take it and you cut loose. That's my problem anyway. It took me a while to recognize my pattern - but now I keep a balance about food. I stay away from processed food and eat clean. I love South Beach by the way....but I recognize that I need to cheat. Especially around AF.

I have maintained my weight of 115 for going on 6 years now. In the summer when I'm working hard I might slide down to 113. And in the winter when I can cover I usually bump up to 117 or so.....anyway - my point is that cheating has a place...

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#6 of 13 Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 PM

I can totally relate to this! I'm the exact same way. Dh and I are starting South Beach tomorrow. It's the only thing I've ever succeeded with because it works for me and because it's healthy. Good luck on figuring out what works for you.
#7 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 02:06 AM

I bet calorie counting would work really well for you. You'd have the structure of a 'plan' but the freedom to eat whatever you want (ie, real food).

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#8 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 03:01 AM

I'm surprised they don't give you a maintenance plan to help make the transition!

As well as finding a maintenance plan for yourself, I'd recommend this book to help, it really cleared up a lot of reasons for me as to *why* I couldn't just eat normally, esp after dieting for so long.
http://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Eati...0124090&sr=8-1

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#9 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Jade - they do have a maintanance plan. I didn't follow it. We had a trip to Chicago planned so I went off for that. My FIL ended up passing so we had a lot of time at the hospital, wake, funeral etc... and, my eating got out of control. We're now back 3 weeks and I'm up 8lbs.

I'm starting back on medifast this morning. I hate having to do it but, I'm out of control. I'm going to go through their maintanance plan and see how I do.
#10 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM

ugh, I just had a long post written up and my browser just ditched out. *sigh*

Anyway, the gist: I'd write up a weekly or monthly meal plan... write down everything you are allowing yourself to put in your mouth for each day. Keep it in your pocket and don't allow any more than that.

For me the prepackaged stuff works because it's sorta brainless and obvious what to eat, but when I am on my own I make excuses (like, "this is ok because it has protein in it..." but really it's cheesecake, so probably not the best choice.) So writing out a restrictive "here's what you are allowed to eat today" plan would probably work better for me. Make sure you measure out portion sizes, though.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#11 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

You know I don't do well when traveling either. It's too off schedule for me and it's hard to find foods that I can eat on a consistent basis (considering I just found out I can't stand most fast food anymore without the carbs to mask the over salted meat--the unfortunate side effect of cutting salt).

So maybe when you travel, do medifast for one or two meals and splurge on the third???? I may need to look into something like this myself.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#12 of 13 Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM

You could try doing Weight Watchers online. It gives you a set number of "points" for the day and you can track what you eat on their website. I think having to be aware of what you eat helps you keep from overeating.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 13 Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Hey there, I know this thread is super old but I found it and thought I'd reply since I'm a now health coach with Take Shape For Life, which uses the Medifast program...

I think the missing link might be support.  There is a structured transition and maintenance plan that most Medifast clients probably don't follow, but all Take Shape For Life clients who have a free health coach know about it because their coach helps them through it.  The success rates for TSFL clients is much higher than Medifast clients, and I'm not just saying that.

So my advice would be 1) get a coach, and 2) have your coach help you create a vision of yourself as living your life at your goal weight.  You will have to keep this image of yourself in your head everyday, and that's how you will make the choices that support this vision of yourself.  It's not always easy to say no to certain foods, but if choosing health means saying no to a piece of cake, then you'll do it because maintaining your goal weight is more important than the cake of the moment.

As a 35 year old mom of two, I've come to realize that yes, I have to watch what I eat everyday.  But, the alternative, which is gaining weight going into my 40s, is not a suitable alternative for me, so it's OK for me to say no to certain foods that don't help me stick to my goal for a healthy me.  I try to not have "bad" stuff in the house, and I get a lot of practice not eating cake and pizza at birthday parties.  I also have to practice not caring what other people think.  That's the most important thing, and that's what a good coach will help you do. 

~ Belinda, single 35 yr old WAHM to two super-cute DDs 8/17/03 and 1/27/07 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page