HCG diet SUPPORT thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
OMG yum, that sounds so yum. How did you make it? Did you do anything special, or just throw some kale in an omelet?

Those of you using egg substitute, do you use 1/4c per egg?
First, congrats on your success so far! You're doing great! For the omelette, I just steamed a bunch of kale with dried onion flakes, added 1 egg plus 2 egg whites (but actually later found out I could have added 3!), added a bit of salt and pepper and cooked it in a nonstick pan. Pretty simple but it was satisfying for a looong time.

I bought milk carton shaped container of egg whites, and there are instructions on it --3tbsp is equivalent to whites of one large egg and 1/3 cup is equivalent to 2. So I mixed together 1 whole egg plus 1/3 c. egg whites.

I am having a hard time with fish based meals. My dinner was soooo not satisfying (baked perch and steamed chard). Sounds better than it was.

Well, my hunger was a bit more under control today. Avani, I'm definitely trying those kale chips!! And thanks for the smart water tip, I added it to my shopping list.

What do you all think about those spritzer salad dressings? They have about 10 calories for 10 spritzes...tempting. Hmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerpav View Post
Maiasaura--I have a seltzer maker and plan on putting it to use a lot! I'll have to check out some of those stevia flavors...don't have much experience with Stevia. I bought a small container of the unflavored drops and they are super sweet.

Hmmm...Ubermama and Mamachicken, that gives me hope that these hunger pangs will pass! Thanks. Are you both doing homeopathic? Mamachicken, I think I will try a protein in the AM tomorrow. I teach part time, and can't imagine getting through a morning of teaching without any breakfast.
I'm doing the injections. Good luck!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerp
av;15890000
First, congrats on your success so far! You're doing great!
Thank you! Every day now is so...like, I go, "I really hope the scale looks good tomorrow". I have never been successful at any diet (except Weight Watchers the first time I did it) so it's really hard for me to believe I can lose, even on this, even seeing everyone else's successes.
I'm sticking to it, though.

I've been on 3 days of VLCD and the only things I have done not on protocol is 1) I put a bit of cucumber slices in a green salad (they were both going bad and needed used up) and 2) I have twice used maybe a half tsp of chicken base, once in a soup I made and once to flavor something-or-other (forgot already; would have to check my notes).

If I notice any stalls, I will modify and see what happens. I also have been eating ALL the foods I'm allowed, IOW I have not skipped melba toast or anything.

Quote:
For the omelette, I just steamed a bunch of kale with dried onion flakes, added 1 egg plus 2 egg whites (but actually later found out I could have added 3!), added a bit of salt and pepper and cooked it in a nonstick pan. Pretty simple but it was satisfying for a looong time.
So it sounds more like steamed kale with scrambled eggs mixed up in it? I don't have any kale right now but I think I'm going to make eggs tomorrow...I am craving them! Maybe with cabbage? Or spinach?

Quote:
I bought milk carton shaped container of egg whites, and there are instructions on it --3tbsp is equivalent to whites of one large egg and 1/3 cup is equivalent to 2.
Did you buy the yellow ones that are more like Egg Beaters? Or the plain white ones that say "egg whites"? I have some leftover yellow ones in my fridge but they just say "1/4c equivalent to one egg". Yet the ingredients say "egg whites". No yolks.

Quote:
I am having a hard time with fish based meals. My dinner was soooo not satisfying (baked perch and steamed chard). Sounds better than it was.
I'm not having that hard a time (yet ). Once I steamed some in a tray in the toaster oven, in water/lemon/onion and spices on top of the fish, with lemon slices. I didn't like that time so much because I used foil on top, and I like mine crispier. So the next time, I didn't cover it, and I liked it much better. I'm trying different spices, too. I may use Old Bay next time

I was lots less hungry today, too

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM

So I'm on loading day #2 right now. Feeling pretty icky and looking forward to tomorrow (especially since I've been doing WW for the past few months & am NOT used to eating fat like this!).

Loading day #1 (Preload) weight = 182.2
Loading day #2 weight = 184

I'm nervous about being super hungry. I did a big shopping yesterday & have lots of on program things in the fridge ready to go. Wish me luck & I'll update tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM

As far as liquid stevia and glycerin... I am using Sweet Leaf brand liquid stevia and the ingredients are purified water, stevia extract, and natural flavors. I bought them at Whole Foods. I bought the root beer, English toffee, and vanilla cream.

For coffee in the morning, I do the vanilla cream drops with dash of cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg with tbsp skim milk. Tastes like pumpkin spice!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM

i was feeling pretty discouraged yesterday. i was so hungry! i cheated a little bit at dinner and ate some of ds steak. but i still woke up to 222 so a 3.6 lb loss! awesome! hopefully today is better. im hungry for sure but not ravenous!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 PM

What day are you on, kristine?

I'm on VLCD4 and here are my stats for the day:

Day before Loading Days: 185.4
Loading Day 1: 182.4
Loading Day 2: 183.0
VLCD1: 184.6
VLCD2: 182.2 (-2.4)
VLCD3: 180.8 (-1.4)
VLCD4: 180.0 (-0.8)

Gawd, I hope I don't stall already.

Here is the thing. I've been hovering around 179-184 for ages now. I will truly believe this works when I get and stay below 178. Until then I am hopeful but not laying my life on it, kwim?

I had the killer lunch today!! Steamed 1 bunch of rainbow chard, cut into bite-sized pieces, with granulated garlic and Bragg's, then added 1 giant egg + 1/4c egg beaters (that I'd mixed up in a cup) and scrambled that into the chard. Then let it almost burn. OMG, mamas

And flavored stevia? Holy cow. Vanilla creme in selzer but it's almost too sweet, believe that!! Crazy, huh?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Today's my 1st VLCD & I'm so hungry!!! I'm worried my HCG isn't working... help.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Is anyone else here a strict vegetarian or vegan? I am having trouble figuring out what my equivalents would be in non-meat alternatives.

100 grams of meat... would I then do 100 grams of a meat alternative (beans, tempe, fake meat, ect)?

I am on day 1 of the VLCD.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM

ct doula--hang in there!! I am on day 4 and it has been so much easier than the first 2 days! I think your body gets used to it and the hcg kicks in after a few VERY tough days.

lizallen--I too wish there were vegan/veg alternatives on VLCD but there don't seem to be. If you try this with your own subsitutions I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. Good luck!

Maiasaura--yum! I will have to try it with chard too...

This morning I was down 0.6 lbs. I was thinking the same thing, Maiasaura--I hope this doesn't mean it will continue in this direction. But on the flip side, it is still a substantial loss for just one day, right? Guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. 'Night mamas!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizallen View Post
Is anyone else here a strict vegetarian or vegan? I am having trouble figuring out what my equivalents would be in non-meat alternatives.

100 grams of meat... would I then do 100 grams of a meat alternative (beans, tempe, fake meat, ect)?

I am on day 1 of the VLCD.
If you are lacto-ovo vegetarian, you can do low fat cottage cheese and eggs (1 whole egg to 2-3 whites, depending on egg size). As far as vegan goes, I have heard that quinoa and brown rice protein powder are acceptable. I did not do quinoa, but I did use the brown rice protein powder a few times when I was sick of eggs and cottage cheese.
From what I understand, you do not want to use beans of any kind, including soy products (they don't have the right protein/carb/fat ratio). As far as fake meats go, while they are close to the ratio, they are not real food, IMO. One of the things that the HCG diet does is cleanse your palate and help your body detox, which is probably hard to do when you are eating highly processed fake meats, you know?
For what it's worth, I did the diet vegetarian (as I said, eggs, cottage cheese, and rice protein a few times). I lost just about 20lbs in a little under 4 weeks. I will be starting round 2 next week and plan on doing it the same way. Hope that helps.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 PM

AND you look awwwwwwwesome..... Just sayin'.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
AND you look awwwwwwwesome..... Just sayin'.
Right back at you, lady! Seriously, I meant to say something after seeing you Thursday morning... but you know, things got a little crazy.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
Today's my 1st VLCD & I'm so hungry!!! I'm worried my HCG isn't working... help.
In my experience a lot of people mistake cravings and screaming receptor sites for hunger. It's a tough call without knowing more, but it's *possible* that you are not dealing well with removing foods your body was relying on (in a not-so-healthy way.) It's kinda like trying to quit smoking cold turkey....that in and of itself would be terribly uncomfortable. Sometimes removing certain foods can feel the same way. That's the cue that you did the right thing though. I can tell you that when I first removed gluten years ago that for a solid week I must have eaten 4000 calories a day and for that entire week I felt as though I was starving to death. Clearly, I was not. That can well be the case on this protocol and often is.

That said, different people do respond differently to the hcg. If you are on a homeopathic version, do make sure you aren't antidoting repeatedly. That could be an issue. Another problem could be dosage, yet another could be product. I've had several people in the clinic that needed to switch brands because one wasn't working for them.

Days 1-3 can be super tough. If you can post more about where you're coming from and what you're goals are perhaps we can work through it? I hope you get it figured out because this is such a rewarding experience.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post
Right back at you, lady! Seriously, I meant to say something after seeing you Thursday morning... but you know, things got a little crazy.
We're rockin' it! And pssssssht...I don't know what you're talking about. Crazy? Did I miss something?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
What day are you on, kristine?

I'm on VLCD4 and here are my stats for the day:

Gawd, I hope I don't stall already.

Here is the thing. I've been hovering around 179-184 for ages now. I will truly believe this works when I get and stay below 178. Until then I am hopeful but not laying my life on it, kwim?
It's strange, but I've read that women especially can stall or seemingly stall every 4-5 days and then suddenly begin losing regularly again. And I've found this to be true for me somewhat. I'll lose a bit, gain .5, stay steady at one weight and then suddenly lose a pound and lose .5 everyday thereafter for a few days until I stall again. So strange!

Quote:
Honestly? The first two days of VLCD were he** for me. I was HUNGRY. It was not cravings, it was just my stomach grumbling loudly, a hunger headache.. yeah, true hunger. I was tired. I was starving. But from what I've read, that is quite normal for a lot of people. It SHOULD get better, keep in mind. After 2-3 days of VLCD, I began feeling full easily, not starving when I woke up and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinekristine View Post
i was feeling pretty discouraged yesterday. i was so hungry! i cheated a little bit at dinner and ate some of ds steak. but i still woke up to 222 so a 3.6 lb loss! awesome! hopefully today is better. im hungry for sure but not ravenous!
Congrats on the loss. I've cheated a little here and there. I just keep it at a bare minimum. Like tonight, I added a bit of salsa to my chicken (store bought salsa, not homemade!). It has a tiny bit of sugar in it, and I used maybe 1 tbsp at most. But if I keep it at a bare min like that, I seem to do okay.

AFM: VLCD18 today and doing well. I even decided not to quit in a week when I ran out of shots. I decided to go ahead and get more hCG to continue to day 40, though I may go to 46. I've read that people can do up to 50, some even 60 days, before needing to stop to prevent the immunity from happening. I cannot believe I'm doing this for even longer, but I think my weight loss thus far is motivation to keep it up. Plus, I am worried about maintenance. I think I need more time to read about it before having it thrust on me. These past almost three weeks have really taught me a lot about food, so adding in another 1000 or so calories once I hit maintenance is going to be difficult in a sense. :/

I am excited to keep going.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 AM

How the heck is this even possible? I am only on VLCD 5 today. Started at 172.6 after loading. VLCD 2: 169.6 (-3lb) VLCD 3 168.6 (-1lb) VLCD 4 168.0
(-.6) VLCD 5 168.4 (+.4).

WTF?? This is NOT EASY and I really can't understand it other than perhaps the hcg is really a crock and my body has now gone into 'starvation' mode.

I have stuck religiously to this program. Any other explanations you can offer?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 AM

I've been up a couple of days (doing injection here). I increase water for the next day and always lose more than I gain the next morning. Also, have you had a BM since loading? I had to do smooth move tea several times and notice a large drop after that. Where are you in your cycle? I typically gain 5lbs in the week before AF.

That said, if you want to weigh again, don't eat or drink anything and try again in an hour. It sometimes makes a difference (2 lbs for my DH).

Oh! And how are you counting calories? I was just doing the list of allowed foods and decided to actually track calories. I shocked to find out that if you eat all the allowed food for a day, there is a good chance you are over 500 calories. Spices also have more calories than you think, especially cinnamon.

I started eating both meats, one fruit and one veggie to be sure I was under the calorie count. Oranges, tomatoes, and onions can cause some people issues, too so you might try cutting back on those.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM

You gained only .4 of a pound though. some mornings i would pee and weigh myself and then realized i needed to pee again. I would go down another .5 of a lb sometimes. And for me if i wasn't getting a bm i would stall a bit. I drank around 2 gallons of water a day and lost a lot of weight in the first week and i think it was a huge help. Also try to start thinking more positively. It sounds like your mental self talk is all about this isn't really going to work. It will work, you are already down nearly 4-5lbs in 5 days! How awesome is that? Relax, keep doing it. I stalled out for 3 days in the second week and I did an apple day. I lost 2lbs. There is water weight to account for I don't know about you but ovulation and my moon cycle cause me to gain and lose a few lbs. It will get better.

I'm actually down another pound. I have to admit that I just can't eat as much food anymore and anything with sugars or carbs just is no longer appealing.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
ct doula--hang in there!! I am on day 4 and it has been so much easier than the first 2 days! I think your body gets used to it and the hcg kicks in after a few VERY tough days.

Me, too. It's LOTS easier now (I'm on VLCD5) than it was in the first couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Days 1-3 can be super tough.
Yep. Which surprised me, as I thought loading was for taking care of that but I'm past the first 2 days, and I did it, and as I said, it's loads easier now. I'm also feeling that "how am I going to add more calories in P3"!!

Quote:
WTF?? This is NOT EASY and I really can't understand it other than perhaps the hcg is really a crock and my body has now gone into 'starvation' mode.
I'm glad I was told to possibly expect stalls and even gains. It's only 0.4 so don't be too discouraged. I'm also the same as you, feeling very dubious still.

I'm also on VLCD5. I lost 0.6 from yesterday and if you look at my stats, the losses, while steady, have lessened considerably. Which scares me-- but I'm going to keep on keeping on.

I'm at 179.4 today. When I get below 178 I will believe. I haven't been below that in 7+ years.

So hang in there, mama I'll hang in there with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
Also, have you had a BM since loading? I had to do smooth move tea several times and notice a large drop after that.
Yeah, I was going to post about that-- do most of you have different elimination patterns since you started this protocol?
Not to be too...you know, TMI, but as we're all mamas, and we all know that our 1st half year of being mamas is about discussing baby poop-- because we know that poop quality/quantity is an indicator of health--
That said, my poop has been really different. Before protocol, I was an every day several times a day gal. And loose.
On loading it was worse, almost like diarrhea, but really gross and smelly, to the point of pain almost.
Now I just realized I'm hardly going at all, but I don't feel constipated or bloated.
Today I had the closest thing to a normal (for me) BM in 5 days. It was kind of between before-protocol and loading-days quality.

Should I try a laxative, do you think? I'm not feeling bloated. Well, I didn't think I was-- I normally wear stretchy pants so I wouldn't notice if I were, not the same as if I was wearing jeans.
Yesterday I tried to put on some jeans that I bought, and fit nicely in, when I hit 180 before this protocol (and before I put back on 5lbs). I was at 180 yesterday. But the jeans, I could barely get them on. Is that weird or what?

Sorry for the TMI

Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am going to stick to it, and see what happens in the next few days. I haven't really been doing as much water as I should, so I will definitely up that today, and cross my fingers...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:20 PM

i am on VLCD3 and injection5. the first day i was starving- it was so hard! yesterday was better but i drank way wayyy too much coffee and at 10pm i was lying in bed wide awake and starving! i got up and had some chamomile tea and fell asleep eventually. so today no coffee after 10am. but... my weight today was 218! thats 4 lbs since yesterday and 7.6 since monday! wowza! i know i cant expect this to keep up but i wish it would!!! i feel a little bit thinner in my midsection also! its awesome!

in the mornings i feel so good about this diet. in the afternoons im ready to quit out of hunger! im hoping today is different.

i already cheated today. cute boy at work just brought me a little fruit salad he made of strawberries, peaches and grapes. it wasn't a lot but not all on protocal. so i'm going to skip one melba and my second fruit to make up for it. i just couldn't resist (him not the food!).

Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Today has been a better day. Hungry, empty, but not starving to death. I was up in the night listening to my belly rumble, LOL.

I was down 4lbs today, -.4 from my pre-load weight.

Question, is it okay to have 2 of the same fruits in a day? I just went & got the most delicious, crispy, huge apples & just want to eat them all, LOL.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM

I've never had a problem with that. I eat duplicate meals every day.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Question, is it okay to have 2 of the same fruits in a day? I just went & got the most delicious, crispy, huge apples & just want to eat them all, LOL.
I eat duplicate meals QUITE often, nearly daily. I've read some people say to not do that, but I've never had an issue with losing.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Glad to hear I can eat 2 apples, LOL. They're calling my name.

Down 1.4 today (total of 1.8 from pre-load, 5.8 from peak loading day). That was pre-BM (IYKWIM) and I'm feeling like I need to do something to get things moving along, so to speak. Suggestions?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM

VLCD5 179.4 (-0.6)
VLCD6 178.6 (-0.8)

Not big losses, but I'm pretty dang happy
I haven't been lower than a steady 180-185 since last year at this time. I lost about 15lbs in October-November last year, and I'd been at like 194-197 for years before that, after hovering above 203-ish for years before that.

So I'm good 6lbs in less than a week? Oh yeah, I'm good

Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM

ct-doula, natural calm avalable at any natural foods store typically. I must be the only one that has loose stools with this diet.

Nice job Maia!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Yay! I lost today. Definitely going to stick with this.

VLCD1: 172.6
VLCD2: 169.6 (-3.0lb)
VLCD3: 168.6 (-1.0lb)
VLCD4: 168.0 (-0.6lb)
VLCD5: 168.4 (+0.4lb)
VLCD6: 166.8 (-1.6lb)

I am using naturalcalm, too. 1tsp seems to work well for me!
Congrats Maiasaura and CTdoula.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM

Wanted to also share that for dinner last night I baked cod with some canned diced tomatoes w/basil (about 1/2c?) and a bunch of grape tomatoes, which baked up really sweet and browned on top. It was really yummy. That's definitely a keeper.

Tags
Hcg Diet 800 Calorie Protocol Second Edition , Weight Loss Apocalypse Emotional Eating Rehab Through The Hcg Protocol Hardcover , Eat Pray Hcg Lose Weight Fast On The Hcg Protocol And Keep It Off By Gaining Peace Of Mind , Health Healing
User Tag List