HCG diet SUPPORT thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who are doing the hcg diet/protocol or who are seriously considering doing so.

Let's share our progress, our challenges, our strategies.

Let's answer questions of those considering.

Let's get healthier together.

(There is another thread 'hcg diet' for discussion of whether or not one should even try this...please take those types of comments over there. )

I'm Mary, 45 yo homeschooling mama to three lovelies.

I'm on Loading day #2, homeopathic hcg drops day #2 -- I start the very low calorie diet (VLCD) tomorrow.

First thing I'd say is if anyone is considering this protocol, read Pounds and Inches. It is PDF of the book that the creator of the diet Dr. Simeons wrote. It tells you everything about the protocol.

Maryhippie.gif

#2 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to a free PDF of

POUNDS AND INCHES

Maryhippie.gif

#3 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM

Congratulations on your choice and I look forward to hearing all about your exciting journey.
#4 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I will be following along and cheering for you. .

Hope to start the protocol once dd2 is older.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#5 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
went from a size 22 to a loose 16 since april 16. about 60 lbs gone. i'm cycling so i do 26 days vlcd then 10 days low carb then back on vlcd. i do this to avoid immunity and lengthy time between rounds. im just endng cycle 3 of vlcd and will start cycle 4 august 2. i do injections of 125ius
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
went from a size 22 to a loose 16 since april 16. about 60 lbs gone. i'm cycling so i do 26 days vlcd then 10 days low carb then back on vlcd. i do this to avoid immunity and lengthy time between rounds. im just endng cycle 3 of vlcd and will start cycle 4 august 2. i do injections of 125ius
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome!!

I LOVE hearing how well it has worked for you!
The cycling sounds like a great idea.
Since I'm doing homeopathic drops it is unclear whether there is even the issue of hitting an immunity. But I've heard that some need to cycle to phase 3 for a while just because they need a mental break from the VLCD.

I'll just have to see how it goes for me.

Tomorrow I START the VLCD protocol.

Maryhippie.gif

#7 of 1918 Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 PM

yeah i really look forward to p3 although i love p2 a break is nice
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 1918 Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 AM

no immunity issues with the homeopathic. In fact, many suggest there are none with the other forms either since it's being produced with such high quality right now. IT was different back in Dr. S's day. However, since losses are always better in the beginning of the round, cycling is a great way to approach it.
#9 of 1918 Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM

I'm starting loading today. Sadly, I loaded yesterday and then realized you were supposed to take the drops while you load. Whoops! I guess I skimmed past that part when I read P&I.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#10 of 1918 Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
no immunity issues with the homeopathic. In fact, many suggest there are none with the other forms either since it's being produced with such high quality right now. IT was different back in Dr. S's day. However, since losses are always better in the beginning of the round, cycling is a great way to approach it.
Thanks for posting that. I was wondering about the changes to the hcg since his time. I imagine that cycling is also helpful for planning around 'life stuff' like weddings and vacations. It is nice that way, IMHO, because this should be empowering not a jail sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
I'm starting loading today. Sadly, I loaded yesterday and then realized you were supposed to take the drops while you load. Whoops! I guess I skimmed past that part when I read P&I.
I missed that the first time I read P & I too! I was so surprised by it that the next time I read it I read that passage several times to make sure I had it right.

I finished my 2nd loading day and am now on my first day of the very low calorie diet -- 3rd day of drops. I'm using the EVOKE homeopathic and must say that I love it. I haven't tried any other forms of hcg before, so i cannot compare, but I can say that I know this is effective.

I feel it 'kick in' within a few minutes of taking and the strongest effect lasts for over an hour.

Of course many people are suspicious of homeopathy once they learn the way in which they are produced. But I've been studying and using remedies in my own family for years.

Ok, on to the numbers, after really stuffing myself almost to the point of vomiting for 2 days I gained only 2 pounds. As I well know from the last 2 months, a 2 pound gain is insignificant and can easily be water retention. But I know that I did stuff....I want to give myself the best chance of being successful with this protocol, so I am trying to follow everything to the letter.

I've taken measurements as well, as I have read that sometimes even if you aren't seeing big changes on the scale you can document the ways in which your body is redistributing the fat.

But it won't be until at least tomorrow that I can post anything about progress. Today it's all about getting into a new groove with the food.

Maryhippie.gif

#11 of 1918 Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM

if I could offer one word of advice it would be this: TAKE PICTURES. The scale doesn't adequately reflect what happens, nor do the measurements. You can't, after all, measure everything! You will be amazed at the shift that takes place. The fat not only mobilizes, it redistributes itself. It's something you can't imagine until you've seen it. PICTURES.
#12 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM

I'll join. After the original post, I did the research and have been doing injections for a week today. I've lost 3 lbs from my original weight, a little over 7 lbs from my post load weight. I'm doing injections (they're not so bad, really). To be honest, the diet has been tough for me. Not because I'm hungry, but because the food is just so...blah. I took measurements, too, not sure when I'll take them again. Maybe a month or so?

I was planning on doing the 40 day round, but I may look into cycling. I have about 50-60 pounds to lose.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#13 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
I'll join. After the original post, I did the research and have been doing injections for a week today. I've lost 3 lbs from my original weight, a little over 7 lbs from my post load weight. I'm doing injections (they're not so bad, really). To be honest, the diet has been tough for me. Not because I'm hungry, but because the food is just so...blah. I took measurements, too, not sure when I'll take them again. Maybe a month or so?

I was planning on doing the 40 day round, but I may look into cycling. I have about 50-60 pounds to lose.
Awesome progress!

As for the 'blah'-ness of the food, here's a resource. It's an HCG cookbook written by an HCG-dieter who happens to be a gourmet chef. If you go to the link you can download a sample ebook, which I did. Yesterday I tried out her recipe (included in the sample) for Strawberry Viniagrette dressing to go with my spinach salad and poached chicken breast. It was fantastic and only used a few simple ingredients allowed by the protocol.

Today I'm going to try her Chili recipe (also in the sample book and also using only allowed ingredients.)

I'm considering buying the whole book, which is something like $25.

HTH,

Maryhippie.gif

#14 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

My update.

Yesterday was my first day on the very low calorie diet (VLCD) protocol.

During my two loading days I put on 2 lbs.

During my first day on the VLCD I shed 2.8 lbs.

Now, of course, it won't continue to come off at this rate...it is faster at the beginning of a round...but I'm still celebrating.

I was stuck at a setpoint for over a week before starting the hcg protocol. Now I am 1 pound under that setpoint and there's every reason to anticipate continued success.

For the curious and/or naysayers I just have to say, I am thrilled. I am amazed at the way that this protocol works. I am more hopeful than I've been about getting to a healthy weight and staying there than I've been in my entire adult life.

I am not starving. This is not about starvation or deprivation. I felt a 'fullness' all day yesterday. Yes I was hungry at times, usually while I was preparing a meal. But it was manageable. And I didn't have terrible munchie-cravings all day long.

Maryhippie.gif

#15 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Great job ladies!

I'm on loading day 2. These drops make me so sleepy! I hope that once I stop stuffing my face that it won't do that anymore. I could barely stay up until my kids' bedtime last night. I have to do my grocery shopping today to prepare for tomorrow's meals. I also need to buy a food scale ASAP. I saw they have them on walmart.com. I'm praying they carry them in the store too!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#16 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great job ladies!

I'm on loading day 2. These drops make me so sleepy! I hope that once I stop stuffing my face that it won't do that anymore. I could barely stay up until my kids' bedtime last night. I have to do my grocery shopping today to prepare for tomorrow's meals. I also need to buy a food scale ASAP. I saw they have them on walmart.com. I'm praying they carry them in the store too!
My drops don't make me sleepy...I've not read that as a side effect that anyone has noted. Wonder if it is common?

Loading up on all that fat did make me kinda dopey/groggy...wonder if it is that?

I feel awesome now that I'm on the VLCD days. Just made an awesome, awesome, awesome chili for lunch today. So good I'll make it like that even when I am not on this diet...just eat more of it. (recipe in the ebook cookbook-sampler linked in a post of mine above.)

Maryhippie.gif

#17 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks for starting this thread; the other one was getting a little snarky.

I have lost about 10 lbs but am now having some trouble. I flew out to visit my husband (he travels for work) and thought staying on the protocal would be easy. The last time I stayed with him on the road, we grilled chicken or fish and veggies every night. This time, every company he does work for invites us over for dinner and we have been invited to several outings. None have had food that is okay for me, and I feel rude not eating when these wonderful people have invited us into their homes! Not sure what to do. Stopped taking my HCG last night and trying to get hold of my Dr. How do I handle this? Start back up next week after I return home?

Married to DH 10/06 TTC#1 since 11/08
#18 of 1918 Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagrl View Post
Thanks for starting this thread; the other one was getting a little snarky.

I have lost about 10 lbs but am now having some trouble. I flew out to visit my husband (he travels for work) and thought staying on the protocal would be easy. The last time I stayed with him on the road, we grilled chicken or fish and veggies every night. This time, every company he does work for invites us over for dinner and we have been invited to several outings. None have had food that is okay for me, and I feel rude not eating when these wonderful people have invited us into their homes! Not sure what to do. Stopped taking my HCG last night and trying to get hold of my Dr. How do I handle this? Start back up next week after I return home?
Snarky. Good word.

I don't have an answer for you. Maybe if you don't get any responses here, or even if you want more info, try the SkinnyMe forum? The ladies there seem to have a good bit of experience with the hcg protocol.

I *think* you'd be wanting to do a 'planned interruption' in that case. Maybe it would be alot like phase 3 where you add in the good fats but still steer clear of sugars and starches?

I was just thinking about what I'll do when the fam wants to eat out. The only thing I can imagine would work is to get salad greens without anything else and eat that and then have my protein when I get back home...

Maryhippie.gif

#19 of 1918 Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

VLCD day 3

morning weigh-in: lost 2 lbs yesterday!

overall weight-loss this round (2 days): 4.8

Maryhippie.gif

#20 of 1918 Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Rock on, Mary! Today is day one of VLCD for me. So far, so good. I'm really looking forward to losing!

#21 of 1918 Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Hmmm. Down today, about a half a pound. I had a two hour ballet class last night and I ate late, so I think that had something to do with it because I've been losing a pound a day or more this week. I'm not worried though, all is good. Woke up starving this morning, though, so may have melba and fruit for "breakfast." Seems easier for me to eliminate dinner than breakfast or lunch...

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#22 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Shed another 1.4 lbs yesterday.

That's 6.2 lbs in 3 days.

Feeling good!

Maryhippie.gif

#23 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 PM

Woot!

I'm down 2.4 lbs!

#24 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Woot!

I'm down 2.4 lbs!

Awesome!

I try not to over-sell the protocol to anyone...as I know it's not for everyone nor is it 'easy' but, all that said:

ISN'T IT AWESOME!!!

Maryhippie.gif

#25 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Dude, I'm having a really hard time with this. I miss cheese. I miss snacks. I miss breakfast. I'm only 10 days in and doing the 40 day protocol is seeming near impossible right now, especially when I have to cook "real" meals for the kids and DH.

#26 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 PM

one of the things that I love is a smoothie. I use frozen strawberries, blueberries, water, fat free powdered milk, cocoa powder and splenda and blend. i can either drink it with a straw of freeze it for awhile then eat it like sorbet.

I dice and cook apples with splenda and cinnamon then cool and eat with cottage cheese.

there is also tons of recipes at happilythinnerafter. i love the macaroon recipe.

#27 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Dude, I'm having a really hard time with this. I miss cheese. I miss snacks. I miss breakfast. I'm only 10 days in and doing the 40 day protocol is seeming near impossible right now, especially when I have to cook "real" meals for the kids and DH.
I still eat breakfast. I just eat an apple that I "borrow" from my lunch. My real struggle is from 10-3. I just want to stuff my face non-stop. So I eat my apple at 10. Once I feel hungry again, I do more drops, wait a half hour, and then start making lunch etc. I eat basically at 10, 1, 3:30, and 6. At 6 I have my melba toast "borrowed" from dinner. I've learned that you can be flexible with the drops, which is nice. I take them at 9:30, 12:30, and 5:30.

Cooking for DH and the kids is tough though. That is probably one of the hardest things for me. I want to lick the ketchup off my kids' spoons. It looks so delicious! Just typing that made my mouth water.

Last night I made meatballs for dinner. I weighed out my beef first and set it off to the side. I made their meatballs and started cooking them on the stove (in bacon grease! ). I made mine and ate before their food was even done. That seemed to help a little. That ketchup though. Oh man. Looked soooo good!

Today we did baked chicken for dinner. I zested a lemon and used the juice to bake them in a casserole dish. The kids actually like chicken so it's not a sacrifice on their part. I just made sure to eat my weighed portion. I love side dishes, but because I had an enormous (3.5 oz) plate of spinach with my homemade dressing I didn't even think about it.

The recipe for the dressing was
strawberries (I used 6)
2 tbsp ACV
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper

I only used 2 tbsp of this because it was pretty flavorful. It was pretty damn amazing!

#28 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That would be tough. Sorry you're having such a tough time of it.

You don't have to skip breakfast. Just use something from lunch...like PP suggests. Take your apple that you'd have alloted for lunch and sprinkle it with cinnamon and bake it. Or something like that.

I can't recommend The HCG Dieters Cookbook (I linked to it in a previous post) enough. Tonight's dinner was her recipe for Cinnamon Chicken and another recipe for Sweet Japanese Cucumber salad. I added my half grapefruit segments to the cuke salad and the melba toast was used in the chicken dish. It was all so good and flavorful.

I adore her recipe for chili and really enjoyed the crunchy chicken salad made with diced apple and diced cukes.

What I love about her book is that she is very creative without going outside the allowed foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
one of the things that I love is a smoothie. I use frozen strawberries, blueberries, water, fat free powdered milk, cocoa powder and splenda and blend. i can either drink it with a straw of freeze it for awhile then eat it like sorbet.

I dice and cook apples with splenda and cinnamon then cool and eat with cottage cheese.

there is also tons of recipes at happilythinnerafter. i love the macaroon recipe.
Yummy.

So glad that is working for you.
I'm curious about using blueberries, cottage cheese and fat free powdered milk though...you haven't had problems with them? I'm only asking since they aren't 'on protocol' and that interests me.

Oh, I guess I should ask if you are on Phase 2....all of that is fine for Phase 3.

Quote:

The recipe for the dressing was
strawberries (I used 6)
2 tbsp ACV
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper

I only used 2 tbsp of this because it was pretty flavorful. It was pretty damn amazing!
I made that same Strawberry Viniagrette the other night. So perfect on spinach! I'm gonna make some tomorrow and dh has asked that I make extgra for him, he liked it that much.

Maryhippie.gif

#29 of 1918 Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM

Okay - mini breakthrough. I bought some hazlenut and orange flavored stevia and now I can make fake Italian sodas. I love that.

I had downloaded the 101 HCG recipes pdf, but nothing I've made so far has really wowed me. Although, I did make some chicken "fajitas" with chicken, some chile-lime seasoning, cumin and lots of black pepper. I grilled in a foil package with a bunch of sliced onions. That was kind of inspired by the recipe, but I doctored it up a lot. I'll have to look at the e-book, it sounds like it might be a lot better than mine...

#30 of 1918 Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 AM

OK, I am cautiously dipping my toes in here. Today was day 1 for me- so drops and fat loading. It did not go so well, by the afternoon I had developed a migraine and wound up falling asleep for several hours to try to escape it. When I woke up I felt better, but there's still a bit of nagging head pain and nausea. I'm not going to blame it on the diet though, as I have been running on empty all week (little sleep, lots of stress). Hopefully I will feel better in the morning. I am meeting a friend at a local French bakery/pastry shop for brunch and am really looking forward to eating whatever looks good there. Fat, here I come!

Anyhoo, is anyone else doing this as a vegetarian? I've been veg for about 13 years now. I have about 50-60lbs to lose and am hoping that the vegetarian protein subs won't hamper the results too much. I'll be using eggs, lowfat cottage cheese, and brown rice protein powder.

Looking forward to reading other people's posts on their journey. Can't wait to post after day 3 or 4 when I have lost a few pounds.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Tags
Hcg Diet 800 Calorie Protocol Second Edition , Weight Loss Apocalypse Emotional Eating Rehab Through The Hcg Protocol Hardcover , Eat Pray Hcg Lose Weight Fast On The Hcg Protocol And Keep It Off By Gaining Peace Of Mind , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page