South Beach Diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i officially started it today. i cannot cannot keep going like this anymore, gaining and gaining weight and looking like a freaking mountain... my dr recommended south beach, she said the only thing in there she doesnt like is their use of sugar substitutes, such as aspartame, succharose, etc... i dont use those anyway, so im not gonna be using them at all on this diet too.
so has anyone tried it? any luck?
i was thinking of using stevia as a sweetener for the times ill really really want sth sweet. i know it has aftertaste, but its better than aspartame.
anyway, wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 PM

I am not specifically familiar with it but I have heard good things about it. I agree with you on the stevia instead of chemicals.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

SBD is what got my entire family (of origin) to a healthy weight. It is the ONE diet that worked for me. I lost 40-50 lbs in less than a year easily. It really helps reset your ideas of food and what tastes good and becomes a real "way of eating"-- especially is you find healthy treats instead of the artificial stuff (which I can't stand anymore-- altho I did use the jello during the first weeks while I was on vacation and everyone was eating dessert ). I remember it being hard early on, trying some healthy foods that I still don't like-- but then you find what you DO love, and get very used to it all. Reading the book/research on what junk white sugar/carbs are really helped, too. You can do it!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
SBD is what got my entire family (of origin) to a healthy weight. It is the ONE diet that worked for me. I lost 40-50 lbs in less than a year easily. It really helps reset your ideas of food and what tastes good and becomes a real "way of eating"-- especially is you find healthy treats instead of the artificial stuff (which I can't stand anymore-- altho I did use the jello during the first weeks while I was on vacation and everyone was eating dessert ). I remember it being hard early on, trying some healthy foods that I still don't like-- but then you find what you DO love, and get very used to it all. Reading the book/research on what junk white sugar/carbs are really helped, too. You can do it!!!
thanks!!! i read all the success stories in the book... but thats in the book, who knows if someone just made that up?
and oh, yesterday i threw away a piece of cake - probably for the first time in my life!!!! my mil stopped by and brought it for me, and i thanked her and then when she was gone, i just threw it... its little thing, yes, but i am proud of myself...
Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 AM

SB is what helped me shed the last of my pregnancy weight after my first was born. I've been trying to get back on it because I know it works, but I'm having a hard time since I have three other people to cook for now!

I use stevia, too. So much better than the artificial crud!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkprincess View Post
SB is what helped me shed the last of my pregnancy weight after my first was born. I've been trying to get back on it because I know it works, but I'm having a hard time since I have three other people to cook for now!

I use stevia, too. So much better than the artificial crud!
See, my husband just will have to eat what I eat, and it's healthy stuff anyway. And I still bought fruit for him and other stuff that he can eat and i can't .... I thought it will help me because it's a "plan" and not just "oh just eT less sugar" ...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNova View Post
See, my husband just will have to eat what I eat, and it's healthy stuff anyway. And I still bought fruit for him and other stuff that he can eat and i can't .... I thought it will help me because it's a "plan" and not just "oh just eT less sugar" ...
That's exactly what we did the first time around. Now it's harder because I have two kiddos to cook for, too. I don't like cooking as it is and doing SB means that I have to cook TWO meals. I do fine for breakfast and lunch but dinners are killing me!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM

I did SB for a little while and found it was really easy to eat and lose weight. Also, I did a lot of meals that were meat and veggies over pasta or rice -- it worked great for feeding the kids -- they mostly want the pasta or rice anyway, and I'd eat my meat/veg w/out the pasta or rice.

Or think mexican wrap type meals, but just don't wrap yours or add rice to yours.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 AM

How's it going? Today is phase 1, day 1 for me, for the third time in 6 months...!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 PM

I know this is an old thread, but is anybody still doing SBD? Today was day 1 for me.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 AM

SBD is how I eat all the time. Well, except for the artificial sweeteners.
By SBD I mean South Beach Diet, Not Silent But Deadly as my 13 year old son would interpret it!
Love it. I eat plenty of protein, heaps of veggies, almost no grains ( crusty baguette once a week) and I drink my fair share of wine...as much as I want between Friday and Saturday...usually 2 glasses each night.
This, combined with LOTS of exercise is the only way I can lose weight..15 pounds over the summer.
Gotta have the exercise though...1 hour 6 or 7 times a week.
Check out Mark's Daily Apple. Not SBD but Primal..very similar.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:18 PM

I've been doing the South Beach diet for a little over a month and have lost 17 pounds so far. I have an injured knee so I haven't been able to exercise like I had planned, but it is still working. I've tried all sorts of diets over the last 20 years and this is the first diet where I actually feel satisfied after I eat, and I'm not constantly thinking about food all day. I love it and wish I had discovered it years ago. I think this kind of eating could become a lifestyle for me rather than a diet. I've heard that cliche so many times before, but now I finally understand it.

I have about 150 pounds to lose, so I can't follow the diet exactly as it is laid out in the book. It is too few calories for someone my size. So I just use the food lists as guides and eat as much of those foods as I want. So far, so good!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
I've been doing the South Beach diet for a little over a month and have lost 17 pounds so far. I have an injured knee so I haven't been able to exercise like I had planned, but it is still working.
Wow! Awesome results!
Do what you can for exercise. It doesn't have to be something that bothers your knee. I highly recommend weight training. And I mean heavy weights. But start slow with that.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation

User Tag List