Weight Watchers--August 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 135 Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here's the new thread.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 135 Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's August! 2 1/2 more weeks until our first family vacation in 2 years!

Despite planning (& thanks to unplanned indulgances throughout the week) I'm at a -10.5 for my weekly points. That 2 extra margaritas (& late night ice cream ) really tacked it on. Has that ever happened to anyone?

I'm trying not to either beat myself up about it OR tell myself that it's perfectly fine. Given the ridiculous amount of points I'm given for breastfeeding, staying within the range is more than reasonable. I just went totally overboard this week. Tooootally overboard.

Today is a new day - at the same time, damn! Food is clearly a slippery slope with me. I LOVE food! I find myself over indulging over and over and over to the point of having negative points this week! It's mindbending.

Anyway - going to get some walking in & NOT drown my sorrows in chocolate cake The 130's seem soooo far off when I'm not eating right! I wish I could always convince myself that healthy weight makes me happy & oreos don't, but oreos are a pretty strong contendor!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#3 of 135 Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
I wish I could always convince myself that healthy weight makes me happy & oreos don't, but oreos are a pretty strong contendor!
What makes you happy besides Oreos? Are you sad or depressed and eating emotionally?

Emotional eating is my downfall.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 135 Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Hey ladies, I'm on week 10 and down a good bit (30+ lbs)...but have a about 3 times that to go and would love a little extra support!

Carley, I just finished a book that might help. Women, Food and God. It isn't really spiritual per se, except it evaluates our relationship with food, which is very often spiritual...which is why you love oreos so much. The truth is getting to goal weight isn't going to be what makes us happy. We are still going to feel sad, angry, mad, disappointed, whatever it is that keeps us gaining and loosing... This book helps you work on the emotional with you are taking care of the physical through WW.

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#5 of 135 Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am on my second week of doing WW (meetings + online) officially.

My weigh-in weight this Saturday was 139.4. My personal goal is 125, but I haven't made it official by talking to a leader yet. Right now I'm still working on the first 5 lbs.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#6 of 135 Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Carley, emotional eating is tough, and other posters had made good comments.

But what I was surprised to find really hard is trigger foods. Here, you've been pretty good all day. Then your family is having a little pizza. Or oreos. Or ice cream. Or margaritas. So you have a little too. No food is off limits, right?

Well I find that my body is struggling with me a bit. Some foods are trigger foods for me. I eat them, and I swear, they make me MORE hungry! Cruel, cruel irony! Then I can stop eating and feel starving, or over-eat and feel worse. I find it's best to avoid those foods once you recognize it, or manage them carefully.

What my leader says is only put delicious foods in your mouth. That's really great advice. I had an off plan / off tracking day yesterday. But it was generally good. Some great grilled lamb (a small but incredible piece), mashed potatoes (made by me, fatty but not too bad), spinach, and a blackberry crisp (also made by me). Having a home cooked, untracked meal of real food was great. Not too much prep, not too much thought. Yes, I ate too much. But I enjoyed it then stopped. And felt pretty good. It was a great experience, one I should be better about doing every once in a while.

We'll see if I can get right back on track now, and how Wednesday's WI goes.

Good eating, everyone!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#7 of 135 Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
What makes you happy besides Oreos? Are you sad or depressed and eating emotionally?

Emotional eating is my downfall.
I totally eat when I'm stressed... it's like a drug! Lately my preschooler has been driving me BONKERS (if I didn't know better, I'd swear she was a tween) and my babe is Fussy McFusserson. Food is definitely love right now.

Your question struck me because I have no idea what makes me happy. I still feel very much in the fog of baby. I can't even get into this right now because I'm in a HUGE funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by madiesmommy View Post

Carley, I just finished a book that might help. Women, Food and God. It isn't really spiritual per se, except it evaluates our relationship with food, which is very often spiritual...which is why you love oreos so much. The truth is getting to goal weight isn't going to be what makes us happy. We are still going to feel sad, angry, mad, disappointed, whatever it is that keeps us gaining and loosing... This book helps you work on the emotional with you are taking care of the physical through WW.
I'm DEFINITELY putting that in my library queue. In the height of my eating disorder I was a buck-oh-four I was still incredibly depressed and unsatisfied with my weight. It's not the weight that I think will make me happy, but I feel good when I'm eating well and am not so full after a meal that I just want to go to sleep, and I definitely feel good when I am at a healthy weight. On the other hand I definitely feel good eating a peice of cake. Striking a balance is hard for me.

Down 1lb since last week - 140 this morning! That's a 6lb loss since I began WW on June 28

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#8 of 135 Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
Well I find that my body is struggling with me a bit. Some foods are trigger foods for me. I eat them, and I swear, they make me MORE hungry! Cruel, cruel irony! Then I can stop eating and feel starving, or over-eat and feel worse. I find it's best to avoid those foods once you recognize it, or manage them carefully.
YES! This is exactly how it is. I heard something about "super tasters" a while ago on NPR. If that exists, I'm certainly one of them!

#9 of 135 Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM

Went to my second meeting today,in less than a week,and lost 3 pounds!I'm so happy!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#10 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Your question struck me because I have no idea what makes me happy. I still feel very much in the fog of baby. I can't even get into this right now because I'm in a HUGE funk
do you exercise? Do you go take your kids to a Mother's day out? Do you live your kids with your dh and go out with your friends?

Do you need to see a counselor?

Being successful with WW will not cure depression.

Quote:
Down 1lb since last week - 140 this morning! That's a 6lb loss since I began WW on June 28
how tall are you and what is your goal weight? You really don't weigh much right now.

#11 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
do you exercise? Do you go take your kids to a Mother's day out? Do you live your kids with your dh and go out with your friends?

Do you need to see a counselor?

Being successful with WW will not cure depression.

how tall are you and what is your goal weight? You really don't weigh much right now.
Linda I don't mean for this to sound snappish, but I thought it was normal for a 4 month sleep deprived mamma of a teething infant and a 4 year old who's on Summer break from preschool to be in a a funk. I'm aware that WW (or any "diet" or weight) wont solve it.

Yes, we get out every darn day. If I didn't I'd definitely need a counselor

I get in the exercise I can - 1 hour a day of either walking or yoga, and I leave my kids for that time. I take whatever time I can for myself.

I'm 5'5 & my goal/prepregnancy weight is 130. 140 is the high end of "healthy weight" on the BMI scale. 4 months postpartum I'm 140, 10lbs above my prepregnancy weight. I've lost 6lbs in 5 weeks eating all of my breastfeeding & weekly points plus the aforementioned week of negative weeklies (& overnight with DH) ETA AND Oreos. I think that's pretty reasonable.

#12 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I posted on the last thread that I've been lifetime for a couple months. We recently had 2 birthdays and an out of town trip in a week. I put on 5 pounds.

I'm miserable about it. I love to eat and the foods I love to eat tend to be high quality sweets. So, all the work I did to lose that weight and in a week I undid it. I'm so annoyed with myself. I feel fat. My son told me, "You have a fat stomach." I don't look near as good as I did before my binge. When I first gain weight it all goes to my stomach. I have a 5 pound stomach these days.

I am so not into wanting to do the work of losing the weight.

I've been dabbling in points the last few days. Yesterday I actually stayed within my losing weight points. Today I'm going to try and stay on track again.

I guess the upside of this is I've never watched myself gain weight so closely. It really shocked me that I was able to put on 5 pounds in a week. Maybe that will help stop me when I get to a future chance to binge so badly.

I wake up feeling full. I'm not sure what that's about. I'm hoping it's my body's way of saying it wants to lose weight and it's going to help me as long as I cooperate.

At least I caught it early this time instead of waking up one day and seeing I'd gained 15 or 20 pounds.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#13 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldey View Post
Went to my second meeting today,in less than a week,and lost 3 pounds!I'm so happy!
Congratulations!

#14 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM

SundayC, that does suck, to work so hard and now be back at losing. But the birthdays are over and now is the time to do it. Maybe make losing an August project. It may take less time. Tell yourself it's too hot to eat?

Those "last 5 pounds" are too little to stress about. Decide if it's worth it. Which it sounds like it is, definitely! For your feeling better and to have that buffer which you need every once in a while. So just commit, go back to your losing points and knock it out!

Then again I'm much better at giving advice than taking it . . .

Be kind to yourself and good luck!

#15 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
SundayC, that does suck, to work so hard and now be back at losing. But the birthdays are over and now is the time to do it. Maybe make losing an August project. It may take less time. Tell yourself it's too hot to eat?

Those "last 5 pounds" are too little to stress about. Decide if it's worth it. Which it sounds like it is, definitely! For your feeling better and to have that buffer which you need every once in a while. So just commit, go back to your losing points and knock it out!

Then again I'm much better at giving advice than taking it . . .

Be kind to yourself and good luck!
Thanks. Yeah, I'd much rather give advice than need it. Oh well.

#16 of 135 Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Linda I don't mean for this to sound snappish, but I thought it was normal for a 4 month sleep deprived mamma of a teething infant and a 4 year old who's on Summer break from preschool to be in a a funk. I'm aware that WW (or any "diet" or weight) wont solve it.

Quote:
I'm 5'5 & my goal/prepregnancy weight is 130. 140 is the high end of "healthy weight" on the BMI scale. 4 months postpartum I'm 140, 10lbs above my prepregnancy weight. I've lost 6lbs in 5 weeks eating all of my breastfeeding & weekly points plus the aforementioned week of negative weeklies (& overnight with DH) ETA AND Oreos. I think that's pretty reasonable.
Your healthy weight range is 120 - 150, so you are already in your healthy range. It sounds like your best weight is 130, and it's totally reasonable to want to get back there, but why do you beat your self up so much? You obviously take really good care of yourself, and did so while you were pregnant or you wouldn't be where you are right now?

You are doing really well, with your life, with your kids, with your self care.

But the way to you talk to yourself is destructive. I think you need to give yourself permission to praise yourself and celebrate your accomplishments.

If you have WW book 4, The Habits of Successful Members, I think it would really help you. If you are a meetings member, they have worksheets (which are free) that you can pick up at your next meeting to work on some of these things.

#17 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Just made Lifetime! YEAH!!!!!!

For whatever reason, I was really focused on this, and am really happy.

My plan now is to lose 5 pounds in the next month, of hopefully all fat, and then gain back 3 as muscle. That will make me a little fitter and with a little more of a buffer to stay under goal. Goal = 163, currently 162, would like to be at 160 as my "new normal" weight.

So close, and pretty comfortable with it, although maintenance wasn't easy. Hopefully things will be a little smoother now.

Just thought I'd share.

Have a good OP day everybody!

#18 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Congratulations Gena!!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#19 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Congratulations Gena!!!!

What is your plan for losing fat and then gaining muscle? Are you lifting weights?

#20 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Congratulations Gena!

Share your best tips with us. How did you do it?

#21 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Well, my plan for losing fat is just WW. Try to keep my walking most days and a few push-ups and other exercises to try and prevent any weight loss from being muscle loss.

Then, when life gets more predictable and my twins start preschool five mornings a week (August 30, blessed day!) I have planned my day so that I can get on the rowing machine every morning. I will try to defend that time, I want and need it so badly and just can't fit it in right now.

Rowing hard, with some intervals, and eating activity points and maintenance points as lean protein is my plan for gaining muscle. With some lunch time brisk walks and a strength exercises too.

A few weeks ago I was rowing really consistantly, but I just wasn't eating enough to keep up and improve. Or sleeping enough. It just wasn't working. Having gone through that makes me think trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time is near impossible. Some people agree, some don't, that was my experience. Now I'm trying another way.

The schedule works out for me - no time to row now, so lose fat. Then when I have more time for exercise - add protein and hopefully muscle.

We'll see how it works out!

#22 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM

I've gotten to the end of the day and I have 12 points left. I haven't been very hungry today and I'm just getting back to normal after a long induction where I was with a client for 2-3 days and didn't eat very much.

Do I make the effort to the rest of my points for today? Just let it go? It feel silly to try to eat more.

#23 of 135 Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM

I personally would not eat them unless I am hungry. You may find yourself more hungry tomorrow, and it *is* OK to go over a few into your weekly 35. I think eating them for eating sake reinforces bad eating habits in my past and I do not want to eat that way anymore...but this is just my decision. I think WW's official stance is you should eat them because you need to maintain a certian level of calories eaten to be successful.

I'll be honest, the weeks I have a large # of points like that left over, the scale is not always super kind. So eating less than my daily points does not correlate to losing more for me...

#24 of 135 Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 AM

Well, I did end up making it to 22 points today, as a box of Health is Wealth brand Spinach Munchees in the freezer ended up calling my name. So I used my points for the day, no more or less.

#25 of 135 Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I've gotten to the end of the day and I have 12 points left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Well, I did end up making it to 22 points today, as a box of Health is Wealth brand Spinach Munchees in the freezer ended up calling my name. So I used my points for the day, no more or less.
That's so funny!

I agree with not eating when not hungry, but if not using up all your points is a regular problem, you might make a point budget with targets for each meal and make start including some higher point BUT HEALTHY foods, such as more healthy fats, nuts, more fruits instead of all vegies, etc.

The reason to eat all our daily points *most* days is that it keeps our metabolism up and it also keep us from cycles of under eating and then over eating.

I think that when we look at our tracker at the end of the day, it's more useful to think about it as a form of feedback as to what we need to do to make better habits for ourselves rather than seeing it as what we gotta do before now (before bed time) or else we've screwed up.

#26 of 135 Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 AM

I have been doing ww for about 10 weeks now and have lost a total of 14lbs, however I am currently up two from that. My husband is gone and has been gone for 3 weeks for work so in the last few weeks I have gotten very little exercise! Normally I do about an hour of exercise a day 5-6 x a week and have probably only exercised about 6 times in the past 3 weeks due to childcare issues. I am also stressed to the max. I love my kids but being with them day and night with no breaks is driving me bonks and I eat to compensate. I am TOTALLY an emotional eater. I hate myself after I have done it (binged) but when I get hungry (or bored) I literally say inside my head (I don't care anymore, I could care less if I am skinny or fit) then 5 seconds after eating I suddenly care again. I seem to have plateaued at my weight as well. I have been hanging out where I am for about 4 weeks now and I really want to get re-motivated to sticking to the program and getting these last 10 lbs off! Any words of support are very much appreciated!!!!
#27 of 135 Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 PM

lovemore

#28 of 135 Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Lovemore - that is so hard. Days at home with no break and no help, AHHHHH!

Can you get out of the house, with or without your babes? Get away from food and the kitchen! Go to the park or the zoo. After they go to bed do something fun like watching a romantic comedy that your DH would never watch with you.

Distraction, distraction, distraction!

Also, make yourself get your GHG in, and write everything down, even if you're over your DP.

If you're really organized and good, you could decide what you'll eat ahead of time. And OP daily menu. Then there's nothing to think about. Eat on your menu, and then focus on other things.

So hard to break the binging cycle! We're with you!

#29 of 135 Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 AM

Thanks all for the support! Hubby comes home tomorrow and I am eating better starting tomorrow and back on exercise come Saturday.
#30 of 135 Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Weigh-in day for me tomorrow. A little nervous, and hoping to see downward scale movement.

Does anyone else weigh-in on Saturday?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page