Does anyone make fitness a family affair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I enjoy exercising independently, but I also find that I love to be active with DH. DH and I love to go on walks together in warm weather and we're considering investing in snowshoes so we can still walk in the winter months. Aside from that, I'm thinking we can do some abs work or general toning together. I'm interested in contradances, but don't have regular childcare. I know that fitness has to be fun.

What are some ways that you stay fit as a couple and/or a family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We each have our own interest here soccer vs endurance running, lacrosse vs swimming. He is a team sports guy and I seem to gravitate towards solo endeavors though I do enjoy a good group run or running partner. We do both lift weights and are using similar plans. Family hikes or bike rides are good. I would really enjoy a dance class with him but I am not holding my breath.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#3 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM

As a family we walk and bike (road and rail trail). Sometimes the kids like to lift free weights with me or do some ab work. DH and I run together, bike (cross country), play tennis and swim. We are thinking of trying some adventure racing as well.
#4 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just changed the name of this thread to focus on the entire family. For the families who hike and/or bike together, etc., do you meet opposition from your children? Do they enjoy being active as a family? What are your favorite family fitness activities?
#5 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 PM

I wish we could do more together but we do what we can within the constraints of dh's busy schedule. We like to take the kids to the bike park- currently we walk and they ride- although we want to get bikes w/ a trailer for the baby. We go hiking as well. We started taking the kids to the pool also. We try to take turns w/ letting the other one have some solo time. Also, I like to put the kids on an innertube and then paddle them around or hold the baby and crab walk around the kiddie pool. The kids enjoy it all although dd is a slowpoke so we have to have backup for her if it is any distance. Like an extra carrier to carry her when she gets tired. Or on the bike park we let ds ride ahead(it is open and we can see him). I think it is great family time!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 13 Old 08-14-2010, 01:55 AM

Right now we are doing mostly solo stuff, but the kids really like to go hiking with me. Hopefully, family bike rides will be in our future soon (dd1 is learning to ride without training wheels) and we go for walks sometimes in the evenings.

I have also taken the kids out when I run and we all just run around and act silly then walk for a while. I really want to get back to doing this, but it is so hot and humid here that I just keep putting it off...
#7 of 13 Old 08-14-2010, 02:28 AM

We like to go on trails together as a family. Biking around the bay here is fun too, but the kids don't usually last very long. Swimming is another great time for us to hang out as a family. Soccer is another fave here, but sometimes the kids want to just sit on the balls and be little hoarders.
It's great to do share our love of these activites with our children and when they get older and have more endurance we will do even more, but for now we don't get to do much because the kids just can't move very fast LOL. We aren't into snow stuff otherwise skiing would be fun because it's all down hill

For now we mostly like to walk on the beach. The kids do really well with that, but again the get distracted by pretty shells and scary kelp.

I cannot wait to try kayaking with the kids, it looks like a blast.
#8 of 13 Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mostly, we all take different classes at the YMCA, but we do things like go for walks together.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#9 of 13 Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied! Bicycling is something we are very interested in doing in the future. We have to get bikes first. LOL. Hiking is another fun fitness activity.
#10 of 13 Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Mostly, we all take different classes at the YMCA, but we do things like go for walks together.
Are the classes all at the same time?
#11 of 13 Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM

ds (3) has a glide bike...ia can bike with dd in the trailer or jog with the stroller.

Yesturday dh and I took turns pushing the 2 kiddos in the jogging stroller for 5km Terry Fox run.

ds got out and jogged a few times too
ds likes to do pushup etc when dad does p90x

it is really tough though because there are more days that the kids don't cooperate
since dd learned to walk...she is not much for staying still for too long

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#12 of 13 Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM

We have 4 kids and really like to be active together. Ours are 9, 7, 5, and 3. Dh and I both love to run, so we put the younger two in the jogger and the bigger two on bikes and we run. They do pretty well and on the way home we generally hit up the park for some hardcore family play time

We also bike (with the younger two in the trailer). We like to take the trails down to the river valley and back up again....a challenge for the kids but they enjoy it! We also hike and walk a lot.

Dh and I also would like some more dedicated work out time, but our schedule doesn't allow for much more than we do now. We just joined a running club, but it isn't for kids so we need childcare. Also, dh will work out at the gym across from his work on his lunch hour and I am going to take a yoga class twice a week while my youngest is in preschool (since all the others are in school too).

We both love being active together and as a family. It is a great way to spend time together

#13 of 13 Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM

update: We now all have bikes and a trailer and it has been great! DS has also started riding w/out training wheels. We have been getting to the bike park about 1x a week and having a wonderful time and good workout! Hauling the kids in the trailer(the 2 youngest) up those big hills is brutal. We had a big time as well this weekend hiking. We would like to take one long hiking trip a month but it doesn't always work out that way.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page