What motivates you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More motivation! I weighed myself for the first time since going on my low carb diet and exercising and I've lost 8lbs in 5 weeks!! 2lbs away from my goal weight, but I think I'm going to try for another 5lbs to 10lbs!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
More motivation! I weighed myself for the first time since going on my low carb diet and exercising and I've lost 8lbs in 5 weeks!! 2lbs away from my goal weight, but I think I'm going to try for another 5lbs to 10lbs!!
INCREDIBLE!!!!

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 08-23-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is a WONDERFUL thread!

I'm so tired of being tired, being stiff and inflexible, of having no endurance. I'm the youngest of my siblings, by several years. They're all in better shape than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.naomisandoval View Post
Just thought of more:
  • The fact that something like 2/3 of adults and 1/3 of kids are overweight and I was one of them for more than just a few months the first time in my life
  • Belly fat = cortisol = cause of cancer - SCARY! This was my wakeup call!
Absolutely. My mother died of lung cancer three short years ago. It was horrible for her when she was in decline. This was pretty much the proverbial wake up call I needed. I've never smoked but what do I do that can possibly cause cancer? Eat too much. Too much meat, too much refined foods, not enough fiber and plants. I don't move enough. I suspect I'm danger of colon cancer, breast cancer, just cancer in general. I have so much control over this part of the equation, and it would be such a shame if I didn't do anything about it.

My father has osteoporosis (yes, men most certainly suffer from it) and it has totally warped his body. He used to be more than six feet tall, he's probably 5' 3", and his back is severely hunched now. He's had a compression fracture in his spine twice in the past two years.

I do NOT want to look like that and be that fragile when I'm his age. And he's 87 years old and still has his wits. He's a smart man stuck inside a fragile body. Calcium supplements will only help so much. The best insurance is strong muscles and exercise that hardens those bones.

- I want to feel better and be stronger.

- I don't want to get cancer.

- I don't want to get osteoporosis.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.naomisandoval View Post
INCREDIBLE!!!!
Thanks, mama. I'm beyond siked and motivated now!!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to feel better about how I look. When I'm in the low-mid 120s, I'm happier with my shape.

I enjoy exercising because it gives me time to myself.

I don't enjoy cutting back on sweets, but I do it to lose weight.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 PM
lab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love my body! That is what motivates me.

I love the way I look - I love the way I feel - I love the way other people respond and react to me.....

I'm healthy!!!

Also - I am a MUCH better parent when I work out every day. Less frustration. And let's face - I have three teenagers - I need less frustration!!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 AM

I wasn't sure of what was motivating me, other than feeling healthy & strong & powerful all the time now that I'm fit.

Then I did a race last Friday night & won....the first athletic thing I've ever won in my whole entire life. It took me 38 yrs to accomplish this and I never want to be "out of shape" again. Getting to this point and accomplishing something tangible with my fitness, it is such a wonderful feeling
Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenEMT View Post
I wasn't sure of what was motivating me, other than feeling healthy & strong & powerful all the time now that I'm fit.

Then I did a race last Friday night & won....the first athletic thing I've ever won in my whole entire life. It took me 38 yrs to accomplish this and I never want to be "out of shape" again. Getting to this point and accomplishing something tangible with my fitness, it is such a wonderful feeling
That is way beyond awesome, mama!! Good for you!!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
Or, in other words: "I the endorphin high".
I do too! It's a great thing to be addicted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Honestly? I'm vain.

But I also love the side effects:
-I sleep better
-I NEED that hour of ME TIME
-I like being able to lift stuff when I need to
-The health benefits rock

I think the biggest thing is the sleep issue. On days I don't work out I do not sleep as well.
Me too! I lifted heavy yesterday and slept like a stone last night.

Honestly what motivates me is mirrors or windows or black computer screens, really anything I can check myself out in! Who me, vain? Seriously though when you set aside time every day to work out it is nice to see the results. I put a mirror over my stove in the kitchen, I'm in there cooking a lot. So now I get to check out my upper body when I'm in there. I have been rocking the heavy weights lately so it's nice to see the sweep of my shoulder or my improving back muscles. Yes I'll stop and flex for the mirror! Why not?

Having my DH comment on how sexy everything is helps too. And having friends comment on how great I look especially after 2 kids feels great.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM

My motivation... feeling good. I was heavy all my life. I have lost 147lbs and kept it off for 7 years now! If I am not interested in working out I am sure to at least walk 1/2 hour to an hour a day and that helps keep me in check.

'09   
Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post
My motivation... feeling good. I was heavy all my life. I have lost 147lbs and kept it off for 7 years now! If I am not interested in working out I am sure to at least walk 1/2 hour to an hour a day and that helps keep me in check.
That is a truly amazing accomplishment! Way to go!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 AM

Reading this thread has certainly motivated me!
\
Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Surprisingly, the soreness of my muscles has motivated me to continue working hard.... How ironic--that's what kept me from working out for the longest time.

I'd love support------>
Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 AM

I'm going to be 40 soon and gained about 20 pounds during the last ten years. I used to think that I had a great body and I want it back!

I want to remain flexible and feel more power in my being from being in shape.

I need to buy new clothes and I want a size 8 instead of a size 10 or 12.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicam View Post
Surprisingly, the soreness of my muscles has motivated me to continue working hard.... How ironic--that's what kept me from working out for the longest time.
When I first started my marathon training 4 months ago, I honestly thought I had a hairline fracture in my pelvis- that's how sore I was! I was in horrible pain for days and days after I first started... so many people stop becuase of the soreness. GOOD FOR YOU for sticking with it!!!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Honestly.....this motivation thing is really difficult....unless ur mind is totally focused on wat u want to achieve.

May be you could set up certain goals to do in ur day......and go about that slowly....till it becomes a habit

I am a mother of three children.  Two sons:  R - 03/09/96, W - 27/12/98 and one daughter:  M - 15/05/06
Weight Loss and Metabolism Mentor
Old 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettercare View Post
Honestly.....this motivation thing is really difficult....unless ur mind is totally focused on wat u want to achieve.

May be you could set up certain goals to do in ur day......and go about that slowly....till it becomes a habit
Nah! Get belief. As in, it can be done! You can make the changes you want. And it's not as hard as you think. I looked at a lot of before and after photos and it's great that they look like regular people. I was flailing for so long and then it all came together and I got amazing results within a shorter amount of time, which is so satisfying and motivational. Know you can do it. Because others have. We're just people. And it takes hard work but not so very much of it. 3 hours a week will make a huge difference. Diet is key. That's the whole story.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Bumping this thread because it's awesome!!! 

I've been lacking motivation lately and this thread has really made me feel like I want to get out there and do something.  Anything.  Just move!!!  I've been eating well and dropped a few pounds and I feel pretty good about that, but it doesn't really mean much if I'm doing next to no physical activity!  So for anyone else out there needing a boost to get your booty moving, here's a great thread.  :)

Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks for bumping this!! I needed the motivation!

I did a fast 3 weeks ago and have been eating really healthy and working out trying to get back into shape....then.... my in-laws came to visit! And all the things I DON'T buy came flooding into the house; cake, brownies, ice cream, chocolate, pizza ahhh! and chips and there goes what was going to be my waistline!!!!! LOL

I have been toeing size 8-10 for a year now. Now that I'm not breastfeeding it is SO hard to loose weight. Thanks for the motivation................. I need to find a workout I enjoy.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM

I am just coming out of a deep depression(think it may have in part been caused by my synthroid dosage being off:-P), and a few weeks ago I just felt so tired of being tired and depressed and fat around the middle. I woke up one Sunday morning and decided to take my daughters mp3 player and go for a run. Well, I ran/walked/ran for about an hour and a half, and it was wonderful and awful. Mostly i could feel it wake me up and remind me that I am still alive and there is still fire in me. I was pretending I was my own coach, like I was running in front of me yelling 'keep going, go a little farther, you can do it! Wheres the fire...' that sort of thing. So my motivation is staying awake. I haven't been running every day, as it hurts my shins:-P But I have been jogging off and on, and trying to make a point of at walking whenever I get some free time(maybe 4-5 times a week) and I do the sunsalutation every morning. I've also been watching what I eat. I know that NOW is the time to make changes. I dont want to wait. I feel ok about my body right now, but I weigh more than I ever have. I'd like to lose, maybe 20 pounds to start. I'm trying to make little changes that I can stick to and build on. Music motivates me. I love walking/running/biking while listening to music. Suddenly im not exercising anymore, im performing in my own music video, lol!

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Yup, I exercise to combat depression.  Working out is an easy choice right now because I know I will feel so much worse if I don't.

and then when we get to the ocean
we're gonna take a boat to the end of the world

User Tag List