Couch to 5K new running group - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm posting here and in Dingos.

HELP! THE COUCH IS CALLING MY NAME! I just did W2D2, and it was surprisingly hard. I'm feeling discouraged. I probably killed myself by doing the first run too fast (5.5 mph instead of my normal 5.0) but looking at W3 scared me and made me think that upping the speed would make it easier to slow down and do the longer runs.

So, who wants to hook me in and keep me on the wagon? I have to say... that couch is looking awfully comfortable.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Dont give up!! Slow down! Increasing your speed can come much later, but taking it easy and slower is def the way to go for this program. Also, as Bec pointed out earlier, it increases your risk of injury...you'll feel much better and it'll be much easier if you slow it down. Who cares if your running pace is the same as your walking pace? you're still running! When a day is difficult for me I just repeat it, I'm in no hurry and it feels much better that way. I bet if you do d2 again at your normal 5.0 speed you will find it easy and will maybe feel fine to move up to w3 or do w2d3 first. Go with your body and what feels right (if it's the couch, maybe you do just need a couple days rest-just don't let it turn into more than that)
You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM

I am pretty slow myself- I am working on increasing my speed some- which I have but I would rather stay in a good pace I keep than being super fast but tiring out. As I said I am getting faster! I know my sprints are much faster and my endurance running is much better as well.

Last night I just did 6-8 sprints- speed wasn't the best as I just didn't have as much in me for some reason! Tomorrow I plan to do a longer interval run.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM

My shins were a bit sore the day after, but I could definitely have run again the next day. My schedule is what is going to kill me trying to get these runs in, I REALLY need to get a treadmill. I try to do a regular exercise video if I cant run just to keep my cardio and muscles working, but I can not forsee any day this week being able to get in a run between my work schedule and my husbands. But I am going to try.

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
bec

Good luck, Corrie!

I should be starting week 5 today, but I have a cold, and am feeling blechy, so I'm going to take a day or two to rest and get better.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 AM

I agree, Don't Give Up!! I just did my first run on Sunday - 2 miles and was elated to complete it. Today I ran 30 minutes for the first time ever. Each little accomplishment just gives me more and more confidence.

I adore actually succeeding at something I failed at for so long. Plus, my kids will not ever hear me say "oh, mommy's just not athletic" - that is a BIG selling point to me. They see me being healthy and exercising and taking care of myself.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:26 AM
bec

It is something of an epiphany and mental whiplash all at the same time realizing you're an athlete. It's an amazing feeling, though!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM

I have always said I am not a runner but I have been thinking I AM a runner. I CAN do this! I may never run a marathon or such, or even more than 5k but I am running!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I have always said I am not a runner but I have been thinking I AM a runner. I CAN do this! I may never run a marathon or such, or even more than 5k but I am running!
I thought that while I was doing the c25k. Lo and behold, a few years later, I got bit by the marathon bug. Once it gets you, there is nothing but 26.2 miles that will cure that!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I thought that while I was doing the c25k. Lo and behold, a few years later, I got bit by the marathon bug. Once it gets you, there is nothing but 26.2 miles that will cure that!
Can't wait for that! I've always had a goal that I will someday run a marathon. I'm working towards my goal and hopefully that someday will be next year . BTW, how are you feeling today?

AFM, I did w6d1 today, the first 5 min and warmup w/vibrams then switched. These vibrams are kickin my calf muscles...I realize what a heel stricker I am now and am trying to focus on running more on the balls of my ft. It's super hard to change your running style (and annoying), but it's worth it if it helps!

Lisa-congrats!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Well I am taking one day at a time and doing what I enjoy- I guess you never know where that will end up. Right now I am enjoying exercising in so many different ways I cannot imagine just focusing on one area too much.

I am naturally a forefront stricker so the vibrams have came pretty easy to me and that is why I think I found them so much easier from the start. I logged a bit of break in time but then Sat I ran in the 20 min pretty much straight and haven't had any pain at all. I was actually expecting it from what I read.

Tonight I am planning a 20-30 min interval run- need to look at the schedule and see what kind of distances/times to do. I want to work on endurance but I will save that for this weekend, I need to build my speed.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post
BTW, how are you feeling today?
Meh. Still feeling yucky. I'm hoping to run tomorrow.

Crunchy_mama - I can't recall if you are returning to running or just starting. I would really recommend not worrying about speed until you have been running steadily for a few months. The speed will come in time!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 PM

I have done some running here and there but never been a "runner" have been doing some lately for the past few months. I was under the impression that the interval runs like C25k improves your speed more (as well as endurance)and are better than just doing a straight through run which is what I feel tempted to do. That is what I meant. I think that makes sense right?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Did a interval run last night from w6d1:

Warmed up for 1/4 mile(walked)
ran 1/2 mile
walked 1/4
ran 3/4(10 mph pace)
walked 1/4
ran 1/2 mile (8mph pace)

That is the first time I have been able to check my pace my speed has certainly increased from where it was! Before I have either ran a set distance or a set time but not together- I had dh measure out 1/4 mile on the road and then time me the last 2 sets. I am a HUGE VFF believer, like I said I am nearly twice as fast as I was w/ less effort.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM

I'm out, at least temporarily. I did something bad to my knee. It was sore, but I thought it was just not used to the impact from running because it was OK enough for my run yesterday. But by last night, my kneecap was off to the side, I can feel the top of my tibia and it's pretty swollen.

So, off to the doctor tomorrow.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
bec

loveneverfails - Yikes! Definitely get that checked out. I hope it is something minor and you heal quickly!

Crunchy_mama - Yes, C25k is, technically, interval training. But, it isn't like true speed work (what you were doing). C25k wants you to focus on finding a comfortable running pace, where you can easily carry on a conversation (putting your heart rate around 60-65%). True speedwork intervals is more about pushing your heart rate to 85-90% or higher. I would work on building endurance at the 60-65% level until you can sustain it for 30-45 minutes for a couple of months before pushing the speed up to those higher levels. This will help prevent a running injury. Now, that is not to say you can't do that kind of interval training in other areas. Elliptical, bike, swim, rower, or even exercises that don't use any equipment, like jumping rope, jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers and other boot camp type exercises can fill that need.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
I'm out, at least temporarily. I did something bad to my knee. It was sore, but I thought it was just not used to the impact from running because it was OK enough for my run yesterday. But by last night, my kneecap was off to the side, I can feel the top of my tibia and it's pretty swollen.

So, off to the doctor tomorrow.
Oh, my goodness, that doesn't sound good! Hope that it is nothing serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Crunchy_mama - Yes, C25k is, technically, interval training. But, it isn't like true speed work (what you were doing). C25k wants you to focus on finding a comfortable running pace, where you can easily carry on a conversation (putting your heart rate around 60-65%). True speedwork intervals is more about pushing your heart rate to 85-90% or higher. I would work on building endurance at the 60-65% level until you can sustain it for 30-45 minutes for a couple of months before pushing the speed up to those higher levels. This will help prevent a running injury. Now, that is not to say you can't do that kind of interval training in other areas. Elliptical, bike, swim, rower, or even exercises that don't use any equipment, like jumping rope, jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers and other boot camp type exercises can fill that need.
Ok, just trying to figure this out. At my first interval timed that was what felt comfortable. I am working into finding a good stride and that felt good to me- my breathing felt right right- my legs felt smooth. Now the last half mile I did push it, just because I wanted to I wanted to see if I could make it at that speed. From reading on the site I took it that the speed was expected at about 10mph by the end. But I am a newbie in this running culture. I am just going along and seeing what makes sense to me. I am doing intervals in other things as well. I am trying not to overdo it. The last I ran was Mon and that was just sprints for about 10 min.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
bec

10mph is extremely fast. That's a 6 minute pace. You really ran the half mile in 3 minutes? Kudos to you, if that's the case! In any case, I tend to want and recommend a conservative approach to increasing speed and endurance. I've been sidelined by enough injuries that I want to prevent that, and I know how enthusiastic new runners can be, and it can get them into trouble sometimes!

As for me, I started week 5 today. I'm still feeling pretty lousy, but dragged my butt out to the track anyway. It felt pretty good, and I'm glad I went, but I am definitely tired now!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Ok, bad math Oops! My half was 4min, 3/4 was 7.5 min. I meant a 10 min mile pace and 8 min mile pace. Does that make it better? I will try not to push it too hard! I don't want to be injured either. It is exciting because I have tried to be a runner forever and now it is finally clicking together. It was hard work but it also felt good.

Sorry you are feeling bad- hopefully you are better soon!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
bec

An 8 minute pace is still nothing to sneeze at! I would maybe think about sticking closer to the 10 minute pace (also a very respectable pace. When I first started, I was around a 13 minute pace), though, until you have some more miles and experience under your belt. One thing that the C25k is doing is conditioning, not only your muscles, but your bones, tendons, and ligaments to the impact of running. When you push the pace with speed work, you are putting a considerable amount of stress on those parts, which, if you aren't being careful, or they are not accustomed to this kind of training, can lead to an injury. Maybe think about not timing it or measuring your pace for a while and just listen to what your body is telling you. If it feels good, your breathing is good, your legs feel good and you are in a rhythm, then go with that!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Ya, I think the 10mi- mile pace was probably better. Dh was timing me for that one I wasn't watching a clock or anything he just told me after the fact. So, then the next time I did kick it up as I was trying to beat my time. As I said though that is the first time I have timed as I was curious what I was running at. I haven't had any soreness at all so that is good I guess. Next time I will not time it and see how it goes.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
bec

It is awesome to push yourself, and that is how you get faster. I just wouldn't do that sort of training quite yet! In a few months, different story!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

How's everyone's runs going? Haven't heard from anyone for a while. I'll be on w7, finished wk 6 on mon and wanted to run this am but dh had to work early, so tomorrow it is...I just don't like running in the eve so I'll go in the morn. I'm now on straight runs w/o walks in btwn and going well (the nice morning weather really helps)

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
bec

20 minute run in the bag! I feel so great! It is just fantastic to be back to running!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Haven't run here! Had a HUGE family reunion and currently fighting a cold I think I am on the upswing though and am going to try to do a little workout tonight and see how it goes. Tomorrow is bootcamp class- if I am feeling well- then a run Fri- assuming all is still well.

Awesome on the run Bec!

yippiehippie- sounds like you are doing well also! I cannot figure out when it is best for me to run- it seems for running by myself though doing it in the evening is the only option.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM

I graduated today!!!

But I am still all kinds of slow. Right now I complete about 2 and 1/3 miles in 30 minutes. So I am thinking I should make my next goal to actually get to 3 miles. I'm probably never going to be fast, but I want to get distance down.

I am also looking at a few other fun/race events in the upcoming months.

This is SUCH a good program!!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
bec

Congratulations, lmbjer!!! I think working on increasing your distance is a great way to approach it! You'll be up to 3 miles in no time!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM

So, how exactly do you run w/ no treadmill and it is raining cats and dogs? Looks like running will have to wait until Sunday here, will do another cardio type activity today though.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbjer View Post
I graduated today!!!

But I am still all kinds of slow. Right now I complete about 2 and 1/3 miles in 30 minutes. So I am thinking I should make my next goal to actually get to 3 miles. I'm probably never going to be fast, but I want to get distance down.

I am also looking at a few other fun/race events in the upcoming months.

This is SUCH a good program!!
That is awesome!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Lisa!
I need to get my butt to a track or park w/mile markers bc now I'm curious of my distance. I'll prob wait til the last wk, tho.

Haven't run since Monday...DS got a cold and gave it to me . Hopefully I'll kick it soon bc I really want to get back out there!
Maybe this should be more like the 12 wk program for mamas of small kids...I think it'll be over that before I finish "week 9", but baby (sickness, rain, etc.)comes first and at least i'm/we're still at it!

User Tag List