Couch to 5K new running group - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I thought I've seen a thread for this, but think it's old, so hopefully some of you will join me for a new one!
I'm on week 4, day one. Well...this week is week 6 or 7 for me and I only have ran on Tues this week, but close enough, right. I wish I could blame it on the baby and time, but usually it's just me being lazy.
I try and run early bc it's soooo humid and hot here, even my dog is hating it! When do you run? If I don't wake up early (DS doesn't sleep well so sometimes DH will take him out of bed early and I really don't want to sacrifice that sleeping time alone it bed!) then I just don't do it.
Overall, though, I love the program. I'm using Rober Ullery's podcasts which are great (though I'm not a big fan of the music, it's nice to have someone tell me when to walk/run). Week 4 is the first one that has really challenged my lungs, running 5 min, but it feels good!
How are you doing????

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 121 Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM

i am using the same podcast. i've attempted to start this by doing week 1 day 1 for the last 3 weeks. i've just yet to be able to actually do it 3 times. i did it this morning and it def. felt easier but i'm wondering if i might need to do week 1 (in full) a couple of times? also - i have only done it on the treadmill and i would like to start going with my son and dog out on a trail but i worry i wont be able to run the same? or push myself the same? anyway, good luck and hopefully i will start to do this 3 times a week.

#3 of 121 Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Sunday week 8 day 1 is up for me....LOVE this program!!!
#4 of 121 Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

lmbjer-wow, wk 8, congrats, that's awesome

Kristine-i would just go with how it feels as to what week to do...i also miss going 3xs/wk a lot but still normally do 3 of each week no matter how long apart they are. It is harder, though, b/c you prob don't build up the stamina so well, but I also supplement w/walks w/LO and DH. I do think there's quite a difference in treadmill vs. outside running/walking (though I haven't been on a treadmill in a while).

I'm doing wk4d2 tomorrow and debating if i should bring my dog. He is not adjusting to it as well as me, lazy butt. So i end up leaving him in the car for a small part of the run after he stops (i have to drive to a park bc my neighborhood is so hilly). I just love the feeling of freely running w/o holding on to my dog

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#5 of 121 Old 08-15-2010, 08:52 AM

I finished week 1 day 2 last week then had an amazingly busy week last week and did not run at all any of last week. Today I am going on a 3 mile mountain hike and then can't find any time to run till wednesday but I will be doing week 1 day 3..

I tried this about 2 months ago and was too out of shape to do it. My shins and legs couldn't handle it. but I have built up endurance through cardio and weight videos and walking and now I can do it.. at least week 1..LOL

I am scheduled to walk/jog a 5 k in two weeks. I know I am nowhere near ready to run even half, but that is ok.. it is for walkers too.

I run a daycare from 7-530 and then last week I volunteered at VBS from 545-almost 9 so last week was a bust. I can't even run in the am cuz my husband works nights and I can;t leave the kids alone.. I NEED a treadmill!!!!

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#6 of 121 Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Awesome! I'm starting week 9 tomorrow. I've registered for a 5K for labor day. Currently I'm able to run a 5k distance (hills included, ugh) in 32 mins. And that's with warm up and cool down walking. So I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Anyone doing this to help loose weight? Stave off boredom? Or just to be able to run?

I think I'll keep doing it. I love it. But I'll need something to work towards afterwards. I think I'll work on increasing my time for another 5K in the spring. Hmm.

Anyway, keep it up!

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
#7 of 121 Old 08-15-2010, 03:52 PM
bec

I'm a runner, in general. But, I'm rehabbing a stress fracture in my tibia. I figured the C25k would be a slow, gradual return to running for me. I just finished my second Week 3 run. I'm also using the podcasts.

As far as running on the treadmill vs. running elsewhere, I run faster on the treadmill. This is because the mill helps to move me along. The mill is setting the pace, not you. It also doesn't have any variations of surface, hills (unless you set it for that), etc. In short, it's harder to run outside, than on the treadmill.

If you want to run with family members, but aren't sure that you all are evenly paced, you could go to a track. That way, everyone runs together, no one gets left behind, and you can keep an eye on everyone!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#8 of 121 Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Bec, (LOL, my friends call me bec, short for Rebecca which I prefer) I have always had issues w/shin splints. I remember getting them real bad in high school-developed into a stress fracture-so I know how frustrating it is.
My shins do still hurt some days so I really try to take it easy or rest an extra day if they feel bad. I just have such flat feet, it leads to injury.

I used to run and have always been pretty active (I work as a gymnastics coach) until pregnancy. I'm desperately trying to lose the 40lb I put on througout the pregnancy and just get back into shape! Running is great, too, b/c it's a stress reliever and I like having something that's mine and just zone out everything else. Plus, once I get into it again and can run longer distances it really does feel so good, YKWIM?

One of my goals is to run a marathon. I'm not in any hurry, but would love to be able to do that some day. I guess for now I should sign up for a 5K, you guys are motivating me!

#9 of 121 Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=GriffsKat;15738261]

Anyone doing this to help loose weight? Stave off boredom? Or just to be able to run?

QUOTE]

So above is my long answer...what's your reason? Sounds like you're doing awesome!

I've been skipping the warmups-does anyone else? I'm not sure if they're needed, though I know skipping a cool-down makes you more prone to injury/soreness, what about the warmup?

#10 of 121 Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 PM

I do it for all the above too. But also because no one in our family is/was a runner. I want to break a stereotype. My family can run, because I am a runner!

Obviously I do the warm ups. I feel like I can do better if I wup. If I don't, I feel too wooden and it's hard to start out. I have to do cool downs too, or I feel like I'm going to die if I don't. Lol!

I really am enjoying this. So glad to have found a group!

#11 of 121 Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 AM
bec

I wouldn't skip warmups. Getting your muscles warmed is really important to prevent injury when you start running. Also, if you have shin splint problems, I would definitely recommend getting fitted for running shoes. That can make a huge difference.

While I am doing this program, I have a fare amount of experience as a runner. I have run 4 half marathons and a full marathon, as well as a bunch of 5ks. I don't think of myself as a beginner runner anymore. The best course of action to prevent injury is to be prepared with well fitted shoes, to warm up and cool down properly (including stretching after), and to take it slow and steady in the beginning.

Remember that running is not a speed, it's a gait. Your running pace doesn't need to be much faster than your walking pace.

#12 of 121 Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
I wouldn't skip warmups. Getting your muscles warmed is really important to prevent injury when you start running. Also, if you have shin splint problems, I would definitely recommend getting fitted for running shoes. That can make a huge difference.

While I am doing this program, I have a fare amount of experience as a runner. I have run 4 half marathons and a full marathon, as well as a bunch of 5ks. I don't think of myself as a beginner runner anymore. The best course of action to prevent injury is to be prepared with well fitted shoes, to warm up and cool down properly (including stretching after), and to take it slow and steady in the beginning.

Remember that running is not a speed, it's a gait. Your running pace doesn't need to be much faster than your walking pace.
Thanks, Bec, good to know...I really should start doing those warmups, I'm just always in such a hurry to get home to DS!
I really wish I could get better shoes, I'd love some that mimick barefoot. However, money is too tight right now so I'm using some insoles w/extra arch support. Once I get a bit of cash and am running longer distances I'm going to treat myself

#13 of 121 Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Can you expound on that? I'm interested in what that means. Mostly because I can walk and run at the same speed (almost) on my treadmill. I always thought I needed to be fast to be a runner.

#14 of 121 Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post
lmbjer-wow, wk 8, congrats, that's awesome
Thanks!

W8D1 in the bag ---- tough, humidity kills me!

W8D2 tomorrow....should be cooler outside.

I'm running mostly because I got very tired of believing that I wasn't athletic. And as I'm staring down the barrel of 30 I decided that I had a few things I wanted to accomplish before I left my 20's. Running a 5k is one of them!
#15 of 121 Old 08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffsKat View Post
Can you expound on that? I'm interested in what that means. Mostly because I can walk and run at the same speed (almost) on my treadmill. I always thought I needed to be fast to be a runner.
You absolutely do NOT need to be fast to be a runner! I consider myself a runner, and I am hardly fast! When I ran my marathon, I finished in 5:19. My fastest half marathon has been 2:17. I run to improve my own times, run my own race!

Humans have two gaits. Walking and running. Walking is when you have at least one foot on the ground at all times. Running is when you, for however brief a period have both feet off the ground. Speed is something else entirely. When I started running, I was running around 12:30-13:00 minute miles. When I did my triathlon this summer, I walked the 5k at around that same pace. I was pushing my walk, but it was definitely still a walk because of the gait.

A lot of people think they have to be running as fast as they can in order to call themselves a runner. That's just not the case. Speed will come eventually, with miles, experience and endurance. First, though, is being able to get your body used to the movement of running. The impact, the breathing, the muscles, the motion. That's what the C25k does brilliantly (imo). You can gauge if you are going too fast by how you are breathing. You should be able to carry on a conversation while you are in your run portions. If you are too out of breath, or gasping for breath, you are going to fast, and just slow down. Speed will come, but now is not the time to look for it. If you push too fast, too soon, you open yourself up to more injuries.

#16 of 121 Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM

i did w1d2 on sunday and looking forward to doing a run wed evening to make it the first time i've done three in a week! had an issue with the ymca child watch last time so i'm feeling guilty sending ds there again but i really need this.

#17 of 121 Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Bec, thank you for that explanation. That makes a lot of sense. It also makes me feel so much better. I know I'm not fast, I know I don't look good (I have a huge caboose that continues to do it's own thing when I run) but I LOVE running and I love that I'm doing it! I guess I should just thumb my nose at those thoughts. I'm running and I should work to improve my running form and time in my own time. KWIM?

#18 of 121 Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Alright, I think I'm gonna give this a try. I've been wanting to get back up to running again where I live, but it's been unbearably hot and humid and I haven't had ANY time to do it inside, so this weekend and next week will be time to start!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#19 of 121 Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
bec

Kathryn - Definitely tell that negative chatter to take a hike! I was really self conscious when I started running. I did most of the C25k on my treadmill in my basement. It took a little bit of building up my courage to run outside. Once I started to do that, though, I realized that nobody was looking at me. Nobody cared what my caboose was doing!

#20 of 121 Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Easier said than done, though, as I am sure you know. The negative chatter gets quieter the more I run, though. It's hard to hear negativity when I am running 30 mins at a time and LOVING it. I'll just keep running, thank you!

#21 of 121 Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

busymama-, glad to have you!
Kristine-did you get your third run in?
I did w5d1 yesterday and so tomorrow it's 8min runs and then on w5d3 it jumps to one 20m run! Oh my, we'll see how that goes, it seems like a real fast jump in running times this week!
Yesterday's run was so invigorating, it really shows me what a difference sleep makes (LO slept so well that night so I was able to just get up and go, feeling awake). You guys are also motivating
My shins are still hurting almost every run, but not bad. I'm watching closely if it gets at all worse i'll take an extra day off, but so far I think my body is still getting used to the impact. I might try doing day 2 twice if I don't think it's up for a 20 min run, but we'll see!
So I gotta ask, Kathryn, I think, and someone else have the name rhys in your sigs and I saw that name somewhere else just yesterday. How do you pronounce it? (rice or reese?) I like it either way, just never seen it before and I work with kids, so see a lot of names

#22 of 121 Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 PM

We pronounce it reese, just like the peanut butter cups. Although we have had plenty of people say rice.

I can't believe it, tomorrow is my last c25k workout! I cannot believe it! I'm kinda sad. Now what do I do? I feel like there should be more. I mean, there is, I have my 5k on labor day and I guess I can just keep extending my runs like the workouts did. Or I can try to go faster or something. I can't believe I made it this far.

#23 of 121 Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
bec

20 minute run - Here's the deal. Really, you aren't increasing the amount of running time very much. You are just doing it all at once. It's something of a leap of faith the first time you do it, but, if you have gotten that far, you are ready for it. Just go out nice and slow, and try not to think about it!

After the C25k - One hour runner is a great way to increase your distance. It's one of the options open to you! I would recommend working on more endurance for a little bit before trying to work on speed. Consider signing up for a few more 5ks, and if you finish the 1 hour runner, look at a 10k! For me, I am always most focused and most consistent when I am training for something. I like having a schedule that tells me how much I am supposed to run on which days. Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I just finished week three, and it was a great run! I am feeling good and strong. Not a peep out of my bad leg, so that's good. The extra bonus for me is that it seems that I have, inexplicably, gotten quite a bit faster! I am hoping this keeps up as I add longer run times.

#24 of 121 Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM

I just finished week 3 day one. I did week one completely then day one of week 2, it was a bit easy for me so I jumped right up to week three.I will do all of week three because it looks like week 4 jumps up to a 5 minute run, which I know I am not ready for.. 3 minutes was the max I could go yesterday, I definitely wanted to stop and walk at the three min mark..

Are you guys doing this daily, every other day or what kind of schedule??

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#25 of 121 Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
bec

It's meant as a 3 day a week program. I would definitely recommend sticking to that. Those rest days are important. It helps your body recover from the stresses you are putting on it, and helps prevent injury.

I'm currently recovering from a stress fracture, so I'm giving myself 2 days in between every run day.

without a big mileage base, and if you are doing the c25k, you probably don't have one, I would definitely take at least one rest day between your run days!

#26 of 121 Old 08-21-2010, 02:06 PM

I like that one hour runner. It's a lot easier to follow than some of the other schedules/programs I've looked at. Those were way to complicated for my taste. Fast runs, fartleks, lactic threshold runs, gee wizz, I just want to run. But I am like you, Bec, I need to have a schedule, something to work towards or I just don't do it. Thank you for pointing me that way.

I guess I'll go on to Dingo's now, since I'm not doing a c25k anymore. Thanks for the encouragement!! Keep it up!

#27 of 121 Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM

DId week 3 day 2 today. I ran in the morning which was different for me and it was so much easier than after a long work day. Started the day out nice. Hopefully I can do that more often..

#28 of 121 Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffsKat View Post

I guess I'll go on to Dingo's now, since I'm not doing a c25k anymore. Thanks for the encouragement!! Keep it up!
We'll be waiting! You could have joined the dingos before finishing. Anybody is welcome!

#29 of 121 Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
We'll be waiting! You could have joined the dingos before finishing. Anybody is welcome!
What does "dingos" mean? I know it's what the runners on the running thread call themselves- but how did it come about?

Did W3D1 today. This is my 3rd attempt at Couch to 5K. I've never gotten past W5D2 before. Any advice?

Also, for those of you who run on a treadmill or have a Nike+, how fast do you run? How fast do you walk?

Thanks, ladies!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#30 of 121 Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightJoy View Post
What does "dingos" mean? I know it's what the runners on the running thread call themselves- but how did it come about?
A dingo by any other name is still a runner.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page