How did you went from couch potato to running? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I am ready, I want this, I want to start running, is free (no $) is good, I can do it with my kids, but how?
I mean, last time I tried, I went out I start running, I run one block and I went back. Next day I was so in pain I couldn't walk right for days.
So how you did it?

SAHM, married to my geeky husband and mom of 12 year old girl and 2year old
#2 of 7 Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 PM

C25K plan is how I am working it.

It is essentially intervals between walk and run (well trudge along!).

The first week (3 days) is alternating 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking. And this is for something like 8 or 10 intervals (whatever adds up to 20 minutes). It took me a full month to finish the very first day because I was SO out of shape.

Now I am up to 28 minutes of running. Just keep at it, always make an attempt. Push yourself to go just a little bit farther. You made it one block last time? Try a block and a half, or two blocks next time.

You absolutely can do this, absolutely. Let the pain (which I hope is just soreness) subside and do it again. It took me a few weeks before I wasn't so sore afterward.

Let us know how you do!!
#3 of 7 Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbjer View Post
C25K plan is how I am working it.

It is essentially intervals between walk and run (well trudge along!).
Oh thanks!!
I just google C25K and got this web where they have the whole routine and the also have it in Spanish! My mom want to start running too since a long time but I think she is afraid she is not going to be able, and I can't blame her because I have been thinking that too, but for what I read this program is really for people that have never being a runner.
I just have another question, is ok to drink while you are running, I mean in the walk part? When I tried last time I got super thirsty and I really think I could have done it better if I could drink some water (no sure if is ok). Also, is it normal that you get a pain in one of your side of your stomash? Have this happen to somebody else when starting runing?

#4 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM

I drink all the time when running. Usually if I'm out for longer than 45 minutes I'll bring a drink with me. I prefer an electrolyte drink like Vitamin Water over plain water in the summer. I get side aches when running if I've eaten too much or too close to a run. This has gotten better for me the more experienced I am with running. Stretching the area can help. Good luck with your running!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#5 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 PM

Also, remember to warm up and cool down (slowly working your way into and out of activity) and stretch afterwards!!! Good luck!!
#6 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane-t-mommy View Post
Also, remember to warm up and cool down (slowly working your way into and out of activity) and stretch afterwards!!! Good luck!!
Lol, yeah, I forgot that. Yesterday was my second day of running (I am following the website that Imbjer gave me). I must say it sounds a lot more easy then what it was. I mean, I saw run a minute and rest 90 sec. Easy right? Nooo, lol.
The first ones I was cool, but by half of them I kept looking at the clock. I finish a whole bottle of water in just 20 min. and I was as red as a tomato.
But I did it!!!!!!
Both days I finish my whole 20 min.
I have another question I hope somebody can help me
I am running every other day but I am very exited about this and I will like to do something in the other days I am not running.
I was thinking do one day arms and other abs but I don't know what to do the 3rd. I don't know if I should do weights for my legs since I am already exercise them with the running.
Thanks for your replies.

#7 of 7 Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 AM
bec

Strength training is great on your off days. Feel free to hit your legs, just remember, they will be pretty tired when you run. If you are going to do strength for your legs, Maybe hit it on one of the days you have a 2 day run break. Or, you could walk on your off days.

I get side stitches when I am dehydrated, so definitely continue to hydrate when you are running.

I would guess that you are running too fast on your run portions if you are having a hard time with week one. Slow down. As I said in the other thread, running is a gait, not a speed. You should be able to talk and hold a conversation during your run segments, not gasping for breath. If you are, and it is so hard you feel like you are going to pass out, you are definitely going too fast! If that means that your running is not much faster than your walking pace, that's all right. Don't worry about speed right now, worry about getting the motion!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page