Is there anything I can do for this flabby belly skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working out, things are getting toned, but my belly skin is insane. 20 months after my second child, and it is horrible. When I do push ups it all just hangs off my stomach. It is gross!! Is there something I can do to somehow get it to shrink back to somewhat normal? I swear I'll try anything.
#2 of 18 Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM

If it's just stretched out skin, I think the only solution is surgery. If it's flabby fat, then toning and losing fat will help (but maybe not completely eliminate it). I've noticed that after having 2 kids, my belly fat is much more jello-esque than it used to be!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#3 of 18 Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post
If it's just stretched out skin, I think the only solution is surgery. If it's flabby fat, then toning and losing fat will help (but maybe not completely eliminate it). I've noticed that after having 2 kids, my belly fat is much more jello-esque than it used to be!
I agree that may be the only option if it's not just fat. If it is just fat, there are several versions of sit ups/crunches that can be done to help tone that area. What sort of workouts are you doing? I recommend the 30 Day Shred video with Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser. Various workouts for cardio, strength and ab work.
Or even buying an exercise/balance ball and doing sit ups/crunches on that. There is a ball that you can buy that comes with a DVD that will show you various workouts that you can do. I got one for my bday and I really enjoy it.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#4 of 18 Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM

I have the same thing going on after three kids and I have a tight midsection with definition. I agree that only surgery will fix it if you are toned up. I told my good friend that if I was ever going to have cosmetic surgery (which I wouldn't because I won't accept any consequences for it and can't afford it...) I would have a tummy tuck/lift.
#5 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM

FYI, if it is fat, then doing ab crunches isn't going to make it go away. You need to adjust your DIET and continue burning those calories with cardio as well as strength exercises. A lot of times the last place for women to lose fat is the belly area.

If it is stretched out skin, however, the only option as someone stated above is surgery to remove the excess skin.

I'd love support------>
#6 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicam View Post
FYI, if it is fat, then doing ab crunches isn't going to make it go away. You need to adjust your DIET and continue burning those calories with cardio as well as strength exercises. A lot of times the last place for women to lose fat is the belly area.

If it is stretched out skin, however, the only option as someone stated above is surgery to remove the excess skin.
True, not necessarily crunches, but there are lifts that you can do with your legs that will target your lower ab/stomach area and help strengthen the core. There are also the bicycle crunches where you are moving your legs and such. But yes, incorporating the cardio AND ab work will improve and tone your mid section.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#7 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Without pix, it's impossible to tell if it's excess skin or fat. The skin does shrink. This is an excellent article. If it's fat, keep lowering your body fat. Diet is the best way to do that. Have you had your body fat checked?

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#8 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM

I was going to say it will take time, like years maybe of eating right and so forth, but eventually the skin will shrink. I was almost 300lbs at one point and I have lost a lot of it, plus with babies thrown in there. But I have noticed my belly slowly getting more taut. It's like the excess skin is getting reabsorbed. It just takes time. Or surgery. But I don't like elective surgery like that.

I know what you mean though, it just hangs there. Like bread dough. yuk.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
#9 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 PM

I agree with the article from the PP. I have loose skin from having ds, but he is 3.5 years old now, and I started exercising when he was 8 months old, over the course of those 3 years I have increased my fitness 10 fold I lift weights, I run races, I crossfit...and my flab has almost disappeared. The lower my bodyfat percentage gets the more the flab goes away.
#10 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

That article is interesting. I'd say the rapid weight gain and loss thing is pretty accurate for me. I showed super early, especially with DS2, because I am short waisted and my belly just shot out. Then I lost all of the baby weight quickly. So I guess I should just give it more time and keep doing what I'm doing. It is reassuring to hear that others have lost it over time.
#11 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Mine has certainly gotten better- I got my excess skin from babe #1`who is 6 now. I don't know if it will ever go all the way away. I am still holding out a slim hope. I am pretty slim now and still have it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#12 of 18 Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 PM

If you don't mind spending money, microcurrent therapy will tighten the skin (but does not get rid of fat). It is about $100 per session and can take 8 to 10 sessions over the course of a month. Results can last years if you don't gain weight and stretch it out again. I have not had it done, but know someone who has and her stomach looks great. I am actually thinking about doing it on my face . . . can't bear that I am starting to look my age!
#13 of 18 Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 AM

Running has helped my belly. It is not completely gone, but it has gotten much better in the last 6 months.
#14 of 18 Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 AM

I really struggle with negative feelings about the extra saggy skin. I lost 35 pounds gradually over 5 months on Weight Watches. Currently, I weight train using heavy weights 3 times a week, I run almost 10 miles a week, cross train, and practice yoga. It's been a trip mentally to watch cellulite dissolve, my arms get more toned and stronger than I ever imagined, my legs, back, backside, all super toned and yet my belly! I can actually see a six pack underneath the saggy skin. Oh, and I'm also unsure if it is all saggy skin and not some fat involved but everything I've read says you can't lose fat in a centralized location. I'm at my ideal body weight (125 and 5'2") and I really do not want to lose any more because if I do, my face starts to look really gaunt.

So I truly commiserate. I think it has to do with genetics if your skin will snap back. I asked this same question you are asking on this board a few months back and the main thing people said was to give it time and so I am. I do not want to go the surgery route so I'm giving it time but also doing a lot of mental work to get to a place where I can embrace it and find it . . . maybe not beautiful but at least acceptable.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#15 of 18 Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote from the linked article:

<<Women shouldn't expect to have tight abdominal skin unless they are in the low to mid teens in body fat. >>

That is really, really low for a grown woman with children. Absurdly, living and breathing only to keep the % of body fat low.

For me, in my healthy weight range, eating a healthy and sensible diet, and working out at a gym consistantly, 24-25% body fat is managable. I look better than most women my age and my doctor is thrilled with where I am.

Naked you can tell I've had kids, but I think that any one who sees me naked should already know that. My tummy is flat in clothes.

And you can't spot reduce. When your body looses fat, it decides where to loose it from. You can tighten your abs by working them, but the body will only release fat from abs when it feels like it. Doing ab work won't cause that fat to go away.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#16 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to think wrinkled loose belly can only be fixed with surgery. I had my last kid over 7 years ago and my belly looked horrible for a skinny person. It was like a wrinkled deflated balloon and hang out even though I was quite thin. It did eventually improve, though, especially when I started exercising regularly and ate more protein. I heard if you have a very healthy diet and drink lots of water it would improve faster. My belly now is by no means smooth, but only the navel still looks a bit wrinkly, the rest look very acceptable. I even wear bikini sometimes. Of course it'll never be all flat and firm again like a teenagers, but it doesn't look bad and I don't wish for a tummy tuck any more.

*The linked article is from a bodybuilding site. I don't think the fat percentage they're talking about is applicable to regular people.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#17 of 18 Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM

really the things I've seen people have the most success with are clean, nutrients dense foods in appropriate quantities (that will help the quality of the skin and it's ability to rebound) continued movement (not necessarily targeted) adequate hydration and calc fluor cell salts which help tighten up loose skin. Skin CAN firm up, no question.
#18 of 18 Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

It's inspiring to hear that some of you are able to get rid of this problem without surgery. I was reading something a few months ago that talked about once the skin stretches past a certain point that it won't ever return to normal. But it sounds like there is some hope still!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page