How long did it take you to lose weight post-partum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I gained a LOT in my pregnancy (my first) ~ 48 lbs (22 kg). I was 128 lbs / 58 kg before I got pregnant, and I'm 5'5". While I was pregnant I had mean sugar cravings and, unfortunately, gave in to them too often. I went up 2 sizes! I lost about half the weight with the birth, as is normal, but now ~ three months later, I've only lost a few more pounds (honestly haven't been weighing myself) and I'm just feeling like a fat slob. I can't fit into any of my pre-pregnancy clothes, not because of my belly but because as I said, I went up two sizes so it's my bum and thighs. My upper arms are also now sort of flabby, which mortifies me. I can't even look at pictures of myself.

Several people have said "Don't worry about it, it's early yet, it'll come off"...but I do worry. I feel like if I don't do something soon, before I know it a year will go by, I'll be used to my newer bigger self and that'll be it. I know many women lose the weight naturally with little to no effort, but I think those women only gained regular pregnancy weight. I, however, gained fat that was not pregnancy related per se, but from too much sugar.

Has anyone btdt? Should I be joining a gym? I'm not sure that would even work as we don't really have childcare for that sort of thing and I don't think our DS is ready for that anyway. I am BFing, so I suppose I shouldn't diet, right? Would cutting back on carbs be bad for the BF situation or might that help? I have cut out a lot of sugar, but could do even more. What are ways I can get some exercise while being a SAHM? We already go on long walks nearly every day, but that isn't enough IMO.

Thanks for your support.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did next to nothing and it took me a year...but I gained 50lbs during pregnancy.

I only exercised the last few months of the year because I was worried about losing weight too quickly and hurting my BM supply (I lose weight quickly)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM

took 4 years to lose the 100 lbs with ds1. 3 years to lose 60 with ds2. ive already lost 70 of the 100 with dd, 7 months. im doing the hcg diet this time around. i dont want to spend the next few years struggling to get the weight off. i fully expect to surpass my 100 lb goal by thanksgiving
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM

I gained 45 and 40. I lost both by 5 mo post partum.....the first, I did nothing. The second, I joined a gym and went 5 days a week and ate healthier.
#5 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM

With DS#1, I gained 44lbs and didn't get back in to my pre-preg size until I was 4 months PP. I went to the gym hardcore in the beginning and then drifted away after a few months, but I still ate healthy, but wasn't super conscious about it. My start weight was 147.

With DS#2, I gained 45lbs. My start weight was 153. I'm almost 6 months PP and I've lost all of the weight including an additional 13lbs. I'm at 140 and wearing a size 6. The last time I was this size and this weight was almost 9 years ago when DH and I started dating!! This time around, I've been dieting (low carb) and exercising almost daily. I go to the gym at least 2 times a week - sometimes 3. But when I'm at home, I'm exercising, too. Walks, running up and down the stairs. Do 'flying baby' with DS over my head works on my arms and shoulders. Lunges down the hall. Things like this that you can incoporate in to your daily routine.
Now, I only was able to nurse both boys for a couple of months - supply issues.
You can still diet - just choose healthier options and stay away from processed food and sugar. That shouldn't effect your milk supply.

DS#2 is our last one so I'm completely committed now to keep my body in shape and eating healthy.

Good luck to you mama. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know that I was in the beginning, but once I noticed changes, it kept me motivated to keep on going.

Also, I did the 30 Day Shred DVD that everyone has been talking about and I really believe that helped kick start my workout routine and changes in my body!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#6 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
I am BFing, so I suppose I shouldn't diet, right?
You can diet as long as you eat enough calories to supply both your and your baby's needs. I do Weight Watchers (and lost 70 pounds!) and they have information on loosing weight while breastfeeding.

WW works on a points system where you get a certain number of points to eat during the day based on your height, current weight, etc., and you get extra points for breastfeeding.

I'm sure there are other healthy ways to do achieve and maintain your best weight, but this is the way I found that works for me.

Quote:
Would cutting back on carbs be bad for the BF situation or might that help? I have cut out a lot of sugar, but could do even more.
I'm not a fan of low carb diets because they leave me with cravings. I feel best when I avoid processed foods but include whole grains and healthy carbs in my diet, such as potatoes, corn, oatmeal, fruit etc.

Sugar, white flour, and other refined foods really don't offer you any nutrition and can cause you to feel more hungry.

A truly balanced diet with lots of vegies, lean protein, a couple of serving of low or not fat dairy, some whole grains, a couple of pieces of fruit is what works best for me for my weight.

Quote:
What are ways I can get some exercise while being a SAHM? We already go on long walks nearly every day, but that isn't enough IMO.
DVDs!

Good luck! Lots of us have been there!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#7 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 06:17 PM

I second DVDs OR Hulu has short workout videos. IMO I loved my Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can do it a few times a week and not lose too quickly.

I also like the 10min Solution DVDs. Each DVD has 5-6 10min workouts. Perfect for moms with little ones.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#8 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
I gained a LOT in my pregnancy (my first) ~ 48 lbs (22 kg). I was 128 lbs / 58 kg before I got pregnant, and I'm 5'5". While I was pregnant I had mean sugar cravings and, unfortunately, gave in to them too often. I went up 2 sizes! I lost about half the weight with the birth, as is normal, but now ~ three months later, I've only lost a few more pounds (honestly haven't been weighing myself) and I'm just feeling like a fat slob. I can't fit into any of my pre-pregnancy clothes, not because of my belly but because as I said, I went up two sizes so it's my bum and thighs. My upper arms are also now sort of flabby, which mortifies me. I can't even look at pictures of myself.

Several people have said "Don't worry about it, it's early yet, it'll come off"...but I do worry. I feel like if I don't do something soon, before I know it a year will go by, I'll be used to my newer bigger self and that'll be it. I know many women lose the weight naturally with little to no effort, but I think those women only gained regular pregnancy weight. I, however, gained fat that was not pregnancy related per se, but from too much sugar.

Has anyone btdt? Should I be joining a gym? I'm not sure that would even work as we don't really have childcare for that sort of thing and I don't think our DS is ready for that anyway. I am BFing, so I suppose I shouldn't diet, right? Would cutting back on carbs be bad for the BF situation or might that help? I have cut out a lot of sugar, but could do even more. What are ways I can get some exercise while being a SAHM? We already go on long walks nearly every day, but that isn't enough IMO.

Thanks for your support.
I was at the exact same starting weight with my 1st pregnancy, gained the same amount and am 5'6". I was 5 pounds above pre-preg at about 9 months post partum.
I did some jogging, light weight training and belly dance classes once a week. Oh and of course, breastfeeding. I didn't diet at all. Just ate pretty healthfully.
#9 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM

#1 gained 55 pds- lost weight by 4 months(40 lbs by 5 weeks not even trying) - starting doing some exercise at 6 weeks. Wasn't back into my regular size until about 7-8 months though

#2 gained 35- lost weight by 4 months and IIRC was back in my regular size by then. Life was CHAOS then so it is hard to remember exactly, I did exercise some but the diet wasn't the best although I try to eat to satiety and then avoid processed foods.

#3 gained 35 pds- lost weight by 4 months and back to regular clothes. Started exercise at 6 weeks and kept up low carb dieting. I do low carb all the time now w/ my blood sugar issues I feel good on it.

I think saying you cannot lose weight at all while bfing is not fair to women. I think starving yourself of course isn't a good idea but as long as you are eating whole foods and ONLY eating until fullness- along w/ being active you should naturally lose weight at some pace and I think that is a good thing to be active and eat good foods.

Everyone is different but I LOVE low carb. I feel 1000x time better on a low carb diet. Absolutely wonderful. Eating low fat fare ends up w/ me feeling like poop, tired depressed w/ horrid cravings and binges. I never had any supply issue w/ eating lowcarb. I find that it makes my supply regulate better actually. I would say sugar as in just sugar isn't healthy for anyone- so if you are eating excess amounts regardless of your diet (or way of eating- as I prefer to say as it is a lifestyle thing for me) isn't a good thing..

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#10 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 04:42 PM

I just don't buy the thing about breastfeeding making you keep weight on. My sister couldn't keep weight on while breastfeeding. I lost solidly but hung on to only 5 lbs.
If you buy into the myth of eating like crazy+ breatfeeding= weightloss your set up for disappointment.

As my midwife told me...breastfeeding is natural lipo...eat reasonably to hunger, stay moderately active and the weight will come off.

Incidentally, I spent from 30-40 pregnant, breastfeeding or both.
Once my youngest weaned (he was 3.5) I gained weight and really had to start paying attention to diet.
#11 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM

I was at my prepregnancy weight by 8 months postpartum, and I'm 5 pounds below it now at 10 months postpartum.

I'm MUCH smaller than I was before getting pregnant though. I've put on a lot of lean mass.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#12 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depends on which pregnancy. I'm 5'7", and I've been within 20 pounds at the start of every pregnancy (between 125 and 145) and within 10 pounds at the end of every pregnancy (between 152 and 162). Right now I'm close to the upper range of my pre-pregnancy weights (last baby is almost 18 months old), and that is totally fine with me. I'm a little older now and not so obsessed with achieving a weight that I have to work really hard at maintaining. I'm way more focused now on eating healthy food and getting a healthy amount of exercise, and I trust that my body will do with that what it's meant to do.

To answer the question - how long did it take? - well, it really didn't take long. My body just seems to naturally prefer to be at a certain weight if I'm eating the way it prefers to eat. I can get obsessive and restrict calories and get really thin, or I can eat a bunch of sugar and carbs and gain weight. If I follow a diet relatively low in carbs, then I can eat to hunger and maintain a steady weight around 135 to 145 no problem. For me, low carb is definitely helpful.
#13 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 06:39 PM

I weigh between 100-108 when not pregnant, normal is 104. I have always had a high metabolism.
With dd1 I do not remember how much I gained exactly, but I know it was between 35-40. I maintained a 12 lb cushion for the first year. I was able to fit in my clothing when she was a few months old. I had to go back to work when she was 12 mo old (her father stayed home instead) I was still breastfeeding (until she was 3.5 yo) My job was a stand on your feet thing, and I lost the 12 lbs the first month, back down to 107 very quickly. It did affect my supply. I had other issues too, I was sick in my stomach for a long time, so that may have affected supply too. My milk dried up for the last time when I got down to 98 lbs when dd1 was only 3.5yo It broke my heart, I wanted to go longer.

dd2 I gained 44 lbs. I was down to 99 when I got pregnant. I lost down to 120 by about 8 pp. I did nothing exercise wise, other than occasional (very occasional) stretching, hiking, yoga. I could not wear any of my pre preg clothes for a long time. I still cannot fit into my pants at all. Luckily I have a few in bigger sizes, but for the first few months I just hung out in my pregnancy clothes and sweats... I can only wear older tops, as I am still a heavy 'c' cup and when not preg or bfing... I am a small 'a'. I have been at 120 for months and months now. I know it is a good weight for my height (5'4"), but I do long to wear my size 0 jeans again one day. I know it will happen. But I believe weight does directly affect your supply. I think aiming to keep an extra 12-20 lbs is a good thing.

I am now becoming unhappy with my pooch (never had a pooch before) so I am doing more yoga. My age may be a factor, I am 40. I have the arm flabby thing too, never saw that before either... I am doing things to work my triceps...

I saw this and did want to write in that IME losing too much weight will affect supply. And to say although I didn't lose it all yet, I am at a plateau and have stayed there for months now (dd2 is 19 mo)

eta: I eat GFCFSF/ mostly veg with occasional small amounts of non mammal flesh. eat nuts anytime you are hungry, or raw veg.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#14 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 PM

I gained around 40 lbs in both pregnancies, and it was all-over - big arms for the first time, gained on my thighs, and my DH referred to my behind as providing ballast for my huge pregnant belly lol I'm 5'2", so the weight gain really showed.

I lost all but 5 lbs by 9 months, and lost those by 12 months, both times.

I didn't exercise post baby #1, and did with baby #2, but it didn't affect the rate or amount lost.

I think I fit into my regular clothes around 5 months post-p.

Long walks are perfect Maybe you could increase the pace a tiny bit, and cut down on sugar/treats if you want to lose a little more. I didn't believe it either, but the weight does come off.

Mama to my 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page