Can we start a Lots to Lose Tribe here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 152 Old 08-29-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got about 150 pounds to lose, and am ready to start trying in earnest. I would love to have a support group of other people who also have lots of weight to lose.

The Biggest Loser had live interviews/auditions in my city earlier this year. I'm not a big fan of the show, but at the time I had the feeling that it was my best hope for actually losing the weight, and also for some reason that it was my last chance. I debated going to the auditions but then realized that there was really no way for me to logistically be on the show (assuming I even made the cut). I realized that what I needed was a Biggest Loser type program: a doctor to make sure I was healthy, a nutritionist, a personal trainer, maybe even a therapist, and a group of people who are all in the same boat to commiserate with and support each other, and hold each other accountable.

I've gone to the doctor and gotten the go ahead to diet and exercise. The only thing she found wrong with me, other than my weight, was low vitamin D levels, so I've started supplementing that (10,000 iu, 5 days a week for 12 weeks, then 1000 a day thereafter).

I started the South Beach Diet today, but the Phase One, 2 week meal plan that is outlined in the book is a ridiculously low amount of calories for someone as big as I am, so I'm using the SBD food guidelines, but will be tracking my calories on DailyPlate, and using that as a guideline too to make sure I'm getting enough food.

I'm going to be trying to find an obese-friendly personal trainer this next week, but until then I will be wearing a pedometer and trying to get 10,000 steps in a day, as well as doing other activities like biking and swimming a couple times a week.

I would love company, encouragement, and support. If you'd like to join me here (or in the tribal area if that is more appropriate, mods), I welcome you. Please introduce yourself and lets get going together!

And if this group already exists here on MDC, please help me find it.

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#2 of 152 Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Can I join in? I don't know if I qualify as "lots to lose" at this point, but I've already lost almost 90 lbs. I have about another 55 to go to get to the top of the "normal" range for my height.
#3 of 152 Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, absolutely, Jeri! 90 pounds lost! That's impressive! How have you done it?

#4 of 152 Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Count me in, totally!!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#5 of 152 Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM

count me in as well! i've got more than 80lbs to lose, ideally 100 in the long run.

i've started running with the couch to 5k program but its slow going as i only make it to the gym 2 times a week. we got a puppy so i have been doing a lot more walking. i think my belly looks a little less? but i've actually not lost any weight at all. i feel good after a run though.

#6 of 152 Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM

I have tons to lose...about 100+ because I am so short (5'2")...but i've decided to focus myself on losing weight instead of having a baby LOL...

So I ran 5 miles this weekend, huge quarter size blisters on the backs of my ankles and i just want to walk more! but putting shoes on at this point is too painful

I am also going low-carb, cutting out sugars, breads and starches, which is going to be hard as I love on pasta and potatoes

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#7 of 152 Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Bunnyflakes, kristinekristine, and BettinaAuSucre! Thanks for joining us!

Wow, people are running! I can’t run at all anymore, so I’m really impressed. I’m hoping that it is something I might be able to do again once I get some of this weight off. One of the things I like about using an elliptical machine is it feels like running, but it doesn’t hurt my knees like the real thing does. I need to figure out a way to get access to one.

@kristinekristine
Could you explain what the Couch to 5K program is? I’ve seen it mentioned here on MDC but have never figured out if it is a book or program or what.

@BettinaAuSucre
Congrats on running 5 miles this weekend! Shame about the blisters. Ouch! What do you think caused them? Is it something you can remedy (like getting different shoes or socks) or do you just need to build up calluses?

Yesterday went well for me. I was able to stay on the South Beach Diet even though we went out to eat. I am really noticing how much of my diet was made up of simple carbs like white bread and pasta. I’m rather surprised by it because I considered myself a fairly healthy eater at home and blamed most of my weight gain on fast food. But the couple times I went into the kitchen looking for a snack I noticed that what I would have normally grabbed was really starchy (chips, toast, etc.).

I also went for a nice long bike ride yesterday. I wanted to see how hard it would be for me and the boys to ride bikes to school. It’s about 3 or 4 miles each way. It was a pretty easy ride, but might be kind of scary and trafficy during the week. I think we’re going to start slow with biking on just Fridays to see how that goes.

Wishing everyone a successful week!

#8 of 152 Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Oooh! I'd love to join as well. About 120 to lose here I am still nursing and plan On it for awhile so have to go slow. Plan is to get cardio in 3 times and cut carbs and starches. Also late night snacks!

Me and DH, our crazy brood DS (11), DS (6) DD (2) DD (9 mos) and an intense dog. . Tea sipping, full time working, home-birthing, vegetarian mama!
#9 of 152 Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 AM

I'd like to join in. Having never really been at a healthy weight, I'm guessing I need to lose about 120 lb (highest 262, currently 246, goal of about 140, 5'4"- maybe not quite that low since I"m naturally kinda *thick*). I'm also doing Couch to 5K and I love it. I started a few months ago then dropped it for awhile and picked back up last week with Week 3. To minimize wear and tear on my joints, I'm doing each "week" for 3-4 weeks and building up slowly. It's totally doable though and I would encourage anyone wanting to eventually run for fitness to try it. Even if you stay on week1 for as long as you need to, it's very empowering to actually complete the workout each time. I add some weight circuits also and that's actually kind of fun too. Crazy, I know.

-Sarah
#10 of 152 Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 AM

oh, and Dashsmama, Couck to 5K is a walking/jogging program that gets you ready to run a 5k or for 30 minutes at a time. It alternates walking and jogging and each week you increase the amount of jogging time. As I mentioned above, I do each week's worth of workouts for 3-4weeks because my body is just to heavy to be running that much for that long so soon. You can get more info at www.c25k.com There are even podcasts with music and time cues so that you don't have to watch your times. I really like the program as so many times I have tried a new workout routine and failed to be able to complete even the first workout. C25K is different and I have been able to complete the workout each time. Like most moms, I'm busy and, although I'm not a naturally gifted runner, would like to be able to go for a run just to get the exercise out of the way for the day.
#11 of 152 Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 AM

Count me in. I have roughly 100-120lbs to lose. Looking forward to dd1 going back to school so I can get back into walking with dd2 in the stroller. I have been looking at c25k as well, I may try that once I get back into the routine.
#12 of 152 Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM

I'm 5'8", and I have about 75 lbs I have to lose.

I was recently inspired by a dear friend of mine, who lost about 180 lbs in the past 1-2 years. He was 360+ lbs, and now he's 180. I asked how he did it, and he said he just started bicycling everywhere. He rode his bike to and from work. He biked whenever he went to visit somebody. The pounds just melted away.

Anyways, we can "commiserate with and support each other, and hold each other accountable". I have a "start date" set to September 1st. Tomorrow, I plan on creating a schedule to stick to.
#13 of 152 Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM

Hi Ladies,
Can I join you? I had been on the Do You Need a Weightloss Buddy thread a while back but lost my good computer connection so have been mia for a while now. Didn't see the other thread but saw this one and really need support.

I have 120 to lose. Lots of high-stress in my life. Struggling with good eating habits and any exercise. Really need some buddies to do this with.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#14 of 152 Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM

I'm in. 5'6" here, 195 pounds. I gained during my ppd bout after DD2 and was up to 230. I lost 45 pounds juicefeasting and switching to a raw vegan diet. I've gained back 10 pounds since I stopped juicefeasting. I have a recent and have been hitting the sweets hard. I don't want to spiral down that path again. I'd like to be 135, so 60 pounds to go!

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#15 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hooray more people!!! Welcome mandms, mollipop, Siennaflower, AtYourCervices, momto4plus4, and Maine Mama Doula!

@mandms
Sad face understood. To have so much weight to lose can be a bit overwhelming. It’s not impossible though, so lets try and help each other out, OK, and I think we can do it! I also understand wanting to keep your milk supply up. I went on WeightWatchers 2 years ago, when my youngest was 1, and my supply plummeted. I quit after about 4 weeks. Turns out that maximum WW points (about 2250 calories) wasn’t enough food for someone of my weight, let alone someone of my weight who was also nursing. Using the tools at The Daily Plate at livestrong.com really helped me figure out how much I should be eating. You might want to check it out, if you haven’t already, and mentally add in an extra 500 calories for nursing .

@mollipop
Workouts that are fun and empowering? I’ll have to check out that Couch to 5K program. You don’t find yourself unable to walk or in pain the day after you workout? I’d love to be able to run again. I actually have running dreams now, like I used to have flying dreams when I was a kid. (Somehow that seems kind of pathetic, now that I’ve written it. Oh well, it is what it is.) Thanks for the explanation and the link!

@Siennaflower
When does school start for your dd? My guys don't go back until the 13th. Do you live somewhere where the weather will stay nice for awhile yet, or are you a hearty soul who will go out into the cold and wet to workout? I tend to use the weather as an excuse to stay inside, so that’s something I need to work on overcoming.

@AtYourCervices
Wow! Way to go for your friend! I love hearing those kinds of success stories! Here’s a program kickoff celebration for you! Good luck, and let us know what kind of program you have come up with for yourself.

@momto4plus4
Welcome and hugs to you mama. It’s so hard to focus on eating well and exercising when things get stressful. Remember to take things one day at a time, and be kind to yourself. You are important and worth the effort!!! Is there a small, non-stressful thing that you can start today to get you on your way? Or are you hoping to jump into a program with both feet? Let us know what you need from us, and we’ll do our best to help you out!

@Maine Mama Doula
So sorry about your loss, mama! ((Hugs)) Remember to give yourself time to grieve and heal. Sweets give you a quick boost of seratonin, so it’s totally understandable that you’re hitting them hard right now. Do you plan to go back to juicefasting or are you looking for other ways to help you shed the pounds too?

#16 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

A quick update from me...

Day 3 of The South Beach Diet has come and gone. So far so good! Today I was really craving carbs though, so I made a big garbanzo bean and veggie salad and ate the whole thing throughout the day. Beans are on the list of things that are allowed the first 2 weeks of the SBD, so I didn't feel like I was cheating, even though it was likely more carbs than the program calls for. It really made me feel much better and cleared my head a bit.

I haven't gotten my walking in the last couple of days because I've had a very sick kiddo at home. I also haven't had a chance to look for a personal trainer. Assuming my little guy is better, I'm going to try and get on both of those things tomorrow.

What goals/programs/plans are you all working on right now?

#17 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ladies, I'm sending you all my support and .

My weight has been an "issue" for me for most of my life, too. I've lost about 17kg (37lbs) since May 2009 and I'm "almost there", so I don't really qualify for this thread anymore - but I can definitely recognize my own patterns in some posts here (carbs!!!).

For the record: I used a combination of Nordic Walking, some work-out classes in a gym, and a diet with low glycemic index.
Good luck to everyone!

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#18 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

I definitely need to join this group. I have 100-120 lbs to lose and I suck at it.
Until the last couple weeks I was going to the gym 4-6 times a week mostly on the ellipitcal & treadmill. In 3 weeks I'm starting a "women and weights" class, I'm hoping that if I start doing weights too I might be able to budge the scale.
I'm really struggling with food. The way we eat here is a lot of casseroles etc so it seems impossible to measure my food to track, which is the only way I've ever been able to lose weight. Financially I can't afford to cook separate food for me. I've been completely unsuccessful at trying to cook the casserole pieces separate so I can weigh out my portion then mix, it just takes too much time when I'm trying to prep food with my kids being insane monkeys around me. I have to figure out some way to track my food and portion control that works in my life.
I'm trying to make myself eat, right now I generally eat supper & then snack in the evening and that's about it.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#19 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Hi, not joining, though I recently lost 55 lbs and have 10-15lbs to go, so definitely lots to lose. I started just with exercise, which then had an impact on my eating habits. Gradually I added time and intensity to my exercise and kept cleaning up my eating bit by bit - adding in calorie counting about 35lbs in. Definitely taking a step at a time seems to work.

Anyways, I just wanted to give advice on how to measure with casseroles and such. When I started counting calories at the Daily Plate (my fav site of that type) and my partner started WW, what I did was enter the recipe into the Daily Plate. They have a recipe builder function. Then I just counted out how many cups it made and made that a serving. It would tell me my cals, fat, fiber, etc for a serving and then I could just measure out a cup of stew or chili or whatever. Once you do it a while you have a store of recipes and you can also put stuff in the freezer. For ex., I make 20 cup pots of chili that are about 250 calories/cup and freeze them in 1 cup portions.
#20 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
@Siennaflower
When does school start for your dd? My guys don't go back until the 13th. Do you live somewhere where the weather will stay nice for awhile yet, or are you a hearty soul who will go out into the cold and wet to workout? I tend to use the weather as an excuse to stay inside, so that’s something I need to work on overcoming.
Dd's school starts on the 7th, so less than a week away now. I live in VA and can't wait for the weather to turn, lol. I'm not a summer girl at all, I much prefer cooler weather. I tend to use the heat as an excuse not to exercise, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. Hopefully once I get into a routine I won't have any excuses next summer (and being a little lighter won't hurt either ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
A quick update from me...

Day 3 of The South Beach Diet has come and gone. So far so good! Today I was really craving carbs though, so I made a big garbanzo bean and veggie salad and ate the whole thing throughout the day. Beans are on the list of things that are allowed the first 2 weeks of the SBD, so I didn't feel like I was cheating, even though it was likely more carbs than the program calls for. It really made me feel much better and cleared my head a bit.

I haven't gotten my walking in the last couple of days because I've had a very sick kiddo at home. I also haven't had a chance to look for a personal trainer. Assuming my little guy is better, I'm going to try and get on both of those things tomorrow.

What goals/programs/plans are you all working on right now?
Sounds like the SBD is going good for you! Hope your kiddo is well soon .

My plan right now is to transition to a mediterranean/sonoma diet and start walking again. My first goal is to complete the c25k program, no specific time frame just taking it week by week. Ultimate goal is to lose 100-120lbs, again with no specific time frame. I want to do it slowly and as healthfully as I can.
#21 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Hmm...I need a start day. Still eating the candy and drinking some rum I really need to move forward. I hate counting calories, so for me I think it just has to do with WHAT foods I eat. I won't be able to juicefeast again because it's just not in the budget now, especially now that the growing season is nearing the end. My plan will be to eat raw until dinner, starting with a green smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch, then dinner with the family. I will be doing power 90 for exercise and when I feel that I've conquered that, I will move onto P90X. I might mix it up with some runs when dh is home. We'll see. Here we go!!

Nina Wife to DH
#22 of 152 Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM

So, I was going to go grocery shopping today and buy a bunch of new, healthy foods. Unfortunately, that was put off until next week, so we have to do with what's in the cupboards. It's not too horrible, but not the greatest, either. Lots of rice, veggies & chicken, but the bread isn't the healthiest choice and the cereals are way too sugary. It will have to deal until I can go to the store in a week.

In the meantime, I've decided that I'm going to pull out the old exercise machine. I had cleared out the very large closet (5' x 12'), and had it out there, but I feel too claustrophobic to actually work out in the closet.

I think I need to create a blog. That should keep me to a plan and hopefully inspire others. I'll start setting it up this week, and start it on September 9th (link to come). You see, September 9th is an anniversary of sorts. Several really bad events happened to me on that date in different years. I need to turn that date into something positive.
#23 of 152 Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome mama_ani! I second bronxmom's suggestion for using the Daily Plate to figure out how big a serving of caserole should be. Logging your food and recipes is a great way to get a handle on what you're eating. There's other good tips and support there too, and a basic membership is free!

Thanks for the tips and support proudmomof4 and bronxmom! It's always nice to hear success stories!

Here’s a starting celebration for Siennaflower and Maine Mama Doula
Go, mamas, go!!

And good for you AtYourCervices for not letting a little shopping set back stop your plans! I can't wait to read your blog.

Way to go mamas! Let's do this!

#24 of 152 Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! Due to baby, I am now off: soy, egg, nuts, seafood & dairy. We'll see if a stricter diet helps. It's the sugars that get me-I love cake, cookies, ice cream, etc.

I'm trying to focus more on fruits right now then add in vegies.

For exercise: I'd like to get back to using the Wii Fit. Not sure why it's such a struggle to do it. I need to figure out how to start.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#25 of 152 Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM

OK, here we go!

Yesterday I walked for 20 minutes and rebounded for maybe 5 minutes I didn't really pay attention to food. Today, it's about the food too. I think I will work on going vegeterian this month. Eventually I would like to be raw vegan, but I am going to transition slowly.

Nina Wife to DH
#26 of 152 Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick note to share a big success for me! I had a really stressful day yesterday; fought with dh, my youngest was difficult because he's sick and has a bad case of diaper rash, kids fought all day, and then I got all sorts of complaints from the kids over the dinner I made for them because they didn't like that I had put a thin coating on the fish. Finally, my dh said that I could leave if I needed to, so I hopped in the car and headed out to get dinner for myself.

My usual habit when stressed out is to go straight to McDonalds for a BigMac, large fries and a large coke. But I am really determined to keep on my diet this time, and I also didn't want to come back here and have to admit that I had gone off my diet. So, I drove a few extra miles and went to Carl's Jr. instead and was able to stay on my diet by getting my burger low carb style (wrapped in lettuce instead of bread), not getting fries, and getting a large, plain iced tea instead of a coke. I felt great afterwards, proud of myself, and satisfied.

Well, that turned into a book instead of a short note, LOL, but I just wanted to share this!

We can do this!!!! Have a great day, mamas!!!

#27 of 152 Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM

joining in.

I want to lose between 60 and 80 lbs. I've lost 45 in the last 18 months (and had a baby!). I'm about 225 lbs at ~5'8". I went to the livestrong website and was amazed by how many calories it said I can eat and still lose! It was almost double what the MD told me. I had a feeling that part of the challenge was not getting enough calories and the # there confirmed that.
Until the last few weeks, I had been at the gym 5 days a week since May. Last few weeks I've not made it more than twice/wk. Need to get back to going. I'm running a 5K in 9 days.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#28 of 152 Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 PM

So, this morning a good friend of mine came in from out of town. He ended up taking me out for lunch to an all you can eat Chinese Buffet. Yeah, I went overboard with eating. I figured it would be my last big hurrah. We were going to go hiking, but those plans fell through, as he had to rush home.

There I was, feeling full and bloated, but I had the mindset that it was time to start getting in shape. I waited a few hours to digest, and then I got antsy. I pulled out my bicycle, only to discover it had a flat tire. Well, crap. I folded the seats down in the van, threw my bike in, and went down to the gas station to fill up the tires. A buddy of mine rode his bike down to meet me there. He helped me fill the tires up, and we decided we were going to go biking together. The guy, btw, is the same guy who lost all that weight from bicycling.

We placed my bike back in the van, and put my buddy's bike on top, then we headed up to my place. I decided today we'd take it easy, and do a quick ride around the neighborhood. Kind of a "test run" if you will. I mapped our ride, which was only about 1.4 miles. Not too difficult, I thought.

My friend and I took off. I ended up taking lead. I realized about a quarter of a mile into the bike ride that I live in a hilly neighborhood. I had no problems with the first few hills. I enjoyed a few coasts downhill. Then, that final hill just kicked my butt. I got to the top of the hill and I started to feel lightheaded. I started coasting, and then I saw stars. Oh, sugar! I swerved to the side of the road, hopped off my bike, and sat down on the curb, as my blood pressure continued to plummet (I have hypotension). My buddy was quickly by my side, blocking motorists' views as I vomited at the side of the road (about 2 blocks from home). There went my Chinese lunch.

So, what did I learn today? I do really enjoy bicycling, but next time I need to drink gatorade before/during exercise! We're doing it again tomorrow.
#29 of 152 Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Yesterday I rode my bike about 2 miles. In the rain. When I arrived at my friend's house, she had a change of clothes ready for me, and we sat around drinking coffee & wine, eating cookies (yeah, I took in more calories than I burned, I'm sure).

Last night, my friend and I walked to his place together. I helped him move some furniture around at his place, and then I walked home. It was a good 3.5 mile walk.

So, I stuck with it, even though I got soaked. I'm feeling optimistic.
#30 of 152 Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Dmitrizmom! I hear you about the amount of calories you’re supposed to eat. For some reason, doctors and other weight loss places always start people out with very low calorie intake(1200 a day or less), which immediately puts your body into starvation mode and lowers your metabolism. Daily Plate was a real eye opener for me, not only that I didn’t have to starve myself to lose weight, but also that i must have been really eating a huge amount of calories everyday to have gained as much as I did.

AtYourCervices, I’m sorry that your first bike ride ended badly. Good for you for getting out again, and at least you learned a good lesson about your body. May I suggest a Gatoraid alternative? You can dilute orange juice (or another hearty, natural juice, like concord grape) half and half with water and add a pinch of salt for a much healthier electrolyte replacement and carb replenishing drink. I think it tastes better too.

I’ve had a great week so far. This is the first diet I think I’ve ever gone on that I didn’t constantly think about food. Last night was the sabbath (we’re Jewish) and I decided that I had done so well this week that I was going to go ahead and have grape juice and challah with the rest of the family. Big mistake!!! I’ve been craving carbs all morning! I now know that I’m going to have to be very careful with the type of carbs I eat when I go back to eating them week 3. And, I’m going to have to learn to make whole wheat challah.

My weigh-in day is tomorrow. I’ll let you all know how I did. Cheers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page