September: CF and Primal Fitness- All Welcome! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hiya Ladies- trying to be more inclusive as I know lots are interested in the "Primal" type(www.marksdailyapple.com) workout plan, a Cf(www.crossfit.com) type plan or various others types of cross-training programs in between. The main focus is using your bodyweight or other functional type movements for weights- not isolation type moves. Various forms of cardio as well, especially intervals and sprinting. I would love to hear everyone else's workouts and hopefully motivate each other as we go!

My goals this week as posted on the last CF thread:
1 sprint session> done
1 biking session 1>done
1 long lifting session
2 short bodyweight sessions 1>done
1 endurance run(training for 5 k)
2 interval runs
3-6 leisurely walks 1>done

So far:
Mon- sprint- bodyweight session(pushups, squats, planks- pullups(negative and holds)
Tues- walk- biking(would like to get a longer session in at the park though)- some work on the monkey bars

We are loving being active lately especially with the break in the hot spell and looking forward for ideas of what others are doing.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

1 sprint session> done
1 biking session 1>done
1 long lifting session
2 short bodyweight sessions 1>done
2 interval runs>1 done
3-6 leisurely walks 2>done

So far:
Mon- sprint- bodyweight session(pushups, squats, planks- pullups(negative and holds)
Tues- walk- biking(would like to get a longer session in at the park though)- some work on the monkey bars

Wed- nature walk w/ kids- interval run about 25 min total

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

1 sprint session> done
1 biking session 1>done
1 long lifting session >done
2 short bodyweight sessions 2>done
2 interval runs 1>done

So far:

So far:
Wed- nature walk w/ kids- interval run about 25 min total

Thurs-longer bodyweight workout at the gym- mostly focused on core and lower body- I am sore today!
Fri- short bodweight workout- pushups, pullups, plank and overhead press

I think the week has went well so far but there is no way I will get in 2 more runs this week. I hope to get in another walk and 1 run. We were at the park all day today but not too much walking around- I was too busy visiting.

Still hoping and waiting for company here- all welcome!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

End of the week check in:
1 sprint session> done
1 biking session 1>done
1 long lifting session >doneor most
2 short bodyweight sessions 2>done
2 interval runs 1>done

No more done this weekend. Family reunion all weekend. In hindsight with the week I had my goals were a bit ambitious- I was out of the house for 5 days- for most all of the day. Started back hs'ing this week and had a HUGE family reunion. But a good week nonetheless. I ended up soooo sore Sat from that class on Thursday I couldn't walk right! Feeling wore out this afternoon so taking it off.

I am thinking I want to try this CF Beginner Program

Any takers????

Day 1:
3 rounds for time:
10 burpees
20 squats
30 situps

Day 2
Tabata intervals: 20 sec on 10 sec off- 8 rounds
pushups
situps
squats

Day 3
5 rounds for time
10 tuck jumps
15 back extensions

Day 4
Rest: practice skill

Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Hey crunchy_mama! I was just coming to look for our old thread and found the new one. I have been completely out of commission since Monday August 30th. I haven't worked out at all - I am having terrible dizziness and have been getting all kinds of tests done. I feel all of my hard work slipping away....

That CF beginner workout looks great to do at home. Sounds like a good option for you! I am hoping to get results back today and maybe start back at the gym tomorrow if I feel up for it.

I hope your family reunion was so fun and that you felt as good as you had hoped.

I am hoping that in addition to getting back into the gym, I can start to slowly move toward a better diet as well. I'll definitely join you on this thread!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Jend- glad to see you- hope you feel better soon! Hopefully whatever that is wrong is easily fixed.

I have just rode my bike this week, Monday as I have been fighting a cold. Finally today I feel back to normal(well almost all the way anyway). I think I will be able to work out for sure tonight. I hate taking a break but sometimes your body needs rest. Tonight I am hoping to do a bootcamp class.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and the reunion did go well and I got some nice compliments about how I looked just the same as before kids and how could I be so small. It felt good I am not gonna lie

Oh, and wouldn't you know luck though I am finally feeling up for taking a walk today w/ the kids but it is raining- and with my daughters cough it doesn't seem prudent to take her outside.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Workout this evening:
100 pushups(military style)
100 squats
200 ft walking lunges

Don't know how long it took exactly. I did my squats in 50 set, 2x 25 sets. Pushups were mostly in 10x sets, my arms are jello now! The lunges were brutal, man those are tough! I didn't want to do a big cardio work as I still don't feel 100% but hope to do more metcon tomorrow- somehow- don't know as it is supposed to rain until Sunday.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Workout Saturday:
45 min walk w/ kids- pretty leisurely pace
shovel glove : 7 different moves about 20 reps per side
6 sprints
Lots of playing, jumping, swinging, climbing, little work on pullups(trying to grease the groove w/ my new bands)

Overall great fun day!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

sun:
1 hr bike riding- practiced pullups- did 2 w/ band
some very slow, some very intense up hills
mon:
10 min shovel glove

Really meant to get a walk in yesterday but it was INSANELY BUSY. I didn't hardly have a minute extra until I went to bed at 9!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

tues:
1 hr walk w/ stroller
100 pushups/100 squats

pushups getting much better, now up to 20 a set but cannot do that for all the sets.

today I plan for a walk, some shovel glove and pullups

Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw a CrossFit place when we were visiting the Outer Banks, but I didn't work it in. I would definitely like to try it though.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hiya!

There are lots of sample CF workouts online that have little to no equipment. Also, marksdailyapple has lots of good info as well. I am currently doing some CF workouts on a Primal workout schedule. Lifting heavy(bodyweight) a couple times a week and aiming for 2-5 hrs of low intensity cardio- like walking, hiking, biking- sprints once a week. I guess that is it.

wednesday:
15 min yoga45min walk(pushing stroller and some pretty good hills!)
thursday:
1hr hike/walk w/ the kids in the woods fairly leisurely

Today going to do a big hike somewhere w/ the baby or the 3.5 y.o. on my back. Need to pump out a few pullups or something another go this week.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Had a big fun time the past two days, lots of hiking!

fri and sat: about 3 hrs or so hiking

Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 AM

Hi...I do CF style stuff on my driveway or at the parks. I really like a lot of the gymnastic/balancing type of stuff also so have recently been trying to work on a bar more often or integrating some yoga balancing poses into my sessions.

I like this site for coming up with workouts when I don't know what I will be doing.

Also I have noticed that when I am doing intense workouts, if I go three weeks on and 1 week at a taper pace then I can avoid burnout and stay feeling strong.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM

I know it's not Sept--please direct me elsewhere if there is an Oct. thread on this. But I want to join in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I am currently doing some CF workouts on a Primal workout schedule. Lifting heavy(bodyweight) a couple times a week and aiming for 2-5 hrs of low intensity cardio- like walking, hiking, biking- sprints once a week. I guess that is it.
This is totally what I want to do. I love the Primal Blueprint Fitness stuff, but I get BORED. And its not because I've surpassed the workouts in the ebook, its just that I want more variety at my beginner level. Crunchy, I love the link you shared to the beginner crossfit workout plan--I'm going to try and start w/ that, plugging the workouts into a primal schedule.

Any other awesome sites for folks just starting to look into crossfitting (and doing it at home? I don't see myself being able to get out to pay for it any time in the near future, but for equiptment I *do* have a pull up bar, and an ergo to throw my 40 lb kiddo in ). I feel like an idiot each time I pull up a site--so much lingo I don't understand...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, FR, hadn't checked in here forever, gave up on anyone joining me! I haven't done well the past few weeks w/ anything except for hikes, which we are still enjoying could use some encouragement myself.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM

I think hikes are awesome! Part of me thinks the most important part of PBF is the moving slowly aspect.

I'm excited to try some of the stuff from that beginner list. A couple days ago I did a 'ladder' (al la what I read in Robb Wolf's _Paleo Solution_) of push ups (some regular, some on my knees), pull ups (w/ a chair of course ) and squats--1:1:3. I started at 1:1:3 and ended at 9:9:27. Felt great! I also did the back extensions/tuck jumps from the beginner list yesterday. I feel that in my legs/butt today. Good stuff! I'm excited to learn more a/b all this!

I traditional foods
Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

So, you have Wolf's book? How do you like it? I have always enjoyed his info.

I really enjoy the moving slow part as well. For the very longest time I put no value in it from a fitness standpoint. However, these days I really do see the fitness and mental health value of it. We love family walks and I love doing fitness together as a family. We are certainly increasing our endurance and distance. A 'short' walk for us is an hr- and quite often we will be gone for 2 hrs or so. Today we did a nice one by the lake- I was certainly winded at the end it was some rugged terrain and a pretty fair incline at the end. I plan to do some pushups and squats this evening- trying to ease back in as I haven't done them in a few weeks. Tomorrow will be our night at the bike park and sprints(hoping the rain holds off).

What are your plans for the week? I like to do bodyweight stuff 2x a week. I want to do the shovelglove 1x this week and then 50 pushups/100squats/10 pullups another.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
So, you have Wolf's book? How do you like it? I have always enjoyed his info.

I'm undecided--check this thread for a wide variety of reviews: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...aleo-Solution_ I liked it for sure. The more recent criticisms in the above thread got me really thinking though. I still prefer the PB above all others as a good beginner manual. Not sure this one is necessary for someone who already knows about this stuff. I learned from it for sure, and am glad I have it (I'm a book collector for sure though). But I don't know if it is a great book for folks new to this, only because of a bit of disorganization/lack of clarity? I'm still thinking on this though...

I really enjoy the moving slow part as well. For the very longest time I put no value in it from a fitness standpoint. However, these days I really do see the fitness and mental health value of it. We love family walks and I love doing fitness together as a family. We are certainly increasing our endurance and distance. A 'short' walk for us is an hr- and quite often we will be gone for 2 hrs or so. Today we did a nice one by the lake- I was certainly winded at the end it was some rugged terrain and a pretty fair incline at the end. I plan to do some pushups and squats this evening- trying to ease back in as I haven't done them in a few weeks. Tomorrow will be our night at the bike park and sprints(hoping the rain holds off).

What are your plans for the week? I like to do bodyweight stuff 2x a week. I want to do the shovelglove 1x this week and then 50 pushups/100squats/10 pullups another.
I'm not sure. I'm not so good at making plans and sticking to them. (I actually love the making plans part--just not the second part. ) I'll probably do things off of that beginner's list as I feel like it. From what I've done so far, it *feels* like they are shorter workouts than PBF, which I like, but that might have me doing them a bit more often (3x a week?) if my body feels like it wants/needs it. We'll see. I did the Day 3 workout (5 rounds 10 tuck jumps, 15 back extensions) 2x so far, just to get the hang of the tuck jumps. I did it a couple days ago and then this am. I may do something that focuses on arms today as well b/c I feel like I need it--my body just wants it, you know? (I might do some push ups/pull ups--assisted ) I really want to add in more sprinting as well--I *always* skimp on that part. I'd like to take a walk sometime today as well...Ah so many options!!!

So, um, no real plans, probably will just wing it. *Maybe* I'll post what I do--although I typically do that for a few days and then stop. I'm terrible at recording stuff like this and diet. If I do anything really cool or fun I will post it for sure though, and will continue to check in here for ideas and info! I'd love to learn more about the basics of crossfit. I think I really NEED to read through the FAQs on the crossfit site so I can learn some of the lingo!

Off to do some push ups and pull ups--maybe 2 rounds of 20 (chair) pull ups, and 2 rounds of 30 (some real, some on the knees) push ups (al la my PBF routine). We'll see! Glad this thread is motivating me to change things up a bit!

ETA: Ds ended up waking from his nap right after I posted, so I didn't do the push/pull ups. BUT, we went to my mom's and helped her move furniture and some boxes (she's redecorating) and it was actually a good workout. I was glad I hadn't tired out on push ups b/4hand!

I traditional foods
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the review, checking that thread now.

That's ok, I am not the best with plans either. I did do 50 pushups/50 squats Sat and am still a bit sore!!!

Sun we did about a 2 hr + hike and a 30 min bike ride. Yesterday we did a 4.5 mile walk on the road at a pretty good pace- my feet are actually a bit sore.

Today I plan to take it kind of easy, maybe do some strength stuff.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Yesterday did my sprints () and then did TONS of walking. (Shopping for my b-day w/ my shopaholic mother--we were in the mall for 6 hours walking around, trying things on, etc. Not my favorite thing to do but it's AWESOME she's getting me some new clothes!

Today planning a long walk w/ ds. Not sure what else...we'll see!

I traditional foods
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Today I did the first workout on that beginner list:

3 rounds for time of:

10 burpees
20 squats
30 sit ups

I also did a lot of walking and running with the boys today. Went on a long walk, carrying one in the ergo for much of the time, then played tag and other chase games in the afternoon. Quite active--

I feel great too. I'm going to keep an eye on all this and continue doing the workouts from that sheet as I feel like it. I'm really liking the variety. (Although I am DREADING the tabata ones if I do them...I've got enough past experience w/ tabata to shudder at the mere thought of them...)

I traditional foods
Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a nice busy day. I too hate tabatas- I really need to do some though as it has been a while! I love walks too, I often have the baby in the Ergo as well, I love that thing, it is great for walking!

Yesterday I took off from anything formal, although we went to the park I mostly did mommy visiting. Today we went to the nature center and walked the boardwalk there, fairly leisurely for most of it. Then I took the kids to the park and played around. I did some crawling races wy / ds(courtesy of MDA's WOD)- man that was tough he stomped me. Then we did some running races and played tag some, I was spent!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 PM

Oh yeah--I wanted to do that auroch crawl! Maybe I'll try it tomorrow!

Today I did the 100 pushups for time on the list--I had my hands on a low bench outside, and did 60 pushups, 40 overhead presses (MDA PBF style). It was good. I did them in sets of 20/10s, whatever I could do while hanging w/ the boys. Then we did some running and playing games and went on a long (but pretty slow--2 tired 3yos walking most of the way) walk in the park. I carried my 40 lber part of the way in the ergo.

I'm on a good streak! And still feeling good (yay!) I like doing these really short workouts--they feel really doable and effective. YAY! I'm glad I found this thread!!

I reallty want to work on pull ups soon--maybe tomorrow? We'll see!

I traditional foods
Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Yesterday rest day.

This am:

4 rounds of

10 pull-ups/chin-ups (alternated each round, feet on a chair--used legs as needed )
30 walking lunges (15 each leg)
30 sit ups

Whew! I feel good! I didn't time it, but did my best to be quick w/ my ds laying on me while I did the sit ups and chasing me as I did the walking lunges.

I traditional foods
Old 10-30-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

2 rest days for me, not sure what I was thinking that I would get anything done as I had company yesterday.

You are doing awesome, I will do something today bodyweight related. All-in-all this week has been decent we did walking about 6+ hrs. Sprints one day and body weight one day. I just wish to have body weight exercises 2x a week.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 AM

I need to get out and walk more. The weather has gotten so cold and yucky here I don't feel like going out.

I'm exhausted today. I stayed up WAY too late w/ company last night. Not a good idea when you gotta get up w/ your kiddo (as all mamas know)...I may do nothing but hopefully take a nap w/ ds today (that would be really productive IMO!) Or I may try the auroch stalk, and a nap. My legs are hurting today though (prob from walking lunges and not sleeping/recuperating enough...)

We'll see!! Sounds like you are doing awesome too!

I traditional foods
Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 PM

I ended up doing 3 rounds of

10 push ups (some on knees)
20 sit ups (using an abmat-style rolled pillow--YOWZA!)
30 squats

Then 1 minute of the auroch stalk just to try it out--YIKES! I don't know how you did that for 5 minutes!

I traditional foods
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Good for you FR! I don't know if I did the crawl thingy right but it was hard anyway!

I had a bit of a bummer weekend- I am NOT sleeping. I am thinking as I haven't been 100% with the diet. I hate having to be so anal though, really I do. We did do a walk today. Yesterday was supposed to be our bike day but w/ no sleep it didn't happen

User Tag List