Dingos Back to School! ~ The Running Mamas Thread - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 537 Old 10-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Geo I found this. Why the heck do we not consider breast pumps? Not that you need one, but I do think very pertinent to Mothering's overall mission.
Infuriating, isn't it? Sunscreen is iffy depending on who you ask. Our HR docs say no, but the listing you found says it does count. Infuriating. If I can get sunscreen to count, then it suddenly becomes easier, as we go through ~$100 of the stuff a summer. If the goal is to help you preserve your health, then helmets and really bright biking and running lights should count, right? Even new running shoes should. But it's only to save taxes for people with high medical expenses. I get it. This time last year it was looking like we were spending 10% of my income on teeth.

Both your list and mine are clear that SPF clothing don't count. SPF clothing (which is $$) keeps E from getting serious rashes. But no, doesn't count.
#512 of 537 Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Geo, my info says that what is eligible is determined by the IRS, and my list has sunscreen. Seems odd that it would vary. Hmm, drugstore.com doesn't include sunscreen as FSA eligible. However, their FSA store might be worth browsing through. I think Walgreens does the same type of identification of FSA items on their website.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#513 of 537 Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Dental sealants?

Just saying, since M is getting two molars sealed Monday. Her constant snacking is getting at her teeth.

Can I just say, I had an excellent workout this morning? I am totally out of shape, but I can see a light. I think with 3 weeks of solid, consistent effort I will be back to feeling capable of running a few miles. Like 4 or 5 at a time.

First off, I totally bailed on work and decided to just spend what time I had at the Y. So I did 45 minutes on the elliptical (at a lower resistance than before, of course), followed by some weights for arms and core...when I spotted my SISTER running laps on the track! So I jumped in with her and ran another 20ish minutes, then did some work on the floor, hugged my sister and hit the shower!

No one has cavities, but dd's back teeth are starting, so here we go with the sealant. Gar.

Now, afternoon playdate/dinner with friends scheduled. Time to get hopping.
#514 of 537 Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Hmmm, sealants would count. Putting that on the kiddo dentist question list for next month. Thanks.
#515 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 12:08 AM

P.S. Penelope, I would look AWESOME in a pair of steampunk goggles and also some sort of helmet. Not that I need the helmet, but it would complete the look. Although, really, it may get to the point where I do need the helmet.
#516 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
Which leads me to think OK, if you don't completely fit the diagnosis, is there something else that explains the emotional side of Asperger's that does describe you? Which is what I couldn't ever get that therapist to see.
Sorry. I double-checked with my psychologist husband (can I abbreviate that as PH? ) and he said that empathy deficits are the hallmark of Aspergers. It's not that they don't have or feel emotions, but that they have a hard time identifying how other people will react emotionally.

The obsessive-interest/OCD thing is autism spectrum stuff, but it's not Aspergers per se. A variety of disorders can cause obsessive thoughts or behaviors, so Aspergers can be expressed that way but any obsessions are not diagnostic of Aspergers. If present, obsessions are a symptom one could have for any number of reasons. And if it's not necessarily obsessive, that doesn't exclude Aspergers.

That said, a second opinion would be helpful for *you* so I think it's worth pursuing. Plus, it's totally worth having someone who will answer your questions rather than blowing you off.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#517 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Real, your PH is a great resource!! Thanks!

I'm confused though, because from what I have been able to find of the DSM-IV criteria for Asperger's (by Googling and without laying eyes on the actual book), the second major criterion is as follows:

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

What I've read, and what the therapist said, were examples like someone who memorizes camera model numbers but doesn't care about photography, or someone who memorizes all bus routes but doesn't ride the bus. C definitely doesn't do stuff like that. So it seems like if you're missing a whole roman numeral of the DSM-IV criteria then how can you be diagnosed? I guess my bachelor's in psychology is getting dangerous here. If it doesn't matter and I can stop trying to figure out why I don't think this part describes my husband, well, that would change things significantly.

On another note, I have to admit to not having a clue what steampunk goggles are.

#518 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 AM

Home and exhausted, at last, after one very long day. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night after getting home from our dingo outing and getting my homework done for lab, then was up at 5:30 for lab this morning. At school all day, and then ran home just long enough to shower and get ready to head out for my hot date with drjen. Who totally rocks, btw. Not that y'all didn't already know that. We had a fantastic evening, and I even got to wear my sexy knee-high suede boots. And now my feet hurt. But it was worth it!

Time for sleep, we have a breakfast pajama party at the bounce house place at 9 am. Yes, 9.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#519 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 AM

eksmom, you have a lot on your plate. I can relieve one thing for you.

Going for a morning somethingerother. We have a very busy weekend ahead, and I almost think I need to save my energy.
#520 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM

I am continually amazed by the things that don't make it on to my radar. Thanks Geo. I'm still processing Lady Gaga's meat dress, which I first saw pictures of yesterday.

Up for 8:30 soccer game, haven't finished coffee, and little G is up and screaming for me. Sigh.

#521 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 AM

I like those steampunk googles. They are super nifty.

Mommajb, are you okay? Just want to give you a

Jo, I have a question for you. I was watching last night a (rather inflammatory) special on one of the networks about Islam. (note: I was not impressed by Diane Sawyer, her attitude, or the way they clearly edited comments). One of the interviewees is a Muslim American who may have converted, but has a Slavic sounding name (maybe Bosnian?). Anyway, she was wearing her hair covering in exactly the same style as I wear mine. Off the face, similar scarf (has silver/gold threads running through it), wrapped around her ponytail. Most of the other ladies wearing coverings were wearing theirs hijab-style. So my question is, is the Hijab style a culturally specific covering, or is it a religiously mandated style of covering? (i.e. if you cover, this is how you do it) I find this a very intriguing question for obvious reasons I only watched for a few minutes so I don't know if this was answered later on.
(I will say that the women interviewed came across as terrific, well-spoken, articulate, intelligent, and interesting women.)

Anyway. Went for a great 6 mile run this morning 'at pace.' Which is likely considerably faster than I'll be able to replicate in a full marathon but felt good nonetheless. Fall has come to Florida...which means the morning temps are nearly human (in the 70s) and the humidity is a lot less intense. The difference this makes is astounding, really. Being able to breathe is really excellent.

11 on tap for tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I have a spa day planned...going to get my haircut (very long time coming!) and also a wax and a pedicure. Go, me.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#522 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Nic, this is a great illustration of how Islam isn't monolithic. I often cover my hair in the way you describe. Where I lived in Morocco, and among many of my ILs, this is how the women wear their scarves. It's not atypical in many, many groups throughout the world, esp in N Africa, E Europe, Eurasia...

OK. However.

The Quranic command is to take your veil (which points to the likelihood most women were wearing them at the time) and cover your "bosom" with it (which points to the possibility they were wearing decorative veils but displaying a lot of breast, plus wearing noisy jewelry to draw attention to themselves in public). Along with that, women are commanded not to "strike their feet" (which tinkles the jewelry and shakes the softer parts, kwim?) When I pray I'll throw a second scarf/veil around the whole lot. (You may see "prayer outfits" for sale that offer this functionality.)

We're instructed on what must be covered. There are Hadith that say everything but hands, face and feet. There are also questions about the validity of these Hadith. Several stories illustrate Muhammad (sws) telling people he won't answer their questions because when you respond to a command with a question, you're asking for greater restriction/limitations.

So, we know what to cover for modesty, and the "hijab" style has become something of the identifiable uniform. Personally, I can't wear that style daily because I need a lot of air/sun to prevent a massive fungal bloom on my neck that spread to chest and face. As we say, Allah knows best.

In other news, dd and I are spending the day, since ds was spirited away last night by a dear friend. So, We're going to the Y where I will work out while she plays in the play area, and then carrying out as much of our "tourist" plan as we can. Temps in the 50s which would be great for a run, but my knees and ankles are asking me to take this slowly. Should be a nice day.
#523 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks Jo!
That really goes far in answering my question. Interestingly, we have similar halachot (laws) that speak to the same issue in terms of what needs to be covered, how, etc. -- and these are also sometimes 'controversial' in the sense that different rabbis will interpret them in slightly different ways. In the same vein as 'be careful what you ask for' a direct question is often deflected in the sources and responded to with advice rather than a 'ruling.'

(And also interestingly there is a Talmudic passage about the women of First Temple times -- before 586 BCE -- trying to attract men by 'clicking their heels'. I guess some things are pretty common! -- this passage also mentions that women of the time sometimes put perfume/spices in their shoes so that this clicking didn't only jiggle their bodies but sent up a waft of scent to attract men.)

Okay, I'm trying to air out my house. we don't have many windows because the whole back side of the house has glass sliding doors in each area. No screens because they face the screened-in porch/lanai where the pool is. It's beautiful out and I need to get rid of the canned air and cycle in some fresh air. However i don't particularly want a family of lizards coming in to take up residence which is what happens when I leave the sliders open. Gah.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#524 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 AM

It is kinda funny, isn't it, Nic? We need to just flippin' get over ourselves and get along already. I was reading last night before bed, and it's expressly written that we (Muslims) don't have the monopoly on goodness. Nor do we have a monopoly on sweet scarves.

Have a great day, Dingo-ladies!
#525 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Can I just say, that for this mama living in suburban Nebraska, the dingos are *such* a welcome reminder that we live in a world bigger than suburban Nebraska? Y'all are a balm to me.

Am going to try a run today... I'd planned afternoon playdates, and morning cleaning plus run, but am ending up with one playdate starting at 9:30 and lasting until 2, and one starting at 1 and lasting until 4. Luckily dh is home and we'll trade off and on w. groceries, errands etc. and I can probably get a nice afternoon run in. Maybe I'll take dd with me on her bike.

So, yeah. The cleaning.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#526 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Funny, 'cause I was going to say an aviator helmet to go with the steampunk goggles, but wasnt sure I had the goggles right. Thanks Geo

Oh my g-d my leg HURTS. I am so f&*^&*# sick of being injured. Its been nearly three years of one injury after another. I have spent months in PT, months sitting on my a** waiting, hour upon hour of pt exercises I have somehow, in that same time, developed an inner ear problem so that I cant swim anymore b/c the head-turning makes me want to hurl (uh, even thinking about it to write that, bleh), so swimming is out. Fine, I didnt swim all that much (even though I dreamed of doing a tri when after that last pregnancy). When I do my meditation every day, I do mind-body thinking ala louise hay. I mean, the thing I have cared the most about in my life, besides the obvious, is running and being physical. This is so not o.k. I have been depressed more than not about it for nearing 2 1/2 years, and its exhausting! SIGH. Now my leg is where it was two weeks ago. Im sitting here with ice ... again. So, what, I wait again for 6 more months!

ok, vent over

(can you tell dh is gone and I have no one to b**** to?)

...yes I realize that thinking about my leg while I meditate isnt exactly the point of meditation

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#527 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Meanwhile, I have a spa day planned...going to get my haircut (very long time coming!) and also a wax and a pedicure. Go, me.
You go!

On that subject, can you talk to me about waxing ya'll. Ive never done it. Have thought about it. Pain? Ingrowns? Awkwardness with the aesthetitian? TMI; I had a hormone imbalance as a teen which led to more hair on my upper leg than most women that is not so heinous I dont go out in a bathing suit, but enough to make me self-conscious my whole life. Turns out I cant get it lasered b/c the follicle is too light despite the hairs themselves being dark brown (I am blond); double So, considering waxing, but scared...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#528 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 12:10 PM

I too would like to hear about the waxing.

Sparkle~what does it mean that the follicle is "too light" for laser?? ALso VERY sorry about your injuries. I too have been struggling for year/s, so long I can't remember. Whenever it was that I did the Chicago Marathon, since then. It is maddening. Doing the hard core body weight work outs have really helped me though. FWIW.
#529 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM
bec

Back from the gym. I did the heavy weights like I did the other day, and then ran my 25 minute C25K, to complete week 7! It was a pretty good run, although my legs were pretty tired from the lifting, so I was running slower than have been. I figure it's good to have something that forces me into an easier run. It was still just a little slower than 10 minute pace, though, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

I would also like to hear about waxing. I'm a big baby when it comes to hair pulling pain, so have shied away from it for that reason.

Can I echo Penelope's sentiments about the bigger cultural world, and how the Dingos remind me how we should treat other cultures!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#530 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
I too would like to hear about the waxing.

Sparkle~what does it mean that the follicle is "too light" for laser?? ALso VERY sorry about your injuries. I too have been struggling for year/s, so long I can't remember. Whenever it was that I did the Chicago Marathon, since then. It is maddening. Doing the hard core body weight work outs have really helped me though. FWIW.
I went to see a laser removal person (I actually got consults from several, but this one was a RN who has her own machine/business and also does electrolysis). She speculated that I wouldnt be a good candidate based on the lightness of the hair - even though many of the hairs are dark, some are light - b/c the follicle needs to have dark pigment so that the laser is attracted to it. So she electrolysized quite a few hairs from my legs, which removes the follicle, and looked at the pigment of the follicle. They were all light/blond (even the dark hairs). The other companies I consulted were larger and I suspect less interested in individual results. The thing w/ laser hair removal is that you sign a waiver acknowledging that results vary dramatically and for some people it doesnt work and it might not work for you and they dont know why. After seeing her I decided no to pursue it. So now, I could either get electrolysis, which is much more effective than lasers, but slower and more $, or just wax and hope it is true that in time the hairs grow back sparser and thinner

Thanks too. I do a lot of weights/strengthening to prevent injury, and it definitely helps me feel more stable and less twinge-y and have less pain, but its the "injuries" that happen from seemingly nothing. Prior to PT thurs. I felt great! I must have done something at PT to aggravate it, but something that wasnt noticeable at the time which is what I dont understand. How does a gentle stretch feel good at the time and then two hours later Im throbbing in pain? How do I rehab if I cant even predict what to do/not do? Thats the wheel Ive been on. So frustrating. Seems like it should be utterly straightforward.

#531 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 PM

eksmom--honestly, I have no idea how the DSM criteria works, so I'll ask DH, who's out with R at the moment. We're planning to head to the mountains this afternoon, so it probably won't happen until Sunday night or so.

sparkle--I hope your leg feels better soon.

OK, time to eat a quick lunch and fit in a quick run to Jo-Ann's with J. I have a 50% off coupon and I think I'm going to make one of those fairy canopy thingies for R for Christmas. If I buy everything a part at a time with coupons, it should be super-cheap, right?

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#532 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM

sparkle ~ I am right there with you on the injury merry-go-round. It sucks, hard. Just when I thought my leg "might" be getting better, it's burning, aching and generally irritated today . Do you have an actual diagnosis for yours? On another note, with your DD in mind, we went to the climbing gym today and DS rocked it! He had so much fun and now wants to have his 9th birthday party there at the end of October !

I ran my 20 minutes straight yesterday. It felt great while running, but awful afterwards and since. Blugh.

DH is home for the weekend and all is well again. The house we are building now has windows and a fully shingled roof! They're moving fast! It's raining out, for the first time in over 70 days ! I never thought I'd be so happy for rain!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#533 of 537 Old 10-02-2010, 08:28 PM

ladies.....it's...

ctber !

someone who is much more clever than I needs to start a new thread...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#534 of 537 Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 AM

Oy. I would attempt to start the new thread, but I'm so tired I'm pretty sure I would screw it up, so I'll just keep posting here.

On waxing...back when I had reason to, I was a regular waxer. I started out when we lived in NJ several years ago with a fairly modest waxing done just by pulling the undies aside a little. And then we moved to Colorado. And my new waxer was Eastern European. And let me tell ya, those Eastern European ladies...well, let's just say she was as familiar with me as my OBGYN is. It was kind of mortifying at first since I'm pretty modest (or used to be anyway!) but I got used to it. The pain never really bothered me. It hurts when they rip the wax off, but that goes away really quickly, and afterwards, I've never had more than a faint sting. A good waxer will usually apply something to help with the skin irritation afterward. I do tend to get some ingrowns, but much less than I do when I shave, and I don't get nearly as badly irritated as I do when I shave. I would love to do laser hair removal one day, but that's one of those things that's gonna have to wait until I have money again (hopefully)...

So, it's been an awesome few days, but I am completely and utterly wiped out. Drjen and I had a fantastic time at dinner and the symphony last night, and then I had to be up early this morning for a bday party. BF's DD turns 5 on Monday, and she booked the bouncy place for a party and apparently it's significantly cheaper if you do it before 10 am. Therefore, breakfast pajama party at 9 am. It was fun, the kids had a great time, she served donuts instead of cake, but mama is TIRED. I dropped DS back off at X's after the party, came home, got a quick run in, took a short nap, and then had to go back out for an Ironman celebration party for my friends who finished IM Wisconsin a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun, but I just haven't had much downtime and have had zero study time.

12 mile run with a friend on tap for the morning, and then I need to buckle down and get some stuff done. I still need to finish the cleaning I didn't get done on Thursday, and of course, two tests to study for...

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#535 of 537 Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Also avoiding new thread responsibilities.

RR: got a nice 4.2m in last night... no significant knee/IT band pain, although I felt a little bit twinge-y. Going to rededicate myself to yoga and stretching, but I am so, so happy that a. I can run b. I know what to do to get myself back on track.

Now off to drive a vanful of students to my church for a field trip plus potluck. I'm positive it will inspire my kids to be... energetic ... to have a dozen students join us for church. Oy, vey...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#536 of 537 Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM

WIMPS

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#537 of 537 Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page