Dingos Back to School! ~ The Running Mamas Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um, hi.

Hope all goes okay with the nanny searches. I have a friend who just mentioned she'd be willing to move for a full-time nanny job, and she is AMAZING. But she would need full-time, or something close to it.

Anyway....hi there. I think I skipped August with this thread, but I keep up with y'all on Facebook pretty good and that is nice. I'm marathon training....it's in 9 weeks
, trying to keep up with my job (partner out of town again for 2 weeks next week, double ) and feeling like I'm just sort of keeping up with parenting. But my kids seem to be in a good place these days so that's by the grace of God as far as I see it! Dh is home a lot these days; he took a pay cut and is actually working less which has been fantastic but I'm feeling the pressure as breadwinner as some of you all do too, I know.

hope all is well, I don't know when I'll get to duck in again but had time on the holiday between cleaning (mommabelle and HBM are coming for dinner!) and messing around that I thought I would say hi. love and peace to you mamas!
#62 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM

modmom~I don't get anywhere NEAR 500 miles on my shoes. More like 300. I know that, in theory, I should be able to get more miles, but I really feel them start to break down around 300. As soon as I have a run where I feel like they're starting to go, I go check my tracker, and sure enough, I usually have at least 275 miles on them. I'm kind of in a dilemma right now, as I have right around 200 on my current shoes, which will take me over 300 probably DURING my marathon. I think I'm going to have to buy a new pair sooner rather than later, and just rotate the older pair in on shorter runs.

Fun time this morning volunteering at my track coach's 10 mile race. One of these years, I'll actually run it. It's a really fun race, going through 4 major parks in town. I worked raceday packet pick-up, then headed for the finish to spectate. The winning man breezed across the finish in 50 and change (like 5:03 pace, I think), and honestly looked like he wasn't even sweating!! Craziness. Several women from my track group were running it, and one of my good friends who I haven't seen for awhile, so lots of fun cheering. Now I think I may take a quick nap before heading out for a ride. My hips are still a bit sore from Saturday's 18, so I'm hoping a bike ride will shake them out a bit.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#63 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Hi all!

Penelope, I'm surprised that rabbi was so black and white about the Torah view of evolution. There are actually a few ways of looking at it, but in general there's nothing in the Hebrew text of Genesis (B'reishit, which literally means "At the beginning") that negates the current scientific theories of the big bang or how life developed on earth. Hebrew is an incredibly nuanced language, and each syllable and letter placement, the spaces between the letters, the roots of the words, the words in contexts, the vowel sounds that go with the letters (there are no vowel letters in Hebrew, only diagraphic ? marks that indicate how it is to be pronounced, but you wouldn't know those unless you really knew the language) -- all have significant meaning. So even someone unfamiliar with those nuances who could translate at surface level would not be able to really grasp the many layers of the text.

All that to say that there are two different, or really complimentary, viewpoints on this. The first is, our understanding of time is significantly different than the Divine and so the descriptions in the first chapters of the Torah reflect time divisions that would not be what we know of as 'days' now. That clearly has to be the case anyway, because it wasn't til the third or fourth 'day' that the sun was even created IIRC. And those divisions could well reflect millions of years.

Also, and this is a complimentary explanation -- the Torah is concerned with the spiritual age of the universe/humans, not the physical one. Adam was the first human who had prophecy -- it's pretty widely understood in Torah scholarship that there were other sentient beings before him (otherwise why would Kayin -- Cain -- have built a city? for whom?).

On the other hand, Torah Judaism definitely does not support the notion that humans are the descendants of apes or some such. It certainly does support the idea that humans have a gift of Divine 'breath' (free will, a sentient soul); that we are related to the animal kingdom but not of it; that we have a responsibility to the Earth in general in all its manifestations (animal, vegetable, mineral, atmosphere, etc.). Generally Torah scholars would question why, if humans have evolved from apes, apes still exist in discrete species, etc.

Evolution is still a fairly new scientific theory (as these things go -- Torah has been around 3,000 years, so Darwin is still a baby as far as that's concerned) and I think most Torah scholars would say that while there are definitely merits to the ideas behind the theory, it doesn't necessarily reflect the ultimate truth about human origins. And as scientific theories tend to change and be amended over time, I would put myself squarely in the ballpark of "who knows?"

What I consider to be unfortunate is this division between religiously intense people who reject the science without a truly deep understanding of what the actual Torah text says and means. And what is worse, that has seeped into Orthodox Jewish culture -- which it wouldn't have a generation ago. Our own textual tradition is by necessity much more nuanced than the translation-specific Western understandings of the Christian view of the "Old Testament." But because of the cultural isolation into which many religious people put themselves in rejection of the mass/pop culture which is seen as decadent, plenty of those who really should know better, given their exposure to Torah learning, have become unable to evaluate complex, sophisticated ideas and instead are doing these knee-jerk reactions.

On the other hand of course, there have been several Nobel-laureate Orthodox Jews in the sciences who have worked on these huge questions. Which is super cool. And plenty who are not Nobel prize winners but still find no contradiction into delving into the mysteries of the scientific universe with the understanding and awe at all that G-d created in its amazing complexity.

On shoes:
So, I have not really loved my Brooks Adrenalines that I bought in the spring. I'm ready for a new pair of shoes. I had really liked my New Balance 1063 w/ orthotic insert (store bought) combination but that's seriously pricey. Around 18 months ago I had the Asics GT something-or-other (a number) and I think I liked them, but I wasn't doing the kind of mileage I have been. What to do?! If I go get fitted it's going to be an expensive day! but maybe it's necessary. I feel a little ridiculous, going to get fitted every time I need shoes, but nothing has been optimal at the right price yet.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#64 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Nic, that was amazing. Thank you so much for the insights there - my dabs of Hebrew aren't up to a deep analysis of the text. I really appreciate it!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#65 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 08:21 PM

22 mile bike ride, check! 2 hour nap, check! Peach shortbread in the oven, check! Only two more peaches left in the crisper...

Still to come, mass studying of pharmacology and welcoming my world traveler son back home. Ok, so maybe he's only a North American traveler, but he HAS been to Mexico.

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#66 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM

And sitter #2 has accepted the job. Whew. We were just wondering if the daycare center nearby that smells like poop could take the kids on a day's notice...

Whew.

Let's hope she shows up, right?

Looks like my collaborator is losing his house right now in the CO fire. He's safe, but knows nothing about his house - just that the town has been abandoned by fire crews, and his house was in the path.
#67 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM

I was reminded of this today, so I am going to mention it now so hopefully we can all join in on 9/24 (or 9/25 if Sat is better). Each year the Dingoes memorialize our dear Patti Ann's ds, Griffin, who was born silently. His birthday would have been 9/24, so we chose that day for each of us to run a virtual 5k in his honor as well as to honor all our babies born silently.

I have art somewhere to commemorate; sometimes people have printed it out to pin to their shirts. I will post it here when I find it. It's great for everyone to feel like we're running together and supporting each other through our trying times.

DrJen - would it be appropriate to add it to the race list as a special line item? It would be great to help us remember, I think, but only if it feels right.

thanks

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#68 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
DrJen - would it be appropriate to add it to the race list as a special line item? It would be great to help us remember, I think, but only if it feels right.
Yes, please do.

Thanks, poppy.
#69 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Jo ~ It looks as though DH may be out of town for business when you need me, but I am still interested. Keep me posted.

Poppy ~ Yes, I want in on the memorial run. Thank you for remembering and sharing.

No running here this weekend. Lots of time with family, outside, in the kitchen, and just having fun. I hope you all had good Labor Day weekends.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#70 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM

I was just thinking about Griffin and the run for him today. Thanks for the reminder.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#71 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 PM

I will probably be running my 22 miler on 9/23, and I will do it for Griffin.

I just turned into the stream of the police scanner of the Boulder fire. The smoke plume was totally visible down here in Denver. A friend who lives east of Boulder has ash falling at her apartment. It's insane how big an area it is, and pretty populated. One of the areas evacuated is the one with the giant hill that you all have heard me talk about as part of the Boulder Peak triathlon. Will keep for your colleague, geo. Not getting any really good info, but estimates range from hundreds to thousands evacuated and tens to hundreds of structures lost. Scary stuff.

Time to study some pharmacology...

#72 of 537 Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 PM

Just jumping in here to report no forward motion ... well, a steep short hike that actually worked my legs yesterday, and then today, hanging out like tourists, partly at a hip little toy store with a play structure outside where I sat 5 feet away from J.R. (currently starring in Eat Pray Love) and her hubby while they watched their kids. Surreal. She is beautiful, her kids were adorable. I was totally starstruck - not staring, but wanting to very badly

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#73 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Definitely running for Griffin.

Sparkle, that's pretty nifty. I'd be starstruck too.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#74 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 AM

sparkle ~ ooooh! J.R.! I think I'd have been staring (or wanting too) as well!

Gaye ~ scary fire out there. Thinking of all you Coloradans.... .

I'll also do the Griffin memorial run.

DH left last night again to go back to Illinois. We had such a nice weekend with him. He spent the afternoon yesterday teaching DS and DD1 some mad soccer skills . They both start soccer this week and are so excited to play, thanks to Dad's enthusiastic coaching !

We had a new wildlife sighting this weekend too ~ a coyote in our backyard... TWICE ! I think it might have been what beat up my old cat so badly about a month ago. We're not even way out in the country.

Biked 20 miles yesterday morning, but managed to eat my way through the weekend (stress, anxiety, DH being home, who knows...) Back on the wagon again today.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#75 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Things may settle down this week. The kiddos seem to be evening out in their routines. I have been reading and running and will do the Griffin 5K.

Geo, I hope your sitter works out.

Jo, enjoy Germany. My time there was incredible.

I just turned down a near perfect slot for Linus. I absolutely enjoyed my visit. It was full days but I want two-three hour days for preschool, not daycare. I am not sure what I am thinking but he can handle another year with me and who knows what will happen a year from now.

I also make it about 300 miles in a pair of shoes.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#76 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmom View Post
Bec--It looked like you said you were thinking of the zoo last Friday--Was that Brookfield? Cuz we were there.
We had planned to go to the zoo on Friday. Unfortunately, Katie came down with a fever. The good news is that we were able to go yesterday, so we had a labor day zoo visit. It was nice. Of course, now Emily is sick.

Shoes - I only get about 250 miles out of my shoes. I should get different shoes.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#77 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Morning, Dingos!

Geo- Good luck with the sitter! I hope for the best!

JG- it sounds like a nice weekend.

Jen, KERC, Jo- So.. one of the reasons we have been so short of cash is that XH stopped paying child support about 6 months ago. Suddenly, this month he's paying again. ? Whatever, I'll take it. So, with that revelation- I may be able to swing a trip after all! It might need to wait until October.
Any opinions on that? Best times? Worse times?

No running happened this weekend. I am hoping for a short run today, then getting serious tomorrow morning! I've managed to get back on the strength training wagon, now to get back to running! I'm so excited for this cool weather!
#78 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Nemesis ~ I think I'd look into peak Fall colors. Usually in MQT it's mid-October. We usually go up to see MQT and Munising in the Fall...

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#79 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Nick: I am about your son peeing on the tree.

JayGee--so glad you're back to running!

tjsmama--glad you had a good 18. I think Westminster does some of those marathon training runs like that too.

Penelope--what are you going to do about the fridge? That's awful!

Geo--yay for finding a sitter. I'm so sorry about your collaborator's house. That fire is terrible, though I'm not surprised because the wind in the mountains was fierce yesterday. We were on the other side of the Divide, so we didn't even know there was a fire until we came back down. The sky is all grey to the north and we've got some ash debris at my house, located halfway between Denver and Boulder.

Had a pretty good weekend in the mountains. The highlight may have been my awesome 9-miler, which included a 430 ft elevation gain at 8000 ft elevation. I felt really good during all of it, and particularly once I turned off the main road to run alongside a dirt road. The road runs down to a reservoir and campsite, but there's a lot less traffic now that the boat launch is closed to all motorized boats.

Hoping to fit 2 in before I pick up R from school. She's having major sensory issues and only wants to wear summer dresses, but it's getting cool. After spending an hour on what-to-wear angst, I told her we could stop by the consignment shop in the way home and see if we can find some stuff that she'll not end up screaming is uncomfortable. Hopefully. One of the horribly uncomfortable things today were a brand-new pair of capri leggings, which she claimed were too too tight on her legs. And she has stick-thin legs. :roll

After that, we'll have a quick dinner and head to the PTA meeting and the "state of education in Colorado" presentation that will follow. And if I'm really good, I'll do some core work and push-ups tonight.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#80 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Ok, my day: fridge still broken; the generic repair guy advised asking the Sears repair guy to come. Which he will. On Saturday. sigh... we're using a mini-fridge I bought for work to keep milk in.

Someone threw up in class. Just - I can't even go there. Poor girl. Poor the rest of us.

One of my colleagues apparently spent a year in prison for a Ponzi scheme, wrote a book about it, and was not sparing in his disclosure of icky details (sex with a prostitute, anyone?) I had no idea until today, and am kind of bowled over.

I have people coming for dinner tomorrow, and my house is basically clean but my yard is a mess and I no longer care. Yes, I have had one warm gin and tonic (warm tonic, warm gin, no ice...)

Now off to make chicken, which chicken is currently stored in my mini-fridge...

#81 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM

First pharmacology test is in the books. It was easy, which makes me really that I missed two (and didn't get the extra credit). One of them was kind of stupid that I missed (combined with a bit of trickery), and the other two I had down to a 50/50 and picked wrong. I'm kind of worried that on an EASY test, I missed two (out of 25). Oh well. All A's are not essential for being a good nurse, right?

DS is currently passed out in my bed. He was acting pretty tired when I got home, so I persuaded him to lay down, which entailed ME laying down for awhile, too. So I got a brief nap in, not a terrible thing. My babysitter for track in the morning just cancelled, which is not an altogether terrible thing, as it will give my (now very, very purple) toenail and blister another day to heal and I can stay up a bit later to study tonight since I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

rr~5 miles with a classmate after pharm. We explored a bit, which was kind of fun, although it was hotter than I anticipated and, genius that I am, I wore a black shirt. My legs feel pretty tired, so I'm thinking taking the day off tomorrow might not be the worst thing ever. I guess I could get up and run with the stroller early, but I just made an appointment for DS to get his haircut and then he has his first day of preschool. Maybe I'll get motivated to go out while he's at school. Maybe.

#82 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 PM

My kids have now been introduced, first hand, to anti-Semitism.

At school today (a Montessori where the school is ostensibly very ecumenical, open-minded, embracing of diversity etc...and it is, but not all the kids have apparently got the message) in aftercare (which they go to on Tuesday afternoons b/c I have a staff meeting) some kid called my son "cap-head" and when ds asked, what do you mean, the kid said, "you wear a stupid jew-hat on your head."

Then dd1's new best friend seemingly has an older brother who told her (the friend) she shouldn't be friends with dd1 because we are "Jesus killing Jews."

The worst part? The older brother is one of my students. A more mild mannered kid I could not expect -- bright, friendly, and engaged. And his mom works at the school and is, although relatively uneducated (she's support staff, not an educator) very sweet and I wouldn't think at all responsible for such thinking. I can't understand where it's coming from but I'm devastated for my kids.

Bound to happen, I suppose. But the loss of innocence is heartwrenching.

#83 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Oh Nic, I'm so sorry. for your family and especially your kids.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#84 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Nic, that's so awful. I'm so sorry. How are your kids doing?

#85 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM

My little guy doesn't really get it. I know he realizes that somehow what the kids said wasn't nice, or a very unpleasant tone, but he doesn't really get why he was insulted. The girls understood though, they were a lot more bothered by it but also so shocked. The upside of having lived in a cultural/religious bubble for the majority of their years is that they feel no minority 'shame' yet, as I always did. They were always in Jewish neighborhoods, Jewish schools...until a year ago. My oldest was upset but also because she really desperately wants a best friend -- her friend is a sweet girl who said she loves all people even people who are 'different' and doesn't understand her brother. So dd1 is clinging to that. Sigh. But she was definitely upset...she's an intense and deep kid and I know she is turning this over in her mind.

I am feeling very mama bear-ish, wanting to grab my kids and just be ... somewhere else. It doesn't help that I'm already ambivalent about this job and not homeschooling...

#86 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Oh, Nick That makes me so . I'm sorry, mama.

ETA I get you on the minority shame. We're in more a fishbowl than bubble where we live, so taking pride in our tradition is an everyday drill. And it gets knocked down so easily.
#87 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
bec

Oh, Nic. My heart breaks for your sweet babies. Because this happened in after care, I would think this would be the responsibility of the school to address. I would not be able to keep my mama bear quiet.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#88 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Oh Nic . That's just awful. I'm so sorry.

I just spent well over an hour getting DD2 to sleep. She's got a cold and kept coughing herself awake, in spite of being absolutely exhausted. I'm not tired at all, oddly, but I fear she'll wake up if I don't join her in my bed, asap. Well, as soon as I finish my glass of wine!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#89 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 11:07 PM

Nic that is so awful. So, so very awful.

Met Erin's teacher tonight. Very impressed. Her belief is that a 2nd grader's homework should be to play outside every day. I'm inclined to agree. There was, however, a parent there who was pissed she couldn't send cookies for snack and that her kid wouldn't get homework each day.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#90 of 537 Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Nic, I'm so sorry about your kids. What is being done about those kids? Does your school have some sort of anti-bullying or pro-tolerance policy? Can you hunt down the kids' parents and smack them around? I hope your DD's friend will continue to stand by her and ignore her brother, although as a teacher for that boy I don't know if I'd be able to let it go and treat him nicely in class. Ugh, I'm so terribly sorry for the whole situation.

No running today; it was our last day of vacation and we had a plumber coming over again to figure out why water was spewing into our basement every time we ran the shower or flushed the toilet. DH used this as an excuse to skip work (because he couldn't figure out how to get clean without running the shower in the usual way, a skill I could have taught him...), so I stuck him with the plumber all day.

I took the kids and cruised around town to do errands--pick up DD's school bus pass, buy new ballet slippers, get coffee and donuts, talk to the super-condescending hardware store guy about our chainsaw issues. I said in my introduction to the conversation "we borrowed a chainsaw from someone. We don't know ANYTHING about chainsaws and need some help cleaning it out." So, dude, getting mad and taking an attitude with me and treating me like I'm a moron when you see that I didn't put the right kind of oil into the chainsaw is just off-putting. At least he didn't pull out the instructions to "have your husband...." like the Lowe's people did once.

Tonight we played mini-golf and ate ice cream, which was my parents' tradition the night before my brother and I started a new school year.

Tomorrow begins my year of freedom. Well, two and a half hours of freedom four days a week, excluding vacations. I'll take what I can get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page