Addicted to.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this may sound funny, but I think I am addicted to butter/fats.
I don't eat it everyday, but when I do I use a lot....
Has anyone completely given up butter/vegan butter, etc...
I mean if I have it on toast I have a lot.
Any advice would be lovely.
#2 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I sort of know what you mean. I LOVE butter. And I love to spread it really thick on toast. I'm a big believer that whole foods that aren't real processed are healthy though. So I would never give up butter entirely. I buy grassfed butter because it's a source of vit A D and K. I am trying to lose weight though and butter has a lot of calories, so I am learning to gradually reduce portion size. I find that a little is better than none for me.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#3 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Fats are important to our body. We need them to function. The min. that I've read is 2 teaspoons a day.

I prefer olive oil to animal fat, though.

I think that part of the problem you might be having with binging is that you aren't giving your body what it needs, so you crave it, so you eat WAY too much.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM

This is just your body telling you that you need more fat, I get at least 60% of my calories a day from fat and have lost weight steadily doing so, in fact when my husband and I switched to high fat, low carb eating in march he was 225 pounds, he is now 180 and looks and feels fantastic. I however still have 20 more pounds to get rid of but I am still breastfeeding and I think that is keeping the last bit of weight on me. Eat butter and fat its good for you!
#5 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo0685 View Post
This is just your body telling you that you need more fat, I get at least 60% of my calories a day from fat and have lost weight steadily doing so, in fact when my husband and I switched to high fat, low carb eating in march he was 225 pounds, he is now 180 and looks and feels fantastic. I however still have 20 more pounds to get rid of but I am still breastfeeding and I think that is keeping the last bit of weight on me. Eat butter and fat its good for you!
Thanks I will do some research on this.
#6 of 16 Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM

I keep hearing that fats are good for you (especially animal fats) but how do they effect your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc? I get that you can lose weight while eating them, but how do they effect your body long term?

It just seems to go against a lot of research. and not just research about losing weight, but generally accepted medical research.
#7 of 16 Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 AM

The primal blueprint my Mark Sisson (spelling might be wrong) is by far the best book I have read on eating lots of good fat. There is also a movie called my big fat diet that is about eating a low carb diet with plenty of good fat, I can't recall who made it though. But the book will be much more helpful than a movie.
#8 of 16 Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june'smom View Post
I keep hearing that fats are good for you (especially animal fats) but how do they effect your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc? I get that you can lose weight while eating them, but how do they effect your body long term?

It just seems to go against a lot of research. and not just research about losing weight, but generally accepted medical research.
I'm with you. I get most of my fat from plant sources, such as olive oil. It works for me -- I'm in my mid 40's and just got my blood work done and it was super.

#9 of 16 Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I'm with you. I get most of my fat from plant sources, such as olive oil. It works for me -- I'm in my mid 40's and just got my blood work done and it was super.
Me too. Eating copious amounts of animal fats seems to be a new fad, and I just can't get on board with it. Don't get me wrong, I eat quite a bit of fat, about 40% of my 3000 daily calories come from fat, but it's all plant based (and plenty of it is saturated, from nuts and chocolate). My last blood panel had my LDL cholesterol in the low 50's and my HDL in the low 60's. I'd pit those results against anyone's.

ETA: plus I've lost 80 pounds on my high fat, high calorie plant based diet...the key is to use more energy than you consume, and a nutrient rich diet gives you the energy to move more.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#10 of 16 Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Trans fats can be addicting and really anything processed can form habits. The chemicals that are released in your brain when certain food are eaten are what make them addicting. Just like anti-depressants. At least that's what my Nutrition Professor said. You need fat, but you can make the majority of it come from polyunsaturated fats so that it's not so addicting.

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

#11 of 16 Old 09-16-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambereva View Post
Me too. Eating copious amounts of animal fats seems to be a new fad, and I just can't get on board with it. Don't get me wrong, I eat quite a bit of fat, about 40% of my 3000 daily calories come from fat, but it's all plant based (and plenty of it is saturated, from nuts and chocolate). My last blood panel had my LDL cholesterol in the low 50's and my HDL in the low 60's. I'd pit those results against anyone's.

ETA: plus I've lost 80 pounds on my high fat, high calorie plant based diet...the key is to use more energy than you consume, and a nutrient rich diet gives you the energy to move more.
I wouldn't say that eating animal fats is a new fad. Eating animal fats is how humans evolved. So while lately it seems like its getting a lot of new followers on the Paleo and Primal diets, its not something new its just we are going back to what we SHOULD have been doing all along.
#12 of 16 Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmommie View Post
Trans fats can be addicting and really anything processed can form habits. The chemicals that are released in your brain when certain food are eaten are what make them addicting. Just like anti-depressants. At least that's what my Nutrition Professor said. You need fat, but you can make the majority of it come from polyunsaturated fats so that it's not so addicting.
I don't believe butter is a trans fat, isn't it a saturated fat?

OP--I eat a good amount of butter when I eat it. I think there can be room for anything important to you in a healthy diet. If you are losing weight or are happy with your weight, don't worry about it.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#13 of 16 Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Butter no, but vegan butter probably.

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

#14 of 16 Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmommie View Post
Butter no, but vegan butter probably.
Ah okay. Trans fat is seriously bad news and should be shunned. If it's in vegan butter and that's what you eat, don't. It is very bad for the heart.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#15 of 16 Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM

Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" does a very good job of debunking the low fat diet advice that doctors have been advocating for the past 40 years or so.

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#16 of 16 Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo0685 View Post
I wouldn't say that eating animal fats is a new fad. Eating animal fats is how humans evolved. So while lately it seems like its getting a lot of new followers on the Paleo and Primal diets, its not something new its just we are going back to what we SHOULD have been doing all along.
people used to have shorter life expectancies, too.

My grandparents and parents all ate lots of animal fat, and all ended up with heart problems. By the time my parents were my age, both were on drugs to control their cholesterol.

I just don't buy that eating lots of animal fat is good for *most* people's long term health. Obviously, every body is different and we are all just playing the odds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page