Slow weight gain. What am I doing wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've noticed over the last 2 or 3 months, that I have slowly been gaining weight. I've tried tracking my food and getting back into running, but I'm still on a slow gain. What am I doing/not doing that I can't get back on top of this? I'm about to turn 38 in a month and I know our matabolism (sp) slows down as we age, but this is crazy! I'm really feeling depressed about it. I do have some days where my fook intake is to high, so I'll work on that but sometimes it feels like even holding back on eating I easly top 1500 calories. I try to run every other day, sometimes just a mile of walking, but usually at least 3 miles. I'm so bumed about it....
#2 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Our metabolism doesn't have to slow down. Slowing metabolism is a product of inactivity and loss of muscle mass, not a product of age. I'm almost 38 as well, and I can eat twice as many calories a day to maintain my weight as I could 10 years ago, because I'm more active and have more muscle mass.

I'd suggest tracking your calories and activity very carefully for a week or two. You can use a site like fitday, sparkpeople or caloriecount to help. You'll probably find some extra calories hiding somewhere. If not, it's possible you have some kind of endocrine issue at work and a trip to your health practitioner could help shed some light on things.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
How's your emotional state? Are you stressed? Depressed? Overwhelmed? Afraid? Angry?

Many of us are prone to eating emotionally, and I do believe that our bodies process food differently when we are emotionally out of wack, storing fat rather than buring fuel.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Yes...being stressed makes causes your metabolism to slow and your body to hold onto the weight.

Maybe try some strength-training in addition to the running. I find that I really need to do strength training to keep my muscle mass up and my metabolism active. Just aerobic exercise doesn't do it.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM

SLeep....?

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Wow, I seriously was going to post a very similar message to you, Jillie. I've noticed that since I stopped BFing in February 2010, my pants fit snugger. I had begun to fit into even the snuggest pants from pre-pregnancy days, and now I have to totally suck in to squeeze into them.
I've gained a few pounds though I feel that nothing has changed except that I don't BF anymore.
I'm so depressed about it... Not sure if I can help just wanted to say that I feel like I'm experiencing the same thing.

Stress, yes
Sleep, not much right now (see toddlers forum on lack of sleep posts, but i go to bed by 10:30 every night. I know sleep is important. sighhh)
Exercise, 3 times per week on average - good weeks 4X though I am not doing enough strength training mostly cardio - this is due to time mostly - I don't have enough...

My goal is to get back to 125 pounds. I'm currently 138. But in Feb, I was actually hovering between 132 and 134, and in general my hips/butt/thigh area felt smaller.
I'm somewhat distraught.

My exercise goal right now might be to get back to some regular yoga practice. This was a big part of my life pre pregnancy and due to timing constraints has gone out the window since becoming a Working Mom.

Anyway. Should we start a support each other thread???

loving momma to babyboy.gif born 11/2008, and his baby brother diaper.gif5/2012, just trying to stay balanced namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page